Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Brian's Gretsch Baritone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello all! Anyone know what kind of strings Brian slaps on his Gretsch C baritone? I hear a lot of bending going on songs like Mystery Train (live from Japan DVD). TIA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slim Jon Phantom

avatar

Posts : 2157
Join date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I know he uses D'Addario strings, but no idea about the width
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.straycatscollectors.com
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm

I was thinking the same thing but it looks and sounds (live from Japan DVD) like an unwound third. D's and all I've come across have a wound third. I'd love to know if he's even using a baritone set or just a heavy gauge standard set tuned down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gretschoholic

avatar

Posts : 455
Join date : 2008-04-19
Age : 48
Location : Elverum, Norway

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Given that he uses 010's for regular tuning, this is probably a pretty good guess:



EXL158 Baritone Guitar Light 13-62

I've used heavier gauge strings on my baritone guitar, and IMO bending a wound third isn't as hard as you'd think. Now, THAT is something somebody should've asked at those meet n' greets.... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:47 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
Now, THAT is something somebody should've asked at those meet n' greets.... Wink

How about it? Laughing

That tone on Mystery Train (LIJ) has me gassing for a b-tar. I have the DVD and I swear it looks like an unwound 3rd. He might use those D's and makes a set with an unwound? I'm guessing he's tuned to C? Funny thing it don't look like that guitar has a Magnatron in the neck like the production models. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rickabilly

avatar

Posts : 948
Join date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Brian drags out the baritone now and again when he performs I Won't Stand In Your Way.



Kansas City, 31 July 2007
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gretschoholic

avatar

Posts : 455
Join date : 2008-04-19
Age : 48
Location : Elverum, Norway

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I just checked the DVD, and to me it looks like a wound third. If you pause Mystery Train at the 0:19 mark and look at the string on the headstock, it's pretty easy to see. Not as easy on YOUTUBE as on the DVD, of course... Smile

IF he uses the EXL158 set, the third string is a wound .026. The same gauge unwound is a whole lot harder to bend, since the core of the wound .026 is a lot thinner than a plain .026.

I don't think there are Magna'Trons on that guitar either, but as far as I remember reading somewhere, that's a TV Jones prototype, made BEFORE Gretsch started building them (and before TV Jones ultimately started building'em themselves), and it's likely that they've changed the specs.

BTW; Rick, I think that's a different SpectraSonic. It has a Gretsch headstock, while the one he used on the LIJ-DVD has a brown faceplate and no Gretsch-logo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rickabilly

avatar

Posts : 948
Join date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Here's some more derailing, with Brian's double-necked guitar. Not a baritone guitar, but a great, low-end sound. (And it kinda goes with the Mark Dubya Winchester topic down in the cave):



Come Back '68 Comeback-a-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 am

Great stuff guys. Thanks for all your help!

Love that use of a double neck Dano. I never thought of using one like that. Pretty cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 pm

mr. nut job here..

Setzer is using Rich Modica's Baritone in that video and at that time it was
strung with D'addario .013-.060 strings.

Setzer first took delivery of his own Tvjones built C-melody baritone that is
lime green with herringbone binding. Tom told me he found the wood for
setzer's baritone body in the trash behind a furniture store.

Both these early guitars are not built of the same woods that Gretsch licensed
from tom jones and manufacturered first through Hamer guitars and then
the Gretsch Terada factory.
The Gretsch versions use an alder body with a spruce top, mahogany neck
with paduak fretboard.

i'll find that darn pict of the lime green and post it in a few
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Quote :
Setzer is using Rich Modica's Baritone in that video and at that time it was
strung with D'addario .013-.060 strings.


Hey Wired,

What video, Live in Japan? TIA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

SnorkelMonkey wrote:
Quote :
Setzer is using Rich Modica's Baritone in that video and at that time it was
strung with D'addario .013-.060 strings.


Hey Wired,

What video, Live in Japan? TIA
yessir.. oh crap I forgot to load the picture
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
booty



Posts : 62
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 56
Location : england

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm

when I saw the stray cats in Manchester in 2004 he played ' I wont stand in your way' on a C-tuned White Falcon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vavoom.altpro.net
Rickabilly

avatar

Posts : 948
Join date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Brian drags out the baritone now and again when he performs I Won't Stand In Your Way.



Kansas City, 31 July 2007

Ahhh, that must be this guitar. I knew it was tuned differently so it would better fit his vocal range after his "balls dropped" (Brian's words, not mine). But it's definitely not a baritone guitar, like he used for Mystery Train on the 2001 Japanese tour. My mistake.

Never Mind.

Jump, Jive, and Derail-a-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brett

avatar

Posts : 993
Join date : 2008-09-05
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Rickabilly wrote:




Kansas City, 31 July 2007

). But it's definitely not a baritone guitar, like he used for Mystery Train on the 2001 Japanese tour. My mistake.

Never Mind.

Jump, Jive, and Derail-a-billy

are you sure? i guess this is a baritone guitar, same model like the one of the japan tour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 pm

It might be the lighting but that one looks like it has a black headstock. The one on LIJ had a brown one, but it might be the same one? I'm pretty sure that is a baritone in that shot. The scale length looks longer than standard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rickabilly

avatar

Posts : 948
Join date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

No, Brett, actually I'm not sure. scratch I'll take your word for it. I don't play guitar, but as soon as the Falcon was mentioned, I could have sworn that was the guitar I saw. But the body type looks different from a Falcon, now that I look at it again. I'll revert to my first answer: Baritone. I'm betting that if he used it in 2001 and 2007, he probably used it in 2004 as well.

I should let the guitarists talk about the gear, and I'll stick to nurturing my early Alzheimer's.

Guitarded-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:
Brian drags out the baritone now and again when he performs I Won't Stand In Your Way.



Kansas City, 31 July 2007

Ahhh, that must be this guitar. I knew it was tuned differently so it would better fit his vocal range after his "balls dropped" (Brian's words, not mine). But it's definitely not a baritone guitar, like he used for Mystery Train on the 2001 Japanese tour. My mistake.

Never Mind.

Jump, Jive, and Derail-a-billy

Brian is holding the C-melody. From the neck length and seperation of pkups from
eachother its evident(as opposed to the standard scale Lead model).
Yes my friends this is a Baritone guitar but not in the traditional sense..

This guitar is a "C-Melody-Baritone". In laymans terms it lets the guitarist/singer
play in a standard scale "format" which is EADGBA so if Brian has a song where he
is playing in say an "open E" chord position. he is actually playing then in the key
of C.

As you say, when your ballz drop.. you cannot sing with the range you once had and this
guitar not only lets setzer do that it also creates a huge low mids sonic palette not afforded on a standard scale neck. On this particular guitar through a Fender blonde
bassman..the pair is made for eachother and in the video it is sonically evident because it sounds like a freakin piano freighttrain. Smile

Scale on the Spectrasonic G6144 C-melody Baritone is 29 1/2, standard Spectrasonic
lead model is 24.6
In the Live in Japan Video, that particular one(natural headstock) was built by Tvjones for Rich Modica and Brian took it on tour.
Brian subsequently has a few of his own.. In the picture you see here, this is
a gretsch model..whether or not this one was built early on by Tom Jones of Tvjones, or by Hamer (gretsch had hamer guitars making the first models before they ended up with final production at the Gretsch Japan-terada factory) I'm not certain.
Brian Also has a tvjones custom model made for him in Lime..

tidbit from a tvjones interview:
Q: When was the first Spectra Sonic designed?

TVJ: Back in about 1994 my friend Paul Ackling, who works for producer T Bone Burnett, brought me an old K guitar to repair. It had a similar look, a very large body with a flat top and I was intrigued by the way it felt and looked. I wanted to design a guitar that was similar to that, one that was lighter with large chambers. Something with a classic quality to it, not a retro look, but just a classic look. I started drawing a big boxy body and I wanted it to have good access in the upper register. I thought it would be cool to have a large stylish pick guard with a finishing touch, sort of a tuxedo look. I think the pick guard shape kind of resembles the shape of the state of Texas. Paul Ackling owns the first original Spectra-Sonic. He was working for John Fogerty in the 1990s and Johnny Cash was at one of the shows. He noticed Paulís Spectra-Sonic and he loved it. He thought it had a great look. Paul had Johnny sign the pick guard. So Johnny Cashís signature is on the very first Spectra-Sonic!

Q: I recall seeing a few photos of Brian Setzer with a Spectra Sonic.

TVJ: Brian played the first Spectra-Sonic Baritone that I made for his technician Rich Modica. Rich brought it over to Brianís house one day and Brian flipped. He asked to borrow it for a tour. I believe that was back in 2000. He used it the whole tour. Fred Gretsch was in the audience one night in Atlanta, Georgia. He saw Brian play it. Right after that I talked to Fred about Gretsch Guitars producing the Spectra-Sonic.

Q: What about the green Spectra-Sonic you made for Brian Setzer?

TVJ: Oh yeah! He has a TV Jones lime-green metallic Spectra Sonic that I made back in 1999.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator



Posts : 507
Join date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 pm

That Lime green spectra sonic with the single f-hole is killer! I'd love to have a spectra sonic in silver sparkle ala silver jet.

I think that Live In Japan clip of Mystery Train solidified my lust for a Spectra Sonic. The tone of the C-Melody and blonde were just about as fantastic as tone can get. I couldn't really get a C-melody, because I wanted a standard guitar. The (Gretsch branded) Spectra Sonic lead is great though, but since I don't have a blonde yet (or Brian's talent) I can't produce that twanginess...but that also probably due to the longer/snappier neck and scale and the pickups. I can get into more Brit-pop and 80's Tom Petty land, or crank it for some psuedo ZZ Top with the spectra sonic and my TopHat Club Royale.

need some more low mids thwap -n- growl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tvthewiredturtle

avatar

Posts : 3635
Join date : 2008-04-20
Age : 103
Location : so cal.

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
That Lime green spectra sonic with the single f-hole is killer! I'd love to have a spectra sonic in silver sparkle ala silver jet.

I think that Live In Japan clip of Mystery Train solidified my lust for a Spectra Sonic. The tone of the C-Melody and blonde were just about as fantastic as tone can get. I couldn't really get a C-melody, because I wanted a standard guitar. The (Gretsch branded) Spectra Sonic lead is great though, but since I don't have a blonde yet (or Brian's talent) I can't produce that twanginess...but that also probably due to the longer/snappier neck and scale and the pickups. I can get into more Brit-pop and 80's Tom Petty land, or crank it for some psuedo ZZ Top with the spectra sonic and my TopHat Club Royale.

need some more low mids thwap -n- growl

it actually in your guitar, you just dont have the right amp to bring out the
full spectrum. the club royale tophat amp is a very very lean sounding amp
mostly because of its small openback 212 design.
I guarantee when the spectrasonic goes into a normal channel of the blonde bassman and out of a closeback 212 bassman (not any old closeback) cab with V30s( these are heavily doped high output rock speakers) your guitar will cause your pants to wave
at you. Plus twang the hell out of your ears like you aint heard yet. Smile yeeehaaa
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator



Posts : 507
Join date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
That Lime green spectra sonic with the single f-hole is killer! I'd love to have a spectra sonic in silver sparkle ala silver jet.

I think that Live In Japan clip of Mystery Train solidified my lust for a Spectra Sonic. The tone of the C-Melody and blonde were just about as fantastic as tone can get. I couldn't really get a C-melody, because I wanted a standard guitar. The (Gretsch branded) Spectra Sonic lead is great though, but since I don't have a blonde yet (or Brian's talent) I can't produce that twanginess...but that also probably due to the longer/snappier neck and scale and the pickups. I can get into more Brit-pop and 80's Tom Petty land, or crank it for some psuedo ZZ Top with the spectra sonic and my TopHat Club Royale.

need some more low mids thwap -n- growl

it actually in your guitar, you just dont have the right amp to bring out the
full spectrum. the club royale tophat amp is a very very lean sounding amp
mostly because of its small openback 212 design.
I guarantee when the spectrasonic goes into a normal channel of the blonde bassman and out of a closeback 212 bassman (not any old closeback) cab with V30s( these are heavily doped high output rock speakers) your guitar will cause your pants to wave
at you. Plus twang the hell out of your ears like you aint heard yet. Smile yeeehaaa

TWAAAANG! I don't know how I used to think this was a bad thing back when I first started playing?

I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably be a one amp guy, and the blonde 6G6-B bassman is it. It seems that maybe a hotplate would help out in gigging situations (ok maybe a vintage deluxe or princeton would be in order?). The 2x12 bassman cab is a definite. I always wonderd about speakers. It seems like some guys are going nutty for a blonde bassman and cele golds. V30's are just the ultimate rock speaker, though...do the treble damper mod to the bass channel and you pretty much have a rock rig that will take you from NYC to Nashville through Chicago down to TX and on to the sunset strip...and maybe take you through the Pac Northwest?

I will hold off doing anything to the spectra sonic until then
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mjcodina

avatar

Posts : 273
Join date : 2008-09-22
Age : 31
Location : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Ive never seen the Lime Green Spectrasonic before. Can anyone post it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Brett

avatar

Posts : 993
Join date : 2008-09-05
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Rickabilly wrote:

I should let the guitarists talk about the gear, and I'll stick to nurturing my early Alzheimer's.

Guitarded-billy
Very Happy no offense,
instead of guitartalk you impress us always with your excellent reviews.

cheers

btw: the update version of the Spectra Sonic of TV Jones is a very fine and interesting guitar
http://www.tvjones.com/guitars/spectra_sonic.html

A very lightweight guitar, easy to play and the sound somewhere between a 6120 and a Duojet.
I had the opportunity to play it at the Hamburg Vintage show last year. (or the year before?)
But it is not a baritone anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
I'm Incinerator



Posts : 507
Join date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 am

Brett wrote:


A very lightweight guitar, easy to play and the sound somewhere between a 6120 and a Duojet.
I had the opportunity to play it at the Hamburg Vintage show last year. (or the year before?)
But it is not a baritone anymore.

While, I've never played a filtertron equipped duojet. I can see where that might hold true about the spectra sonic that I have. It also has a good amount of tele characteristics, and if you roll back the tone, it slays my les paul studio for tone and playability. Not to mention there is a mysterious rickenbacker-ness about it.

I've heard that a TV brand Spectra Sonic baritone is in the works.

I'd love to try out that Model 10 he has as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SnorkelMonkey

avatar

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Brett wrote:
the sound somewhere between a 6120 and a Duojet.

What you're saying is basically it sounds like an ES-335 with Filtertrons in it? clown lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Brian's Gretsch Baritone   

Back to top Go down
 
Brian's Gretsch Baritone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Youtube video of a recent gig
» Brian Blade Blue Note
» Brian Blade singing
» Vinnie Touring Again with Jeff Beck
» Pipes for Sale

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: All things Setzer-
Jump to: