Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS

Go down 
+6
tvthewiredturtle
gretschkat57
vic
Twenty Flight Rick
Guitarmaniac
ako
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ako

ako

GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:03 pm

ako wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ako wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
ako wrote:
Guitarmaniac wrote:
What pickups has the SSU in it? I think that may be one of the reasons why the SSU is brighter, maybe it's got the stock pre-FMIC filters in it Question
I have no idea, it's just a guess...

Chris

Hi Chris and thanks for your question,

The 2000 SSU model has the original Filtertron pickups that the guitar came with and look great in Gold

hope its of help to you Chris

Kindest regards

Carl

I forgot!!! Yep! Chris That is totally why.... 100%.. I had those damn pkups in mine, supposedly "alnico setzer" pickups but the magnet was short, hardly any wax potting and screws were kinda cheap, not to mention the crappy pots,switches and thin flimsy wire harness....all to say once I put in the tvjones classics like all the newer models, the guitar was more buttery yet way more articulate, you could hear the wood of the guitar.

Youre ears are not lying Carl, spot on actually.. and again the newer models have a significantly more "vintage" accurate floating fretboard over the body at the neck joint. This translates into more body top vibration so the guitar feels a little more lively,warmer mids and responsive to finger picking.

Doesnt mean the older ones dont sound darn near close when set up with all the goods, and to their credit the slightly thicker tops are less
feedback prone at higher volume (only noticeable if you use stompboxes)

Carl I'm wondering if your desert island gretsch is more the SSLVO than
the Tribute. Smile you can leave the tribute with me. clown clown

TVTHEWIREDTURTLE

Ayup buddy,

yes ok, as long as you pay the airfare and insurance ! Now your gonna tell me you live next door arnt you?

I'm really impressed with how much you know and the work that youve done on your guitars, i'd never attempt such a thing, and yet it sounds like youve practically rebuilt them, why dont you do a video on upgrades, talk about Tv p/ups etc, what differences your upgrades have made, you must have a wealth of experience to tell buddy, it'd really go down well i feel

regards

Carl

You got the ball rollin' on sound testing the ol' nashville on videos. dont stop... You need to share how you work your nashvilles with a freakin half stack. Show us the speakers, the amp,etc.. Youre rig is kinda how Billy Duffy sets up/ or use to with the Cult.
For me sharing I dont think I want to share anything on video, I want musicians guitars on my bench to make a living. Smile But I am perfectly happy to jabber here on the forum because these guitars and the music we listen to is our bond. Btw... there are many guys here who are really really into their gear AND they can play a mean guitar.

fwiw.. tvjones.com has a few nice videos on some how to's

BLOODY EL - Now youve got me started again! - How about this then..

A Gretsch 6120 SSLVO with Tv's played at MASTER vol no 7 on a MARSHALL JCM 2000 100w head on full gain thru a Vintage reissue 4x12 cab

VERSUS

a 59 reissue Gibson Les Paul, a 58 reissue Gibson Les paul, a USA Strat, a 52 reissue USA Telecaster and a Gibson Flying V.

Who do you think will come out on top?

I think the headline might be..

GRETSCH GUITAR BLOWS THE BALLS OFF THE BEST GUITARS IN THE WORLD - WATCH IT HAPPEN RIGHT HERE

Watch this space...
Back to top Go down
gretschkat57

gretschkat57

GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:14 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:
There's even a few women here who play a mean Gretsch, too! Wink

yah.. but they're in kitchen barefoot n pregnant pirat pirat pig

I would hope you meant that as a joke....but this is one reason I always feel like this is NOT a welcome place for women. Case in point your remark above.

Joke or not, it's not really that funny to women.

There are lots of talented female guitar players out there.....and it's not 1956............it's 2009.

Whatever.......make all the sexist remarks you want. I was really interested in this thread and the videos that were posted.

Now I'm outta here.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm

gretschkat57 wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschkat57 wrote:
There's even a few women here who play a mean Gretsch, too! Wink

yah.. but they're in kitchen barefoot n pregnant pirat pirat pig

I would hope you meant that as a joke....but this is one reason I always feel like this is NOT a welcome place for women. Case in point your remark above.

Joke or not, it's not really that funny to women.

There are lots of talented female guitar players out there.....and it's not 1956............it's 2009.

Whatever.......make all the sexist remarks you want. I was really interested in this thread and the videos that were posted.

Now I'm outta here.

c'mon now.. you saw the 2 pirates and the pig icon after my statement! Smile
you just need to know me better. Yes I am one of those alpha males w/ a 50s everything mentality, but how far does that get you when your wife has a degree, makes more money than you and you take care of 2 kids all day. Yep..
I also do laundry, cook dinner,wash dishes and mop floors.. 'cept on the weekends.
(my wife will tell you I dont do laundry worth crap..but I remodel bathrooms and living rooms pretty damn well)

Everybody is equal in my heart dear friend, the last thing I want to do
is offend you... but I'm still gonna act up now and then, too much fun.. sheeze last time Andi was gonna use a hatchet on me. Very Happy
Although I cant stand female sportscasters on the football field..
bad bad man, I know..

ps. one of my favorite influential female singer/songwriter guitarists is
Ani DeFranco. I did love Amy winehouse but I think she's dead, so I continue to play my Sara Mclachlan CD's when I'm feeling bloated and
unattractive.... 24/7 tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:55 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
sheeze last time Andi was gonna use a hatchet on me. Very Happy

You misquote me my silly little pigheaded friend. I said I carry an amp in one hand and an "axe" in the other - you know, a guitar! Very Happy

Take it all in stride Sue, dish it out as good as the boys give it ('specially this one) and you'll be alright!

sunny
Back to top Go down
gretschkat57

gretschkat57

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 7:04 pm

andi wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
sheeze last time Andi was gonna use a hatchet on me. Very Happy

You misquote me my silly little pigheaded friend. I said I carry an amp in one hand and an "axe" in the other - you know, a guitar! Very Happy

Take it all in stride Sue, dish it out as good as the boys give it ('specially this one) and you'll be alright!

sunny

Thanks Andi!

I'd try the old "El Kabong" but I hate to ruin a good Gretsch guitar!

lol!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 pm

...this once was a space age bachelor pad you know. Smile

GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Space
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 am

TV, have you thought about opening an (online)shop that speacializes on the needs of Rockabilly guitarists? I mean with all your knowledge that wouldn't be too bad. And with your Nocturne coming up you would already have a way to sell it.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 am

Guitarmaniac wrote:
TV, have you thought about opening an (online)shop that speacializes on the needs of Rockabilly guitarists? I mean with all your knowledge that wouldn't be too bad. And with your Nocturne coming up you would already have a way to sell it.

Chris

...Or a avatar shop! Wink I like your new one TV.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:50 am

Guitarmaniac wrote:

Chris

I think I would just piss everyone off eventually. Plus I really dont
know much, just enought to get me in trouble. Especially with sweet ladies that play guitar. Heck I'm married to a sweet lady that plays a really REALLY big guitar! ( talk about El Kabong) Smile
GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 L_da6d9f5df5dc457eb2c02e7d28b7d582
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 12:11 am

Last edited by Kelley on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Alright, so anyway, Ako - I just watched part 2 and I dug it. Interesting point you make about your '05 SSLVO sounding more bassy. I had the opposite experience in my comparison here with my '99 SSU and an '05 SSLVO. I had to laugh at your having to keep looking at the label to remember which fiddle you were playing! That's a good problem to have! By the way, you get some really good rock tone out of your rig.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 am

Just watched part 3. I liked how you bottom lined the differences between the three models and characterized the first two as working tools vs the unique museum like stature of the tribute model. This should help anybody jonesing for the tribute and hopefully prevent them from breaking their banks to buy one of these. It sets the right expectation. It also seems to me Ako that you may like the Hotrod models as there is no mud switch. The neck radius on the newer models is the same as SSLVO and they have the same TV Jones Classic pickups. The bodies are thinner than SSU as well.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 am

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
Just watched part 3. I liked how you bottom lined the differences between the three models and characterized the first two as working tools vs the unique museum like stature of the tribute model. This should help anybody jonesing for the tribute and hopefully prevent them from breaking their banks to buy one of these. It sets the right expectation. It also seems to me Ako that you may like the Hotrod models as there is no mud switch. The neck radius on the newer models is the same as SSLVO and they have the same TV Jones Classic pickups. The bodies are thinner than SSU as well.

you knows what kinda funny..I've been offered money for my SSU and
I'd rather die with it! Smile I know love yours, down to the neck shape!

I'm looking for a 2005 SSL for cheap so I can spoke shave the neck exactly like my 99'.....
btw..hotrods have "Ebonized" fretboards..put a buffer bit on a dremel
and watch the tears fall when the rosewood appears!
For some reason that "little" bit of info gets over looked but makes
a BIG difference tonally in some applications.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 am

I've often wondered about an SSL, but given the lack of significant differences between that and my current '99, I've left it alone. I loved my Hot Rod though and think about going after one every time I see pics of Le Setz playing one.
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 am

From all the Setzer models I prefer the SSLVO.
The HotRods are too trebly for me, I don't like the feel of the Black Phoenix, and I don't really like those deep tiger maple stripes of the SSU(GR) and the SSL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:29 am

I've often wondered about an SSL, but given the lack of significant differences between that and my current '99, I've left it alone. I loved my Hot Rod though and think about going after one every time I see pics of Le Setz playing one.

the only thing I could "feel" between my 99SSU and SSL was the V was more pronounced on the SSL.. thats why I sold it. that and I didnt want to
hassle with the long task of de-pimping the gold off
Back to top Go down
ako

ako

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Alright, so anyway, Ako - I just watched part 2 and I dug it. Interesting point you make about your '05 SSLVO sounding more bassy. I had the opposite experience in my comparison here with my '99 SSU and an '05 SSLVO. I had to laugh at your having to keep looking at the label to remember which fiddle you were playing! That's a good problem to have! By the way, you get some really good rock tone out of your rig.

Hey Buddy,

Thankyou for your compliments, im chuffed you enjoyed them, i spent 8 years playing the SSU model that you saw, from large concert halls such as the Liverpool Empire to dingy sweaty pubs being packed with just 25 punters.

Not once did it ever let me down, It took a few gigs to get used to at first having previously using a 58 reissue les paul, But wow what a sound, it really impressed the punters in every venue i played it in, especially the gear anoraks as we call them, its not very often anyone hears a Gretsch through a Marshall 100w 2 x 4x12 stack, but once learning to control its behavior, i was sold, and have been ever since.

To actually feel every note or chord vibrating at such volumes & power, was & is unbelievable.

So from a working intstrument point of view, i know it inside out, When i got the SSLVO it seemed easier to control with not so much high end, but the same feeling once again through the stack, so im now Gretsch thru & thru. I also play a Gibson Flying V at gigs for certain songs, and the Gretsch blows it away, and punters are always asking , when are you going to use that other guitar?? ( The Gretsch) ive never known such an effect on the audience. it just rocks, looks fantastic and blows everyone away with its massive sound..

Incidently! Due to having such pos feedback from the vid series, it being so helpful to others and being asked how the hell do i control a Gretsch at such volumes, ive decided when i get back from Crete on 8th May, I have a festival to do on the 9th, and im going to do ( You'll be pleased to hear) just ONE video (which will be part no Cool of a Gibson Flying V being blown away by an SSLVO thru a Marshall 100w half stack on no 8/10 !! with full gain and how i set my rig up to compensate for the semi ac Gretsch to keep unwanted feedback away. I know the Gibbo fans wont like it - and it'll FREAK the Chet style Gretsch fans out totally, but it'll show people another side of a Gretsch guitar they wouldnt normally expect & why I use a Gretsch for what i do..

To give you an idea - Have a look at this,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxL2Z9_3kM

Its also great being the only guy using a Gretsch out of 60 bands playing over a weekend!

Hope you enjoy, Im off for me jollys in the morning , as per video so speak soon and keep rockin'

Kindest regards

Carl
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 am

Guitarmaniac wrote:
From all the Setzer models I prefer the SSLVO.
The HotRods are too trebly for me.

Yep. I put a 250K pot in mine & it warmed it up right quick. My theory is, with the other models you have a much longer wiring harness... 2 switches & 3 pots for the signal to go thru, as opposed to the much shorter signal path of the HR... 1 switch & 1 pot. That's added capacitance (in the other models), which will cut off some ultra-high end (a really long cable does the same thing). Well, I don't want to use a 50 foot cable at home Smile so I replaced the 500K vol pot in my HR with a 250K, and it does the same thing... cuts off some of that ultra-high end.

It's an old trick, but a goodie. It can go the other way as well: in a Les Paul with a too-dark/muddy neck pup, switch out the 500K neck vol pot for a 1M vol pot. More clarity & brightness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS   GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GRETSCH BRIAN SETZER SSC $30k TRIBUTE COMPARED TO THE SSU & SSLVO SIG MODELS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2