Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blondshell

Go down 
+6
webelvis
Twenty Flight Rick
tvthewiredturtle
I'm Incinerator
Pistol Pete
chunkymac
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
chunkymac

Blondshell - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm

shame your all so far away.....
would be great to hire out a rehearsal space and have a real shoot-out comparision.

How much extra was it for one with the 240V transformer???
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 pm

chunkymac wrote:
shame your all so far away.....
would be great to hire out a rehearsal space and have a real shoot-out comparision.

How much extra was it for one with the 240V transformer???

hey CM, I dont do the 240/220 thing. We can install the tapped output that
has leads for 240v but it'd put another C note on the cost. Plus I dont know
what 240v does to the original sound of a blonde bassman.
When they were originally built in so cal we had 110v and now our walls are
120v (220v for heavy machinery) so even the vintage amps are gettin hit
with more power than they first were.

Knudi is the only one I know so far that has ordered a 240v OT directly from Mercury Magnetics and swapped
our Mercury Mags blonde tone clone 120V OT for it. Since the Oz crew are using a step down transformer they are hearing what we hear more or less.
This of course voids anything we personally would warrantee other than the stock transformer manufacturers warrantee of 10yrs from Mercury mags (the OT , the choke and the PT... the reverb tranny is a hammond)

ps. Pete if you want a brighter sound than stock you can remove the spring tank output cables and dime the control knob.. that will open the circuit even more if you want real crisp highs for crunch. Technically when the reverb knob is all the in the "off" position, the reverb circuit is completely out of the amps circuit but if its even on a scootch.. its engaged. I've got a NOS GE 12AT7 in mine because I dont wanna surf all the time
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, Pete is using the Step down transformer that I used to use. My Bassman has a new 240V transformer in it. I got the original at home, but it needs to be fixed, hence the new 240V transformer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 pm

In all honesty I didn't want to change anything on this amp, hence the step down transformer. My theory is that the Mercury Magnetics transformer MUST be part of the tone equation......why change it?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
In all honesty I didn't want to change anything on this amp, hence the step down transformer. My theory is that the Mercury Magnetics transformer MUST be part of the tone equation......why change it?

youre right, mostly... I've had several original blonde bassman amps that had replacement output transformers (rarely a pwr transformer) and they behave
much differently than the stock 63' I own.. Darker and browner the replacement
OTs are.. mostly BECAUSE they are not the correct transformers. Mercury magnetics
has been in business since the 50s and currently the only company making actual
replicas of this hifi audio output transformer. The power transformer is still very
important but I really have no idea what a 240v version does or sounds like. I only
know that those who have purchased Marsh bassmans with this euro option have not
been too happy with the end results.. in that they dont do the setzer thing we love.
Transformer saturation and high mids clipping ala Hollywood Nocturne.
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 am

im being thick now, what do you mean by tapped output????
Would it have a voltage switch on it, like the old fender export models.

I know Pete is gettin great results from using a step-down but have always worried about getting a U.S spec amp and then forgetting the step-down transformer for a gig and that its another component that could contribute towards any problems, hum, noise etc etc.

The one marsh bassman i heard was awesome sounding, but it was llloooouuuuddd. In fact was probably too loud for the venue it was in, but that sound wow.
at the risk of opening a can of worms, if they are building the amps to original spec using brand new components, could this be what the originals sounded like brand new and all the brand new amps need is 40 years of being played and worn in???? just a thought....
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 am

chunkymac wrote:
im being thick now, what do you mean by tapped output????
Would it have a voltage switch on it, like the old fender export models.

I know Pete is gettin great results from using a step-down but have always worried about getting a U.S spec amp and then forgetting the step-down transformer for a gig and that its another component that could contribute towards any problems, hum, noise etc etc.

The one marsh bassman i heard was awesome sounding, but it was llloooouuuuddd. In fact was probably too loud for the venue it was in, but that sound wow.
at the risk of opening a can of worms, if they are building the amps to original spec using brand new components, could this be what the originals sounded like brand new and all the brand new amps need is 40 years of being played and worn in???? just a thought....

The euro power transformer is tapped and could be set up with a switch like the old vox amps. BUT... We would not be setting it up that way..there would be 2 extra leads coming off the PT but they would be capped off inside the chassis for someone else to set up the pwr section of the amp for 2++.

btw.. unless your marsh amp is using the Mercury Magnetics Tone Clone+ blonde 6G6-B output transformer, choke and power transformer WITH small bottle reissue Tungsol 5881 (or NOS 5881 or 6L6WGB) that amp will be a brute like most black face and silverface bassmans can be. ESPECIALLY if they used the Heyboer Transformers because Heyboer only sells a bassman 63'
compliant/compatible OT and it is not an actual replica 6G6-B OT like the MM OT.

Doesnt mean its bad sounding, but its gonna make the amp behave differently in the pwr section and the tone and texture of a blonde 6G6-B is coming mostly from
the power tubes and output transformer. The correct spec OT will respond like an original when pushed (using the smaller bottle 6L6 style tube duet that runs about 40watts) and you get transformer saturation. When the re301 preamp is in front its then pushing everything even harder.

I mean to a degree loud is loud! Its not arguable its just loud and from there its about degrees of tolerance to sound pressure levels. Smile I believe the design of the Blondeshell is to give you a much fuller sonic footprint at a lower SPL than a stock blonde bassman or bassman clone.
I never said I was making a blonde clone. I said I took the normal channel side of a blonde bassman's circuit and layout and went from there. Liberties have to be taken in order for it to all suss out. I mean we added a princeton reverb style circuit into the amp as well. Literally cramming a large chassis amp with its full size Iron onto and into a princetone size chassis and head cab. Although there is nothing about this amp that has anything to do with a princeton other than the chassis dimensions and the tube spring reverb. Even that is not really a princeton sounding reverb. Its our reverb
that doesnt get in the way of the amp itself.
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

cool now i get ya.
Thanks for answering my silly questions, just wanna make a proper informed decision.

Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 am

chunkymac wrote:
cool now i get ya.
Thanks for answering my silly questions, just wanna make a proper informed decision.

...BUY....ONE...END...OF...STORY!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAH
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 am

It's threads like this that make me broke, or make me put forth the effort to save Smile

I haven't really used reverb in years. I've grown fond of some slapback echo, so It's a cool little trick to disconnect the reverb tank and have another way to achieve more gain! Though some spacey ambient reverb would be cool. I don't do surf much...most of my attempts to do surf always end up very spaghetti western-ish, or very folky in a southwest america/northern mexico desert kind of way. So, ambience and space is where I'd say I like my reverb, but to know it does surf is cool for those Dick Dale moments
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:02 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Knudi is the only one I know so far that has ordered a 240v OT directly from Mercury Magnetics and swapped
our Mercury Mags blonde tone clone 120V OT for it.

That is correct, I did that with big luck and it is normal over here. There is alot of amps "guys" over here which buy 110V old fender amps and adds the 240V transformer. It dosen`t affect the sound, at least that is what I have been told.

Now, I don`t know how a orginal blonde 63 bassman sounds live, I have only Setzer to compare with and in my point of view a blondeshell with a 240V MM is the read deal!
I am about to buy a new digital camera so I should put up a video soon. I also have a blond Telecaster RW on its way. Can`t wait to get that one through the monster blondeshell.

Off topic;
Anyone tried the Neo Instruments Ventilator?
I`m gonna buy me one on Monday.
I think it really sounds like a killer Leslie based upon what I have seen and heard on the youtube vids.

Blondshell - Page 2 1-vent10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIfCwo3aD-0&feature=related

Love the "let it loose" riff from Stones in the end.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 am

I hadnt see that because I'm waiting for this to be released.
the strymon LEX rotary. if its anything like the el capistan through my preamp
and blonde, i may never recover from the joy of braked Leslie! got vids on
the ventilator?

here's somethin pn the lex
he finally hits the thing on at 1:35
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I hadnt see that because I'm waiting for this to be released.
the strymon LEX rotary. if its anything like the el capistan through my preamp
and blonde, i may never recover from the joy of braked Leslie! got vids on
the ventilator?

yes, I really enjoy this one.

and also this one.

Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 am

Cranking the Atomic and Brain Seltzer wide open and at low volume on the Blondeshell for this jam at our last jam.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 10:49 am

Pistol Pete wrote:

Cranking the Atomic and Brain Seltzer wide open and at low volume on the Blondeshell for this jam at our last jam.

where is the bassist hiding Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm

awesome, that tone is the nuts..
I wish i could nick your rig for the week, have got a week of being in the orchestra for the local cabaret/show, we treat it like our own version of the BSO.
It is great practise, playing everything from mack the knife to music from the Bugsy Malone musical to Don't stop believing (the glee version)
My poor deluxe clone just goes into a beautiful overdrive though when trying to compete with a horn section and a drummer and am having to use the Nocturne as a way of getting more clean headroom out of the amp by bringing the gritsch right down, it does a wonderful job of keeping it all sparkly but it just feels wrong using it that way.....
I need some bassman/blondshell power
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 12:58 pm

chunkymac wrote:
awesome, that tone is the nuts..
I wish i could nick your rig for the week, have got a week of being in the orchestra for the local cabaret/show, we treat it like our own version of the BSO.
It is great practise, playing everything from mack the knife to music from the Bugsy Malone musical to Don't stop believing (the glee version)
My poor deluxe clone just goes into a beautiful overdrive though when trying to compete with a horn section and a drummer and am having to use the Nocturne as a way of getting more clean headroom out of the amp by bringing the gritsch right down, it does a wonderful job of keeping it all sparkly but it just feels wrong using it that way.....
I need some bassman/blondshell power

Well....lucky for you, the Blondeshell IS available from Tavo! hahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Pistol Pete wrote:

where is the bassist hiding Suspect Suspect

To the left BEHIND the PA speaker. There is a wall there, that's where he is.
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:05 pm

would be a bit unfair to get him to knock me one up in 24 hours.......
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 pm

is "jam" the moniker used in Oz for "rehearsal in the living room at salvy's" ? clown

holy cowboys it was probably LOUD in that spot, did the neighbors call the police?
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
is "jam" the moniker used in Oz for "rehearsal in the living room at salvy's" ? clown

holy cowboys it was probably LOUD in that spot, did the neighbors call the police?

Nah, we rehearse upstairs at my place or the drummers place!!
We jammed this actually at our last GIG not JAM.
Remember jamming at gigs, anyone? Our band has a tradition to always jam 1 song that we never have played or rehearsed before! hahahaha
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Nah, we rehearse upstairs at my place or the drummers place!!
We jammed this actually at our last GIG not JAM.
Remember jamming at gigs, anyone? Our band has a tradition to always jam 1 song that we never have played or rehearsed before! hahahaha

doesnt that make Patrons leave? (not saying you do this, just what I have witnessed
at bars at times )
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Another song we jammed out that same day. That we had been the funeral of one of the members of Cold Chisel (the original band that wrote and had a hit with this song before the Living End) and being local Adelaide boys, we thought a jam would be appropiate!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm

but you have hair in that video
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 am

I'm trying to figure out the wife's view on getting a blondeshell.

In the past, she's mentioned that she would be cool with it if I saved and got it myself, with out her help or etc.

Then she mentioned last night that there are other things that should come first...I believe she has the baby fever Shocked .

I'm going to keep on saving, because I'm still TCB'ing on the other expenses. Eventually I will get one of these, in due time...just kind of deflated my hopes a smidge.

I even mentioned that I would start purging some of the other gear I currently have scratch

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blondshell
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: