Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012

Go down 
+2
tvthewiredturtle
Scatman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scatman

Scatman

BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Empty
PostSubject: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

I hope it's true.............

Check it out, scroll down to Sept 14th:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/calendar-fullseason.cfm

I have lots of questions (3 NIGHTS??), but for now just letting this news sink in.......

OobyDooby!

Scatman
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

lordy a family of 4 subscriptions are freakin $1200!!!

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4890
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 pm

The Brian Setzer Orchestra playing WITH the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra?! That's a lotta orchestra...

I'm having a hard time understanding their website, am I reading correctly that if you want to go to one BSO show you have to pay to see at least 4 shows as a subscriber to a series?

Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: Oh, I guess you can also wait til May to buy a single ticket. Okay. Neutral
Back to top Go down
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:48 pm

3 nights at the Hollywood Bowl

3 NIGHTS

Only 3 repsonses. Is everyone at Disneyland on vacation?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 am

Maybe they're settled in for a long winter's nap, like these Setzer fans:

BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Tiredn10

They're either sleeping, or tweeting - it's hard for me to tell the difference. Since that's from a few Christmas tours ago, they're probably not tweeting.

I realize it's just another concert in Hollywood Bowl's bloated subscription series, but it would be fantastic if at least one of the nights was filmed. It's a unique event in Setzer's career, and should be worthy of documentation. Imagine "September Skies," "Luck Be a Lady," and "Lonely Avenue," all performed as they were on the recording. Maybe someone can coax The Brian into breaking out "Love is Repaid By Love Alone." "Beyond the Sea" is a must! Maybe a classic or two from Wolfgang's Big Night Out could be re-worked with strings. I'd love to hear Sabre Dance with all the proper percussion. Speaking of proper percussion: Bernie Dresel, please!

And it's not just strings - a symphonic brass and woodwinds section could really add to the sound. I wonder if Frank Comstock's still around. Not that his arrangements were always my favorites, but he can write a helluva score in a hurry. It would be great if there were a few tunes new to the BSO catalog put together for this show - and have them recorded for posterity, or at least the next "from the vaults" release.

Hopefully, there will be more discussion here on these shows as September Skies approach.

Principal Sez You've Been Cuttin' Classical-billy

Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

peeteycat wrote:
3 nights at the Hollywood Bowl

3 NIGHTS

Only 3 repsonses. Is everyone at Disneyland on vacation?

Not at Disneyland but far from Hollywood. Wink
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 pm

This is what I'm expecting:

HBowl orchestra will open the show, and then the BSO will prob play for at least an hour, joined at the end by the HBOrch for a fireworks-friendly medley of some classical standards.

As for the BSO set? My money is on the same setlist we've been hearing for the last couple of years, outside of the Christmas shows.

Nice to see ya 'round these parts, Rickipedia!

Ooby Dooby
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 am

I'm afraid you're probably correct on the lack of decent collaboration between the BSO and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra (HBO?). I really hope the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra doesn't squander this opportunity by "phoning it in." Unfortunately, this is probably just another gig for them.

The orchestra seems to be present in a lot of the shows on the series, and while a single performer might fit in well with a pops-orchestra show, a larger ensemble like the BSO might require too much effort to work up arrangements for both groups. Still, there is an orchestral score in existence for "Beyond the Sea," a tune the BSO has performed at private gigs before. "September Skies" seems like a no-brainer for these September shows. Maybe he could pull some of the strings on stage during the BSO set for that one and "Lonely Avenue." That would be a pretty good mini-set: Sept Skies, Beyond the Sea, Lonely Ave (surely they haven't lost the score for this one yet) and maybe Luck Be a Lady for another upbeat tune.

A violinist can dream...

Pulling Strings-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012   BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL:    SEPT 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BSO @ HOLLYWOOD BOWL: SEPT 2012
Page 1 of 1