Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Empty
PostSubject: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Anybody own this? What are your thoughts on the playability, tone, factory setup of this guitar? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 7:57 am

Wow, many replies!!
Geuss you're the only one with good taste...
....do some talking about your 335 and my 295??
cheers
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 am

I own it! It has become my main instrument. It is absolutely the most versatile instrument I have ever purchased.

Great for everything from Chuck Berry licks to Johnny Smith jazz tones.

You can see it here with some of its friends:

Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Gear

It was set up fine when I bought, no problems - the playability was wonderful. I tried 2 before buying and this one did have a better neck than the other one. Always try to play them first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 1:47 pm

I reply to too much... I was hoping there would be more guitarists helping our
pal out!

let me know when I should butt in. albino
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 7:28 am

Ahhhh Sharky, good to hear. My hubby is looking into purchasing this, and wants some feedback. He knows I spend way too much time on here, but he asked me to post the question anyway to see what you guys think. He played another 335 (with a different finish is all i can remember...but I think it was a custom shop job. WAY out of our price range), and was really impressed with it. I liked the sound he was getting, and he was running in clean into the display amp w/o any effects. (no, I don't remember the amp set up...I was too busy explaining to him the many reasons why we couldn't afford it at the time)

Me, I'm just thrilled that he's looking to buy a new guitar and branch out a bit. The Satin finish looks sweet, and this guitar is definitely within our price range.

Any additional info someone may have out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
hrg
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 9:18 am

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
Ahhhh Sharky, good to hear. My hubby is looking into purchasing this, and wants some feedback. He knows I spend way too much time on here, but he asked me to post the question anyway to see what you guys think. He played another 335 (with a different finish is all i can remember...but I think it was a custom shop job. WAY out of our price range), and was really impressed with it. I liked the sound he was getting, and he was running in clean into the display amp w/o any effects. (no, I don't remember the amp set up...I was too busy explaining to him the many reasons why we couldn't afford it at the time)

Me, I'm just thrilled that he's looking to buy a new guitar and branch out a bit. The Satin finish looks sweet, and this guitar is definitely within our price range.

Any additional info someone may have out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
hrg

I know that epiphone is synonymous with "economy".. but I've received so many
of the Dot Deluxes or Sheraton Grands in the shop for a new set of pickups and tuners
that I can say sound and feel better than the basic model gibson crap that the company keeps producing. Yes the custom level guitars are good instruments, but are sooooo out of sight with the pricing.
I can pretty much guarantee that if you get an Epip dot deluxe, drop in either
a great set of Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan, or even tvjones tv'tron mount filtertrons
(my buddy had me drop in the powertron+ tv'tron mounts in his,wow) with a set
of good Grover tuners... it'll kick ass for less than $600.

FWIW... Edwards guitars in japan builds ESP's cstm shop guitars, they happen to make
LPs, 335s and SGs that are clones of Gibsons...BUT the tone woods are lighter, better grained...the fretboards and frets are superior to gibson work and the electronics are
seymour duncan antiquity series.
A pal just imported one from Japn to so cal for $100. the guitar cost $900. We took it
down to guitar center,plugged into a fender custom shop VibrKing to put it up against a $3K custom Gib LP and the Edwards
beat it in fit,finish and tone. So much so the employees got excited about it.

I still dont understand why gibson downline "epiphone" is such a better guitar...
I can rightfully complain since I have owned 1 gibson Les Paul Black Beauty, 1 gibson
studio LP and 2 mid 80s SGs..
My Dads Epi Sheraton Grand and joe Pass Emperior II models kick big ass over
the upline. not to mention my Epi ES-295.

Let me talk to your man, lady!! I'll help him out. cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:40 pm

I am sooooo out of my league, but definitely in the right place here. I'll let the Mr. in on my account and you guys can all chat guitars while I go get the sammiches and beer. Wink

Thanks for the help guys!
hrg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish   Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gibson ES 335 Satin Finish
Page 1 of 1