Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.

Go down 
+7
Cristo
eightball
Brett
Twenty Flight Rick
Rickabilly
nietsk
MEMPHISSUN
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Empty
PostSubject: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:20 pm

EDDIE COCHRAN - SOMETHIN' ELSE (available February 10, 2009)

(8 CD BOXSET with 192 page hardback book. 260 Tracks, All vocal recordings by Eddie Cochran, whether as a solo artist or member of the Cochran Brothers, including his timeless hits, some out-takes are also included!ยท A killer selection from Eddie's instrumental and experimental recordings! Demos, live recordings, and interviews! A selection of Eddie's work as a session guitarist for Skeets McDonald, Wynn Stewart, Ray Stanley, Lee Denson, Gene Vincent, Bob Luman and Johnny Burnette. An incredible hardcover book with many rare photos, hundreds of label and cover reproductions and a newly researched biography by Stuart Colman, and a discography by Antoon van Olderen with Stuart Colman, Russ Wapensky, and Richard Weize.

- All vocal recordings by Eddie Cochran, whether as a solo artist or member of the Cochran Brothers, including his timeless hits, Twenty Flight Rock, Sittin' In The Balcony, Summertime Blues, C'mon Everybody, Three Steps To Heaven, Cherished Memories, Cut Across Shorty, and Somethin' Else!
- Some out-takes are also included!
- A killer selection from Eddie's instrumental and experimental recordings!
- Demos, live recordings, and interviews!
- A selection of Eddie's work as a session guitarist for Skeets McDonald, Wynn Stewart, Ray Stanley, Lee Denson, Gene Vincent, Bob Luman and Johnny Burnette.
- An incredible hardcover book with many rare photos, hundreds of label and cover reproductions and a newly researched biography by Stuart Colman, and a discography by Antoon van Olderen with Stuart Colman, Russ Wapensky, and Richard Weize.

Track listing:

CD 1: Gamblers Guitar - Candy Kisses - Hearts Of Stone - Steelin' The Blues - She Done Give Her Heart To Me - Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young - Rockin' And Flyin'(version 1) (The Cochran Brothers) - Mr. Fiddle (The Cochran Brothers) - Two Blue Singing Stars (The Cochran Brothers) - Guilty Conscience (The Cochran Brothers) - Your Tomorrows Never Come (The Cochran Brothers) - Latch On (version 1) (vocal: Hank Cochran)- My Love To Remember (version 1) - Heart Of A Fool (vocal: Jerry Capehart) - Latch On (version 2) (The Cochran Brothers) - Yesterdays Heartbreak - Pink-Peg Slacks (version 1) - Tired And Sleepy (The Cochran Brothers) - Fools Paradise (The Cochran Brothers) - Slow Down (The Cochran Brothers) - Open The Door (The Cochran Brothers) - I'm Ready (vocal: Hank Cochran) - Dark Lonely Street (version1, take 6) - Blue Suede Shoes - Long Tall Sally - Thats My Desire - I Almost Lost My Mind - Twenty Flight Rock (version 1) - Completely Sweet (version 1) - My Love To Remember (version 2, take 3)- Dark Lonely Street (version 2) - Pink-Peg Slacks (version 2) - Half Loved (version 1) - My Love To Remember (version 3, take 9) - Latch On (version 3) (vocal: Jerry Capehart)

CD 2: Skinny Jim - Half loved (version 2, take 5) - Jungle Gingle (instrumental) - Guitar Blues (instrumental) - Mighty Mean (demo)- Cotton Picker - Sittin' In The Balcony - Mean When I'm Mad - One Kiss - Am I Blue -Cradle Baby - Drive In Show - Proud Of You - Undying love - Have I Told You Lately... - I'm Alone Because I Love You - Completely Sweet (version 2) - Twenty Flight Rock (version 2) - Stockin's And Shoes - Lovin Time - Tell Me why - Never - Sweetie Pie - Pocket Full Of Hearts - Pretty Girl - Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie - Little Lou - Theresa - Teenage Cutie - Summertime Blues - Ah, Pretty Girl (single version with overdubbed guitar solo)- Lonely - Love Again - Meet Mr Tweedy (instrumental) - Nervous Breakdown (version 1)

CD 3: One Minute To One - Cruisin' The Drive-In - Nervous Breakdown (version 2)- Lets Get Together - Dont Ever Let Me Go - C'mon Everybody (single version speeded up)- I've Waited So Long - Teenage Heaven (movie version) - I Remember - My Way - Rock'n' Roll Blues - Teenage Heaven (version 2) - Three Stars - Weekend - Think Of Me (UK single 'erase' version) - Three Steps To Heaven (version 1, take 9)- Somethin' Else - Boll Weevil Song (take 1, speeded up) - Guybo (instrumental/LP version) - Eddies Blues (instrumental) - Milk Cow Blues (take 3) - Chicken Shot Blues (instrumental) - Strollin' Guitar (instrumental) - My Love To Remember (version 5, take 10) - Little Angel (take 10 with chorus overdub) - Hallelujah! I Love Her So (take 11 with strings) - Hammy Blues (instrumental) - Jam Sand-Witch (instrumental) - Jelly Bean (take 10) - Don't Bye Bye Baby Me (with Train and handclap overdub) - Song Of new Orleans (instrumental) - Three Steps To Heaven - Cut Across Shorty (speeded up) - Cherished Memories

CD 4: Summertime Blues (UK single release without echo) - C'mon Everybody (correct speed/without guitar overdub) - Somethin' Else (take 14, no fade version) - Think Of Me ('stop' version) - Ah, Pretty Girl (LP version/alternate chorus and vocal) - Pretty Girl (UK single version, clipped intro/compressed) - Nervous Breakdown (no overdubs) - Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me (take 4, with handclaps) - Cut Across Shorty (correct speed) - Hallelujah! I Love Her So (without strings) - Little Angel (take 10 without overdubs) - Boll Weevil Song (correct speed) -Skinny Jim (piano overdub) - Half Loved (piano overdub) - Pink-Peg Slacks (overdubbed version) - Think Of Me (LP 'stop' version/overdubbed with celeste) - Blue Suede Shoes (overdubbed version) - Long Tall Sally (overdubbed version) - That's My Desire (overdubbed version) - I Almost Lost My Mind (overdubbed version) - Love Again (overdubbed version) - Lonely (overdubbed version) - Little Angel (take 10 with overdubs) - Think Of Me (alt. version with female chorus)

CD 5: Cherished Memories (take 6, stereo) - Three Steps To Heaven (version 2, take 5, stereo).- Cut Across Shorty (take 11, stereo) - Cherished Memories (take 14, stereo) - Pretty Girl (2-track version) - I've Waited So Long (stereo) - Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie (without guitar overdub, stereo) - Ah, Pretty Girl (with overdubbed guitar solo, stereo) - Little Angel (take 10 with chorus overdub, stereo) - Hallelujah! I Love Her So (stereo) - Little Angel (take 10 with strings overdub, stereo) - Weekend (take 13A, stereo) -Pretty Girl (3-track version, alternate vocal overdub) FREEMAN HOVER INTERVIEWS RECORDED 2ND NOVEMBER 1957, ALBANY HOTEL, DENVER, CO: Eddie's LA 'Big Sound' Radio promo - Interview with Eddie Cochran Pt. 1 - Interview with Eddie Cochran Pt. 2 - Interview with Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison - Eddie Cochran & Connie 'Guybo' Smith - Freeman introduces Eddie's KCSR radio promo - AMPOL RADIO SHOW - TRANSMISSION 11TH OCT 1957, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA : Compere Jack Davey interviews Eddie Cochran - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Compere Jack Davey interviews Eddie Cochran - STUDIO PARTY TV SHOW, EABD-TV CHANNEL 5 BROADCAST LATE 1957: Introduction by Herb Sheldon - Sittin' In The Balcony (live) - Twenty-Flight Rock (live)

CD 6: TOWN HALL PARTY TV SHOW-TRANSMISSION FEBRUARY 7, 1959: Introduction by Jay Stewart - Instrumental (by the band) - Dick D'Agostin welcomes Eddie to the show - C'mon Everybody - Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Don't Blame It On Me - Summertime Blues - Johnny Bond interviews Eddie & band members - Introduction by Jay Stewart (2nd performance) - Night Walk (instrumental by the band) - Dick D'Agostin welcomes Eddie back to the show - School Day - Be Honest With Me - Money Honey - C'mon Everybody - BOY MEETS GIRLS TV SHOW - TRANSMISSION JANUARY 16T, 1960: Introduction by Marty Wilde - Hallelujah! I Love Her So - C'mon Everybody - Somethin' Else - Interview with Eddie Cochran - Twenty-Flight Rock - BOY MEETS GIRLS TV SHOW - TRANSMISSION JANUARY 23, 1960: Introduction by Marty Wilde - Money Honey - Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Hallelujah! I Love Her So - Closing Announcement - BOY MEETS GIRLS TV SHOW - TRANSMISSION FEBRUARY 20, 1960: Summertime Blues - Milk Cow Blues - BOY MEETS GIRLS TV SHOW - TRANSMISSION FEBRUARY 27, 1960: Introduction & interview with Eddie Cochran - I Don't Like You No More - Sweet Little Sixteen - Introduction by Marty Wilde - White Lightnin' (with Gene Vincent) - SATURDAY CLUB RADIO SHOW - TRANSMISSION MARCH 5, 1960: Theme & introduction - Interview with two of Eddie's fans - Somethin' Else - Hallelujah! I Love Her So - Twenty-Flight Rock - C'mon Everybody - SATURDAY CLUB RADIO SHOW - TRANSMISSION MARCH 12, 1960: My Heart (vocal: Gene Vincent) - What'd I Say - Interview - Milk Cow Blues

CD 7: SKEETS McDONALD You Oughta See Grandma Rock- Heartbreakin' Mama WYNN STEWART The Keeper Of The Key - Slowly But Surely TOM FORSE They Call You A Small Fry BO DAVIS Let's Coast Awhile - Drowning All My Sorrows JACK LEWIS I.O.U. - Tood-A-Loo RAY STANLEY Over A Coke - My Lovin' Baby THE HOLLY TWINS I Want Elvis For Christmas BOB DENTON Sick And Tired - Pretty Little Devil - Thinkin' About You LEE DENSON New Shoes AL CASEY Willa Mae GENE VINCENT Git It TROYCE KEY Baby Please Don't Go - Watch Your Mouth BOB LUMAN Guitar Picker THE FOUR DOTS Don't Wake Up The Kids - If I Were Dying - Bread Fred JOHNNY BURNETTE Me And The Bear BAKER KNIGHT Just Relax DARRY WEAVER Itty Bitty Betty THE CAST OF BOY MEETS GIRLS TV SHOW My Babe

CD 8: Teenage Cutie (take 1, false start) - Teenage Cutie (take 2) - Teenage Cutie (take 3, break-up) - Teenage Cutie (take 4) - Dark Lonely Street (take 1) - Dark Lonely Street (take 2) - Dark Lonely Street (take 3) - Dark Lonely Street (take 4, false start) - Dark Lonely Street (take 5) - My Love To Remember (version 2, take 2) - My Love To Remember (version 3, take 5) - My Love To Remember (version 3, take 6, false start) - My Love To Remember (version 3, take 7) - My Love To Remember (version 4) - Half Loved (version 2, take 2) - Half Loved (version 2, take 3, false start) - Half Loved (version 2, take 4) - Milk Cow Blues (rehearsal) - Milk Cow Blues (take 1) - Milk Cow Blues (take 2, false start) - Little Angel (take 1) - Little Angel (take 3) - Little Angel (take 5, false start) - Little Angel (take 6, false start) - Little Angel (take 9) - My Love To Remember (version 5, take 1) - My Love To Remember (version 5, take 2) - My Love To Remember (version 5, take 3) - Jelly Bean (take 1) - Jelly Bean (take 2, false start) - Jelly Bean (take 3) - Jelly Bean (take 4, false start) - Jelly Bean (take 5) - Jelly Bean (take 8, long false start) - Jelly Bean (take 9, false start) - Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me (take 1) - Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me (take 2, false start) - Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me (take 3) - Don't Bye, Bye Baby Me (take 4)

source: Bear Family
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm

wow!! How cool is this... Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

There is a lot of stuff missing from this set ie,

the instrumentals - PUSHIN', SCRATCHIN' & THE FOURTH MAN THEME all come straight to mind. The first two recordings were flipsides on other artist records and have both been released on Rockstar. There is many other tracks missing too. Shame they didn't get everything together and put out maybe a 12 CD set.

It's taken them long enough to release it.

But the SOUND "Q" will be the winner = BEAR FAMILY!.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:00 pm

I wonder what the price tag will be. About a year ago, Bear Family raised the prices almost 40% on some of their sets. 8 CD sets used to run about $140 US, although there were plenty of re-sellers who tried to get more than that. I expect this one'll weigh in at $200+.

Recession-billy
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm

I would guess the price point at $140 or even less, given the recession. Anything over that and they won't move any boxes.

Recession Rick
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:31 pm

The thing is, Bear Family does the highest-quality work for the collector's market, offering lavish sets covering artists rarely compiled, often including their complete recorded ouput, including outtakes. Their primary focus is vintage country, covering cats like Webb Pierce, Carl Smith, Bob Wills, Lefty Frizzell, Sheb Wooley, Bill Monroe, The Sons of the Pioneers, and hundreds of others. I mean, where else are ya gonna find 1 disc of the great Wynn Stewart, let alone 10 discs? More popular artists such as Johnny Cash get the royal treatment, with several multi-disc sets bringing fans his 50s and 60s recordings. They also dabble in R&B, Boogie Woogie, Rockabilly, and other under-served markets. It's impossible to pigeon-hole what they release.

Thanks to the Bear Family, I have nearly everything Carl Perkins recorded up through the 1970s, the complete Jerry Lee Lewis on Sun, Bill Haley's Decca recordings, 9 discs of Louis Jordan, the complete Capitol recordings of Louis Prima, Sam Butera, and Keely Smith, and sets from sorely under-represented artists like the Collins Kids, Julia Lee and Ella-n-Buddy Johnson. And not just their greatest hits - their complete recorded output for their major and occasionally some minor labels. Their Complete Sun Singles collection - 6 4-disc sets (it might be more than 6 volumes) is among their finest various artists collections. Even 15 years ago, a 5-disc set from Bear Family would set you back $100. But you'd gladly pay it to get beyond a single-disc greatest hits package of your favorite artists, landing every A-side, B-side, and album cut.

Not every artist has 5 to 10 discs worth of material. Some, like the Johnny Burnette Rock-n-Roll Trio, only had about 30 sides. Bear Family had their first complete single-disc compilation nearly two decades ago. Later, a 9-CD set would cover that material plus the rest of Johnny Burnette's career, including demos Dorsey Burnette recorded for other Imperial artists, including Rick Nelson. Sid King, Lew Williams, and Billy Lee Riley are just a few mighty fine artists represented on single-disc offerings from Bear. Nobody else was doin' this, so these rarities would fetch $19-$25 for a single disc! And people paid it and said "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

And it's not just the amazing re-mastering they do, or the completeness of the collection. The books are presented in a large LP-sized package, with amazing photos, fantastic notes, and the most complete sessionography you'll find anywhere. The coffee-table hardcover book chronicling the Beatles' recording sessions with Tony Sheridan was worth the hefty price tag that came with the single CD. Try putting that in a "digital booklet." They know they're serving a niche market, one not in competition with bootleggers or major labels. And they know music geeks have misplaced financial priorities when it comes to their musical passions, so they capitalize on it. For decades, it has been what the market will "bear."

With the weak dollar last couple of years, the German-based label raised their prices to even higher-than-usual levels. Despite the tough economic times in the US, the dollar has rebounded a bit overseas. We'll see if their pricing reflects that with this Eddie Cochran set. Eddie's a little unusual in that a wonderful UK label, Rockstar, has served Eddie fans over the years, issuing Cochran treasures 1 disc (and occasionally two discs) at a time. Unfortunately, their collections overlap a bit, and the releases are scattered chronologically, making it a bit frustrating on the collector. Still, Rockstar did a pretty good job representing Eddie's recorded output.

I suspect Bear Family will do what they did with Gene Vincent a couple of years ago: release a larger set of the complete commercially released stuff, and then offer up a rarities or outtakes set a year later. I think they're pushing the affordability mark with an 8-disc set. But if it sells well, expect a 2 or 3-disc set in the next year or two. They dug up 3-discs' worth of alternate takes from Johnny Cash's Sun Sessions, and it became wildly popular with their customers.

Look around several outlets before buying a Bear Family set. I've seen the same sets that sell for $250 on cduniverse (a great sight for domestic US releases, but rather atrocious on their imports) sell for about half that elsewhere.

As much as I hate these economic times, I hope it causes a little price correction with the Bear Family.

John Maynard Keynes-a-billy
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 am

Two companys in the UK,have the box for =

ยฃ140

&

ยฃ145

With the pound been in a poor state,would also like to know what the $$$ will be.

Box will be out on the 10th of this month,so not long to find out!.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 am

Crikey! That's $201.68 US!!!

I'll have to wait a while for that one.

Not Richabilly
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 am

I'm tellin' ya! They are going to have to drop the price if they intend to sell any here in US. That was an awesome post Rick. It sounds like Bear Family releases are a real treat for collectors. I would be interested in a single disc greatest hits for Cochran, preferably digitally remastered. Do you have any recommendations?

Rick
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:30 am

Hi,

Bear provides a lot of Eddie records:
Eddie on Bear

Also very good is this CD, 30 songs, not only the all-time-Burnette-Favorites, great booklet in english with stories and a bunch of information.

Johnny rocks at bear

I love bear, my bank account do not...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:43 am

Their shop distributes a lot of Eddie, but only the new box set and the Town Hall Party DVD are actually released on the Bear Family label. Most of the rest of those are Rockstar Records releases. I own about 90% of the Eddie releases listed on that link. If you're not in Europe, I would try to track those down somewhere other than the Bear Family store.

The 32-track "Somethin' Else" is probably the best single-disc release, although there's not really any noteworthy remastering. You can find it used on Amazon and occasionally on eBay rather cheap. For the best remastering, I like "Portrait of a Legend." It's not a "hits" collection per se, but the sound quality is amazing. There's undubbed, unfaded renditions of songs like "Summertime Blues" and "Somethin' Else." And one of my favorite Eddie tracks, usually missing from the hits, "Pretty Girl" (not to be confused with "Ah, Pretty Girl") makes this essential listening. You need to equip yourself with the hits before digging that deep, though.

Somethin' Else-a-billy
Back to top Go down
eightball

eightball

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:25 am

i guess anything by bear family is quality - they put a lot of work into their releases...
ยฃ140 is a lot for a boxset... but just think how long it will take to get bored of it(about a year? - how many cd's would you buy in that time!)... i love boxsets - you can immerse yourself in the artist's work... i already have a cochran boxset ("guitar picker") but i'd love to hear this stuff too... i'll be keeping an eye out for it on amazon!
Back to top Go down
http://eight8all.blogspot.com/
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:34 pm

When they started putting in the box sets,Hard Back Books,that the price went up!.

Good vaule...if your right in to EC of course!.
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 pm

MEMPHISSUN or Rickabilly (or anyone else), do either of you gents happen to know where I can pick up/order this?

At a couple hondo, kinda steep, but I just got my tax refund back, been lookin' for something special to blow it on.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Bear Family's prices were quite reasonable (or less insane) for the first two years or so that they had hardback books, then their entire inventory shot up at the end of 2006. Most of the reasonably-priced US re-sellers stopped stocking their products after that.

It seems as of right now, the link Brett posted (for the Bear Family website) is the only place to get it at the moment. I've seen US sellers, pricing it at $240+, list March 24th as their instock date. Stay tuned. If I find it anywhere for a better price sooner, I'll let you know. The good news in the short term is that a lot of people appear to be unloading their Eddie CDs and EMI boxsets on eBay in anticipation of purchasing this highly-anticipated new set, which has been at least 3 years in the making.

Fool and his money-billy
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Thank you kindly, Sir! Ears to the ground.

CHEERS!
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 4:58 am

CD WOLF was my fav on line site from the States,who sold Bear Family.

But they had a row over the prices going up,and now sell stuff from the UK ACE label (Ebay).
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 3:40 pm

About 10 years ago I picked up "Eddie Cochran: Legendary Masters Series Volume 1" in a bargain store for $5! Cover unfolds into a large news/magazine style page giving details of these recordings and their chart history.
Only 20 tracks but all the important ones IMO are there.

I suspect it was originally released as a double vinyl disc.

Eddie Cochran, Legendary Masters
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 am

That was one of the best for sound!.

Just a pity they took studio chat and put it in front of song"s that were not matched up.

There was other singers on the LM series...Gene Vincent,Ricky Nelson had 2 vol"s!.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:18 pm

The new Eddie Cochran set is available NOW in the US. I just picked it up from Collector's Choice Music. Collector's Choice Music has been a favorite mail order music seller of mine for nearly 20 years. They were the ones who first hipped me to the glorious re-issue label that is Bear Family Records. They aren't always the best price, but they have a great selection of hard-to-find re-issues. And I love the layout of their website. Most music store sites are consumer-driven, that is to say, the consumer has to know what they're looking for in order to open a limited search. Collector's Choice follows their popular catalog design on their website, giving exposure to a wide variety of products, directing your attention to stuff you didn't even know you wanted. It's a very dangerous website for impulse shoppers like me.

Anyway, they have all their stock 20% off until March 20th. Unfortunately, that means their normal price for the Eddie Cochran set is $250.00. However, right now you can get it for $199.98. Yeah, I know. It's mighty steep, especially for someone like me who already owns more than 90% of the 260 tracks provided here. But the majority of these songs have been remastered to sound better than they ever have. And they're arranged, for the most part, in chronological order by recording date. (The main exception being the tracks Eddie contributed for other artists, which are compiled separately on Disc 7.) The crown jewel in the collection is, of course, the LP-Sized, 192-page full color hardbound book. A coffee-table book of fantastic photos, essays, liner notes, and complete sessionography might sell easily for $50 on its own. But this one-of-a-kind collection compiles every vocal recording by Eddie Cochran, including those with the Cochran Brothers, plus most of the significant instrumentals (despite the glaring omissions of the Third Man Theme and Drum City), plus demos, live recordings (including the final 1960 shows with Joe Brown and Billy Fury) and interviews (including the famous Freeman Hover interviews with Eddie and Buddy Holly.) The final disc is a collection of recording sessions, featuring multiple takes of several songs, showing a very candid side of Eddie.

Sure, it doesn't have absolutely everything. But if you only have a couple of Cochran discs in your library, then this should tide you over for several years. I still can't get over how amazing the book is. Roughly 80 of the 192 pages show record sleeves and labels from all over the world, (mostly to fill out the sessionography pages) which may only be fascinating to rabid record collectors. But most of the photos are large and stunning. It definitely lives up to the extraordinarily high Bear Family standards, and will be a prized part of my collection.

Wow! It's Somethin' Else-a-billy
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 9:23 am

At least these are missing, so it's not complete. They should have added some of these instead of false starts etc. On some cuts EC is as a musician.

Fourth Man Theme Eddie Cochran
String Fever Eddie Cochran
Instrumental Blues Eddie Cochran
Nice 'n' Easy Eddie Cochran
Have An Apple Dearie Eddie Cochran
Rain Eddie Cochran
Cotton Picker (movie version) Eddie Cochran
Shotgun Wedding Theme Eddie Cochran
Country Jam Eddie Cochran
Guybo (version 2) a.k.a. "Drum City" Eddie Cochran
C'mon Everybody from 'Parade of Pops'
Hallelujah! I Love Her So (short clip) from Feb 20, 1960
Twenty Flight Rock (short clip) from Feb 20, 1960

Jelly Bean The Tigers
Don't Bye Bye Baby Me The Tigers

Drown In My Tears Troyce Key

Fast Jivin' (EP version) Ernie Freeman Combo
Fast Jivin' (complete take)

Country Rockin' & Flyin' Buddy Dee

Quick Like Elroy Peace & The Bow Ribbons

Did You Ever The Kelly Four
So Fine, Be Mine The Kelly Four
Annie Has A Party The Kelly Four

Pushin' Ray Stanley
Love Charms Ray Stanley
Equator Ray Stanley
Half Loved Ray Stanley
Kiss & Make Up Ray Stanley
Let's Get Acquainted (demo) Ray Stanley (unissued)
Common Sense (demo) Ray Stanley (unissued)

I Wanna Know Eddie Daniels takes 1-8
Uh Oh Little Girl Eddie Daniels takes 1-7
Doing The Hully Gully Jewel Akens & EddieDaniels
Opportunity Jewel Akens & Eddie Daniels
Who Can I Count On Jewel Akens & Eddie Daniels

Someone To Love Me Jack Lewis
Butterscotch Candy & Strawberry Pie Jack Lewis

Show Down Loy Clingman

Scratchin' Jerry Neal
I Hates Rabbits Jerry Neal
Walkin' Stick Boogie Jerry Capehart
Rollin' Jerry Capehart
That's What It Takes To Make A Man Jerry Capehart
This Must Be The Place Jerry Capehart
Livin' This Life Jerry Capehart
Too Often Jerry Capehart
Closer, Closer, Closer Jerry Capehart & The Cochran Brothers
My Honest Name Jerry Capehart (unissued)

Lovin' I'm Wastin' Darry Weaver
Bad Baby Doll Lovin' Darry Weaver
- some other unissued home recordings exist?

Ballad Of The One Eyed Jacks Johnny Burnette
Just Keep On Going Johnny Burnette
Blue School Days Johnny Burnette
Just A Memory Johnny Burnette
You're Cheatin' On Me Johnny Burnette
Remember Johnny Burnette (unissued & lost?)
Dutchman's Gold Johnny Burnette (unissued & lost?)
The Table Johnny Burnette (unissued & lost?)

A Healer Like Time Hank Cochran

How'dja Do Sherman Scott

Sarah Lee Bob Orrison

It Happened To Me Buddy Lowe (2 versions)

Should I Mike Clifford with Patience & Prudence
I'm Afraid To Say I Love You Mike Clifford

Spilled Milk Jay Johnston
Walk A Dog Jay Johnston

The Willies Barry Martin
Minnie The Moocher Barry Martin

I Can't Let You Go John Ashley
Born To Rock John Ashley
Don't Let Them Tear Us Apart John Ashley
Mean Mean Woman John Ashley
Annie Laurie John Ashley
Hit And Run Lover John Ashley
Seriously In Love John Ashley & Voices of Allah (=The Four Dots)
I Want To Hear It From You John Ashley & Voices of Allah (=The Four
Dots)

Take My Hand (I'm Lonely) The Four Dots takes 1-9
Fontella The Four Dots takes 1-6
Fontella The Four Dots version 2 takes 1-7
It's Heaven The Four Dots takes 1-3
My Baby She Loves Me The Four Dots takes 1-14
Once More The Four Dots takes 1-17
Hide And Go Seek The Four Dots takes 1-6
Pleading For Your Love The Four Dots

Teenage Partner Gene Vincent
Peace Of Mind Gene Vincent
Lovely Loretta Gene Vincent
Somebody Help Me Gene Vincent
Five Feet Of Lovin' (version 2) Gene Vincent
The Wayward Wind Gene Vincent
Now Is The Hour Gene Vincent
Say Mama (live) Gene Vincent
Summertime (live) Gene Vincent
Be-Bop-A-Lula (live) Gene Vincent
Rocky Road Blues (live) Gene Vincent
Wildcat (live) Gene Vincent
My Heart (live) Gene Vincent
Dance In The Street (live) Gene Vincent

Cryin' In One Eye Don Deal
Broken-Hearted Feller Don Deal
Don't Push Don Deal
My Blind Date Don Deal
The High Sign Don Deal
Down The Road To Nowhere Don Deal
It Could Only Be Wrong Don Deal
Love Me Sweetheart Don Deal
Let's Get It Over Right Now Don Deal
I Don't Want To But I Do Don Deal
When You Hear A Saviour Call Don Deal
Don't Ask Me Why Don Deal

Down Down Down Hank Hammer
Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Hank Hammer
Mountains And Mountains Of Lies Hank Hammer
I Wouldn't Take A Million For Your Love Hank Hammer

I'm Gonna Tell Your Conscience On You Tom Forse

Someone To Love Me Paula Morgan
I Hang My Head And Cry Paula Morgan
Only A Fool Paula Morgan

What Ya Gonna Do Galen Denny
Gonna Build A Rocket Galen Denny

Salamander Mamie van Doren
Go Go Calypso Mamie van Doren
Oo Ba La Baby Mamie van Doren
Rollin' Stone Mamie van Doren

On My Mind Again Bob Denton
Always Late Bob Denton
24-Hour Night Bob Denton
Love Me So I'll Know (45 version) Bob Denton
I'm Sending You This Record (45 version) Bob Denton
I'm Sending You This Record (stereo version) Bob Denton
Love Me So I'll Know (without overdubs) Bob Denton
I'm Sending You This Record (without overdubs)Bob Denton
That's Alright Mama Bob Denton
It's Nothing To Me Bob Denton (Dot unissued)
Your Love Dorsey Burnette
Lonely Train Dorsey Burnette
Way In The Middle Of The Night Dorsey Burnette
Misery Dorsey Burnette

The Tender Age Holly Twins

Honey Honey Darla Daret

I'm Confessin' June Cochran
I Dream Of You June Cochran

Ting-A-Ling Telephone Yvonne Lime

Big Door Gene Brown

Borrowed Love Lynn Marshall (2 versions)
You'll Find Out Lynn Marshall (2 versions)

Every Dog Has His Day - Jess Willard
Don't Hold Her So Close - Jess Willard

Meet Me At Joes - Riley Crabtree
Don't Turn Away From Me - Riley Crabtree

Pistol Packin' Mama - Al Dexter
I Won't Be Number Two - Al Dexter

Love's Dream Larry O'Keefe
Ain't-A That Something Larry O'Keefe

He's Graduating Carol Palmer

A Million Teardrops Billy Beasley / John T. Webster, III & Anna

High Hopes Sharon Sheeley & Eddie Cochran

Beaulah Lee Jody Reynolds

Go Out And Buy Yourself A Hat The Huskies

Lipstick The Playthings
Sittin' The Playthings

One Sweet Tomorrow Al Perkins Lee (unissued)

Farewell, My Bluebell Gary Williams
Dallas County Jail BLues (v 1) Gary Williams
T.B. Blues Instrumental Gary Williams
Dallas County Jail Blues (v 2) Gary Williams
Dobro Breaks Instrumental Gary Williams

Boogie Woogie Breakdown Gary Lambert
Tea For Two Gary Lambert
Dixie Gary Lambert
Jersey Bounce Gary Lambert
T.D.'s Boogie Gary Lambert
Rock Around The Clock Gary Lambert
Memphis Blues Gary Lambert
Rock-A-Bye Boogie Gary Lambert
Elmer's Tune Gary Lambert
Bye Bye Blues Gary Lambert
Steel Guitar Rag Gary Lambert
High Rocking Swing Gary Lambert
St. Louis Blues Gary Lambert
Jazz Me Blues Gary Lambert
Wabash Blues Gary Lambert
Birth Of The Blues Gary Lambert
Til I Waltz Again With You Gary Lambert
Blue Steel Blues Gary Lambert
Panhandle Rag Gary Lambert
Gary's Tune Gary Lambert
Guitar Boogie in High Gary Lambert (unissued)
+ 18 other instrumentals

Patent Pending Austin Brothers?
Pedal-Pushin' Baby Austin Brothers?

Little Angel - unidentified singer (Dick Banks?)

Remington Ride Eddie Cochran & Carl West

Rockin' It - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Jammin' With Jimmy - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Tenderly - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Two Of A Kind - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Stardust - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Chuck & Eddie's Boogie - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
In The Mood - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
I'll See You In My Dreams - Instrum. - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Cannonball Rag - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran & Chuck Foreman
Blue Gypsy - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran
The Poor People Of Paris - Instrum. - Eddie Cochran
Water Baby Blues (short riff) - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran
Stardust (backing track) - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran
Two Of A Kind (backing track) - Instrumental - Eddie Cochran
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 am

I never said it was complete. But would you want an additional 4 discs and a $300+ price tag, especially when the majority of the remaining tunes were tracks on which Eddie was just a session guitarist? Bear Family has already released lavish box sets for Gene Vincent and Johnny Burnette that included some of these missing tracks. With Gene Vincent, they faced a similar problem where they would have to exceed 10 discs to get everything, so they put out a massive collection of all master takes on all the various labels, and then released a smaller set of rarities the following year. And on this Cochran set, they've included one disc of session work as an example, plus nearly all his live recordings where he was the lead artist, choosing to skip those incomplete snippets from Feb 20 1960. Maybe a smaller 3-4 disc set of session work and instrumentals is awaiting a future release.

What I like about owning this set is that it doesn't make all the other Rockstar Records (the keepers of the Cochran flame for more than 20 years) purchases I've made over the years completely obsolete. Plus, I wonder if the Rockstar folks, who worked on this set, wanted to keep some of their other releases worth buying by holding back some of the instrumentals and session work. Rockstar recently released the Gene and Eddie BBC shows together on two different single-disc compilations within the past few years, so that stuff is out there, and not thus not in danger of being rendered obsolete by this collection.

Unlike Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins, Eddie doesn't quite have enough material to cover 3 or more lavish box sets, but maybe just enough for a set and a half. I think Bear Family made a judicious selection of tracks, although I would have loved to have the instrumentals covered in a ninth disc. I suppose if they did that, all that would be left is outtakes and Eddie's session work, and they probably need a fair amount of recordings with Eddie in the lead to sell a set heavily-laden with other artists' songs.

Bear-a-billy
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 am

Have you read the Don't forget me-book about EC? Interesting book but I'm sure there must be better one or at least I hope so.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm

I liked the Don't Forget Me book, by Julie Mundy and Darrel Higham, but I agree that it could have been a little more comprehensive, like John Goldrosen's Remembering Buddy book that remains THE definitive overview of Buddy Holly's life, with discographies, photos, etc.

Alan Clark put out this amazing scrapbook about 10-15 years ago, Eddie Cochran: The Legend Continues, that is chock full of photographs, letters, newspaper articles, memorabilia. It is one of my favorite books on Eddie Cochran. There's not a lot of written content, but I lose myself in this book from time to time.

Bobby Cochran, Eddie's nephew, provided an interesting point of view on his uncle with Three Steps to Heaven: The Eddie Cochran Story. He co-authored it with Susan Van Hecke, who wrote a pretty good bio on Gene Vincent, called Race With the Devil. This book suffers a bit in that it spends a lot of time on the Bobby Cochran story, which is certainly interesting, but I wanted to read more about Eddie.

Still another good read is a book about both Gene-n-Eddie, specifically, their last tour of the UK in 1960. Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran: Rock and Roll Revolutionaries is a fascinating read of what the rock-n-roll scene was like in the UK during the crossroads of the rockin' 50s and swingin' 60s.

I guess Eddie Cochran books are like the Eddie Cochran CD collections: Owning just one won't do. You owe it to yourself to get several of them to get a more complete picture. This latest box set is definitely a good place to start.

Bookworm-a-billy
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Totally agreed, you must own several ones and I hope the best one is still coming out someday.

Gene & Eddie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.   NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW...Eddie Cochran Box Set.Bear Family!.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next