Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I have gas, thanks a lot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vic

vic

I have gas, thanks a lot Empty
PostSubject: I have gas, thanks a lot   I have gas, thanks a lot Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 11:16 am

For years I had been somewhat content with my guitar sound, then I stumbled on this place a few years back. It's an addiction I tell ya, and I blame you guys in the cave. I mean honestly, Rockabilly and Setzer is only a portion of my mucial interests, but I find myself scouring these pages looking for answers to tone questions I never even thought about a year ago. I'm starting to get the feeling it's an unobtainable quest by the way.

But it has gotten me to thinking about tone more in general. Do you think that real talents like Setzer put this kind of effort into it, or do they just stumble into it? Seems to me his tone has evolved a lot over the years. I wonder if it's a function of changing tastes, different equipment available now that he's successful, different influences (Edmunds early on for example) or a concious effort to obtain a tone he's always been after and hasn't reached yet. I've heard he has some hearing issues as well. It amazes me that he hears those subtleties so clearly especially live on stage at those ridiculous volumes.

Well I've dipped my toes in the waters with mixed results. I know the real answer is to go after your own tone, but this Setzer tone thing is a drug, and Tavo, Daddio and Nikko are the dealers...I bet they really work for Gretsch, or fender, or Roland, or TV Jones and are computer generated Maxheadroom like inventions, created entirely to get me to buy more stuff. Twisted Evil

I hate smilies by the way, can't believe I used one.
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: I have gas, thanks a lot   I have gas, thanks a lot Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: I have gas, thanks a lot   I have gas, thanks a lot Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 1:50 pm

I think one commonality among all the great virtuoso guitar players is the unending quest for tone. If you notice, Setzer has a trademark sound that he's made his own, but he often goes for different sounds altogether. Listen to 60 Years from Nitro, or most of the tracks on 13 to hear a different rock sound. He's got a great blues tone. Most of the Rockabilly Riot tracks were recorded with different types of amps that inject subtle differences in tonality throughout the album. Gas though, is definately addictive.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have gas, thanks a lot   I have gas, thanks a lot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have gas, thanks a lot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: