Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Empty
PostSubject: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I have had this amp I wanted built for the longest time now. While it is being prototyped, I was asked to be quiet about the details. Which I am. Smile

The builder primarily just built clones with some mods when people wanted them. After talking with him about my amp, he is striking it out as a builder and will try to make his mark as an American amp builder.

The coolest part for me is... I named it and it has my initials in the model number! This is probably about as close to a signature amp as I will ever get. I am enjoying the ride. Smile

I can say it will be built by KBP Amplifiers and is just called the Starlite for short. The model name of first combo being built is the BMC Starlite 112. (BMC are my initials.)

I am just beside myself with excitement!
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Congrats man! You wanna share the specs?
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 3:57 am

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
Congrats man! You wanna share the specs?
While there are some details being worked out still, it will be a 20w Class A amp.

The amp it was initially based on (and has almost no resemblance to now) was a BEAST of a jazz amp in its day but is legendary in early rock and I believe even Billy Gibbons used it. The break up in its sweet spot is just... wow. That specific model lasted maybe a year or two before giving way to the next model in the series.

The biggest changes to the original design is that now there is a bypassable gain stage, a reverb tank and, instead of a single tone control, BMT tone control. It will also have an extension speaker out. My intent is to power a 2x12" cabinet along with the single 12 in the combo.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 5:26 am

Sweet! Hopefully we'll see pics after you've had a chance to break it in.
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 am

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
Sweet! Hopefully we'll see pics after you've had a chance to break it in.
Definitely. Video too.

I don't know when I will have it though. It is still being prototyped. Still some details to be sorted and parts to be sourced.
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 am

Oh, and the amp that was initially going to be cloned was the Gibson BR-1. So... if you are familiar with that amp (and everyone on this board in particular knows this amps sound) you will have an idea of what the amps tone will be like. There are some fundamental changes for my tastes, but man oh man.
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 3:55 am

Some specs that have been worked out... almost. haha. Anything can change.

It is still in the design and prototyping phase and parts are being sourced.

It will have Weber speakers. The preamp tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, is to be 12ax7. The OD tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, is to be an EF86 (the gain bypassable). The phase inverter and reverb tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, are to both be a 12at7.

What IS up in the air tube wise is the power section. It will either be a pair of 6L6's Class A or a pair of 6V6's Class A/B.

The transformers MAY be sourced from Endcor.

Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:17 am

The Squirrel wrote:
Some specs that have been worked out... almost. haha. Anything can change.

It is still in the design and prototyping phase and parts are being sourced.

It will have Weber speakers. The preamp tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, is to be 12ax7. The OD tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, is to be an EF86 (the gain bypassable). The phase inverter and reverb tube, as it stands and barring epiphany, are to both be a 12at7.

What IS up in the air tube wise is the power section. It will either be a pair of 6L6's Class A or a pair of 6V6's Class A/B.
The transformers MAY be sourced from Endcor.

...and now this has been decided on: 6L6 tubes it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...   Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possibly one of the coolest things to happen to me musically...
Page 1 of 1