Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 'Knife' era live show

Go down 
+3
Budgie
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
scatcatcnut
7 posters
AuthorMessage
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

Top 'Knife' era live show Empty
PostSubject: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 am

Anyone checking out the rarities site have a look at this show - Capitol Theater 04-20-86.

Has brilliant version of Breath of Life, plus totally different feel rock this town -in E I think, plus great 2 guitar stray cat strut

http://rapidshare.com/files/87054790/Setzer_1986.zip.html
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm

I was at this show. It was my first time ever seeing Brian , along time ago but I do remember the highlights . I remember thinking he looked so cool even though he had abandoned the 50s look. It was the first time I had seen other rockabillies (I lived in Ireland from age 6 to 20 and I was the only 50s guy ,everyone else was AC-DC or Meatloaf.) And I remember Setzers band and the Fabulous T.Birds (they opened for Brian) ripping into Tear It Up together. And the bass player had a big high pompadour I have photos somewhere but I dont know how to upload them.
I also have this show on bootleg video and my own face makes a cameo in a shot of the crowd. How excited was I when I spotted that.
I was there with a Jersey girl named Joannie Schuelien.....Hi Joannie ,wherever you are.

Last edited by Vincent Blackshadow on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I tried to go to this show... I had just got my license and was told to cross the George Washington Bridge to get to Jersey... What they failed to tell me was to cross either the Triboro, Whitestone or Throggs Neck Bridge to get to the Bronx to get to the George Washington!! So I got scared and went home.
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
I was at this show. It was my first time ever seeing Brian , along time ago but I do remember the highlights . I remember thinking he looked so cool even though he had abandoned the 50s look. It was the first time I had seen other rockabillies (I lived in Ireland rom age 6 to 20 and I was the only 50s guy ,everyone else was AC-DC or Meatloaf.) And I remember Setzers band and the Fabulous T.Birds (they opened for Brian) ripping into Tear It Up together. And the bass player had a big high pompadour I have photos somewhere but I dont know how to upload them.
I also have this show on bootleg video and my own face makes a cameo in a shot of the crowd. How excited was I when I spotted that.
I was there with a Jersey girl named Joannie Schuelien.....Hi Joannie ,whereever you are.

Oh man, it must of been an incredible show!
I don't know if it's possible but youtube is screaming for some clips from your video.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:04 pm

Sorry , my video is VHS and I aint too technical. However part of this show is on some MTV or VH1 documentry about Brian. Some one on the board will know what I'm talking about as I can't remember exactly. If I ever figure out how to upload photos , I got some good ones.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Great show, thanks scatcatcnut.
I`m a big fan of the "Knife-period".
So many awesome songs like "Bobby`s back", "Breath of life" and "maria".

I cannot understand why these songs are not so popular like all the old Springsteen songs.

B
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 3:06 am

Even though I usually much prefer Brian's rockabilly stuff ironically Knife is my favourite post Cats album. Breath of Life is one of his all time best songs for me and I don't even usually go for the mellower stuff. There is something magical about this gig though - the 'atmosphere' just seems spot on etc.

This live show is the CD that I play more often than anything else by Brian/Cats these days - is permanently kept in my car!
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:25 am

What a shame "Knife" didnt reach a wider audience. Barbed wire fence is excellent , Maria is an absolutly beautiful song ,Radiation Ranch rocked ,bobbys back is excellent. I didnt like 2 songs ,Haunted river and Chains around your heart.
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 2:56 pm

No prob about the video man.
I wonder if the part of the show you're talking about is also what is available on the Rock Influences show??
Shame you're not so keen on Haunted River & Chains Around Your Heart, they're 2 of my favourites for sure Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 am

And the bass player had a big high pompadour I have photos somewhere but I dont know how to upload them.

You got a digi camera?
Just take a picture of the old ones. Maybe put it on macro to get it sharp. I'm sure you know how to upload the results...
And where is that secret video???
bounce

I didnt like Chains around your heart.

Are you kidding??
That's his best ever!!
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm not sure which is the best gig from the 'Knife' period.

Quote :
I`m a big fan of the "Knife-period".
So many awesome songs like "Bobby`s back", "Breath of life" and "maria".

I cannot understand why these songs are not so popular like all the old Springsteen songs.

I think it's because they have an eighties feel to them, whereas Stray Cats had the 50's.
No one's actually mention the song 'Knife feels like justice' - i still put that one in a Setzer top ten. But it's good to know that not everyone hates these songs....it gives Budgie and i someone to talk too.....not that we're a couple you understand!
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 'Knife' era live show   Top 'Knife' era live show Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 'Knife' era live show
Page 1 of 1