Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tommy Byrnes?

Go down 
+2
Kelley
JC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JC

JC

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 am

Looking at some Stray Cat Boots on the net and saw one with that listed Tommy Byrnes on second guitar.
I never new there was a four piece line up of The Stray Cats!

Anyone have any info on this?

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Kelley

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 5:32 am

he played guitar with the Cats and Brian solo from 1984-88 U think

here is a link:
the fourth cat
he is from Long Island and also played with other artists like Billy Joel (another Long Island native, lol)
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 5:48 am

The Summer 1984 tour (thte final tour before Brian broke up the Cats the first time) featured Tommy Byrnes on guitar. Although I never saw an official press release that he was "officially" a Stray Cat, Brian did introduce him as "the newest member of the band." Having a second guitar sounded a little weird on some of the Stray Cats classics during that tour, but it did give us an idea of what the next Stray cats album might have sounded like had they not broken up. Future Setzer solo tune "Barbwire Fence" featured some terrific dueling guitar work. "Bobby's Back" was also performed and the Phantom Rocker & Slick track "Time Is On My Hands" was also part of the setlist on that 1984 tour, as were fantastic covers like CCR's "Hey Tonight" (with 3-part harmonies), Elvis' "Little Sister", and Sonny Curtis' "Love Is All Around (Theme From the Mary Tyler Moore Show)."

Man, I would have loved to have heard that album.

Smokin' and a-Byrnesin'-a-billy
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

The Stray Cats rarities blog site has some live stuff with the four piece line up -sorry can't do link as am on work computer and it blocks that kind of site.
Back to top Go down
Kelley

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 am

oh I had sent in a link for everyone,
scatcatcnut!
hope that one will work! Smile
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 pm

scatcatcnut wrote:
The Stray Cats rarities blog site has some live stuff with the four piece line up -sorry can't do link as am on work computer and it blocks that kind of site.

Stray Cats Rarities

Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Kelley

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 pm

thank you for your links, Shaker!
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 11:56 pm

Yup, I know it's 8 minutes until midnight on New Year's Eve, but here I go:

From the Scatman Archive:

Bill Thompson (formerly of the BMT's) joined the Cats for 1 or 2 shows in July, 1984
and was shortly replaced by Tommy Byrnes (also of the BMT's). Tommy toured France and the US with the Stray Cats in July and August, and from what i can tell their last date before splitting up was on Sept. 2, 1984 at the Louisiana World's Fair
in New Orleans.

Now, can anybody tell us if there are dates after Sept.2, and can anyone shed any light on Mr. Bill Thompson???

OK, gotta go.................Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 am

I had the chance to see the Cats playing with Tommy in july 1984.
Never heard about Bill T. with Stray Cats before (thanks Scatman for the info)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tommy Byrnes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy Byrnes?   Tommy Byrnes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tommy Byrnes?
Page 1 of 1