Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...

Go down 
+9
I'm Incinerator
Andi
Rickabilly
Twenty Flight Rick
badkitty
donpepe
webelvis
Brett
Gloria
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gloria

Gloria

"One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Empty
PostSubject: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Love Partners In Crime!!!! God I love this song. Brian, this is one of the best songs you've ever written...EVER! I love the Broadway sound it has. After a few listens to this song, it reminded me of Sammy Davis' I'm A Brass Band. I had to pull out my "I've Gotta Be Me" album to play that song! Smile

The threesome of Love Partners In Crime, Passion Of The Night and Dimes In The Jar is my favorite part of the album. Those three songs together are perfect. That mesmerizing guitar riff in Dimes In The Jar gets in my head and I can't get it out. Love it!

Lyrically, I love Dead Man Incorportated (I just love the whole story it tells) and Passion Of The Night ("Nighttime breaks and so does my heart, it's beautifully broken in two" and "Spellbound, Hell bound, what do I care"). There are some nifty lyrics in both of these songs. Eddie Nichols has a great mobster voice in King Of The Whole Damn World.

Oooh, I can't wait to get the box set. Sigh. I want to see all of the great photos of Brian in the BIG size.

I really like the new album...a lot, especially listening to it all the way through. Great concept album! Ya done good, Brian!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Gloria wrote:
Love Partners In Crime!!!! God I love this song. Brian, this is one of the best songs you've ever written...EVER! I love the Broadway sound it has. After a few listens to this song, it reminded me of Sammy Davis' I'm A Brass Band. I had to pull out my "I've Gotta Be Me" album to play that song! Smile ....

yep, cannot say it the same way (because i`m not native english, Sad )
but i totalx agree with you.
The song is top.

For the album i`m still waiting, German Amazon deliver around 16th... Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 9:29 am

Brett,

Your English is better than my German. Very Happy No matter, we understand each other about how great the music is. The 16th is not that far away, although I’ll bet it seems like an eternity for you, but it’ll be worth it! Once Trouble Train starts, you’ll be in for one wild ride. The best part is you can take that same ride over and over again as many times as you want! For me, each time I play the cd, it gets better and better. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks Gloria.... Smile
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:55 am

Brett wrote:
For the album i`m still waiting, German Amazon deliver around 16th... Mad

Same for me, ordered the CD and LP Bundle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 am

Just gave it a spin, a darn good cd. I like the overall jazz feeling, the songs have nice structures and character, some
lyrics are somewhat "obvious" but it's ok. The guy sings pretty good, husky sound , says I. I think this record
will win more audience for BS and at the same time die-hard rockabillies will think him as a sellout.
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 am

It's an interesting effort, and I do like the songs "Trouble Train", Gimme Some Rhythm Daddy", and "Dimes in a Jar." Having said this, I find very little to love overall on this album. We've heard a lot of it before, haven't we? Isn't "Mr. Jazzer Goes Surfin'" a rehash of "Rumble in Brighton"? Honestly, I will say that the musicianship and production values here are excellent. Just not too "wowed" by the cd, overall. I also feel that Setzer's vocals are realty showing serious wear. Backlash as you will, folks,
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 6:49 am

Actually, Badkitty, I am in agreement with you.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 am

badkitty wrote:
It's an interesting effort, and I do like the songs "Trouble Train", Gimme Some Rhythm Daddy", and "Dimes in a Jar." Having said this, I find very little to love overall on this album. We've heard a lot of it before, haven't we? Isn't "Mr. Jazzer Goes Surfin'" a rehash of "Rumble in Brighton"? Honestly, I will say that the musicianship and production values here are excellent. Just not too "wowed" by the cd, overall. I also feel that Setzer's vocals are realty showing serious wear. Backlash as you will, folks,

You're wrong.

HAHAHAHA! Just kidding. I wanted to see how ridiculous that looked in print. I think people with differing opinions often mistake an opposing opinion for some sort of attack or someone telling them they're wrong. How can someone's opinion be wrong? It's THEIR opinion!

I don't know how someone records 28 albums without borrowing bits from previous work. I guess cynics will complain about similar sounds as a re-hash, while optimists might call it a "signature sound." Personally, I hear bits of "Rumble In Brighton" more in "Dead Man Incorporated" than "Mr. Surfer." But I'm not gonna call every arpeggiated blues bassline or descending minor scale Brian plays a "Rumble re-hash." But there's a lot more going on in both tunes than the walking "Rumble" line, which is a pretty standard figure in a lot of 40s boogie woogie, and millions of tunes after the era. Brian certainly didn't invent it, but maybe because it's coming out of his guitar, fans will recognize it as "Rumble In Brighton." If you're looking for it, it will be there. If there were songs about cars, some people would be saying "not again. Too derivative." You want complete originality? Go buy a Yoko Ono album.

As for Brian's singing voice, the guy's 50, not 25 or 35. Show me a rocker whose voice was every bit as strong at 50 as even 10 years before, never mind a rocker who is also a crooner. Most rockers are dropping keys 3-4 steps just to squeeze old songs into their vocal range, which, if you're a piano man like Billy Joel or Elton John, means nothing more than having an adjustable-pitch keyboard. I love AC/DC, but these days, Brian Johnston sounds like he's gargling razor blades. I saw Paul McCartney when he was 50, and it was painful to hear him stretch for some of those notes he wrote when he was 22. I didn't really care. It's Paul freakin' McCartney!Shoot, Brian Setzer's played a tuned-down version of "I Won't Stand In Your Way" since 1998. Even great opera singers, who people often think hit their peak in their 40s and 50s, actually cannot reach high notes with as great a consistency as they get older. It's called the aging process. And I think vocally, it's treated Setzer better than many in his profession.

He's not gonna belt out "Since I Don't Have You" or "Gloria" with the same soaring vocal range he had even 10 years ago. I don't expect it, nor will I be in a hurry to point it out, other than to say that I think Brian has used his current vocal range well on this album. There is a saloon-singer type of authenticity in his voice on "Lonely Avenue." And the soaring vocals on "Dimes In a Jar" have this edge that is just as impressive as the smoothness on his doo-wop vocals from 10-15 years ago. The lyrics sound semi-autobiographical and the voice brings a toughness that leads the listener to believe he's lived every word of that song.

I do believe the "safe" cover versions tunes and re-worked Stray Cats numbers are crowd pleasers, and helped carry previous albums. Even the artist with the current #1 album in the US, Michael Buble, only included 2 originals on his latest effort. I applaud Brian for coming with all original material and being able to work it into a concept album. (Although the Flamenco etude "Elena" seems a bit out of step with the rest of the album. I didn't realize "Zorro" was film noir. ) I look forward to the Japan edition, as I think the instrumental version of "Lonely Avenue" will be a perfect "closing credits" piece for the album.

Look at me, using up some of the material I shoulda put into a review. Guess I better get to work. Still haven't received the proper CD yet. Although it looks like UPS is dropping off the vinyl as we speak. (Not the Limited Edition vinyl - don't get excited - that's a few weeks away!) Damn! That back cover of the album is gorgeous! A much bigger and better cut of Andi's photo than on the CD.

When I get through the liner notes, etc, I'll try to organize my thoughts a little better than I have so far in a way that will do the album justice.

Ramblin' Wreck-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 8:36 am

badkitty and Twenty Flight Rick, just out of curiosity, what would it have taken for it to *be* something you actually did love? Not being facetious, just curious.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks for asking Andi! I've been hesitant to post any comments until I spend more time with the music - I've only given it 3 listens front to back. I also don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking either. What I like so far - Trouble Train, Lonely Avenue, My Baby Don't Love Me Blues. I'll leave the rest alone for now. Of the instrumentals, Mr Jazzer Goes Surfin' is my favorite, with Elena a close second. Mr Surfer could have been left off IMHO as I don't think it fits. Great guitar work, as you would expect from The Man, throughout the entire record.

Back to your question. BSO is my favorite Setzer musical outlet. Usually there's been something on each release that grabs me at first listen, a song that sparks an excitement about the music. To use Rick's term, maybe it's a crowd pleaser, like a cover, or a single. I could list those ignition moments by album, beginning with the Dirty Boogie cd, since that was my first, if I thought that would add value. Anyway, this material doesn't provide that for me. Just my 2 cents as of this moment...
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am

After giving it a couple listens, I think I could provide a few words.

This is my first album I have of Brian's catalog, maybe there is better albums to start with, but that's not what matters. I am familiar with Brian's work as a songwriter and a guitarist through out his career, so these aren't the first songs of his I've heard.

First and foremost, I gotta say the production (mastering?) of this album on to a cd is great. The sound is very smooth, I didn't hear a whole lot (or any at all for that matter) of spikes, peaks, or dead frequencies. The levels were all great. I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do notice these things when I listen to an album.

I think the songs are great. I'm not much for the crooner jazz music, but I don't see myself getting tired of these songs. The rocking songs are great, especially "Dimes", that is a great blues riff. The only song I feel that just didn't belong was the acoustic instrumental at the end. I second that an instrumental of Lonely Avenue or something like that would have been great.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 am

donpepe wrote:
Just gave it a spin, a darn good cd. I think this record
will win more audience for BS and at the same time die-hard rockabillies will think him as a sellout.

hehehe...yep. Like last year.
We just have had this discussion on a german Rockabilly Board. But this time we won... cheers

My cpoy is on the way....

Webby?
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 11:24 am

I like all of 'em but choose which ones to listen to depending on my mood at the time. While I absolutely LOVE the song Lonely Avenue, sometimes I just have to skip it because it literally makes me too sad! Having come to appreciate Love Partners in Crime and Passion of the Night more with every listen, the only one I skip regularly now is Elena. Then when I do listen to it, I think "wow, why have I been skipping that??"

As I mentioned in my review, I am surprised that there isn't a big orchestral instrumental, laden with wailing horns and crime-drama intent. It's the only thing I'm really missing on this record.
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 11:53 am

Well, as usual, rick seems to "allow" me an opinion (how generous) while rushing to the uber defense of Brian. Well, sure, everyone's voice ages. Some age better than others, that's all. Robert Plant and Steve Miller are quite a bit older than Brian, and their voices have aged much better, imo. There is a quality now in Brian's voice that I have noticed over the past few years that sounds frail and thready. I think it probably has more to do with his hearing loss than anything else. It must be frustrating no end, to be a musician, and not be able to really hear yourself well. As to answering andi, well, I don't know. Something either grabs you, and moves you, or it doesn't. I always give Brian credit, though for being fearless in trying new things. I enjoyed Wolfgang a lot, for instance. Just not finding the same level of enjoyment with this release, however.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Actually, I was rushing to your defense as people tend to give you a lot of flack for your frequent and occasionally blunt criticisms. Obviously, you can look after yourself.

I didn't know Steve Miller had much of a vocal range to begin with, (though I loved his jazz album with Ben Sidran) so I expect that since it hasn't really been taxed over the years it would hold up quite well. I love Steve Miller's music, but I don't think he's exactly made a career of pushing himself vocally.

Robert Plant is a freak of nature, and a great example of someone who has kept his voice up pretty well. I don't know that his vocal style is even remotely comparable with Setzer's, but he's very good at what he does.

I remember hearing a Katherine Hepburn-esque warble in Brian's voice back on "Mr. Grinch" and being a bit concerned even then. And with Wolfgang, Brian provided vocals on just one song. So I was very interested in hearing his voice on "Lonely Avenue." It is different, and perhaps not as strong, but for me, it seems to work well with the material on this album.

There are definitely songs on this latest release where he almost speaks the lyrics when he might have crooned them 10 years ago, like "My Baby Don't Love Me Blues." But for me, whatever weariness I hear in that vocal fits the dark mood of the song. I'm a huge Billie Holiday fan, and when she re-emerged onto the scene in the 1950s, her voice was considerably weaker than it had been in her prime, but it somehow made her songs, especially her ballads, even more poignant. (Mind you, I'm not saying Brian's experienced anything resembling a Holiday-esque decline, I'm just saying a good vocalist can adapt to the changes in their voice.)

Whether it's hearing loss or shouting over a big band for 15 years, Brian's voice has paid a price. You can hear the limitations sometimes in concert, but usually, he's good at recognizing when to go for the higher notes and when to take it down. I recall a video from Australia or Europe last year where he went for a falsetto note at the end of "I Won't Stand In Your Way" and nailed it.

I think I probably hear a lot of the same things you're hearing badkitty. It just doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the music and in many cases, enhances it.

Respectfully stated without a hint of condescension,

Truce-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Brett wrote:

Webby?

Mine not Crying or Very sad Amazon says that I'll have to wait until october 23 Crying or Very sad
I think I have to kill somebody Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 pm

webelvis wrote:
Brett wrote:

Webby?

Mine not Crying or Very sad Amazon says that I'll have to wait until october 23 Crying or Very sad

Is it a pre order as well?
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Brett wrote:
webelvis wrote:
Brett wrote:

Webby?

Is it a pre order as well?
Yeah, surely but it's the bundle they offered consisting of the Album on CD and Vinyl
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Okay, so his voice has been changing. Hell, I remember seeing him at the HOB in LA with the Stray Cats for the Carl Perkins tribute show - what, 11 years ago? And just before doing "I Won't Stand in Your Way," he mentioned that his balls hadn't yet dropped when he wrote that song. (There's a visual that has stuck with me for all these years... hahaha!!!) So it's been going on for quite a while now.

But really, when you think about it, what do we expect him to do? Nothing but instrumentals? Hang up his musical career completely? Naw! The fella can still sing up a storm - so he works with it. I think he sounds quite expressive with this material (but then I am most definitely not an impartial listener.)
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 1:08 pm

I bought John Fogerty's latest album, The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again. The album is all covers, but the "sound" is unmistakenly John Fogerty. That's pretty much the way it is for any of the artists that I have followed over the years. I guess that's why I keep following them, because I like their particular sound. Okay, some songs (for any artist) sound a bit like this song or that song. Some albums aren't my favorites and I may not play them that often, but there is always a handful of favorites on each album I buy for any of my favorites. Now, if Brian did rap music, one of two things would happen. I'd either play the album, and if I didn't like it, it would get shoved in the cd drawer forever, or he'd hook me on his rap cd (or at least some songs on it). When Linda Ronstadt did her What's New album (all standards with Nelson Riddle), I remember that most of the songs were slow and although she has a great singing voice for any type of music, listening to slow song after slow song after slow song was boring for me. But, she did several of those types of albums, so she must have had a successful run with them. I'm not sure I'd be crazy about Brian doing an entire album of Lonely Avenues and I love how that song follows the upbeat Gimme Some Rhythm Daddy. It suddenly calms everything down at the right time. I do like that for the most part of an album, Brian keeps the songs pretty upbeat, I think more so than any of the other artists I follow (and most of the artists I follow are well into their 60's).

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions about Brian's music and I guess that's a chance he takes when he does something different, but I wonder what would happen if he went to our jobs and critiqued the way we do our work. (He'd probably have very few fans left.) "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Iconlmao

On that note I say, have a good weekend, guys. I'm off to see Lee Rocker!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Andi wrote:

But really, when you think about it, what do we expect him to do? Nothing but instrumentals? Hang up his musical career completely? Naw! The fella can still sing up a storm - so he works with it. I think he sounds quite expressive with this material (but then I am most definitely not an impartial listener.)

As usual, Andi gets it. Unfortunately, defending a positive opinion always draws more attention to the negative opinion, so I've probably made more fans and hangers-on squirm by dragging out the discussion of Brian's maturing voice.

And with that, the tedious analysis of this album is over for me. In the words of Paul McCartney:

"I don't like people explaining albums. The only way you can explain it is to hear it. The album is the explanation, and it's up to you to make what you want of it."

Listen to What the Man Said-a-billy
Back to top Go down
lisathegreaser.

lisathegreaser.

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Brian never disappoints me in the 30 years of his carrer. I love this new album!
I wanted to go to the NYC show aka hometown show. 100 bucks a ticket. First time
ever I missed a BSO tour. I even went a few times whole east coast tour.
Just cant' afford spend the money for a ticket.

Great new CD!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I wish there was a ratings feature here so you could "+1" or "thumbs up" interesting or insightful posts...

lisathegreaser. wrote:
Great new CD!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

...or just ones that make you smile.

sunny
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:17 pm

I wouldn't want or expect Brian to "hang up" anything. He's still a great musician, but he has always had vocal limitations, that worked fine for rockabilly, but was always a bit out of his league for the big band stuff. If you're Eddie Cochran, why try to suddenly turn into Frank Sinatra? That aside, I wasn't trying to compare Plant or Miller to Setzer, as they have very different styles. I just think they are good examples of older rockers who have been able to hang onto their "signature" sound well. Of course, it's also a fair argument that Miller is really Satan, and Plant is the AntiChrist, so I guess that would leave Brian at an unfair disadvantage. Wink It's all good, though; I'll still come out to see Brian any time, regardless of whether I like this release, or that, or whatever. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...   "One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"One-two-three-four" words about 'Lonely Avenue...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next