Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Manchester UK Souvenir

Go down 
+7
crazy mixed up kid
Rickabilly
scatcatcnut
webelvis
matt
Dave
Carbon Cat UK
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

Manchester UK  Souvenir Empty
PostSubject: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

Hi All
Im new to this forum but have used my old name from The Brian Setzer.com site as I have seen many old names on here and boy am I pleased to see them cheers cheers
I still cant get over what happened with the UK tour.
To save writing it all out again I will put in a copy of the email I sent to Tommy first and then a copy of the email I sent to Slim and Faith on their website:

Hi Tommy
I want to first of all wish Slim Jim a speedy recovery.
I can't beleive this as happened!!!
My name on the forum is Carbon Cat and you have replied to me many times (and I thank you for that)
The thing is this may have been my last chance I might get to see the Cats as I have waited for 30 years to get to see them and could'nt believe my luck this year as I have suffered with ill health and problems with my mental health for some years now.
When I got the tickets 6 months ago I wished my life away until today. We had booked a hotel for the night just, down the road from the venue in Manchester,I even went and got a sat nav to make sure we got there.
We were walking up the street in Manchester and I bumped into an old Rocker and he told me that he had been to the Academy and they had told him what had happened with Slim Jim the night before and he managed to get into the concert hall and have his photo taken by the stage and they gave him a BS pick.
I went up to the academy with my son and we tried to talk to some of the road crew and the one ignored us and slammed the door in our face. One kind gentleman gave us a guitar pick and I was over the moon.
But the bit that annoyed me the most was no-one would even sell me a tour shirt even though I offered him the going price, there was loads on top of the boxes in the trailer, and all he could say was (they were for the crew at the venue).
The roadies in the Stray Cat shirts off the coaches were just ignorant and rude and this made me wonder why I have been a dedicated fan for all these 30 years of the Stray Cats and Brian Setzer and then you get some guys half your age that cant even speak to you like a human, at the end of the day I know they were very stressed, but
they really changed my outlook on things.
I took my family all the way to Manchester (120 miles away) as many other FANS did, booked holidays off work and paid for a hotel for the night. That's not what I'm complaining about,I know ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!! but I can't stand people that cant even answer you when you speak to them.
Stray Cats have been my life for the last 30 years as far as music goes and Brian Setzer is GOD!, they have helped me through some rough times,
I have collected nearly all the stuff they have ever done and still keep looking for items.
I was dissapointed to have to miss the concert,but that could not be helped.
The thing I am pissed about is the way that I was treated by the road crew after being so polite.
I really HOPE that the cats will come back to the UK and I live long enough to see them.
Sorry to sound like an old fart!!!
Regards
Carbon Cat UK

Copy of email to Slim Jim and Faith:

Hi Jim and Family
I hope you have a speedy recovery from your injuries and are not in too much pain,and that you will be up and rockin again soon. We were so sad to hear the news while we were outside The Academy in Manchester. My son and myself had just managed to get a couple of pics stood by your kit and some guy gave us a guitar pick (I was over the moon) and then the news was broke that the gig was cancelled!!! I know this may sound sellfish but it would have been my first time to see you live after being a fan since the begining. But it was lucky for us in another way as a guy came out of the back door and gave my son your drum sticks,I nearly fainted!!! and if that was'nt enough we also had given to us one of your old drum skins (well battered Smile and then I went crazy to think that you had touched and played with those sticks and skin. I am 50 now and have not been in the best of health over the last few years,BUT those drum sticks and skin will be with me until I die. You are one of the best drummers in the world in our eyes and the Stray Cats are the BEST!!!! rockabilly band in the world. I just want to know if you will come back to the UK when you have got your arm and health back with the Stray Cats so we get that last chance to see you live. Yourself,Brian and Lee (Stray Cats)have kept me going through some rough times with your music and all I can say is THANKS FOR THAT!! but please,please return to the UK.
Get well soon Jim (your the best mate)
StevieH and Dan U.K.
Heres some pics of the drum sticks and snare drum skin:

All I want to know is will the STRAY CATS ever return to the UK??? or even Brian Setzer???
Many Thanks
For reading my story
Carbon Cat UK

[url=Manchester UK  Souvenir Pict0012][url=https://servimg.com/view/13077190/3
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:21 am

That is a cool story about the drum head and sticks, you can`t buy those sticks from Vic Firth(with Jim`s autograph on) so they are something to treasure !! The one with the tape round it is the one he holds in his right hand, so that`s the one that has done most of the battering of the snare drum head you have !!!

Hope you manage to catch them if they do come back to the UK,

All the best

Dave
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 pm

were there any answers to these two emails ?
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks Dave
I really hope and prey that they come back to the UK.
I had really got myself on a high and when I actually saw the stage I was so excited I was having these palpatations in my heart that I suffer from. I just got so excited,but when they said it was off I just couldnt beleive it. Sad Sad Sad I felt almost numb and dazed to think that I had come so close,but the chance had gone.
I am going to frame the sticks and the skin,they are well battered so they may have been used at the Brixton gig when Jim broke his arm,but I will never know that? Question Question Question Neutral
All the best Dave
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi Matt
No I have had no reply at all. The only reply I have had was on the one that I sent to Tommy asking him if the forum was going to start again. I have posted a copy of that on the thread about Brian Setzer.com.
I even sent a message to the Slim Jim Phantom geust book and that appeared a day or so later.
Apparently from the reply I got from Tommy about the forum, he said he no longer has anything to do with the Stray Cats or Brian Setzer websites.
I hope everything is ok with Tommy
Take Care Matt
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Wow, those are Awesome Souvenirs man!!!!
Thanks for sharing the pics with us!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks webelvis
I am really pleased that I can show them to you all. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Its real funny,because when this young chap gave them to my son,this real big guy was stood at the side of me (and i'm quite a big guy)and he said "hey mate give me one of those sticks",but there was no way I was going to let him take those sticks away. I just told him no way and my son wrapped them in an old poster one of the drivers gave us. We did quite well really as we also got some pics by the stage (before they started ripping it apart.Then when they said the gig was over a chap cme and gave us his VIP Stray Cats Pass and some Setzer picks and then another guy gave us a pirate t-shirt he had been given by some guy in Germany who was selling them outside the concert which had the tour dates on it. The trouble is I know this sounds selfish,BUT I would have given all that back to see The Stray Cats "LIVE". Sad Sad Sad Sad
The thing is we have just got to be happy that it was'nt a complete wasted journey and just keep HOPING they will come back to the UK one day.
I will post some pics of the other stuff.
Take Care
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 am

Hi Carbon -I only found out was cancelled when I arrived at the venue -couldn't believe how disapointed I felt/still feel. Like you I've bought everything etc and been a fan since day one. Can't help feeling a bit bitter that the setzer webtite gives no real acknowledgment or even slightest hint re poss. reschedule though.

Presumably would have been very different if Tommy was still totally involved like before.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 7:07 am

I doubt there would be any sort of announcement of any rescheduling until Jim's made a full recovery months from now. They were cancelled, not postponed. While Tommy always kept us informed on the latest information, no concert info or speculation about concert info would appear until it was absolutely confirmed. There were rumors from reliable sources about this past summer's tour - at least the Spain dates - back as early as January. It was several months after that before any official news hit the website, in part, because there were more dates to book, and because those dates in Spain weren't 100% confirmed.

Still, I live in hope for those of you affected by the cancellations that you will get your shows somewhere down the line.

Fingers crossed across the pond-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 7:12 am

Hi scatcatcnut
Thanks for the reply.
I also feel like that and still cant get over the shock of not seeing them,it feels like youve been let down in some way!!
To make matters worse I even lost the booking fees on 3 tickets and had to pay £7 to send them back with a special recorded delivery as I was told to do by email.
Altogether it cost me over a £100 quid with the postage and I only got about £83 back.
I just wish like yourself they would aknowledge in some way.
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks Rickabilly Cool Cool
I hope they will come across the pond again.
I would personally row the boat for them (here and back) as long as Brian has an acoustic with him lol! lol! lol!
All the best mate-abilly
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
crazy mixed up kid

crazy mixed up kid

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Keep the faith CCUK........I live for the fact that Stray Cats will again one day perform in the UK. I know we dont give them crowds as big as Japan & Finland but I like to think in my tiny mind that the UK hold some special memories for the Cats and they just cant leave us alone. (we are their favourites.......)

All the best for the future.

CMUK

Have I read the earlier posts correctly????????
TOMMY M does not have anything to do with the BS website?????

Can anyone confirm this??
Come on Rickerbilly give me some of your 'words of wisdom'
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Jepp, See the BS tread.
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 2:27 pm

I was down in Glasgow the day before the gig (Friday),and i got a phone call in the hotel i was in,saying the gig was off etc!.

I have been lucky ie,i have seen the cats on stage,but my heart go"s out to those who were going to see them for the 1st time!.

And i wish JIM all the best in his recovery!.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi All
We can live in hope that the Stray Cats return to the UK
I live and long for that day to come. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
It would also be great if The Brian Setzer Orchestra or The BS Trio could one day tour europe and The UK. Slim Jim was supposed to play at a venue real close to where I live in 2005@Rock Cafe Stourbridge,just after my dad died,but that got cancelled for some reason and we all had to get refunds.
At the end of the day like they said 3 boys from the USA came to london in the late 70's and that was were it all started.
I suppose if Jim had injured his arm in France and they had not played Brixton ( I am glad for the people that attended that concert) but then they would almost have had some sort of obligation to re-tour the UK if that makes sense.
Still we can just keep hoping that one day............ cat cat cat..WILL RETURN to UK !!
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 am

I think most of us are upset,and also concerned for Jim.
Jim was gonna play in Manchester,but as we know,a wrist that is broken in 3 places, must be *loody sore!

Hey, i just hung around the venue,with Brucie for an hour or two. Then i just decided to drive the 6 hours back up tp Aberdeen.

But at least i was lucky enough to see a great show! 100 times better than the filmed show!

I am not a great writer, as i cant spell, the big words,i want to use. So i leave that,to the king of the keyboard............................Rickabilly.

Also one nice thing,got to have a coffee and chat with Tommy at Eusten. Just a pity we had to run for the train.
Tommy my offer, still applies!

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 5:57 am

Hi Wee Mark
Somebody else said that he intended playing the gig in Manchester with his broken arm.
But that could have caused so much pain and complications afterwards,it makes you shudder the thought of it. It would have been a crazy thing to do as it may have also caused Jim to be out of action for alot longer as he would have caused more damage to his arm.
It must have been great meeting Tommy in person!!
Where you outside the Manchester Academy when they were setting up or later on the evening. I may have seen you there.
Take Care
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
brucie68

brucie68

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:25 pm

Hey Carbon Cat...sorry to hear of your dissapointments regarding the road crew but i have to say that in 28 years of following The Cats across Europe i have never had a problem with anyone connected to the band or any roadies.
I cannot understand why you would be treated in a negative way-i hope you get to see them in the U.K if they re-schedule the cancelled shows.
Sorry I missed you at the Academy-we could have had a good chat.
I was chatting to a few fans for around an hour and it would have been good to meet up with fellow hdvdl members.
Hey wee mark...I will send the photos of us and Tommy M enjoying a coffee once i get them sorted out.
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Eh, i too have photos to put on a cd for ya, also to do that cd's for you too
I reckon,we just missed CC.
But it is nice to meet people and they know who you are.
I enjoyed the buzz,and to go to the show,one a guy who shares your likes etc. is cool.

Just sorry for our Tommy, (thanks for the e-mail) my jaw hit the keyboard. No-one, can ever, do that web site as our Tommy. He loved to give us fans,that little bit extra.

Thank you Tommy!

I now feel numb................... Jims accident............Tour canceled............Tommy sacked.

What next?

Mark..........................Tommy rules ok.
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi Brucie68 and Weemark
I cant believe that I never saw the cats and also missed meeting you guys,I kept asking people if they were on the forum.
BUT we will meet oneday when the Cats return to UK (I hope).
I even had a t shirt printed with Stray Cats head on the top and carbon cat across the middle. cat cat cat
We can live in hope bounce bounce bounce Question Question Question
Take care both
CC/UK
PS
It's good to hear from you guys again,I really missed the old forum,but this forum has given me alot of pleasure,meeting all the folks that have come across or were already here. IT'S GREAT!!!
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 2:34 pm

As Stray cats fan's,we all have loyal heart,and to follow the music,of 3 men who love their music.
Too see the Brixton venue full again,is a real nice feeling indeed!

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manchester UK Souvenir   Manchester UK  Souvenir Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manchester UK Souvenir
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: All things Setzer-
Jump to: