Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this

Go down 
+2
Pistol Pete
vic
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vic

vic

Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Empty
PostSubject: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm

I really don't want to embarass the guy but I'm a bit surprised this band hasn't been reviewed on the HDVDL boards...anyone else every heard of em? Razz

Having never met Tavo in person, I really didn't know what to expect when I got the new cd "Songs of Justice". Frankly, I was figuring on something akin to some of the garage/ bar bands I've been in..4 guys drinkin beer maken some high volume noise that only they could love and their wives and/or girl friends and/or parents would politely tolerate. But I was wrong, our own Tavo's the real deal, actually has talent and makes me wonder why he's waisting his time here on the boards.

It's hard to explain what it sounds like but I hear a blend of Cash, Setzer, Buck Owens, The Rev, gospel, U2...and it all ends up sounding like Tavo. To me what really sets it apart from other indy records I've heard is that he isn't a mimic, or a tribute band; but a guy who clearly has influences and makes his own music out of it. For me, thats talent.

Probably the most unbiased critique came from my 15 year old daughter who heard it when I was playing it in the car one day. "what's this" she said, "Brian Setzer but only slower?" pretty much says it all.

Anyone else heard it? Give it a whirl.
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Hey Vic, how goes?

Yeah, I've got it as well. Great cd, pure Tavo from start to finish. I was suprised as well, I thought it'd be "heavier" for a lack of better word. Great musos definately playing their style of music.

Just waiting for the support slot for when they tour Down Under!

Cheers Pete
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 pm

I wouldn't know, I haven't got the CD Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 5:54 am

Kid,

I don't know you except for the boards, but I feel pretty safe in saying you'd like it. I downloaded it from iTunes, freaked out about it, PM'd my praises and thanks to TV, and even posted a review on iTunes.

Get it. Really.
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 6:19 am

I only know the songs from Myspace, but they are erally, really really good, especially battlehymn is very cool. They sound exactly like the mixture vic described in his post!
Very cool, Tavo!!!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 am

When the album first came out, there was a bunch of us posting about it and discussing it. I agree with all you guys...it's a fabulous album, and I'm anxiously awaiting the follow-up release!

Unfortunately, when the previous version of this board got hijacked, so did all of our discussion and praise regarding TV's fine album. Crying or Very sad

Glad to see that people are "rediscovering" the hidden gem that it is!

TV is a very talented guy, and it definitely comes across on this album. It's one of my favorites, and it doesn't leave the car.

cheers
hrg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this   Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tavo and the Flat Black Thriller...TV don't read this
Page 1 of 1