Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste

Go down 
+2
59 Phantom
tvthewiredturtle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Empty
PostSubject: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Amazon uk lists it avail Nov 5th if you have a good computer with 1080p this thing
is CLEAN and colored up a bit.. I dont like the sound through because the mids
have been flattened out and there is major attenuation of the unique tone Setzer had
with that vox cab. ITs there but not in the fore front.

10 bonus points if anyone can confirm if that cab had either;
Alnico Blues
Silver Blues
or greenbacks.

I'm guessing greenbacks. it was 81

take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rew8n-MrLrw

Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
59 Phantom

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am

thx TV That was a nice video taste, and in 81 there were some Montreux folks on the left side who got it ....cause it sure wasnt jazz Very Happy ..... at least he didnt get booed like Stevie did in 82....
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm

poor Stevie!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 pm

I can't wait for this. Anything early Cats will be cool, I'm not 100% fussed about the tone, as long as the sound as a whole is there (yes I know the tone IS the sound). It will be great to have a DVD from the good ol' days. I hope at some stage Live in Tokyo will be out on DVD.

Anyway, here's the track listing:

01. Sweet Love On My Mind
02. Double Talking Baby
03. Rumble In Brighton
04. My One Desire
05. Ubangi Stomp
06. Drink That Bottle Down
07. Storm The Embassy
08. Stray Cut Strut
09. Fishnet Stockings
10. Important Words
11. Rock This Town
12. Runaway Boys
13. Be Bop A Lula
14. Somethin’ Else
15. Pretty Pretty Baby
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 am

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-dvd-review-stray-cats-live/

Back in 1981, the Stray Cats were a breath of raucous fresh air. At a time when punk, new wave, and disco competed for airplay, the Cats' retro sound was more than just a revival of the rockabilly styles of the late '50s. They were an obvious bridge between the hits that had been laid down on Sun Records by the likes of Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Roy Orbison, with the desires of new audiences wanting rock and roll without the often overblown corporate polish of the '70s.
Right out of the box, the Cats had three major worldwide successes with the singles "Stray Cat Strut," "Sexy and 17," and "Rock This Town." But after two albums, it was pretty much all over. The power trio of vocalist/guitarist Brian Setzer, slap-back upright bassist Lee Rocker, and drummer Slim Jim Phantom would split, reunite, split, and reunite multiple times to the point where their nostalgia=loving audiences would not only be remembering the styles the Cats had reinvigorated, but the Cats' own early '80s songbook as well.
Live at Montreux 1981 is a concert DVD that captures the Cats in their prime on a night of unrelenting rocking for a very appreciative Swiss audience. In DTS Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Stereo, the raw jams of the Cats are preserved in all their primitive glory, including the squeaks, buzzes, and hums of unintentional feedback. The whole scene is as minimalistic as it can get with the Cats' duct-tail haircuts, Western shirts, tight black jeans, and Phantom's simple drum kit—one snare drum and two cymbals. Despite the simplicity of the three-man line-up, the Stray Cats could pump up the volume, fill the arena with their peppy and catchy melodies, and rock every moment of their performance.
Not surprisingly, nine of the 15 tracks are from the Cats' eponymous first album along with numbers not widely circulated or officially released before. Most of the tracks, like "Sweet Love On My Mind," "Double Talking Baby," and "Fishnet Stockings" are pure stomping, thumping fun. One cut, "Storm The Embassy," is worthy of special mention as it's a bit of social commentary on the Iran crisis of 1979 with lines about the Soviets invading Afghanistan. Equally noteworthy is the fact the boys were called out for three encores which resulted in performances of "Runaway Boys," "Be Bop A Lula," and the two-song closer, "Somethin' Else" and "Pretty Pretty Baby." It might be unkind to say that, by that point, we've heard enough of a good thing. These guys don't slow down a minute, and, sooner or later, it all starts to blur together.
So if the only complaint I can find for Live at Montreux 1981 is that the band was overly generous to their fans all those years ago, that should signal this is a disc well worth spending an evening with. You don't have to be a Stray Cats fan or a lover of rockabilly to enjoy this set. Simply wanting to groove on straight-up rock and roll and nothing but three-chord rock and roll is all you need. If you don't end up wanting to strut your moonlit back-alley cat badness when it's done, then you've been too domesticated to go outside.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 8:24 am

I have yet to buy it but Sidelake Bob got it last week or so and we watched it together
before going to see John Lindberg Trio... fantastic... both the DVD and the show.

This DVD has always been ciriculating in bootlegs, but only 10 or 11 songs, so it's nice
to have the uncut show. I guess the Montreux Festival is putting out a lot of shows nowadays.

A couple of weeks ago or so I got hold of Dave Edmunds & Rockpile CD at this festival too.

It was really nice!!

What would be next for the Cats to release?? It would be cool if they could get the rights
of all the shows that were aired on TV like the Rockpalast 1981 and 1983 or that one in
Toronto 1983 too.... or maybe the radio broadcasts too... that would be more than interesting!
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Rockpalast 1981 may be posible to get a hold of by writing to german tv station WDR, which is where Rockpalast is broadcasted.
Maybe they might be able to make you a copy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 pm

In my case, I have that one, but it would be nice to have it officially released too!
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am

I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been more feedback posted on this dvd. I just ordered a copy today, and will post once I've been able to watch. I can't believe I somehow let this release slip until now!
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

I will admit I'm not well read on unofficial Setzer/BSO/Stray Cats releases, so anytime I can experience an officially released piece of music or video from an era I missed is a real treat. To me this show is a very welcome historical document from an era that I missed. The camera work can be a bit frustrating; when Brian solos I want to see the action! The sound quality is fantastic, well mixed. If you haven't bought this yet, I encourage you to do so. Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste   STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81'  here's a taste Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STraycat re release in HD of STrayCats in 81' here's a taste
Page 1 of 1