Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?

Go down 
+26
Guitarmaniac
scatcatcnut
Davy Jones
Cristo
EskimoPie
Pinkpiratekitty
Sharky
DEXTER
wee mark
Pirate Paul
ScottS
sidelake bob
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Rickabilly
jshea71
enjay07
Bigbassape
Scatman
Tommy Maguire
Rocky Mountain Cat
Setzerado
Bear85
Kid Setzer
Brett
laurent327
Le Hub'
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Scatman wrote:
What's the connection between Nesmith and Parsons/Byrds?

"I won't lose a friend, by heeding God's call,
For what is a friend, who'd want you to fall"?

Groovin' to The Boxmasters right now,
Scatman

Ah, the Boxmasters - they have at least one, possibly two Nesmith tunes on their CD. Michael Nesmith's country stylings with the Monkees just remind me of the Sweethearts of the Rodeo album - I'm not aware of any connection. Some people try to give Nesmith credit for influencing the Byrds / Burrito Brothers / Eagles / Poco etc., but I think the "country rock" thing was just a natural evolution out of the folk movement. Shoot, even Rick Nelson and Bob Dylan traveled down that path in the mid-late 60s.

Nashville Skyline-billy
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 pm

[left]
"Pontiac"- Lyle Lovett, 1987.
Back to top Go down
jshea71

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Eskimo Pie - Pontiac, EXCELLENT choice. Brilliant album. And with the thumbs up from Tommy and Rickabillly, I may have to invest in some Richard Hawley. tommy's recommend of Rockferry on the bs forum was one of the best album purchases I've made in a very very very long time.

Tonight's playlist has included:

A Sammy Davis Jr. Collection

The Mysterious Production of Eggs - Andrew Bird

Going Somewhere - by the excellent Colin Hay

The Biz Never Sleeps (The Diabolical Biz Markie) - Biz Markie

Resident Alien - Spacehog

And all this talk of the the "country rock" evolution makes me want to put on Wheatstraw Suite by The Dillards.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 am

This morning I am listening to a collection of Syd Barrett CDs. I've got a soft spot for poor Syd. "The Madcap Laughs" is on at the moment, to be followed by "Barrett" and then "Opel".

Close our eyes to the octopus ride,
Tommy
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 am

TODAY:

Jace Everett - Old New Borrowed Blues.

The "True Blood" thread got me going on this one.

Hey! Is that Bill the vampire? No, it's Slim Jim . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 am

Tommy Maguire wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:
Tommy's recommendation has me pulling my limited edition 3CD set of the Headquarters sessions.

I'm dying to get a hold of that! I never knew it came out and I really thought I was on top of that Monkee-business.

Ever hear "Riu Chiu (TV Version)" off of the limited "Pisces, Aquarius..." 2-CD set? Friggin' great!

For Pete's Sake,
Mr. Webster

I need to get the 2-CD reissues from last year - I have what I think is a studio version of "Riu Chiu" on Missing Links, Vol. 2 - I diggit! Having the TV series on DVD, I think I'll take a look at it tonight.

Listen to the Band!

Daily Nightly-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Today, it's been "back to (Sun) roots" : Warren Smith, Charlie Feathers, Carl Perkins, Malcolm Yelvington, Sonny Burgess and... Rockabilly Riot of course !
Put your cat clothes on Cool
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:20 pm

I'm seein' a lotta cool stuff in here. You guys rock!

I've been listening to Buddy Holly nonstop lately. I heard a song on an oldies station a while back, and I can't shake this Buddy-fever!

That, and The Animals. I got some greatest hits compilation or something a couple years ago, two discs... it's great.

For my daily dose of Setzer, I've got "Ignition!" going quite a bit. Man, that one rocks!

I've also been listening to a lotta blues, too. I really dig that old stuff, like Muddy, and Elmore James, and Slim Harpo. And all the "Otis-es" (Rush, Spann, Redding, Johnny Otis... there's a lotta them!). Then you got your Byther Smith, Albert King and Buddy Guy... and of course, John Lee Hooker and B.B.

Two of my new favorites are Luther Allison and Albert Collins.
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Here be' the last few things (mix of albums and songs) in mine (i.e. CD player/iPod/turntable):

B.S.O. - 1st album (September Skies, even though we're now in October hence still autumn)

Metallica - Death Magnetic & And Justice for All & Master of Puppets (new album made me go back and revisit the classics)

Les Paul - Best of trio recordings and It's Been a Long Long Time (trio jazz standards from the master along with his duet with Bing Crosby)

Wes Montgomery - Full House (Excellent 1962 live show from San Francisco's Tsubo Berkeley jazz club featuring Miles Davis' rhythm section and the recently departed (Aug. 2008) Johnny Griffin on tenor sax. In my opinion the best Wes recording ever done.)

Coleman Hawkins - Body & Soull (one of the great early sax players, but also features a guitar solo (Herb Ellis? maybe) on the song Spotlight)

Mike Curb Congregation - Burning Bridges (theme to Kelly's Heroes, one of my favorite action/comedy war movies)

Vince Guaraldi - Great Pumpkin Waltz (theme from Peanuts Halloween special)

Atlanta Rhythm Section - Spooky (again due to Halloween upcoming)

Pirates of the Caribbean - soundtrack to all 3 films (no explanation necessary, Arrgh!)
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I knew if we started discussing The Monkees, Davy Jones would turn up...

An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Davy-jones

What's that?

Oh.

Cheer Up, Sleepy Jean-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Davy, Full House is my fav' Jazz record !
What a team : Wes, Johnny Griffin on sax, Winton Kelly on piano and Paul Chambers on the bass !!!
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Oups, I forgot Jimmy Cobb on the drums.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 am

Sunday's playlist:

Corey Harris - Fish Ain't Bitin'
Slim Harpo - Best Of
Elmore James - King Of The Slide Guitar
Muddy Waters - King Bee
The Yardbirds - BBC Sesions
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
Dave Edmunds - D. E. 7th
Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains - Red Hot & Live!
The Very Best Of Otis Redding
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Ok...this is NOT in the music player in my car, or computer, or MP3 player etc. This song has been in the music player IN MY HEAD all friggin' day long and I can NOT get it to leave!!!! Worst of all, it's a friggin' song from the 70's (my LEAST favorite era--no offense to those who love it)....here goes: Mad

Albert Hammond's
"Free Electric Band."

I don't know where the heck I picked up the song today, or how. But the damn thing has been playing over & over & over in my head. Somebody...please make it go away!!!

It didn't help I was running errands in & out of stores all day, then washing the windows of my house (do I need a job or what??). Ugh!!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring something better! "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" maybe??
Razz
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 am

Choochoohothub wrote:
Davy, Full House is my fav' Jazz record !
What a team : Wes, Johnny Griffin on sax, Winton Kelly on piano and Paul Chambers on the bass !!!

Gotta love Wes. What a great sound.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I knew if we started discussing The Monkees

Ha Ha Ha! I thought the Monkee's name was Jack?

An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Lost275

Choochoohottub and Sharky:

Glad to see ye also have such good taste in jazz. That album is probably my favorite jazz one as well. They were all spot on, and like so many of the great artists, Wes, to me, sounds better live than in the studio, and on that album with that group he was off the charts. His technical mastery of the instrument is incredible (playing without a pick and just his thumb), as one of the many highlights is that chord-melody ending to Born to Be Blue. It's a shame that no one captured that concert on video (I don't know of any recording that exists).

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 12:09 am

Davy & Sharky : thanks a lot for sharing about a such great man like Wes Montgomery, probably one of the most under-estimated from anytime. Full House on DVD ? A dream I've made so many times... Each time I heard this record (and it happens really often !) I imagine this 5 men playing at their best... This record is perfect (like others Wes albums : Incredible Jazz Guitar for example)

Today on my music player, it's Setzer day !! Cool

- 13 ****
- Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy *****
- Rockabilly Riot ****
- Wolgang's Big Night Out *****
- Ignition *****
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 12:32 am

Choochoo, have a nice Setzer day ! cheers

Talkin' about Wes made me want to go back to one of his recorded live albums !
Today, for me it's Wes Montgomery "Smokin' At The Half Note" recorded live in 1965 with the same guys that in Full House (P. Chambers, J. Cobb, W. Kelly)
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Setzerado wrote:
Talkin' about Wes made me want to go back to one of his recorded live albums !
Today, for me it's Wes Montgomery "Smokin' At The Half Note" recorded live in 1965 with the same guys that in Full House (P. Chambers, J. Cobb, W. Kelly)

Yeah, that's another fantastic album. Great selection by ye. I particularly like his version of Erroll Garner's classic Misty, as it's one of (if not the best) version I've ever heard, even though it's perfromed in a different key than the original.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Only girls today :

Cool -Wanda Jackson "Rockabilly Queen"
-Imelda May "Love Tattoo"
-Diana Krall "A Dedication To The Nat King Cole Trio"
-Amy Winehouse "Back To Black"
-Les Rita Mitsouko "The No Comprendo"
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 10:48 am

The Mansfields 'Cramp Your Style' hybrid of Sun style rockabilly, the Ramones and the New York Dolls.

Warner Hodges new solo album -can't remember title -pretty good on the whole possibly not quite up to the Jason & Scorchers benchmark

Goldblade 'Mutiny' Manchester UK band - the only one worth bothering about in my opinion - cross between Rancid and Kings era Ants

The Hold Steady -'Stay Positive' -but mainly for the 'Sequestered in Memphis' track.

The Count Bishops 'Rollin' with the Count Bishops' '70's UK pubrock -somewhat in style of Dr Feelgood.

Dogs D'amour 'King of Thieves'

The Quireboys 'Best of'

Mott The Hoople - 'Best of'

Hank Ballard -Ace dance craze orientated comp

Private Sector 'Stay Free' Manchester 70's punky blues band - the only band that mattered from Manchester back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 am

Great stuff scatcatcnut!

Here's what I'm hearin' -----

- Althea & Donna "Uptown Top Ranking"
- Marvin Gaye "The Master 1961-1984 [Disc 3]"
- Charlie Parker "The Genius Of Charlie Parker"
- Syd Barrett "Barrett"
- Paul Weller "As Is Now"
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:44 am

Here's my top 5 at the moment:

"Stray Cats" - Stray Cats
"High Voltage" - AC/DC
"the best of Dinosaur Jr" - Dinosaur Jr
"Greatest Hits" - SRV and Double Trouble
"Rumble" - The best of Link Wray
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 2:22 am

I've noticed that a lot of us have 'best of's' in our lists -was a debate on radio last night -can you name an album by a band that is better than their greatest hits album -is pretty hard to do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?   An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Old Game Between Us : WHAT'S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next