Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?

Go down 
+10
frenchlmp
Brett
Aussie_Sam
laurent327
Kelley
FrenchyCat
JC
Diggey
Le Hub'
Setzerado
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Setzerado

Setzerado

2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Empty
PostSubject: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 am

I know we are only on march but...
The BSO came to Japan, the Cats made their farewell to Australia and we know now there will be a 7th Xmas tour.
But what about recording ? Do you think 2009 will be a second year without a studio session ?
Personally I don't. The year he turns 50, I'm sure Brian will record somethin', maybe a tribute to salute glorious oldies. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 am

Setzerado,
a few days ago, Pistol Pete mentioned that on the last show in Melbourne, he discovered some mics pointing to the audience... I think that show is going to be officialy released, don't know, but a Farewell Tour without a live recording??
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:17 am

It's a good new but, as Setzerado said, what about studio session ?
I think something will comes this year (it's Brian 50th, no ?)
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:52 am

I'd love to see a Rockabilly Riot Volume 2. I think the first one rips and really really like his tone on the whole disk. Hopefully something.

I'd also like to see a Stray Cats Beginning Live disk from the early days and and an ending live disk from one of these farewell shows....... and matching DVD sets from old and new. That'd be cool right?
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 4:49 am

+1 on Rockabilly Riot Volume 2,
I'd have to say that that and Red Hot and Live are probably my favourite Setzer recordings.

Hey Setzarado just veering off topic for a moment, is Burkina Faso in West Africa?
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 pm

I'd like an album with original songs; the last one was terrible ("13"). Brian said he'd sit down and write some new songs. It's the best thing to do, for me. A Stray Cats live CD? It would be great; but can it be really the last album of the rockinest cats in the galaxy? I don't want to believe it!

FC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I think there's going to be something... maybe Riot 2??
Otherwise, there is no reason to have a 2nd volume...

New BSO stuff? to be honest... it's become boring with all the Xmas stuff (despite the goodness of the live shows!)

Nashvillains?? SUPERB!!
Stray Cats?? EVEN BETTER!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 12:15 am

I have a feeling we'll get a big surprise this year in terms of albums

done!

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 12:33 am

I will be provocative, but I think it has already lost the flame for a long time, see the latest albums that are weaks.
Now it's just a day job (cf. the lives shows), there's nothing unusual to expect from Setzer.
The Setzer from early 80 is gone, viva the new rockab/psycho generation.

Setzer is still my hero but unfortunately it is the hard reality.
Back to top Go down
Aussie_Sam

Aussie_Sam

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:42 am

Me too Kelley and i made sure I told Brian that I LOVED 13....just love the whole CD.
I always find myself going back to it time and time again...
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 am

Laurent, are you having a "Nervous Breakdown" ?
"Lost the flame" ? Are you really talking about Brian SETZER ?
Have you heard "Red Hot & Live" ? "13" ? "Wolgang's Big Night Out" ? There is more energy, creativity in this ones than in Rant & Rave or Rock Therapy, no ?
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 am

Choochoohothub wrote:
Laurent, are you having a "Nervous Breakdown" ?
"Lost the flame" ? Are you really talking about Brian SETZER ?
Have you heard "Red Hot & Live" ? "13" ? "Wolgang's Big Night Out" ? There is more energy, creativity in this ones than in Rant & Rave or Rock Therapy, no ?

i agree,
for sure Brian is not anymore like the young boy of the eighties.
The same with all of us.
That`s normal, but he is still a amazing musician. And he still will be.

But we all know this kind of discussion. Makes no sense, means only trouble at the end.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 3:07 am

Laurent, here it's everything for Brian ok?

Well... who is it, this stranger on your avatar?

You fell on the head or what?

scratch
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 3:25 am

Of course it's a day job, he's a Pro! You think he should be workin' in a mine to support his family and to make good records as a hobby?
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:33 am

0kay okay stop teasing laurent Smile

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 am

kelleyM wrote:

*and brett, I hope my post isn't the troubling one ha ha*

never Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 11:17 am

shaker wrote:
Hey Setzarado just veering off topic for a moment, is Burkina Faso in West Africa?

Hi Shaker, yes the country where I was born is in West Africa.
(I agree about a Riot volume 2)
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm

I have no problems with Laurent expressing the opinion liking Brian's earlier work better than material like we find on "13". Laurent has used this forum to promote dozens of other artists in the rockabilly and psychobilly genres, so it would seem his musical tastes might not be all that compatible with albums like "13", "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" or the various Christmas albums.

What I would take issue with is the "nothing unusual" comment. I would submit that there is nothing "usual" or predictable regarding the last couple of Setzer albums. Most artists do uninspired cover albums to fulfill some kind of contractual agreement, or simply commit the various drunken live versions to record. With "Rockabilly Riot," Brian took an almost archeological point of view, researching classic and obscure Sun Records, taking great care to get a sound as authentic as possible, (something Stray Cats never worried about, even when they did a "covers" album) giving us 23 cuts of superb rockabilly. More than just an "oldies" album, I think it ranks right up there with his finest work.

Of course, the usual, expected follow-up to Rockabilly Riot is to do an album filled with hooks and riffs that sound like they're culled from some of the great rock records of the 1970s, right? "13" is an album I could listen to for days on end. It's not the strongest album, lyrically, but I love all the musical settings he comes up with on the album. There's very little "billy" here, save for the song that lampoons the folks in the rockabilly scene who take themselves way too seriously, "Really Rockabilly." But "Drugs and Alcohol" has a bit of twang to it, as does the deliciously-layered Johnny-n-June ballad "Don't Say You Love Me." It's a wonderfully eclectic, rockin' album, but I know plenty of people who expected "Riot, Volume 2" or "Son of Ignition" who weren't too keen on it.

And then we have "Wolfgang's Big Night Out." I think the anticipation of a non-Christmas BSO release had most people looking for revved-up Rat Pack-a-billy circa 1998. The absence of Brian's cool vocal stylings, and the constraints of the Swinging Classical Music format might have prevented an album as diverse as previous BSO releases. Although you really couldn't find two tunes as far apart stylistically as "Take a Break, Guys" and "For Lisa," which for me are two of the best tunes on the album. I think "For Lisa" ought to grace any future Greatest Hits compilation or box set - it is among the my most favorite Setzer tracks ever.

So if you're craving the rawness of "Stray 1" or "Gonna Ball," you're just going to have to be satisfied with dropping the needle on those records. As good as those albums are, I'm blown away by how much more accomplished a musician Brian is all these years later. His technique, his sound, his experience in so many more things stylistically... it's an evolution. In order for "the flame" to stay lit, he has to tread off the beaten 'billy path once in a while.

What I enjoy the most about being a fan of Setzer's music is the fact that I really have no idea what he's going to come up with next.

Mix It Up and Go-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Agreed and as always, well said Rick. I haven't seen better analysis of 13 than you've put forth in the years since that record's release. I'm still thinking that the Cats will reissue their back catalog in a remastered format, maybe in the form of a box set. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing BSO this year!

The other Rick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Rickabilly, with those comments I would say you've studied at the Ivy League ;-)

Honestly, thanks for your comments and words and I bet we all must agree in some points: the unpredictableness of Mr Setzer but as I always said, he needs a couple of years off to get back to his peak moment and delight the fans with something rather unique.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I would submit that there is nothing "usual" or predictable regarding the last couple of Setzer albums.

I'm with you Rickabilly. It's because of Brian's different tastes that I've got to experience and fall in love with music I probably wouldn't have heard otherwise. It's because of Brian's different tastes that every new CD he brings out brings with it the expectation that you don't know what to expect and I find that very exciting, every release is a discovery. Compare that to the last Nickelback CD released. I have their other Cd's but haven't bought the latest because I've got bored with the same stuff always being released. I will never get bored with Brian's music, whether I like the particular sound or not because I never know where Brian will take me and what I'll discover along the way.

That to me is incredibly rare. I couldn't name too many artists that do that for me.

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?   2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2009 : TOURS BUT NO RECORD ?
Page 1 of 1