Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When I met Brian

Go down 
+9
badkitty
FrenchyCat
EskimoPie
Le Hub'
pony65k
Twenty Flight Rick
Kid Setzer
Kelley
Pistol Pete
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

I met Brian really briefly in '90, when the Cats were doing their support for Jimmy Barnes "Two Fires" Tour (Concrete Blonde were also supporting on the same bill). I ran to the back /exit door after the show finished and waited to see if I could get a glimpse of any of them. We chatted with his then guitar tech, who gave us some pink guitar pics with the logo on them, and the drum tech gave us one of Jim's drumsticks as well (I had caught Jim's wristband during the show).
After a while, Brian strolled out and greeted us and we talked about the show, he geniunely seemed concerned about how it went since he was getting zapped from the mic, and at one point he apolized and said chill for a minute but don't go away, we'll continue on! Jim and Lee came out and greeted us, but pretty much went straight to the bus, don't blame them, very physical show.
I asked Brian if he could sign my guitar pickguard, which he did but then said to hang on a second. He came out with some glossy 8x10 of the band and signed them for us. We talked about his Rods, which he had just sold he told us because the wooden frame was starting to rot and just general stuff.
When he left he thanked us for our support and said that they'll be back real soon, which they did a few months later.
The impression that he left on me was one of a great artist that could be belting out a song in front of 20 or 20000 people, it wouldn't matter, because he was doing it for his fans, and that's what really mattered. I'm looking forward for the Feb gigs here in Oz, and who knows, I might just get to meet him again.
That's my story, what's yours?
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
Kelley

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Great story Pete! Hopefully I'll have one to tell after Feb Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 8:04 pm

The closest I came to meeting him was a handshake from the stage at the end of the show BSO played in SC in Dec '06. I said "Thank you for coming down south!" and he said, "Thanks for having us."
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 pm

My story is that I'll be hanging out with you after the show Pete Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 1:50 pm

I met Brian in 1995 when he came for his first gig in France with the Orchestra. As it was a (Jazz !) festival, the crowd used to go from one gig to the other. I was walking near the backdoor when he arrived. He had a golden suit, leather jacket and... Sunglasses in the night !
I started the conversation by some apologizes, talking to him just before a gig and he answered there was no matter. Real polite, real cool, so beautiful and... A little "stressed".
We talked about music, the end of the Cats and the beginning of the BSO. He found moving that I've crossed France from south to north just to watch him with his new band. He signed my ticket and closed by this words I will never forget : "All right my friend, I gotta go now... God bless you".
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

The first time I met Brian was during the 'Live Nude Guitars' tour in 1985 after a show at the Living Room in Providence, RI. I was 16 and really, really nervous! It's like he sensed that and was incredibly kind, surrounded by a ton of jostling people, gave me his full attention and we talked for almost five minutes. (That doesn't sound like a long time but after a show and when the bus is getting ready to leave it is!) He wanted to know about ME and thanked ME for being there. It showed me that he cared. I was blown away and overjoyed to find that my favorite musician in the world has a heart, is human, and a really nice one at that. Time is, even more so now, our most precious commodity in life, and that time made all the difference in the world. I would have been crushed if he had acted like a celebrity, and I left feeling absolutely joyful after a killer show! cheers Thanks for letting me share that.
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
I met Brian really briefly in '90, when the Cats were doing their support for Jimmy Barnes "Two Fires" Tour (Concrete Blonde were also supporting on the same bill). Cheers Pete.

Great experience I'd like to live!
Can you tell us when and where exactly (it's always precious information for fans!!). Thanks

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
Kelley

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 2:30 pm

'God bless you?' wow that's a cool thing to say Very Happy
I'm enjoying all of these stories, keep going
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 2:46 pm

FrenchyCat wrote:
Pistol Pete wrote:
I met Brian really briefly in '90, when the Cats were doing their support for Jimmy Barnes "Two Fires" Tour (Concrete Blonde were also supporting on the same bill). Cheers Pete.

Great experience I'd like to live!
Can you tell us when and where exactly (it's always precious information for fans!!). Thanks

FrenchyCat

No worries!
Stray Cats and Concrete Blonde supported Jimmy Barnes' Two Fires tour (Brian recorded "Lil' Darlin" as well that album) during Dec 1990. Thry played Monday Dec 3 @ Transformers Nightclub by themselves and @ Memorial Drive Oval Tues Dec 4th with Barnes. They incorporated a national tour for the upcoming Let's Go Faster album parallel to the support gig. The following March they came back and did the official LGF tour and played 2 shows @ Transformers Nightclub. Did I see all 4 shows? You bet! I was less than 2 metres away from Brian @ each show, leaning over the stage!
Some momentos..

When I met Brian DSC01132When I met Brian DSC01133When I met Brian MOV01130

Yep, that's Brian's signiture on the last photo.
Cheers Pete
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot Pete, that's what I call an huge fan!! cheers (anyway, I didn't have any doubt about it, just by reading your posts and comments).
Merci beaucoup!

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:07 pm

EskimoPie wrote:
The first time I met Brian was during the 'Live Nude Guitars' tour in 1985 after a show at the Living Room in Providence, RI. I was 16 and really, really nervous! It's like he sensed that and was incredibly kind, surrounded by a ton of jostling people, gave me his full attention and we talked for almost five minutes. (That doesn't sound like a long time but after a show and when the bus is getting ready to leave it is!) He wanted to know about ME and thanked ME for being there. It showed me that he cared. I was blown away and overjoyed to find that my favorite musician in the world has a heart, is human, and a really nice one at that. Time is, even more so now, our most precious commodity in life, and that time made all the difference in the world. I would have been crushed if he had acted like a celebrity, and I left feeling absolutely joyful after a killer show! cheers Thanks for letting me share that.

More like 1988 Wink
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I'd rather say on 13th april 1986... who confirms?

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:21 pm

EskimoPie,
The LIVE NUDE GUITARS tour took place in July 1988...
I guess you met him during THE KNIFE tour...
April 13, 1986 - The Living Room Club, Providence, Rhode Island.
Show filmed for a Japanese TV show. An interview followed after.
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Beg your pardon... coffee hasnt kicked in yet Smile I am really bad with dates (as Tommy knows).
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:25 pm

And yes, Knife was the one. The experience stays the same though.
Back to top Go down

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Of course man!
You lucky guy!!
I can only say that I met Slim Jim twice...
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes, a great experience, EskimoPie!!
I met Jim once, Lee twice and Brian ..... none Crying or Very sad

Frenchy(deseperate)Cat
Back to top Go down

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Frenchy,
come on, i'll give you a hug.
Lee will be surely in Europe soon... honestly... so, there is no time to complain. I'd love to meet him too... and about Brian... well, i'd love to too but, nah, not really concerned. Slim Jim is the best Stray Cat ever
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:43 pm

I sincerly can't say if there's a best cat in the band. They ARE the band. Your opinion may change when you'll meet Lee.
But we can't judge just by meeting a performer one night after one gig. The first time I met Lee, I could talk with him all night long: I was impressed by that. The second time, I caught him just before the van took him away: 30 seconds and a few words. He was tired, he had to go. No matter, I can understand that. Anyway, he's a gentleman, believe me! Cool

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 4:05 pm

I saw the cats with Mark Winchester in 04 i think. They were playing a surfing benefit concert with Gary Hoey and The Blasters. It was in a small bar on the Santa Monica pier and i was standing in the front, and the stage was so tiny. The cats played last and Brian was pretty sloshed. Smile they played a great show and i talked to Mark Winchester for a little at the end and got some autographs from him and Jim. We went to the back by Bryan's limo and when we asked for his autograph he just walked past and got in the car. Not gonna lie, we were pretty disappointed. he was so wasted though so i dont really hold it against him. i know what an amazing guy he is and still love him to death.
also, thats one reason i dont drink

frenchy, i totally agree with you. i cant judge him by that night after the gig Smile hes a class act
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Kelley

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 pm

mjcodina, I dont' drink either! I just get sick from it, can never get a buzz
great story though thank you for sharing
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 5:34 pm

pony65k wrote:
My story is that I'll be hanging out with you after the show Pete Laughing

I may have some interesting news....I'll keep ya posted.......
Back to top Go down
rubydoll5
Admin
rubydoll5

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 7:29 pm

With all the negativity lately on this board its so nice to see a post like this....

Ive been lucky enough to meet and talk to Brian a quite a few times , and every single time he was as nice as can be. He always made a point to come up and talk to me at any show ive been at, and Ive always greatly appreciated it.

Ohh at that Surfing benefit show.. I was all bummed out. It was my Birthday, My husband (at the time) didn't want to go and to top it off totally forgot my birthday. After the show started I was in a much better mood... It was one of the best shows ive ever seen!! Right after the show Brian handed me his guitar pick and said "Happy Birthday, Mandi" and gave me a kiss on the cheek, Just that one tiny little gesture is something ill treasure for the rest of my life.

~Mandi
Back to top Go down
http://www.hoodoovoodoolounge.com
Kelley

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 pm

no wonder he is your ex, mandi, lol
*sorry shouldn't have said that, impulse* Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

When I met Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: When I met Brian   When I met Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When I met Brian
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next