Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Setzer's gonna take Europe kids

Go down 
+31
Madman
pony65k
christopher
chunkymac
sabrejet
Wrock
rockabilly guy
Swansea City
Dave
FranckVillano
septime
ippocat
Rocky Mountain Cat
jbgoode
Guitarmaniac
Scatman
laurent327
lonesomecat
gretschoholic
Rockincat59
Setzerado
Aussie_Sam
wee mark
Patrick
Budgie
sidelake bob
Brett
richjohnson26
donpepe
nietsk
tvthewiredturtle
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Wrock

Wrock

Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Tixket ordered for Cologne so far, we´re going there with the complete band plus some more. Still hessitating about Hamburg, but I think maybe by next week... Suspect
... in 2008 Hamburg was THE BEST!

Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 am

Wrock wrote:
Tixket ordered for Cologne so far, we´re going there with the complete band plus some more. Still hessitating about Hamburg, but I think maybe by next week... Suspect
... in 2008 Hamburg was THE BEST!

The hamburg Location is awesome. Outdoor stage inside of a City Park.
But good weather is important.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Stockholm cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Superb!!
I knew there was a gap for either Oslo or Stockholm.

BTW Sidelake, are you still coming to Amsterdam??
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Superb!!
I knew there was a gap for either Oslo or Stockholm.

BTW Sidelake, are you still coming to Amsterdam??

Yes. Two Setzer gig will not kill anyone.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 am

Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Ticket

Put your cat clothes on...
Back to top Go down
ChimingBell

ChimingBell

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Brett wrote:
Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Ticket

Put your cat clothes on...

48,50??? completley insane... he's getting more expensive every year... sorry but i don't support that anymore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Aye... in Amsterdam they were 46 plus the expedition/printing taxes... if you ordered them online and you get electronic tickets sent to your email, it was more Euro per tickt (so I paid 49), but if you wanted a "proper ticket", Ticketmaster said it was 5,50 Euro per printed ticket....
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 am

I don´t care about the price.
Last show i have seen was in 2008.
At that time ~40euro for a Trio show.
Now 50Euro for a 4 piece Show plus a special Slim Jim set. That`s ok.
Back to top Go down
ChimingBell

ChimingBell

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Brett wrote:

Normally I don't hassle about prices but that has a little bit of a sellout taste... Stray Cats 2004 cost 35 Euro. Thats ok. Rockabilly Riot 2005 was between 35 and 40 Euros. But 50 Euros for "just" Mr. Setzer? For me it smells a little bit like "mainstream - sellout - rockstar" kind a thing. I know everything's getting more expensive nowadays, but c'mon he's a rockabilly guitar player and formed an underground movement back in the 80ties... Always thought he still had that kind of "subcultural" spirit surrounding him... But it seems that I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 pm

ChimingBell wrote:
Brett wrote:

Normally I don't hassle about prices but that has a little bit of a sellout taste... Stray Cats 2004 cost 35 Euro. Thats ok. Rockabilly Riot 2005 was between 35 and 40 Euros. But 50 Euros for "just" Mr. Setzer? For me it smells a little bit like "mainstream - sellout - rockstar" kind a thing. I know everything's getting more expensive nowadays, but c'mon he's a rockabilly guitar player and formed an underground movement back in the 80ties... Always thought he still had that kind of "subcultural" spirit surrounding him... But it seems that I'm wrong.

Re. "Just" Mr. Setzer: for many people, Stray Cats IS (was/were/whatever) Brian Setzer. IMHO, he's one of the greatest guitarists alive, and although most of the die-hard fans probably belong to "our" subculture, this is what he does for a living. He went "mainstreem" (without losing credibility) when the Christmas tours became the great success they were - if not before. With CD sales dropping, artists are depending more and more on touring and playing concerts to secure their income. A Setzer concert (and of course other artists' concerts) is worth what people are willing to pay. Are the tickets too expensive - well, we won't know yet, will we? Touring is expensive, he's got a bigger band than usual (not counting BSO, of course), probably a bigger crew etc, and more expenses. If he loses money on this one, chances are he won't come back. I don't care about the price, if it fits my schedule I WILL see him this summer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 pm

My point of view is:
I would pay anything to see Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker or Slim Jim Phantom as Stray Cats or as solo artist... BUT I agree with Chiming Bell:
All of a sudden the prices were up. The Stray Cats in 2004 were some 35 Euro... and in 2005 (RRiot), there were reasonably a lot more. I paid 50 Euro for the Paris show....

Sure I do understand that all the money doesn't go to the artists/performers, as there are many other entourage people involved to pay, and also the venue, security... but sometimes artists should be a bit more comprehensive with fans. They do not only (well, WE!) pay for the ticket, but most of us do not live even near the city of the show. This entails food, sometimes hotels and trips, petrol, other people buy some merch -which is not compulsory, of course... but just right after the excitement of a show...it's kind of mandatory, heheh- you see what I mean?

With this I am not saying that artists should be given free shows, it's their job and for that, they must be paid, but since they live on people who admire them, they should take this into their consideration.
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 pm

scratch Or Brian could come to Europe with his 5 band members and assorted road crew, hire out the various venues, and all those plane flights and hotel rooms as he travels from city to city.......pay it all out of his own pocket .......and then play for free too as he owes us that much at least. I mean with his insanely vast record sales and being a worldwide household name, surely he doesnt need the income from touring ? ?
Maybe selling a few cds in Japan every now and again really should be enough to feather his nest in his not too distant old age. confused
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 am

gretschoholic wrote:

Re. "Just" Mr. Setzer: for many people, Stray Cats IS (was/were/whatever) Brian Setzer.

Setzer= master=i`ll follow. Haleluja geek

I missed so much Setzer/BSO/Stray Cat shows in my life,
i `ll take every opportunity to see this guy.

But for sure i can understand the money arguments but it`s not always the artist.
If a tour starts a lot of people are working before and during the tour.
Promoter deceided how much is the ticket. The tax rises up last years in europe for Non-Euro Artists.
Imho the ticket price is still ok.
Jeff Beck is 49.90 EUR (~69USD)
AND-Attention- Yussuf Islam (fka Cat Stevens)= 93,50Euro (125,-USD) Evil or Very Mad Question pig monkey

Brian`s Ticket prices are in a very good range.

TGIF

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ChimingBell

ChimingBell

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 am

Brett wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:

Re. "Just" Mr. Setzer: for many people, Stray Cats IS (was/were/whatever) Brian Setzer.

Setzer= master=i`ll follow. Haleluja geek

I missed so much Setzer/BSO/Stray Cat shows in my life,
i `ll take every opportunity to see this guy.

But for sure i can understand the money arguments but it`s not always the artist.
If a tour starts a lot of people are working before and during the tour.
Promoter deceided how much is the ticket. The tax rises up last years in europe for Non-Euro Artists.
Imho the ticket price is still ok.
Jeff Beck is 49.90 EUR (~69USD)
AND-Attention- Yussuf Islam (fka Cat Stevens)= 93,50Euro (125,-USD) Evil or Very Mad Question pig monkey

Brian`s Ticket prices are in a very good range.

TGIF

Cheers

I think you can't compare this two with Brian Setzer 'cause none of them had ever an "independent" vibe surrounding them. There were always be mainstream and open to a very large target group range. You know what I mean? Brett, I'll guess I could explain myself better in German though you are from Germany and I'm from Austria Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I really love Brian Setzers music and I don't have a huge Stray Cat tattoo on my arm for no reasons, but it's kind of annoying that the whole DIY vibe, "rockabilly rebel" - middle finger to society attitude is gone nowadays. And for me it is not a "rockabilly riot" paying 50 bucks and seeing housewives dancing to MY hero. Maybe it sounds stupid for you all but I'm just missing a little bit the "exclusiveness" of that kind of music.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 am

ChimingBell: des is ok, kein problem.

except one point: Jeff Becknever is and was Mainstream!

Last edited by Brett on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 am

OK, as I am going at least to Cologne and maybe Hamburg, too, Jon really nailed an important point:

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
My point of view is:
They do not only (well, WE!) pay for the ticket, but most of us do not live even near the city of the show. This entails food, sometimes hotels and trips, petrol, other people buy some merch -which is not compulsory, of course... but just right after the excitement of a show...it's kind of mandatory, heheh- you see what I mean?

Right: If I sum up the other expenses that go with attending the concerts, to me it´s funny that people complain about 5-10 EUR extra for a ticket. Of course I thought the tickets would sell for about 40 EUR before the sale started but hey - it´s Brian and it´s Rockabilly and that´s what I´m gladly paying for.
On a local basis we are organizing concerts, too, and there´s ALWAYS a small number of peolpe complaining about the 5 to 10 EUR for the tickets - even if you present bands that have to travel all across Germany and as organizers we have to cover all their expenses, too.

[quote="ChimingBell"][quote="Brett"]
gretschoholic wrote:

And for me it is not a "rockabilly riot" paying 50 bucks and seeing housewives dancing to MY hero. Maybe it sounds stupid for you all but I'm just missing a little bit the "exclusiveness" of that kind of music.

And to keep away houswives and other non-Rockabillys and to have exclusive concerts prices then must go up to 150-200 EUR with small venues /club concerts only. I don´t mind non-die-hard-fans at the concerts and yes, it really would be great to have a very intimate concert with only 100-200 people that REALLY loove the music around but I guess you can´t have that for less.
BTW: Why are some people always so concerned about the exclusiveness of Rockabilly? When Elvis, Buddy and all the others hit the scene in the 50ies hey were all pretty mainstream.

Just my 2 cents.

Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 am

Wrock wrote:

gretschoholic wrote:

And for me it is not a "rockabilly riot" paying 50 bucks and seeing housewives dancing to MY hero. Maybe it sounds stupid for you all but I'm just missing a little bit the "exclusiveness" of that kind of music.

And to keep away houswives and other non-Rockabillys and to have exclusive concerts prices then must go up to 150-200 EUR with small venues /club concerts only. I don´t mind non-die-hard-fans at the concerts and yes, it really would be great to have a very intimate concert with only 100-200 people that REALLY loove the music around but I guess you can´t have that for less.
BTW: Why are some people always so concerned about the exclusiveness of Rockabilly? When Elvis, Buddy and all the others hit the scene in the 50ies hey were all pretty mainstream.

Just my 2 cents.

For the record: that quote is not from me, it's from ChimingBell.

As for rockabilly being "exclusive" or "mainstream": I used to be a full-time musician, playing rockabilly, back in the late eighties/early nineties. Long story short, these days I have a "real" job, and gigging is a rewarding (more mentally than financially) hobby. If you are to make enough money to make ends meet just by gigging and selling records, you HAVE TO reach outside the die-hard rockabilly/Teddy Boy crowd. And IF you can do so and still keep your integrity, well kudos to you. Or to Brian, in this case. He sure paid his dues through his 30-year+ carreer, and if he is able to make a good living playing music that both WE (the rockabilly crowd) and THEY (the rest of his fans) like, I think that's pretty cool.

My $ 0,02
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:01 am

@gretschoholic:

Sorry, my mistake while editing the quote. I intended to address to ChimingBell´s post.

Concerning your statement as a performing musician I agree to 100%.
Unfortunately you can read it very often (at least in one german rockabilly forum) that some of those "die-hard-fans" want to keep it as exclusive as possible with some of them only accepting the authentic 50ies music. To me it´s impossible to keep Rockabilly music alive with that attitude.
Back to top Go down
lonesomecat

lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm

round about 50,. € " just for setzer " booaaahhhhh ....

i don´t care about. i´ll take it ! setzer is great , setzer is god !!!!!!

i better love to go to " small " clubconcerts with bands , they play for their life.

bands that play real fantastic music , just for the music and the people.

they don´t care about the money. they play for the audience .

and that is what rockabilly is about. it is non commercial.
that´s about , how we think in germany.

there is a great community of teds, rockers and lovers of rockabilly music in germany .
and they all stand together . with the bands !
and that " small " concerts goin´on from 20 people in the audience up to 500
are the best. most people know each other , and there is always a great party within.

paying 8,- € for one band , or up to 20,-€ for three bands .
and.... there is the better audience ! there are better bands .

times are changing ! stray cats....setzer.... and so on ... will always be the best for me . but this is just my lonesome opinion.
there are so many bands nowadays , there to go for a concert is much more satisfaction, than to see one time setzer.

4 fantastic gigs with other bands takes me the same money as one time setzer.

setzer takes 50 ,- € , o.k. i´ll pay , and i know i´ll be keen.

but not more. he will make 75 minutes incl. 2 songs encore.
that´s it. and i think it will be great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw. @ brett ( jürgen ) ich glaube nicht , das er im stadtpark spielen wird.
beim letzten mal wurde das konzert in die große freiheit verlegt. es waren höchsten 1000 karten verkauft. stadtpark ist für 4500 zuschauer ausgelegt. und bei dem preis werden warscheinlich diesmal auch nicht mehr kommen.

for the others : in english : i don´t think setzer will take " stadtpark " in hamburg.
because stadtpark is for 4500 people . last time setzer sold just about 1000 tickets in hamburg , so that the gig was deleTED and went to a small location , called " grosse freiheit " . even that location , made for round about 1000 people audience was not sold out. and i think , with the ticket price of 50,- € there will be not more this time.

setzer , BSO, setzer trio ....whatever... is too much " americano " ha ha .

setzer is not famous enough in germany.

i´m afraid, that setzer will be dissapoinTED in germany.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 am

hm...Hi Lonesomecat.
I do not agree 100%. It`s hard to compare local heroes Bands with a Band from the US.
And german Rockabilly events are commercial, sure. They have to make money, minimum to pay the venue, the sound equipment, light equipment, money for transport, for the hands, for the drinks.
They don´t make big money, but they have to be commercial!
Otherwise you arrange a show one time only.
And i never saw a "scene" where people are so jelaous like in the german Rockabilly scene.
I believe you 100% that all parties you`re going to are great. And for sure you are knowing a lot of people they like what they do. So it´s no offense against you, but there is a lot of weird things going on in the big Rockabilly "Community".
Back to top Go down
Madman

Madman

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 am

I shall be seeing The Brian in Copenhagen. Tickets here are about €52, which I will gladly pay.

The Riot is playing at a 1500 person venue which I hope will be sold out.

At least one of the guys coming with me to the gig couldn't give a shit about Teds and Rockabillys, he just wants to see "one of the greatest guitar players alive" his quote, not mine.

BTW: I payed €65 for the Cats farewell tour which played to a sold out (1000 capacity) venue in Copenhagen and Jess wasn't even there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setzer's gonna take Europe kids   Setzer's gonna take Europe kids - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Setzer's gonna take Europe kids
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5