Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Desert Island Discs

Go down 
+3
enjay07
Rickabilly
Andi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

Desert Island Discs Empty
PostSubject: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 am

Here's the game: You're stuck on a desert island for the rest of your life, but luckily you have a solar powered CD player and 10 CD releases.

The rules: Your CDs have to be as purchased, no self-burned mixes or collections of MP3s. Box sets are okay (it's 10 CD RELEASES, not just 10 CDs).

So what do you choose to listen to for the rest of your life?
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I just spent an inordinate amount of time coming up with my own list, and I'm fairly certain I'll have to change it. But as it stands now:

Brian Setzer Orchestra Ultimate Collection (Japan) 2 CD set

Stray Cats Ultimate Selection (Japan)

Stray Cats: Choo Choo Hot Fish (Japan)

Loud, Fast & Out of Control 4 CD Box Set

Jumpin' Like Mad: Cool Cats & Hip Chicks 2 CD Set

The Police: Message in a Box 4 CD Box Set

Chris Isaak: Live in Australia

Elvis Presley: The King of Rock N Roll The Complete 50's Masters 5 CD Box Set

Frank Sinatra: The Capitol Years 3 CD Box Set

Nat King Cole Trio: Rockin' Boppin' & Blues (Cole was so prolific that I either have to bring ALL the transcriptions and box sets in order to get all my favourite songs, or I can bring this single disc that has a high concentration of faves.)

It's amazing to realize how much of your favourite music gets left out when you narrow it down to just 10 CD releases. I know the Cats are overrepresented so CCHF would be the first thing to go, but not until I can think of something REALLY worth replacing it with. Gotta be a massive various artists box set of some sort, but I don't know what.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 8:31 pm

I own thousands of CDs and well over 400 multi-disc (box) sets, so I hesitate to name 10, just in case a divorce attorney should ever find this list...

Before I read Andi's list, we already had these in common:

Loud, Fast, and Out of Control - You have Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette, and so many other greats represented on this set - you cannot go wrong. If I could choose only one CD or CD set, this would be it.

Elvis Presley: The King of Rock N Roll The Complete 50's Masters 5 CD Box Set

Brian Setzer Orchestra Ultimate Collection - Of course the Japan edition. It's the BSO and the 68 CBS - 2 of my favorite Setzer incarnations

And this item closely relates to one on her list:

Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers (I don't have the Capitol 3-disc set, but this is my favorite Capitol Sinatra album)

Hey, if Andi and I could get stuck on the same island, then I could have 4 additional choices! Twisted Evil

Then, the lists start to look quite a bit different:

Beatles - A Hard Day's Night - UK CD edition

James Brown: Love, Power, Peace: Live at The Olympia, Paris 1971 - forget the Apollo, this is my favorite James Brown band - the edition with Bootsy Collins. The whole show smokes! It's like one big high energy super-funked medley.

Atlantic Rhythm and Blues: 1947-1974 - 8 CDs - You got Ray Charles, The Coasters, The Drifters, Ben E King, Ruth Brown, Lavern Baker, Carla Thomas, Clyde McPhatter, Big Joe Turner, King Curtis, Booker T and the MGs, Otis Redding, Sam-n-Dave, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Aretha Franklin, and many more. Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler were American treasures (even though Ahmet was from Turkey.) They changed the face of American Music. Imagine if Ahmet had managed to outbid RCA for Elvis Presley's contract from Sun!

Barenaked Ladies - Gordon, er, Maroon, er, can I wait and see what's on the box set due out later this year? Paul McCartney recently cited them as one of his favorite bands in recent memory. Of course, that was before the lead singer quit the band and went solo late last month.

Stevie Wonder - Original Musiquarium

The Chess Story - 1947-1975 - 15 Discs covering blues, rhythm-n-blues, doo-wop, and rock-n-roll (Of course one disc is a useless CD-Rom that could serve as a coaster)

Thanks for the box set "cheat" - it really helped!

Gilligan-billy
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Ok, I suck at this, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't have all 10, but two of them would be "The Knife Feels Like Justice" and "Red, Hot, & Live." Number 3 is going to remain nameless, for now, as I'm not in the mood for a flogging. Let's just say it's a non-BSO Christmas album. The 4th would be Bruce Hornsby's "Scenes from the Southside." Sorry, I like some of that whiny piano music. Not everyone, just Brucie!

For albums 5-10 I'd have to say I would definitely stop by Rickabilly's place before I hopped on any FedEx planes heading out in stormy weather.

I think it would be easier to pick who I'd like to be stranded on the island with, instead of which CD's I'd listen to for the rest of my life.

Wilson-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Atlantic Rhythm and Blues: 1947-1974 - 8 CDs
The Chess Story - 1947-1975 - 15 Discs

Damn, I knew there'd be obvious DUH! collections I'd forget. Damn, what to get rid of?

Rickabilly, you really wouldn't take ANY Stray Cats? Jeez man.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 pm

I can only have 10 discs? I'll settle for the Stray Cat covers on Ultimate Collection. I came here for Stray Cats, but I stayed for the rest of Brian's career. I love Stray Cats, but THE rockabilly trio for me is Bernie, Mark, and Brian.

Damn, I should work Red, Hot, and Live in there somehow.

That's it! We need EMI, Brian, Interscope, Hollywood, and Surfdog to play nice and get us a Setzer box set! Now!!!

Wish-a-billy
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

What no Dave Edmunds Rick?!
Well this is so hard....

Here's my first 4.....In no order (it's probably quicker to show the album covers.)

Desert Island Discs 51069
Desert Island Discs Front
Desert Island Discs Onlyvisitingthis
Desert Island Discs A0069778
[img]
Desert Island Discs Az_2778_Twangin..._Dave%20Edmunds
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Desert Island Discs B000002uhj01lzzzzzzzen1Desert Island Discs 07863660502_340_340_200405120752151800

4 more later.....got to watch LOST now!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Imelda May - Love Tattoo
Slaptones - Amplify
Brian Setzer - Live Nude Guitars
Stray Cats - Blast Off
Stray Cats - Choo Choo Hot Fish
Black Crowes - By Your Side (well, I rather want someone by mine...)
Lee Rocker - Lee Rocker's Big Blue
Gene Loves Jezebel - Live in The Voodoo City
Paul McCartney - Run Devil Run (who's the devil here, eh?)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (that suits me fine!!)
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Desert Island Discs Capa_vavoom
Desert Island Discs Larry+norman+in+another+land+25th+front
Desert Island Discs Cd_walkamileinmyshoes
Desert Island Discs Elvis_box60a

It was really tough but at the end of the day i would have to take Stray Cats, Brian Setzer, Larry Norman, Dave Edmunds, Elvis Presley
and Love Sculpture. As these are my best of the best artists.
There's a lot of Elvis there. And if the others had bigger box sets or complete works ones then i would have picked them!
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Sorry for the large pictures, i didn't realise till i looked back!

Quote :
That's it! We need EMI, Brian, Interscope, Hollywood, and Surfdog to play nice and get us a Setzer box set! Now!!!

Can i second that?!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 pm

All right. The Box Set rule allowed me to expand from 10 CDs to 40CDs. Because that wasn't enough, I rummaged through my collection to come up with the following revisions:

Frank Sinatra: Concepts - No, I don't have the 3CD Capitol set Andi did. But I just realized my previous choice, "Songs for Swingin' Lovers," was part of the "Concepts" Box Set - All 16 "concept" albums Frank recorded for Capitol, including bonus tracks, on 16 CDs. 40 - 1 + 16 = 55 Discs!

But wait. There's more.

Stevie Wonder: At the Close of the Century - Musiquarium is a great collection of Stevie's 70s and early 80s stuff, but I would miss a lot of the 60s Motown hits and non-hits. So this 4 Disc set nudges the Musiquarium out of the way. 55 - 2 + 4 = 57 CDs.

I'm a fan of the band Barenaked Ladies, but I wouldn't be able to choose one definitive album, and there are always a few snoozers on each album, so I'll have to jettison them from the island, and replace them with - you guessed it - another box set.

Desert Island Discs SC%20Box

I don't own this one, but since I have the individual albums, I guess technically, I do. Andi's right. I should have some Stray Cats with me. This'll do nicely. So, let's do the math: 57 - 1 + 3 = 59 CDs.

59? That sounds like a song...

I would love to be as cool as John Cusack in the movie "High Fidelity," with an über-cool selection of musical critically-acclaimed musical finery. But as much as I want to list Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue," Wagner's Ring Cycle, or attempt to be too hip for the room by donning my Ramones T-shirt and listing Syd Barrett, the MC5, Jeff Buckley, Tom Waits, The Clash, or some obscure psychobilly band, I gotta be dorky 'ol me. I appreciate those other artists, but they're not crackin' my top 10, listen-for-all-eternity list. By the way, if you feel attached to any of those bands or artists I just mentioned, stand proud and loud. I realize it's a bit daunting to submit a list full of non-conformity on a music-related message board. But it's a great way for me to feed my addiction by discovering new music based on your recommendations. I reckon this board has probably cost me thousands of dollars over the years, as my lack of willpower has made it necessary to actually become stranded on a deserted island just to have time to listen to it all!!!

12-Step-Program-billy
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 am

Stray Cats: Gonna Ball
BSO-Ultimative Live Collection
BS: Ignition
BS: Nitro...
ACDC: Live
ACDC: TNT
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Lady Land
Jazz Classics (compilation of Jazz classic incl Ella Fitzgerald, Quincy Jones, Wes Montgomery)
Lee Rocker: The Curse of Rockabilly
Stevie Ray Vaughn: The sky is crying

(and i would try to smuggle a CD with Whale singing for better sleeping)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 am

Like Rick i don't own this box set....but i'll change it for the 'Retrospective' as there are more Cat songs! That's if there's time before the Titanic goes down....

Desert Island Discs SC%20Box

I can't go for 'eternity' without listening to 'Stray 1'!

One of the good points about being marooned on an island is that you don't have to listen to anymore Boy George etc! But i will miss the cheeky girls!
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 8:34 am

I think I am announcing TODAY:

Rolling Stones: The London Years Singles Collection 3 CD
Tom Waits: Blue Valentine or one of Bob Dylan I don't know!
Elvis Presley: The King of Rock N Roll The Complete 50's Masters 5 CD
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust

AND in disorder:

Brian Setzer and Nashvillains: Red Hot and Live
Brian Setzer: Rockabilly Riot
Stray Cats: Rumble in Brixton
BSO: The Ultimate Collection
Brian Setzer: Ignition 68 Come Back Special
BSO: The Best of Collection Christmas Rock

And a good sunscreen!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:04 am

Brian SETZER - NITRO BURNIN' FUNNY DADDY
Brian SETZER - IGNITION !
The Brian SETZER Orchestra - GUITAR SLINGER (Japanese)
Stray Cats - STRAY CATS

Louis JORDAN - LOOK OUT (1938 - 1954)
Django REINHARDT - SOUVENIRS (1938 - 1941)
John Lee HOOKER - BOOM BOOM
The Very Best Of SUN Rockabillies - (3 vol)
René THOMAS - GUITAR GROOVE
Alain BASHUNG - OSEZ JOSEPHINE
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:25 am

ChooChooHotHub wrote:
Brian SETZER - NITRO BURNIN' FUNNY DADDY
Brian SETZER - IGNITION !
The Brian SETZER Orchestra - GUITAR SLINGER (Japanese)
Stray Cats - STRAY CATS

Louis JORDAN - LOOK OUT (1938 - 1954)
Django REINHARDT - SOUVENIRS (1938 - 1941)
John Lee HOOKER - BOOM BOOM
The Very Best Of SUN Rockabillies - (3 vol)
René THOMAS - GUITAR GROOVE
Alain BASHUNG - OSEZ JOSEPHINE

WHERE IS ELVIS? WHERE IS ELVIIIIIISSSS!!!! silent
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Probably on n°11 or 12 or 13 with Gene & Eddie...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desert Island Discs   Desert Island Discs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Desert Island Discs
Page 1 of 1