Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995

Go down 
+2
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Brent
6 posters
AuthorMessage

SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Empty
PostSubject: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:13 pm

My jaw hit the floor when I saw this today!! I knew SJP has toured with JLL in 1995, but never got any information apart from that... now, look what a nice song!!! BTW, he never played on that album, "Young Blood".
Back to top Go down
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:55 pm

FANTASTIC!
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for posting , never saw this before. Thoroughly enjoyed this clip. As usual, Jim looks super cool, Jerry Lee sounded great and one of the two guitar players was Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:06 am

I could track the date of this show: May 24, 1995.

As I said, Jim toured with JLL, that's what I was told, I even remember founding a wesbsite whose webmaster told me he saw JLL with Slim Jim at a place called The Docks in Toronto... Last night, I found a torrent file with over 400 JLL shows!! I just got the ones in 1995... but there is no trace of Slim Jim... I think it was just for the Jay Leno show and that show in Toronto. In fact, in those shows of 1995 there is no trace of songs from "Young Blood" not even of Slim Jim playing nor being introduced... siiiiighhh... what a pity!!

BTW, I also head that Jim played with Tom Jones, any ideas about this??

Well, now I am a bit "afraid" of what "playing" means... does it mean a tour, a song, an album??? Sometimes when the Bios say: he played with bla bla bla... and all of a sudden you discover that it was just one song in whatever the album... well, I would call that a guest appearance or something, don't you??
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Well, now I am a bit "afraid" of what "playing" means... does it mean a tour, a song, an album??? Sometimes when the Bios say: he played with bla bla bla... and all of a sudden you discover that it was just one song in whatever the album... well, I would call that a guest appearance or something, don't you??

I know what you mean... people have various reasons for "stretching" the truth a bit. Many years ago I was in a relatively high profile touring/recording rock'n'roll/-abilly band here in Norway, and when I was leaving the band they auditioned for my replacement. They tried out several guitarists, and one of the guys (who didn't get the gig) later put in his CV that he "played with us/them". Which was true in a way, but not in the way he wanted people to believe, I guess... Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 3:50 pm

It's a very common practice among musicians to list as many big names as possible on their resumes, even if it's only for a one-off show. It's even more prevalent now with the internet. When you're trying to get hired, you do what you can to get that gig or even invited for an audition. I'm sure the BSO musicians have plenty of padding on their "performed with" section of their website/facebook/resume. Nobody's lying - it's just the way it is.

A lot of headlining artists will hire local musicians rather than travel with a large band or orchestra. I'm sure most of those hired guns list at least the more noteworthy artists on their resume. Elvis hired locals for a time in the 70s, and one John Hatton is fortunate enough to be able to list an Elvis Presley performance among his credits. And it can be a big deal, especially if you're the only person on that instrument in the band, i.e. drums, bass. It means you were among the first, if not THE first person the local promoter/booking agent thought to call for the show.

Tony Pia and I could list Diane Schuur on our resumes. I played in an orchestra when she came to my town, and evidently, Tony did as well. How cool is it that he can list Maynard Ferguson, the Mills Brothers, and Woody Herman on his resume? Now I don't know that he toured with those bands like he did with Edgar Winter and the Doobie Brothers, but they still go on the list. It may not be OK for the fanboys and archivists, but it's a perfectly legit practice in the music biz.

Will Work for Food-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification, relied on Tony Pia's website for the spelling of Diane Schuur's last name)
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 am

Rickabilly wrote:
It's a very common practice among musicians to list as many big names as possible on their resumes, even if it's only for a one-off show. It's even more prevalent now with the internet. When you're trying to get hired, you do what you can to get that gig or even invited for an audition. I'm sure the BSO musicians have plenty of padding on their "performed with" section of their website/facebook/resume. Nobody's lying - it's just the way it is.

It may not be OK for the fanboys and archivists, but it's a perfectly legit practice in the music biz.

True, Rick. However, if the musician in question lists all the auditions that didn't work out for him (instead of - or in addition to - the gigs he actually landed), and the future possible employer starts making calls to the ones listed - THEN he might get a bit of trouble. Or at least not get the gig.

But this happens in all professions. A big wig at a hospital ("Hospital Manager"? Don't know the term in English...) over here had faked several diplomas from various respectable medicine schools in order to get the job. When somebody - probably a reporter, 'cos nobody in the board had bothered - finally checked, it turned out they hadn't even heard about the person...

Anyway (before I derail the topic even more Laughing ), for a resume, "performed with" shouldn't include a drunken jam session or an audtion that didn't work out for you IMO. A gig, an "official" guest appearance on stage or a recording, definitely yes.

Last edited by gretschoholic on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out a word...)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 4:02 am

Rickabilly wrote:

A lot of headlining artists will hire local musicians rather than travel with a large band or orchestra. I'm sure most of those hired guns list at least the more noteworthy artists on their resume. Elvis did that for a time in the 70s, and one John Hatton is fortunate enough to be able to list that among his credits.

Tony Pia and I could list Diane Shuur on our resumes. I played in an orchestra when she came to my town, and evidently, Tony did as well. How cool is it that he can list Maynard Ferguson, the Mills Brothers, and Woody Herman on his resume? Now I don't know that he toured with those bands like he did with Edgar Winter and the Doobie Brothers, but they still go on the list. It may not be OK for the fanboys and archivists, but it's a perfectly legit practice in the music biz.

Will Work for Food-a-billy

i worked with Johnny Paris of Johnny and the Hurricanes? Is this good?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 am

I know what you mean boys and I completely agree with your opinions, it was just, you know, many names on the list sometimes and it was just a song or whatsoever.

I remember reading some Lee Rocker bio, and it was said that he played with John Fogerty!! I was like, what??? He never toured with JF nor even a one off show... until I discovered that on Carl Perkins album Go Cat Go, Lee played in a song called All Mama's Children and JF was the singer... does it really mean PLAY WITH...???
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
I Lee played in a song called All Mama's Children and JF was the singer... does it really mean PLAY WITH...???

I would say yes, they made a record.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Tony Pia and I could list Diane Shuur on our resumes.
Me three. Though not as a musician.

SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 4415570308_80342735d7_o

Dianne Schuur sings and swings at Anthology

/thread derail
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 pm

I knew I misspelled her name as soon as I typed it. That's what I get for relying on Tony Pia's webmaster.

Not that she could see my error... Cool

I loved her album with the Basie Band. Her voice is smooth and clean - almost like a Dinah Washington.

Schuur thing-a-billy

PS - to steer the topic back somewhat, happy belated birthday to The Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis - 75 years old yesterday!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995   SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SLIM JIM PHANTOM & JERRY LEE LEWIS, Jay Leno 1995
Page 1 of 1