Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carl Perkins Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sharky

Sharky

Carl Perkins Question Empty
PostSubject: Carl Perkins Question   Carl Perkins Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 pm

I forget - which Perkins song did the Beach Boys steal the opening lick to "Surfin' USA" from?

I know the rest of the tune is all Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little 16", but the opening is from one of Carl's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Carl Perkins Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carl Perkins Question   Carl Perkins Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 5:36 pm

I'll have to do some research - I own most everything Carl Perkins recorded, but I never heard of the opening lick of Surfin' USA referred to as a Carl Perkins lick. It actually sounds like another Chuck lick - the one that opens Brown Eyed Handsome Man. If you've heard of it referred to as a "Carl lick", maybe it was because Carl Wilson played it.

But I'll check it out and get back to you. I love the Beach Boys, have most everything they recorded, and would love to make a Carl Perkins - Beach Boys link.

Fun Fun Fun-a-billy
Back to top Go down

Carl Perkins Question
Page 1 of 1