Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Knife Feels Like Justice

Go down 
+4
wee mark
RadiationSteve
Patrick
Le Hub'
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

The Knife Feels Like Justice Empty
PostSubject: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 3:34 am

3 weeks ago, I bought an original tape from the first Brian solo's album on e-bay for my car music player and I have to admit that I appreciate the record more and more. I said "admit" because I always felt "ill-at-ease" with the production, in particular the sound (really too clear and "clean"), of this record.
2 years and half after Rant N' Rave, The Knife Feels Like Justice was a real surprising record : a little far from Rockabilly but still in a Rock N' Roll spirit. Then, time passes... Rock Therapy, Live Nude Guitars, Blast Off... Brian seemed to come back to his "roots"
Today, this record is exceptional, I mean unique like may be no other Brian's record (except probably Wolfgang Big Night's Out) : the themes, the orchestration...
Of course, I've always liked wild rocks like Haunted River, Radiation Ranch (hi Steve), Three Guys or Barbwire Fence but today I (re)discover tracks like Bobby's Back, Chains Around Your Heart, Breath Of Life (one of his greatest love songs).
I think it's the sign of big musician to be "rediscovered"...
I'd like to have your opinions about this record my dear fellows...
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 7:13 am

Chains around your heart is my favorite Setzer song #1
I was glad to see any records coming out after the Cats broke up in the mid 80's.
So I played this album about a 1000 times!
I just can't believe some Brian Setzer fans don't like this period of him.
Like I said before, they will learn in time!
cheers
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi, i don't think there's anything wrong with it being too clear or clean. Yep i love raw stuff as much as anyone, but i've always loved this record.
There's a lot to like here!
First, the title track is one of the best 'pop' records i've ever heard. Check out the more bassy 'Knife Feels Like Justice' song on 'The Brian Setzer Collection 81' to '88.
It's the same version but sounds ten times better! As does 'Bobby's Back' on that cd too. I'm sure you'll have that collection and know what i'm talking about.
'Haunted River' has got energy and great lyrics. I would say that just because it sounds a bit 80s and doesn't have a double bass, doesn't mean it don't sound Rockabilly.
You haven't mention one tremendous love song which is perhaps just as good as 'Breath of Life'......'Maria'.
I listen to these records and don't think 'oh this is out of date etc', i think 'this is good, and this is Setzer!'
There are quite a few story songs, but that just means lots of lyrics, and the uptempo tunes are catchy, and filled with fantastic guitar licks.
I even like 'Aztec', another story song.
These tunes may not be 'Timeless' like some Setzer records, but i rate all Brian's solo efforts very highly.
I didn't know at the time (1986), that Stray Cats had broken up, so i was overjoyed to find a Setzer record in the shops!
There isn't a song on 'KFLJ' that i don't like.
After listening to 'Vavoom!' 3 million times i realise that i prefer 'Drive Like Lightnin'' to 'Radiation Ranch'....but i won't be changing my name! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Do not change anything Steve !! Smile
And thanks a lot for this review
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Well i would vote for a KFLJ 2.

Awesome record,just timeless.

Then we got "Live Nude Guitars" OH ME.............Red lightning blues.
Brian allways goes back to the rockabilly!

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Geez, I'm totally missing out. I have never heard TKFLJ. I've heard some of the songs mentioned like Bobby's Back and a few others. Can't say the really did it for me, but hey I gotta buy this CD, I must have all Brian's recordings.

Thanks for the review, I'll get off my butt and get a copy from some shop somewhere.

René
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I never could get into the Knife Feels Like Justice CD, I played it in the car just last week and found myself skipping tracks.

It's a typical late eighties recording and sounds dated now (IMO),
whereas the Rockabilly and Swing music is Timeless!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Just wanted to bring back this topic with the Scatcatnut's one about a live from Knife's era.
This record still makes us talk a lot and that proves how important it still is more than 20 years after.

PS : René, have you bought the album ? Wink
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Choochoohothub wrote:
PS : René, have you bought the album ? Wink

Not Yet Choochoo. Hard to find here in Adelaide and our dollar sucks, so getting it form The States is out of the question at the moment.

I'll get around to it at some stage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Ematt

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:40 am

I almost feel guilty saying it, but this album is a real dud for me despite many listens over the years. I even struggle with some of Brian`s vocals, here and there he kind of warbles in an almost heavy metal type manner. May be it was the hair.
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:28 am

I posted this on another thread but in case anyone missed it is an excellent 'knife' era live show. Has brilliant version of Breath of Life, plus totally different feel rock this town -in E I think, plus great 2 guitar stray cat strut

http://rapidshare.com/files/87054790/Setzer_1986.zip.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Knife Feels Like Justice   The Knife Feels Like Justice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Knife Feels Like Justice
Page 1 of 1