Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!

Go down 
+6
Rickabilly
donpepe
laurent327
JC
Jess
Rocky Mountain Cat
10 posters
AuthorMessage

HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Empty
PostSubject: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm

For the most complete coverage of the Rockabilly Riot Tour, visit Slim Jon's excellent site. There you will find many photos, video clips of live performances, and more. There is also a ton of other stuff to see there....

But for discussion purposes, here is the Paris setlist, courtesy of the extremely busy Slim Jon. Thank you Slim!

Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot
June 28, 2011
L' Grand Rex
Paris, France

1st Set:
Ignition
'49 Mercury Blues
This Cat's On A Hot Tin Roof
Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder)
8-Track
Slow Down > Folsom Prison Blues
Put Your Cat Clothes On
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Pickpocket
2nd Set (with Slim Jim Phantom):
Rumble In Brighton
Runaway Boys
(She's) Sexy + 17
Stray Cat Strut
Red Hot
Blast Off
Fishnet Stockings
1st Encore:
Rock This Town
2nd Encore:
Seven Nights To Rock

It's a bit short - a few more songs would be nice. That said, I do think it's a nice mixture - Stray Cats, '68 CBS, Nashvillains, Instru-mental - plus Seven Nights To Rock is a great final song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 pm

short...... this is almost a joke, people paid to get in....... Hope it'll be a bit longer in Copenhagen
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 am

18 songs! Thats only around an hour on stage...
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 am

last night in Paris, duration 1h30.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 am

I heard that in Bordeaux it was just 70 min...

Anyway, blog updated with many videos and a few cool pics!
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 am

Hmm, kind of short setlist and maybe a couple of too obvious songs.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:19 am

Seven Nights to Rock was great with Stray Cats, but it seems it would be unbeatable with Kevin McKendree's pumpin' piano. After all, the original was recorded by the great honky tonkin' boogie woogie piano player Moon Mullican.

I'm sure a lot of these songs can be stretched live - Fishnet Stockings and Rock This Town could be 7-8 minutes with solos. I have to say I'm missing the piano intro to Rock This Town. The one version I saw on YouTube starts with Brian's guitar. But I prefer the version with the boogie woogie piano like we heard on Red Hot and Live.

A lot of fans here catch every tour, buy every DVD, album, etc., so seeing a lot of the same tunes might be a little less interesting, but I'll bet more than half the people at the show are seeing Setzer live for the first time. So I don't think you can get out of playing Rock This Town, Stray Cat Strut, Rumble in Brighton, and in Europe especially, Runaway Boys. And Stray Cats hit most of Europe in 2009 (sorry Manchester, Scotland, Ireland), so despite the presence of Slim Jim Phantom, I don't know how many more crowd-pleasin' Cats tunes you can put in. 2 or 3 maybe? Hey, at least there's no Gene-n-Eddie!

With the piano added, there are some tunes you just gotta do. Cat Clothes is one of those songs. It may be in my top 5 Setzer tunes ever. And the piano is invaluable to that song. This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof is brilliant with boogie woogie piano. And Red Hot is another one that just has new life with Killer piano.

Ignition and 8-track are 2 of the more indispensible songs from the Ignition album. 8-track is a fun listen on CD, but seeing it live is fantastic. Obviously, he performed it in Europe in 2001. But he only performed it once in 2005 (in Finland - thank you RMC!) So I think it is a welcome return to the setlist.

Brian has a very rich catalog. It would seem he could add another 4-5 songs easily. (NOT Gene-n-Eddie Very Happy ) I'd say throw another tune from Instru-mental, maybe Hot Love. Kevin could grab a guitar. Certainly, anything from the LNG or Knife days would benefit with the piano. Rebelene, perhaps? It is the Rockabilly Riot Squad, so I would guess a lot of stuff from Knife and 13 would be out - though Drive Like Lightning is really Radiation Ranch with new lyrics, and Broken Down Piece of Junk does feature piano.

Maybe more songs he's never recorded like Folsom Prison Blues would be cool. More Carl Perkins, maybe some Buddy Holly or Gene Vincent?

If you were to add 4 more songs to this setlist, what would you add and why?

Custom built-a-billy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 am

Hey,
straight to your question, Rickabilly:

I would choose "Go Godzilla" as it's from the new album and it's the best track from it in my opinion. Besides, this one live must be a killer!!

Another one for me would be "59". It's one of my favourite songs by Brian, together with I Won't Stand In Your Way and/or Bring It Back Again.

Then, "My Heart Is A Liar" would be there too. Maybe because it was played once or twice... so, I'd love to listen to it live.

And finally, "Rebelene". I've always enjoyed this one very much, and it would be a wonderful encore opening song. Besides, with "Rickabilly's Boogie Woogie" Piano, it would be perfect. 2 double basses on it, 2 drums kicking ass... so, why not??

Of course, I would add many many more from that period too, but possible these 4.

Nonetheless, I am happy to have Drive Like Lightning or 49 Mercury Blues as I've never heard them live. Sure from live recordings but not at the concerts I've been to.

Together with Rickabilly and Randy, I am happy Gene & Eddie is not there ;-)

11 days to go to Amsterdam!!! YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAA
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 am

I have read that the gig in Bordeaux has been shorter than expected because Brian felt bad with the temperature (really hot this days). It seems he did not expect the weather could be so hot so... "Only" 15 tracks in place of 18 and one "encore" (not 2)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 am

Aye, I heard that too... I feel sorry for the French fans who attended that show and, unfortunatelly, they could only enjoy less songs than the expected.

BTW, I've updated the entry on my blog, with more clips!! Nearly the whole show is on YouTube. And I've also added the Imelda May clips from that show too.

I don't wanna rock, DJ!!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:17 am

"Go Go Godzilla" would be fun. If Julie were brought to the stage for the B-52s vocal on that one, then you might as well utilize her further by breaking out that great Johnny-n-June duet "Don't Say You Love Me." I realize that song is an amazing tapestry of layered guitars, but if you had Kevin on the Rickenbacker, and maybe one of the other bass players or drummers or a guitar tech on another one, that tune could be pulled off nicely. Heck, even if you don't have the extra guitars, that's never stopped Brian from handling all his business on one Gretsch.

I love "My Heart is a Liar." But I think it may be a bit out of his vocal range now. He can take some liberties on "I Won't Stand In Your Way" when he performs it live, because it's just classic doo-wop ballad. But "Liar" is a more complicated melody. Brian can take a falsetto stab at some of the high notes on "I Won't Stand In Your Way," but "My Heart is a Liar" requires strength and sustain on the higher notes. It would be tough, even in a different key. I would love to hear it live, but maybe from 1993 Brian, not 2011 Brian.

"59," while it doesn't really fit the "Riot" mentality of the tour, it's a great song, even if they did take Eddie Cochran in 1960, not 1959.

If I could only add 4 to that setlist, it might be:

"Rebelene" - it would sound great with this lineup. It's got a nice hook, and it's easy to remember. I think people in the audience who had never heard the song would say, "What about that Rebelene song? Is it new? I love it! Where can I get it?"

"Hot Love" - I think the new album needs one more song represented in the setlist. And I doubt Brian will bring the missus to the stage for "Go Go Godzilla." You would need someone else on guitar for the Pipeline and Broken Down Piece of Junk riffs while Brian solos. But you could really go nuts with 2 drummers on this one.

"B-I-Bickey-Bi-Bo-Bo-Go" - Or any Gene Vincent number not named "Be Bop a Lula" or "Double Talkin' Baby." I think keeping the Stray Cats material down to the bare essentials is fine. Save that for another Stray Cats tour. But other up-tempo Gene Vincent songs are killer. "Hold Me, Hug Me, Rock Me" was fine in April, but it was clearly not rehearsed. A fully-rehearsed version of any of the lesser-known up-tempo tunes would be fun.

"Gina" - OK, it's another Stray Cats song. But you could segue into Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue Got Married, or skip the medley altogether and have an epic duel with the two drummers.

OK, I can't stop at 4. How about "Mini Bar Blues" into "Beautiful Blues?" I know he did Mini Bar on the Rickenbacker in Japan, but could he do it on the Gretsch? I'm guessing he could.

This thread's about the Paris show, so I'm sorry about the derail. I just wondered what else is on everyone's wish list to hear Brian perform live.

It's ALIVE!-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Madman

Madman

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:33 am

1. Beautiful Blues: totally agree with Rickabilly
2. Three Guys: because I do love "Knife"
3. Race with the Devil: my Gene Vincent favourite.
4. Town without pity: for no particular reason.

Looking forward to Copenhagen
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 am

Rebelene
Sleepwalk
Tear it up
Real wild child

Killer songs!

Looking forward to Amsterdam x 2 And Stockholm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Sidelake,

get ready for the after-show beers!
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Sidelake,

get ready for the after-show beers!

Yeah! cheers
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm

The Brian Setzer Setlist Archive just received more info re: the Paris show from our good buddy FrenchyCat. He said that Brian was at the top of game, and that Slim Jim got a huge ovation when he appeared on-stage. The 90-minute, nearly sold-out show had little time between songs, apparently. FC described the performance as "dense" - as in not-a-moment-wasted.

Here is how the show breaks down (direct from FC):

Setzer+Hatton+Levy
-Ignition
-'49 Mercury Blues
-This Cat On The Hot Tin Roof
-Drive Like Lightning
-8 Track

The same + MacKendree (guitar and piano)
-Slow Down/Folsom Prison Blues
-Put Your Cat Clothes On
-Blue Moon Of Kentucky

Setzer+Hatton+Levy
-Pickpocket

Setzer+Phantom+D'Rozario
-Rumble In Brighton
-Runaway Boys
-Sexy+17
-Stray Cat Strut

The same+Mac Kendree
-Red Hot

Setzer+Phantom+D'Rozario
-Blast Off
-Fishnet Stockings (after the beginning, Hatton joined the band, then Brian left the stage, came back with an upright bass and played)

The 6 members of the Rockabilly Squad on stage
-first encore: Rock This Town
-second encore: 7 Nights To Rock

Merci mon ami FrenchyCat!!

Thank you also to Rickabilly for the nod to The Archive. It's nice to know that it comes in handy sometimes. As to your question about what four songs I would add to the set, here goes:

1. Rebelene. It would be nice to have Brian dip back into the songbook for an obscure, but very popular song. It would sound great with Kevin on piano. I saw Brian play it 3 times in '88 - it's time to break it out again.

2. C'mon Everybody. My favorite of Brian's many Eddie Cochran covers - this classic always gets the crowd totally fired up, roaring along, shouting "C'mon Everybody" at the top of their lungs. Should be played far more often.

3. Race With The Devil. How is it possible to have a "Rockabilly Riot" without Gene Vincent being represented? Seriously. This omission simply is a crime. The Cats' take on this baby rips - so would the Riot Squad's.

4. Go-Go Godzilla or Hot Love. Another up-tempo track from Instru-mental seems appropriate. But only if Godzilla is performed without those needless vocals - otherwise I'd much rather have Hot Love played.

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Cat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm

- Hot Love
- Lonesome Road
- Lonely Wolf
- I Sure Miss You

The 2 instru-MENTALS because I am with Rickabilly here : the last album is so good, it needs some more promo.
Lonely Wolf is from Rockabilly Riot and I think it could be a great song to play live.
And I Sure Miis You because it's my favorite from Gene Vincent. Every girl here would like to hear Mr Brian sings to her "Well, I sure miss you..." I love you
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 am

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the videos from Europe yet but it's on my to do list for today. I'm very interested in the setlist, however: out of the box with 5 originals. Then a set of covers. Then 5 more originals. Cover, 3 originals, cover to close. I love it!

As mentioned, no Gene or Eddie represented in the covers. Whaaa? So for my four, I guess I'm easily suggestible. Add a Gene tune and an Eddie tune - make 'em somewhat obscure. How 'bout getting out there by yourself and playing "Cut Across Shorty" and "Important Words" (with additional band members joining in during the latter)? Rebelene has always been one of my favorites so I'm definitely in agreement on that. As well as another from Instru-MENTAL - Hot Love, Godzilla, Hillbilly Jazz Meltdown or Intermission. Logistically this may not be possible, I don't know. But it sure would be fun...

I hope this show makes it somewhere else in the US besides Frederick, MD.

sunny
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:47 am

My vote for four more songs is
Race With The Devil
Real Wild Child
My One Desire
Peroxide Blonde

And maybe Cherokee as another instrumental
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!   HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOT OFF THE PRESS - PARIS COVERAGE!!
Page 1 of 1