Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

songs that start with a count-in

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

songs that start with a count-in Empty
PostSubject: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 am

I'm looking for recorded songs that start with a count-in - but the song DOESN'T start on 1... so for example, "1-2-3-4-1," then the music starts on the "and" of the one (or anything other than 1 for that matter). Musicians know what I'm talking about, I hope?

I know there's definitely some live songs out there that have the recorded count-in, probably plenty of Setzer songs even.... but I'm coming up dry for ones that don't start on "1". Thanks in advance everybody Smile
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 am

Here's one for you Andi and it even starts on the upbeat of the 1 Smile

Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

Dear Steb,

You are awesome. That is all.

Andi

sunny sunny sunny

(thank you SO MUCH!)
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Haha, excellent! Very Happy
Cheers Andi, glad to help!

That song literally popped into my head when I read your post,
The thing about Rockabilly and Rock 'n' Roll songs is that they generally seem to start with a pickup/lead in, before the first beat, or just on the first beat.

Another song that may possibly fill your criteria is 'Too Hip Gotta Go', that track starts on the upbeat of beat 2.
To be honest though, you'd probably just count it, 1,2,(guitar riff) ......as opposed to 1,2,3,4,1,2,(guitar riff)
I'll let you be the judge on that one.

Are you in the middle of researching something, or is this just a personal curiosity?
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Just trying to learn some musical stuff (for drumming!) and trying to make sense of starting a song mid-measure. It feels like a weird thing to do but obviously it's very common, a coworker pointed me in the direction of some Beatles tunes that do it too:

All My Loving

Yer Blues

Taxman (EDIT: I just read that the count on this was added after the fact, and that you can hear the real count underneath - it's true! And if I'm not mistaken it actually starts on 1 Wink)

I imagine the Who and Led Zeppelin had plenty too, the trick is finding the ones with recorded count-ins... it could be quite a hobby to track down and collect such things. Very Happy

Thanks again for the point in the right direction, of course that's a perfect one to kick off my list!

sunny
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 5:25 pm

does starting on uno count?

I think this is what your after:

Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Vic! Starting on uno doesn't count, it's still on the 1 Wink

She's a woman I think I can barely hear someone say "2" before they start playing so yeah, it counts! Thanks!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Andi wrote:
Thanks Vic! Starting on uno doesn't count, it's still on the 1 Wink

She's a woman I think I can barely hear someone say "2" before they start playing so yeah, it counts! Thanks!! Very Happy

The more I think about it, I'm not sure. For the guitar, the accent is between the beat (on the "and" as in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4), but I guess the drums are still 4/4 time.

Wooly booly abilly vic
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:33 pm

A couple more fab count ins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy625sZAHN8

Speaking of "Wooly Bully," there's this "frat rock" classic:

If you can find a copy of Elvis Costello's version of "Strange" (From Costello's "Kojak Variety" album), a cover of an obscure Screamin' Jay Hawkins song, it has a cool false start and count-in. It probably won't help you in your quest for proper count-in timing, but it is a fun, fun song. Get a load of the lyrics:

How many wrinkles in a pickle,
How many hairs on a head,
How many waves in the ocean,
How many crumbs in bed,
Last but not least, but baby most of all,
Why do I mu-mumble every time you call?

(Chorus)
Because you're strange to me baby
Oh, you're good to me mama
Well I admit that you're strange,
But baby please don't change,
I know I belong with you.

How many bubbles in soap,
How many chewings in gum,
How many rolls in a wheel,
Where do eyeballs come from,
But last but not least, but baby most of all,
Why do I mu-mumble every time you call?

(Chorus)

How many blanks in a blanket,
How many cuts in a knife,
How strong is a bedbug,
And how deep is his bite,
But last but not least, but maybe most of all,
Why do I mu-mumble every time you call.

(Chorus)

Anyway, it beats Hawkins' "Constipation Blues."

All right, I don't have the count-in version, but now I just gotta post Screamin' Jay's original:

Thanks for the fun diversion!

Count Chocula-billy
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Holy Haley! I can't believe I forgot about this one:

Haley's Comet-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Awesome, thanks Rick! I can't believe I've never heard Rock Around the Clock with the count-in!! Shocked

EDIT: I also just checked our collection and while we do have a bunch of Elvis Costello, we don't have that LP Sad sounds like a fun song though!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't know if the count-in was always there, or if it accidentally made it on there when it finally came out on CD. I remember hearing the count-in for the first time in the 80s, when a new radio station was coming to town, and they played this song for 24 hours straight, two days before the station went on the air. One day before the station went on the air, they chose a different song to play on repeat for 24 hours straight: Rock This Town.

Setzerdipity-billy
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Here are studio sessions for Ritchie Valens' "La Bamba:"

I believe one of these finished takes might have been used for the record, with Ritchie overdubbing vocals later. On the single, right out of the guitar solo, you can hear Ritchie's guide vocal deep in the background. 1, 2, 3 count-ins throughout, with the first one coming about at about :54.

Bamba-billy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 am

Does anyone know a Scottish lassie called KT Tunstall?? Her song (and greatest hit) is called "Big Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" - She starts in "two, three four"

Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks a bunch, fellas!!
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 1:39 pm

count in 1-2 1-2-3-4-1 and hit it!

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: songs that start with a count-in   songs that start with a count-in Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

songs that start with a count-in
Page 1 of 1