Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gonna Ball diner

Go down 
+3
Hot Rod Girl
Andi
Spanishdavid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 am

A while ago Tommy solved the mistery about the Gonna Ball diner.... gave us the location and details at bs.com

Gonna Ball diner Frtcover

I´ve been playing over google maps, and with the fantastic tool "street view" that you all may know, you can do the search and virtually get yourself at the main door of that historical site for us Stray Cats fans:

Ariline Diner - now owned by "Jackson Hole burgers"

Now.... we need to solve the second mistery.... which is the exact table where the Cats were sitting while they had the inside picture taken:

Gonna Ball diner Bckcover

69-35 Astoria Boulevard
Jackson Heights, NY 11370

http://www.jacksonholeburgers.com/location.php?id=7
Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:33 am

Be aware that there's a mistake on the back cover, where the place is to be located in NJ and not in NY...
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:46 am

Gonna Ball diner 2967114037_bc8ccda6a6

http://flickr.com/search/?w=87198465%40N00&q=airline+diner&m=text
I was there in October. The interior has been changed, I don't think it's laid out the same as it was when the photo was taken for the record. They make you sign a release to photograph the place (saying you won't sell the pics or anything) and they don't like you shooting a lot. There were two managers sitting right in front of me but I know I grabbed at least one interior shot- I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by andi on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:51 am

Hmm, how comes they are that jealous about people taking pics of the inside??

I remember that in Candem Town in London... many places had an advert on the entrance "No pics allowed", maybe they were afraid of people copying ideas or whatsoever, but that restaurant, I mean, the Gonna Ball one, should be happy for having people going who visit it just because is the place where the Cats took that shot.

All I can say is... "OMG, Kenny's dead again!!"
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:58 am

This is the interior as it looks now.

Gonna Ball diner DSC_1788

Gonna Ball diner DSC_1787

Last edited by Andi on Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 7:11 am

Oh man... that place is JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, you said you have to sign a release paper to take pictures... but that´s if you take shots inside, I guess. You can take pics outside without asking for permission, right?

Did you ask the people who worked there if they had any clue about the Cats cover? I´m saying this cause it´s not the same owner, since it´s been bought by that burger franchise... even though I´m sure that from time to time some rockabilly pops up with the same story, taking pics of the place....

Thanks Andi!
Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 am

Gonna eat, like i've never done before!!

Ooops, it was Gonna Ball like I've never done before ;-)
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am

Andi,
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I love the way the old diners look, outside and inside. It's a shame that so many of them have disappeared over the years.

It's not really Setzer related, but if any of you are interested in a fun book on diners, here's one I got for Christmas a couple of years back. It's loaded with fun pictures and great gut-busting recipes. Retro Diner--Comfort Food from the American Roadside, by Linda Everett.

Happy Eating!
hrg
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 am

Spanishdavid wrote:

Now.... we need to solve the second mistery.... which is the exact table where the Cats were sitting while they had the inside picture taken:

If you look at the bottom picture that Andi took, the table where the Cats were at is in the back right corner. They've pretty much replaced all the tables & chairs since 1981 (which is probably a GOOD thing! LOL!!) but the basic layout of the diner is still the same. What someone needs to do is post the clip from the movie "Goodfellas" that was shot at the Airline Diner!!

How the f#*k am I funny? What the f#*k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny,
Budgie DeVito
Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 am

Are you talking to me??

Jon DeNiro
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
Andi,
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I love the way the old diners look, outside and inside. It's a shame that so many of them have disappeared over the years.

It's not really Setzer related, but if any of you are interested in a fun book on diners, here's one I got for Christmas a couple of years back. It's loaded with fun pictures and great gut-busting recipes. Retro Diner--Comfort Food from the American Roadside, by Linda Everett.

Happy Eating!
hrg

Thanks..I'll check it out. I am a geek about all things mid century modern, all the googie designs, tiki,etc.
We have a lot of the architecture here in so cal but not so much about the cool diners. So.. my kitchen is
a diner! I told mandi we need a section of the forum for all the space age/mid century stuff.

btw.. got that Album framed and on the wall. It'd be fun to pull it down and drag out the old technics turntable!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Budgie wrote:
Spanishdavid wrote:

If you look at the bottom picture that Andi took, the table where the Cats were at is in the back right corner. They've pretty much replaced all the tables & chairs since 1981 (which is probably a GOOD thing! LOL!!) but the basic layout of the diner is still the same. What someone needs to do is post the clip from the movie "Goodfellas" that was shot at the Airline Diner!!

How the f#*k am I funny? What the f#*k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny,
Budgie DeVito

Thanks for that! No Stray cats collection is complete without a original copy of Goodfellas.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Spanishdavid wrote:
So, you said you have to sign a release paper to take pictures... but that´s if you take shots inside, I guess. You can take pics outside without asking for permission, right?

I was told I had to sign the release for internal AND external photos. (The managers were pretty surly about it too. Not sure if that was because they appeared to be going over their finances or if they were just surly in general.) I suppose if I'd just driven up, shot a few pictures and left they wouldn't have been able to enforce the release thing, but we actually went in and had lunch. (I had a grilled cheese sandwich and a vanilla Coke. Not bad, typical diner fare!)

Spanishdavid wrote:
Did you ask the people who worked there if they had any clue about the Cats cover? I´m saying this cause it´s not the same owner, since it´s been bought by that burger franchise... even though I´m sure that from time to time some rockabilly pops up with the same story, taking pics of the place....

When I asked about photographing it, I was carrying my Nikon D70 which looks like a professional camera to the untrained eye. The manager guy said, "what are you, some kinda professional?" I said, "no, just a fan of the Stray Cats." He barely even acknowledged my response and told his manager guy partner to get me a release. I was wearing a sweater the whole time we were inside (it was New York in October, a little chilly) but I pulled it off for the photo outside, wearing my Euro tour t-shirt. As we went to get in our car and leave our waitress was outside having a smoke. She said "Oh I didn't see your Stray Cats t-shirt before! Did you know they did pictures here for one of their album covers?" I said, "yep, that's why we're here! Do you get many people coming through because of the Stray Cats?" She said, "only one other couple that I know of- I think they were from Norway."

And that was the end of it.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Budgie wrote:
If you look at the bottom picture that Andi took, the table where the Cats were at is in the back right corner.

Aw man! We sat on the complete OPPOSITE side of the diner!! Ah well. I was there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 pm

andi wrote:
"only one other couple that I know of- I think they were from Norway."

Well I think I know who it wasn't!!! lol!

Sorry Anders.

Jackson Heights, NJ Budge
Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Shit, this post of mine has been modified by someone unknown....
Dammit!

Last edited by JonPascual on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm

JonPascual wrote:
Hey Budge,
I like white men,who is the guy next to you in the pic??? ;-)

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 2:13 am

Thanks for the info on the table, Budgie.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 am

Budgie wrote:
andi wrote:
"only one other couple that I know of- I think they were from Norway."

Well I think I know who it wasn't!!! lol!

Sorry Anders.

Jackson Heights, NJ Budge

Surely, it must be embarrassing for the LaGuardia taxi drivers, walking distance and all...? My excuse: I'm not a local Wink - I'll be back, though!

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Sponsored content

Gonna Ball diner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna Ball diner   Gonna Ball diner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gonna Ball diner
Page 1 of 1