Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Not a big problem but...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Riffs_yeah!

Not a big problem but... Empty
PostSubject: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:03 am

...the action on my Gretsch Setzer Signiture is a little higher than I'm used to.
Now I'm adjusting and it hasn't taken any of the pleasure out of the experience but just out of curiosity has anyone lowered the action on one of these? Would it kill the tone?
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

It won't kill the tone as long as you set it up and intonate and be buzz free. You may want to take it to a Luthier/ Guitar Shop to do it all right and tell him what you want. I say this only because the Bridge radius isn't matched to the fingerboard and it might not get as low as professional can get it and stay buzz free. Its also nice to get a second perspective. Maybe some Nut work and some fret dressing will get it nice, low and rippin'.

It isn't expensive but really worth a good setup. Also, check out the Gretsch forum and a guy on there makes a bridge for the mismatched radius if you are interested more PM me.
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Riffs_yeah! wrote:
...the action on my Gretsch Setzer Signiture is a little higher than I'm used to.
Now I'm adjusting and it hasn't taken any of the pleasure out of the experience but just out of curiosity has anyone lowered the action on one of these? Would it kill the tone?

I think it's beyond repair...
You can sell it to me if you want to.
Let's say....$300??
jocolor
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 pm

hey I'll give you $700! Smile

if you look down at the thread about hot rod bridges or just search the site for "bridges" or "setup" you will probably find most of what you need.
FWIW.. your tone, feel and dynamics will all improve by dialing in your string to fretboard
spacing via the bridge and truss rod in the neck ( go professional on the truss).. your pkup
to string height is REALLY important with filtertrons..they like to be real real close as they
are alnico bar mags inside the casing
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Riffs_yeah!

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 5:47 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

if you look down at the thread about hot rod bridges or just search the site for "bridges" or "setup" you will probably find most of what you need.
FWIW.. your tone, feel and dynamics will all improve by dialing in your string to fretboard
spacing via the bridge and truss rod in the neck ( go professional on the truss).. your pkup
to string height is REALLY important with filtertrons..they like to be real real close as they

Thanks TV. I have encountered a very skilled set-up guy which is why I started to consider fiddling with it, I really don't understand this whole bridge issue so I will search as you recommended.
And lastly, I know you are an unmatchable expert on all this but I'm pretty certain I don't have filtrons, it has TVJones pick-ups, it's the most recent Setzer model, a G6120SSU.

The action isn't very high or anything, it's just that I haven't played for years and I always used to have strat-copy Yamaha's and Ibanez's that were dialled right down to about a micron! I obviously don't expect - or want - to go really low with the Gretsch but just a little shaved off would be nice.

Thanks for all replies.
Back to top Go down
Riffs_yeah!

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 am

I forgot to ask. Does anyone know what sort of action Brian uses on his Gretsch's? Not that matching it is ever going to make me play like him!
Back to top Go down
Riffs_yeah!

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 am

Riffs_yeah! wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Thanks TV. I have encountered a very skilled set-up guy which is why I started to consider fiddling with it, I really don't understand this whole bridge issue so I will search as you recommended.
And lastly, I know you are an unmatchable expert on all this but I'm pretty certain I don't have filtrons, it has TVJones pick-ups, it's the most recent Setzer model, a G6120SSU.

Oh dear! Sorry to bump this but I just realized that my TV Jones pickups ARE filtertrons!
Apologies TV, I really do need to get a clue!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a big problem but...   Not a big problem but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a big problem but...
Page 1 of 1