Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88

Go down 
+3
Kid Setzer
Andi
RadiationSteve
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Empty
PostSubject: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:36 pm

The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 51fAxM9rKwL._SL500_AA280_

As there seems to be some interest in this record, i thought we could discuss what's on it, what should have been on it (Any Setzer tracks between 81 and 88 that YOU think should be on there).....and of course the songs which shouldn't be on a Setzer collection like this.....Namely 'The Rain Washed Everything Away'!
If you're going to choose a track from the brilliant 'Live Nude Guitars'.....Why on earth would they pick that one?

Track List for THE BRIAN SETZER COLLECTION '81 - '88

1. (she's) Sexy and 17
Can't argue with that being on here.....can we?

2. Rock This Town
Another Stray Cats classic
But what's this - Only FIVE Cats tracks on a Setzer Collection within those dates?!

3. Summertime Blues (studio Outtake)
Not the best version but pretty fine - heavier and a little slower.

4. The Knife Feels Like Justice
Seem version as on KFLJ......BUT (A BIG BUT) - better production (clearer, cleaner and heavier than before!) I feel that anyone who has heard the 'Knife' album would be surprised that this track (and 'Bobby's Back' and 'Boulevard' and 'Chains' are MUCH better quality on this record than on KFLJ.....Even though they are same versions. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this and agrees with me...

5. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Not sure i'd have this one on here. Too much like 'Knife'.
Perhaps someone can suggest a Stray Cats number that would fit in after KFLJ...
It could be an earlier track if you like.
What they have done here is in year order (but we don't have to!)

6. Echo Park (studio Outtake)
Hidden gem

7. When The Sky Comes Tumblin' Down.
Again this is the same as Live Nude Guitars version but sounds louder, heavier....and better! Are all these KFLJ and LNG tracks remastered or something?

8. Cross Of Love
(B. side of Sky Comes Tumblin' Down) And by far the best version of this song!

9. Every Tear That Falls
Well i know it's Gloria's favourite but i can't help thinking this could have been changed to 'Rebeline'.

10. Thing About You
(as i said before - This is the best take of this song as well)

11. Waitin' For Desiree (Studio Outtake)
(as discussed earlier - Why wasn't this one 'Knife' OR 'Nude'?

12. Bobby's Back
(See track 4 for details!)
I would have placed another Stray CAts one on here instead. (Any ideas welcome!)

13. Keep Your Lovin' Strong
(B side to 'Boulevard of broken dreams)
Nothing special but like the following track only available on this album.
This isn't a 'Best of' cd.....and probably better for it because of these unusual tracks.

14. Living Souls
(previously Unreleased)
Good song if a little long. I think it wouldn't look out of place on the 'Let's Go Faster'
Album....but that was a 1990's record of course...this is an 80's collection.

15. The Rain Washed Everything Away
(see opening Remarks)

16. I Won't Stand In Your Way (A Cappella version)
Nice, but it won't worry the Rant n Rave Classic.

17. Runaway Boys (NBC Radio Live 12/9/82)
Great to hear Brian at the beginning say "We've just heard we've sold two million
albums......and i hope one of them is...your!"
Would have liked the original on this 80's collection too. For me you can't have tracks
'Rock This Town' and 'Sexy and 17' with out having 'Runaway Boys' Too"
AND OH MY WORD.....WHERE'S 'STRAY CAT STRUT'!!!!! No

18. Chains Around Your Heart
Again better than the KFLJ production (but same version)

Takes a deep breath....Any answers to my 20 questions? lol!
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm pretty sure this release was just a cash grab by the record company to take advantage of Setzer's popularity during the Dirty Boogie years. I think it only consists of unreleased tracks that they threw together without discussing it with Setzer or getting his okay. Completists will have it in their collection but really if someone new to Setzer's music were to buy this they'd likely be disappointed, and they wouldn't be supporting Setzer and HIS music in the least.
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Hmmm I don't know Andi - I purchased this album very early on when I first heard about Stray Cats and it didn't scare me away Razz I don't like 'Rain washed everything away' but it makes me laugh in the talking parts Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm

That's a good point Andi, and you might be right about the record company cashing in. Although i would have to say in that case why didn't they just release a 'Best of Stray Cats'? It would have been a lot easier. And a lot of thought and trouble has gone into this record. Firstly as i've said the quality of recording is better than on both of Brian's two sol releases of the time. Then there's the 'Outtakes' which are a huge bonus for fans. And as well as that a very fine 12 page booklet with pictures and drawings for each song as well as info about them.
But you're also right in saying that any new fan around the time of 'the Dirty Boogie' would be disappointed with this cd. They would expect orchestra stuff, and this is all without horns etc.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 pm

RadiationSteve wrote:
Are all these KFLJ and LNG tracks remastered or something?

Yep, here's what's on Amazon.com:

1. (She's) Sexy + 17 (Single Edit) (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Stray Cats
2. Rock This Town (Single Edit) (1999 Digital Remaster) Stray Cats
3. Summertime Blues (Studio Outtake) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Brian Setzer
4. The Knife Feels Like Justice (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
5. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
6. Echo Park (Studio Outtake) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Brian Setzer
7. When The Sky Comes Tumblin' Down (Single Edit) (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
8. Cross Of Love (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
9. Every Tear That Falls (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
10. Thing About You (Studio Outtake) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Brian Setzer
11. Waitin' For Desiree (Studio Outtake) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Brian Setzer
12. Bobby's Back (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
13. Keep Your Lovin' Strong (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
14. Living Souls (Studio Outtake) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Brian Setzer
15. The Rain Washed Everything Away (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer
16. I Won't Stand In Your Way (A Cappella Version) (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Stray Cats
17. Runaway Boys (Live) (24-Bit Mastered 99) Stray Cats
18. Chains Around Your Heart (24-Bit Remastered 99) (1999 Digital Remaster) Brian Setzer

Pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Ah, this time The Steve is really back ! And of course we are all glad of this.

As I said it many time, I am not a huge fan of the Knife era BUT (another big but) this record is a gem for any Brian Setzer's fan. Even if what Andi said is right (the record was published while the Dirty Boogie success so fans could be disappointed buying it) it's the only record with so many unrealised tracks on it. And, of course, for all of us, it's priceless. I'd like one day to see a "volume 2" with the next era (1989 - 1995) for example.

Back to the cd now. About Stray Cats, I am a little disappointed : Sexy & 17 but not Stray Cat Strut, is it serious ? Otherwise, the Runaway Boys take (live from 82 !) is a killin' one. So killin' that we can regret they did not put a live take of Rock This Town too...

But the biggest interest is about the Kinfe Feels Like Justice session.
Echo Park is track we talk about pretty often. This record made it "famous". I really like it ; it could be on the album in place of a song like Aztec in my opinion.
Thing About You is interesting : I prefer by far the Let's Go Faster version so it proves the quality of Brian's work when he record a song he has ever recorded yet.
Waitin' For Desiree, Keep Your Lovin' Strong & Living Souls are three songs really in the mood's Knife session.
Cross Of Love is a gem : first because, for a lot of us, it's the best from the three versions we know. But there is something more : for what I know, this record is the only way to have it on CD so... BUY IT !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:44 am

Andi, yes, you're right about the release of Setzer Collection. That's why many EMI & Arista compilations are not included in the bs.com Discography section and when Tommy ran the website, he made a point about it: he said that all the albums released without authorisation or permission of "Le Setz" wouldn't be included.

However, my point is that if we are fans... it's great that we support our artist, obviously but we, as fans sometimes want something different. Aren't we going not to buy a nice album with Setzer outtakes just because Setzer didn't authorised that album?? Well, then we would do the same with live recordings, bootlegs, etc...

In any case, I don't want to really change the direction of this topic and I will asnwer to your questions, Radiation!!!!

IMO, all the B-sides and outtakes that have been included, are a gem despite I think that some of them should have been either in the Knife or Live Nude. My fav song out of those "rarities" is undoubtfully, "Echo Park".

On the other hand, the songs representing Live Nude are quite "incorrect". They don't really mean that Setzer period and other songs like Rebelene, She Thinks I'm Trash or any other than Every Tear or The Rain Washed... would have made a better compilation.
When it comes to The Knife representation, I strongly believe that a couple of more songs could have been there, like Three Guys or Haunted River, but since the ones that were in the album were singles, that's fine too.

Radiation, now that we are discussin about this compilation, I think it would be a nice idea for the next days to discuss about the LGF Demos and the LGF release. What do you think, folks?
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:21 am

RadiationSteve wrote:
....Namely 'The Rain Washed Everything Away'!
If you're going to choose a track from the brilliant 'Live Nude Guitars'.....Why on earth would they pick that one?

Steve, because it's so different to all the other songs and shows the spectrum of Setzer 's writing ability. He's a maestro not only in Rockabilly...I like that song, really!

I think Andi is right. EMI/Capitol released this album to get their slice of the big "The Dirty Boogie" cake and I'm pretty much glad about it otherwise I haven't get to know a few of these brilliant songs that are on this record. Talkin' about the unreleased material. Ok, it's sad that "Le Setz" signed it all away but he did and so it's absolutely correct that the label released this album...you should read a contract before signing it. So as long as there is new or better said unknown material I'm glad about every release of Brian.

But I think there could have been more detailed information on the single tracks.
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:08 am

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Radiation, now that we are discussin about this compilation, I think it would be a nice idea for the next days to discuss about the LGF Demos and the LGF release. What do you think, folks?

I think that a grand idea! Start a thread and i'll reply Slim Jon.

I'm being carefull not to post too much because twice on here i've posted 1000
replies....and the board has gone down and Hoodoo had to completely start again from stratch! Poor Mandi. So three time lucky i hope!
I think this destruction of web sites is called 'Radiation Fever'!!!
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 am

ChooChooHotHub wrote:

But the biggest interest is about the Kinfe Feels Like Justice session.
Echo Park is track we talk about pretty often. This record made it "famous". I really like it ; it could be on the album in place of a song like Aztec in my opinion.

Yes 'Echo Park' would def fit in instead of 'Aztec' (although you'd always catch me singin' Aztec in the car!
Problem is as 'Echo Park' is remastered (Thanks Pony for info) - The whole Knife album would have to be digitally re -done too!....And if someone going to do that, then they might as well re-release ALL the Setzer Albums again (Remastered!)
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Fats

Minnesota Fats

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm

hey, man i don't have that cd but i'll tell you what. i like the cover!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88   The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Brian Setzer Collection '81 - 88
Page 1 of 1