Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lets change the subject

Go down 
+11
gretschoholic
Le Hub'
Twenty Flight Rick
laurent327
Rickabilly
Hot Rod Girl
Kelley
setzerino
Brett
Andi
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lets change the subject Empty
PostSubject: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:53 pm

Okay Folks, I heard Lew Williams "Bop bop a do bop" , for the first time the other day.
Fishnet Stockings ,one hell of a Cats tune with some beautiful guitar work is a total rewrite.
I was amazed. The Cats version ,lyrically is far superior , but the original is really boppin. I love the bass in it.
I also heard "Please gimme something" in it's entirety for the first time. Cool, but "Crawl up and Die" is meaner.
They rewrote Jeannie, Jeanie too , hmmm...but made it rock harder.
Storm the Embassy ,wow thats a rewrite of "Boys having Babys".
So apart from Runaway Boys, Rock this Town, Strut and Rumble, the Cats had no original ideas for that first album. I've lost all faith in thier rock n'roll ethos. I'll have to start all over again and go back to some crappy 2nd rate punk band for some real integrity......??
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 am

You shit-stirrer you, Vinnie! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Deeply offended   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:38 am

I ? A fecal agitator ? I think not Madame ! Why if you were not a Lady, I would slap you silly. Such unparliamentary language does not belong on a platform such as this.
By the way ,anybody familiar with " Romp Stompin' Boogie by Jaycee Hill ? The intro reminds me so much of "Sexy and 17".
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:00 am

?

What´s wrong here in HVL Country?

Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:24 am

there must be something in the water.
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am

yeh its brian. Its my favourite picture of him...EVER.
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:49 am

Lord Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
I ? A fecal agitator ? I think not Madame ! Why if you were not a Lady, I would slap you silly. Such unparliamentary language does not belong on a platform such as this.
By the way ,anybody familiar with " Romp Stompin' Boogie by Jaycee Hill ? The intro reminds me so much of "Sexy and 17".

Whoa! It's getting deep in here. Time to figure out where I put those darn hip boots...

Hey, who threw a baby ruth candy bar into the pool?
Shocked Laughing
hrg
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 am

Now that you mention it, Vinnie, all that Elvis Presley fellow did was cover other people's songs. What a talentless no-goodnik! Very Happy

Even when your tongue is firmly planted in cheek, Lord Vincent, you are brilliant. Thanks for dredging up one of more ludicrous debates in Setzerology.

In rock-n-roll, especially the 50s era, artists who were successful recording their own material were a rarity. The accessible, do-it-yourself aspect of rock-n-roll doesn't always churn out the next Lennon-McCartney or Bob Dylan. Even Buddy Holly, who gets a lot of credit for being one of the first really successful rockers to write their own songs, still covered a lot of other folks' material. If you've got the talent as a performer, and you can deliver the goods, what does it matter if you write your own stuff? Of course, copyright lawyers might disagree, but as a fan, if it rocks, it rocks. I don't really care to chop down the tree and count the rings, I just want to enjoy some great music.

On this forum where non-native English speakers are a huge part of the membership, perhaps we need some sort of sarcasm filter.

Hack-a-billy
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 7:22 am

Always the same old stupid discussion. I don't care who written the song, all I know is that Stray Cats covers of this song KICK ASS
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 am

Okay so, what about those VIP packages? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am

Rick, Laurent, thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 am

Rickabilly wrote:
On this forum where non-native English speakers are a huge part of the membership, perhaps we need some sort of sarcasm filter.

Hack-a-billy
Oh, it was ironic? Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 10:17 am

So apart from Runaway Boys, Rock this Town, Strut and Rumble

lol!

They could've called it a day after releasing those four tracks alone, and STILL be the best rockabilly band since the fifties... Cool

A sarcasm filter for us non-natives sounds like a good idea, by the way. You almost had me there, Lord Blackshadow... Rolling Eyes Wink

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:02 am

So apart from Runaway Boys, Rock this Town, Strut and Rumble, the Cats had no original ideas for that first album. I've lost all faith in thier rock n'roll ethos. I'll have to start all over again and go back to some crappy 2nd rate punk band for some real integrity......??

I've heard about 'Boys having Babys' (shouldn't that be 'Babies?) - Who's that originally by? I presumed it was the Pharoahs, but the New York Dolls comes to mind (and i don't even know if there is such a band - i'm tired and that popped into my head)
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 am

Okay Folks, I heard Lew Williams "Bop bop a do bop" , for the first time the other day.
Fishnet Stockings ,one hell of a Cats tune with some beautiful guitar work is a total rewrite.
I was amazed. The Cats version ,lyrically is far superior , but the original is really boppin. I love the bass in it.
I also heard "Please gimme something" in it's entirety for the first time. Cool, but "Crawl up and Die" is meaner.
They rewrote Jeannie, Jeanie too , hmmm...but made it rock harder.

lew's website had this to say:
""

Inside the Tracks
#1 Bop Bop Ba Doo Bop (Classroom Hop)
Recorded September, 1956 in Hollywood, California. This rocker tells
about everyone in school — including the teacher — being captivated
by rock and roll, and they're all doing the Classroom Hop. (You may
have noticed that Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats' "Fishnet Stockings",
which was recorded in 1981, sounds a lot like this track. Bill Millar
said in the liner notes of the Bear Family CD" That'll Flat Git It!
Volume 12, Rockabilly from the Vaults of Imperial Records ". . .the
Stray Cats plagiarized a Williams number and called it 'Fishnet Stockings'.")
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Quote :
. .the
Stray Cats plagiarized a Williams number and called it 'Fishnet Stockings'.")

'Fishnet Stockings TUNE also sounds Like Little Richard's 'Long Tall Sally'.....
"Well......My sweet baby wears Fishnet Stockings...."

"Well..Long Tall Sally she's really sweet ...."

And like hundreds of other 1950's rockin' songs....The TUNE i'm talkin' about.
And it's suppose to!!! It's based on '50's rock n roll. The difference (and why Stray Cats are so good) is not because of the tune, or the lyrics......but because of their SOUND (on record) and their CHEMISTRY (Playing Live on stage).

Quote :
The Cats version ,lyrically is far superior , but the original is really boppin. I love the bass in it.

Please see my comments above!
But as we all know, it's great to find original recordings or artists!
As Rick said Brian helped him discover Eddie Cochran!
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
lonesomecat

lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 pm

well, when i heard stray cats first time, back in 1981 , i was 14 years old, and i did not know anything about eddie cochran , gene vincent..........

so it´s allright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BASTA !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 pm

So apart from Runaway Boys, Rock this Town, Strut and Rumble, the Cats had no original ideas for that first album.

Actually, Rock this town is merely 'Paralyzed' by Elvis with new lyrics, and no bridge.

-g
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:06 pm

I remember you or Ronnie pointing that out before, and when I listened to it that night, it freaked me right out! But before that, I had heard people comparing it with Art Adams' "Rock Crazy Baby." Despite the similarities in both tunes, I tend to think Brian had neither of these tunes on the brain when he wrote "Rock This Town."

The search for the musical lineage of these tunes, and tracking down the original versions of the songs they openly covered is one of the greatest things about being a Stray Cats and Brian Setzer fan.

Cover-billy
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm

It took me until this week to get my hands on the "original" versions of Fishnet stockings and Crawl up and Die. A few months back I heard on the radio,the original version of Wild Saxaphone. But I didnt get the artists name, I know someone here can tell me ? also who did the original of Gonna Ball. I have it someplace but I cant find it.
By the way ,who did the better version of Wasnt that good ? Wynonnie Harris or the Cats ?
Wynonnie had that real cool voice but I love the 2 guitar parts on Brians version. If you play around with the left and right speaker balance ,on this song, you can pick Brians guitar bits apart. Try it....
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm

A few months back I heard on the radio,the original version of Wild Saxaphone. But I didnt get the artists name, I know someone here can tell me ?

Roy Montrell
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:30 pm

muchos gracias senor
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm

My pleasure! Smile The original is Called "(Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone", by the way, and you can find it on - among others - THESE albums. The late, great Earl Palmer played drums on it too... Cool

Anders

Last edited by gretschoholic on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets change the subject   Lets change the subject Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lets change the subject
Page 1 of 1