Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)

Go down 
+7
Andi
gretschoholic
Rickabilly
Twenty Flight Rick
Le Hub'
badkitty
Kelley
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley

Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Empty
PostSubject: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 pm

great album

one of the Cat's finest

Last edited by Kelley on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Smile

Last edited by Kelley on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 pm

okay, this is a song to listen to-jerry's very first recorded song from 1952, check it out!

now that's a mean piano!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 am

Heya Kelley!
Choo Choo is my 2nd fav album right after Blast Off, if not my fav at this moment.

I'm definetely in love with these songs:
Lust N Love
Cross Of Love
Please Don't Touch
Cry Baby
and My Heart Is A Liar

As you pointed out, Can't Go Back To Memphis is a wonderful song too, together wih Jade Idol and Beautiful Blues. I never liked Sleepwalk by the Cats. I think that the orchestrated version is streets ahead, not only because of the horns and everything, but the guitar playing is wonderful.

What can I say about Rockabilly Riot??
It took me a while to enjoy this album, probably the first 7-8 songs are the best ones and some others spreaded on the album, but I wouldn't say this is the best work Brian has ever done, though it's a good record and Setzer has always had a special touch to cover songs.
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:37 am

[quote="JonPascual"]

I never liked Sleepwalk the Cats. I think that the orchestrated version is streets ahead, not only because of the horns and everything, but the guitar playing is wonderful.

Oh, I respectfully disagree, Jon. I think the cats version of "Sleepwalk" far outshines the orchestra's. It's much cleaner, which, imo enhances Brian's exceptional playing. The horns are almost too much on the orchestr's version; but to each his own! I do agree that CCHF is a grossly underated album, and is also one of my personal faves. I love you[b]
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:40 am

Last edited by kelleyM on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:06 am

No worries BadKitty!
In fact, most of people prefer the Cats' version to the BSO's...

Anyway,
Live Nude Guitars is wonderful and what can I say.... probably one of the bests Setzer albums ever!
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 am

Choo Choo Hot Fish is still my fav' Stray Cats record (with the first album of course) and one of the five better Brian's album in my opinion.

Glad you enjoy it Kelley. cheers
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:32 am

I can't speak to the album, but as to Sleepwalk - as a guitar player, as a music fan, as a Setzer fan, BSO's version far outshines the Cats version. The Cats version may be closer to Santo and Johnny's original, but the orchestra and Brian's playing take the Dirty Boogie version to a whole different planet. The live version from Woodstock '99 is the best I've ever heard from anybody, ever, period.
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:38 am

About Sleepwalk, I'd say I prefer Stray Cats version.
As Rick said, it's closer to Farina's original and the horns here are a little too "heavy" in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:02 am

I think that's probably why I like it ChooChoo - the horns. I'm more of a BSO fan anyway. Back in the Cat's commercial heyday, I was a casual fan. Dirty Boogie is what brought me onboard and introduced me to Setzer's heady brew of big band swing/jazz/jump blues/rockabilly fusion. Yeah baby!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:02 am

I'll still take the Choo Choo Hot Fish version of Sleepwalk over the BSO's studio version from The Dirty Boogie. The Stray Cats' version flows more smoothly, is drenched in reverb, and yet displays remarkably clean playing. The horn arrangement buries that a bit for me on the DB version. However, the BSO version is phenomenal live - and Rick is right on about that Woodstock show - an unbelievably great rendition of the tune.

I'm not a big fan of the long, drawn-out cadenza at the end of the tune on the live performances. Even though there's that cheesy, race-track arpeggio on the end of the Cats' version, I love how it just fades into the stratosphere. The pedal-steel effect on the end of the DB version is less satisfying for me. But both renditions are a tremendous showcase for Brian's virtuosity.

Sleep Walkin'-billy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:56 am

Hey folks,
and what about My Heart Is A Liar??
I'm surprised that it was a single but it has scarcely been played, as far as I can track in my files, only three times! In any case, I consider this song to be fabulous and Cross Of Love is also one of my favourites, at least in CCHF. The one released on Let's Go Faster is way too pop for me.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Choochoohothub wrote:
About Sleepwalk, I'd say I prefer Stray Cats version.
As Rick said, it's closer to Farina's original and the horns here are a little too "heavy" in my opinion.

As far as Sleepwalk goes, here's my favourite Brian Setzer version

No horns, just '59 Gretsch, Space Echo & Bassman. Pefection! Smile

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 pm

My favourite Sleepwalk as of last week is the one I saw happen directly in front of me. sunny

Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:48 pm

wow...

thanks Andi, awesome version
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:23 pm

I love Choo Choo Hot Fish. To me it's got the greatest of the Cat's sound. I do however prefer the Cross of Love version from Let's Go Faster than the version on CCHF. The LGF version is quicker, to me th CCHF version was too slow after hearing the other version.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Listening to Choo Choo Hot Fish right now after reading this thread.... what a great, great record. I love Lust N Love, I think the lyrics are some of the best of Setzer's career- the imagery is excellent. (I'm a big fan of "story" songs.)

And Beautiful Blues is one of my top faves of Setzer's entire recorded output (and that's a tough call to make!) I would love to hear that one as part of the "Brian Setzer Combo" idea I floated the other day!

This is my cat Choo Choo Hot Fish, who I found as a stray when he and I were both just kittens back in 1994. Named after my favourite record at the time (and hey, he was a Stray, so it's perfect, right?!) He's 15 and living with my mom in San Diego now.

Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) 3334683692_016fa7bf50_o
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:30 am

10" vinyl Choo choo hot fish album, Was it limited to 9999 ex ? I have number 0055 and 6274.
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 am

I have the 4488. But it's without Let's Go Faster, no ? That's probably why I bought the CD too.
Australian version of Sleepwalk just left me "breathless". Thanks Andi !
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 pm

I love stirring up basement dwelling, knuckle dragging, mouth breathers on the internet Smile

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4256221
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 pm

andi wrote:
I love stirring up basement dwelling, knuckle dragging, mouth breathers on the internet Smile

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4256221

Geez, glad I'm not on that forum. What a bunch of no brains. They obviously love heavy metal Razz The only person who seemed to make any sense was an ahaze. Any idea who that is? Wink

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:38 pm

pony65k wrote:
The only person who seemed to make any sense was an ahaze. Any idea who that is? Wink

Twisted Evil I look at it this way. Nearly 1500 people looked at the video, only a handful commented - the rest of them were stunned silent. Hee hee!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 pm

"But he's forgiven for being so damn badass it's sick!"

yes Brian is very badass, best comment yet Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:44 am

Hey,
I have the 84?? something... can't remember the number, I think it's 8453 but not sure right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)   Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shout out to record companies on Stray Cats Choo Choo hotfish :)
Page 1 of 1