Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doheny 6 days & counting.

Go down 
+4
tvthewiredturtle
Rocky Mountain Cat
Andi
weaser
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
weaser

weaser

Doheny 6 days & counting. Empty
PostSubject: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey everyone, getting exited about the upcoming show with the Nashvillians this weekend. Any on here going besides me? Should do a pre-party or something with members. I will be there for the whole weekend, checking in on Friday night. Look forward to meeting any of you.
Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey,
look forward to hearing the reviews, set list, pics....

Enjoy it folks!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:13 pm

I'll be there Tim, though since I'm only arriving in the country the day before I may not turn up to the festival till the last half of Saturday - gotta try and get over my jetlag!
Back to top Go down
weaser

weaser

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I probably will bust out my t-shirt from the 50th b-day bash when Brian goes on stage. Have to wait till the sun goes down, actually suppose to be about 77 degrees. Where you flying from? And have a safe flight.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:29 pm

This Friday, May 15, I am moving from Australia back to California (eventually settling back in my hometown of San Diego). Nooooo, that timing had *nothing* to do with the Doheny show!!

sunny

I've got a few friends from San Diego who will be there, so I reckon it'll be a busy couple of days for me! This is me and a friend in February- though hopefully this weekend I'll look a bit less haggard!

Doheny 6 days & counting. 3323372609_05c3d1f423_m

See you there - shoop shoo wah!
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Andi wrote:
This Friday, May 15, I am moving from Australia back to California (eventually settling back in my hometown of San Diego). Nooooo, that timing had *nothing* to do with the Doheny show!!

Welcome back to the States, Andi! Nice to have you here again - now you get to have 2 Summers back-to-back. I was wondering how you were going to get to go to both Doheny and Murphys this year. I thought maybe you'd won the lottery!

And by the way, while you're at the show, could you do me a big favor (insert obvious request here)?
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Rocky Mountain Cat wrote:
Welcome back to the States, Andi! Nice to have you here again - now you get to have 2 Summers back-to-back. I was wondering how you were going to get to go to both Doheny and Murphys this year. I thought maybe you'd won the lottery!

Not so much looking forward to the back to back summer thing, I'd much rather have some winter, dammit! I cannot tell you how excited I am to be going back to someplace where Christmas = cool weather! And it's not just Doheny and Murphys, I'm also planning to be in The "Bright Light City" of Vegas on Dec 23 for my first BSO Christmas show. Gonna set my soul on fire...

Lottery? I wish. Just blowing all my savings to get back to my home and the people and music and things I love! May already have a photo session lined up for once I get to San Diego and hopefully will get more in the pipeline to help pay for livin' the life I love.

And by the way, while you're at the show, could you do me a big favor (insert obvious request here)?

You really think you even need to ask me, RMC? You know I'll come through for you on all three.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I knew I could count on you. (Again!)

Good luck with the move and re-starting everything.

I hope you have a wonderful time at Doheny. It'll be great to see the Nashvillains. I hope everyone who gets to go has a fantastic time! Rockabilly on the beach!

What time do they start chanting "Save The Whales"?
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:35 pm

What time do they start chanting "Save The Whales"?

What, you mean we haven't already started?!

I have no doubt it will be an awesome weekend in all respects and an awesome start to a completely new chapter in my life! Looking forward to getting to know all the West Coast HDVDL folks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Can't wait!!!

I'd love Brian to play 59!! Isn't it a wonderful song???
Back to top Go down
weaser

weaser

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 2:52 pm

I would love him to play some stuff off of Nitro Burning Funny Daddy. That is a bluesy album and Doheny is a blues festival. Just can't wait to see the reaction of the crowd, which is a mixed crowd, not all Setzer fanatics like me.
The weather is going to be in the high 70's right on the beach. GREAT WEEKEND.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:09 pm

I wanna go but seems like tooo much effort to catch Setzer, I dont want
to see any blues bands.. maybe 40s are catching up with me.
I want to drive up to the front of the club, walk 100 ft, buy a beer and
sit in my seat with no idiots standing up in front of me blocking my view.
too much to ask huh? Smile

grandpappy-billy

ps. anybody know EXACTLY when He hits the stage? that might make it worth the 35minute crawl through hell traffic to the OC. (although the toll road helps)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:56 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I wanna go but seems like tooo much effort to catch Setzer

Spoken like a true fan.

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I want to drive up to the front of the club, walk 100 ft, buy a beer and sit in my seat with no idiots standing up in front of me blocking my view.

Stay home then. I'll be one of those idiots.

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
anybody know EXACTLY when He hits the stage? that might make it worth the 35minute crawl through hell traffic to the OC. (although the toll road helps)

As I understand it, the festival ends at 9:30. I would guess that means he'll hit the stage around 8pm (I asked this question on the Doheny forums and got a similar answer)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Andi wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I wanna go but seems like tooo much effort to catch Setzer

Spoken like a true fan.

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I want to drive up to the front of the club, walk 100 ft, buy a beer and sit in my seat with no idiots standing up in front of me blocking my view.

Stay home then. I'll be one of those idiots.

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
anybody know EXACTLY when He hits the stage? that might make it worth the 35minute crawl through hell traffic to the OC. (although the toll road helps)

As I understand it, the festival ends at 9:30. I would guess that means he'll hit the stage around 8pm (I asked this question on the Doheny forums and got a similar answer)

why is it so important to stand the whole time? Maybe I WILL go..after about 9 beers I'll just pour it down your back..mwhahahaha!!

scratch scratch scratch eh.. then I'd have to take a patrol car back to riverside, its no fun in the back of those things. The headrests dont have video screens. drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
weaser

weaser

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:22 pm

He goes on @ 7:50 and is playing to 9. It is actually a lot of fun. I am actually looking forward to Derek Trucks on Sunday. Big Sandy is playing on Saturday I think like 5:20. Just come on by, it is a great event.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:11 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
why is it so important to stand the whole time?

1. When you're performing your arse off in front of a crowd, do you like them to sit in the grass and talk and ignore you? I have seen evidence that performers perform better when the crowd is enthusiastic.

2. Photography.

3. A dear friend and dance buddy of mine will be there. I'm hoping to dance with him - the first chance I've had to dance to live Setzer in a very long time.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the entire crowd was on their feet for the Nashvillains show, which may make dancing impossible. In any case if everyone is standing, you'd be sitting alone behind a wall of people. You'd have a hard time finding my back to pour beer down it.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:16 pm

weaser wrote:
Big Sandy is playing on Saturday I think like 5:20. Just come on by, it is a great event.

Thanks for that Tim, I've really been wanting to catch Big Sandy - he performed live on my radio show years ago and I photographed him at Hootenanny in '06 - but I couldn't find a schedule with times listed anywhere. 5:20 would be great, based on where he's listed in the lineup on the website I figured that meant he'd be on way early in the day and I'd likely miss him.

Cool, that's 3 bands I can't wait to see! I just recently discovered Keb' Mo' (his CD was playing in a restaurant I was in on Mother's Day. Excellent blues, no matter what Tavo says!) and I was delighted to see he's on right before the Nashvillains. Gonna be a good day.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:26 pm

hey now.. I didnt say I didnt love blues...my cd collection is probably
40%blues.. (ever heard Eric Sardinas?)
I just prefer a Kustom Kulture crowd when I
enjoy a rockabilly show. Just like I'd hate to go sit down
at a chops house for a prime rib and cabernet, surrounded by
aquariums and parrothead atmosphere. Not good for the digestion. Smile

btw.. Big Sandy shows are ALWAYs top notch.. his guitarist
Ashley Kingman is soooo incredible with a totally unique vintage
tone out of an actual Bigsby Guitar and fulltone space echo w/ fender deluxe. hopefully they'll bring along Lee Jeffries on pedal steel!!
Just saw them a few weeks back at Lake Alice with Deke Dickerson.

ps. dancing.... d-a-n-c-i-n-g? maybe after the 9 beers. rabbit
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:54 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I just prefer a Kustom Kulture crowd when I enjoy a rockabilly show.

Do tell, from what year are your underwear, Tavo? Laughing

It is a *blues* fest. Le Setz and Sandy are the odd men out. Don't make no difference to me, I'd go see Setzer play even if he was lying on a beach towel in the sand in swim trunks and nothing else while he was playing.

Actually, I'd pay damn good money to see that.

sunny
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Andi wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I just prefer a Kustom Kulture crowd when I enjoy a rockabilly show.

Do tell, from what year are your underwear, Tavo? Laughing

It is a *blues* fest. Le Setz and Sandy are the odd men out. Don't make no difference to me, I'd go see Setzer play even if he was lying on a beach towel in the sand in swim trunks and nothing else while he was playing.

Actually, I'd pay damn good money to see that.

sunny

IF you could only go back to the old forum and hear my irritation at
that song.. pisses me off still today, especially since setzer has the
billy schmarm down to a T, infact I hate that album. Sounds like
Setzer sat down and recorded an album with a drum sequencer and
spit out an album because Niels was pressuring him for an album to appease the japanese fans.
...just for balance here, Wolfgang was a strange departure for Setz' but it was pure talent and class. Those are the only 2 albums I
scratch my head at.

btw.. since you asked: commando pirat

ps. there aint nothing wrong with OC starbucks rockabillies
Back to top Go down
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:11 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

tone out of an actual Bigsby Guitar

Actually it's a magnatone with a bigsby neck......

-g
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Bigbassape wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

tone out of an actual Bigsby Guitar

Actually it's a magnatone with a bigsby neck......

-g
you mean the dark one with no paint left on it with a ton
of signatures all over it? Thats what he uses down here with
the TS9, TTE and Dlx reverb
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 2:13 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. Big Sandy shows are ALWAYs top notch.. his guitarist Ashley Kingman is soooo incredible with a totally unique vintage tone

I've never seen'em live... but yeah, Mr Kingman's good. However, I always liked the Fly-Rite TRIO better than the Fly-Rite Boys. TK Smith is a helluva guitar player!!! The first two Big Sandy albums didn't leave my record player for weeks after they were released... (and I just realized it's nearly twenty years ago.... Suspect )

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 7:10 am

gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. Big Sandy shows are ALWAYs top notch.. his guitarist Ashley Kingman is soooo incredible with a totally unique vintage tone

I've never seen'em live... but yeah, Mr Kingman's good. However, I always liked the Fly-Rite TRIO better than the Fly-Rite Boys. TK Smith is a helluva guitar player!!! The first two Big Sandy albums didn't leave my record player for weeks after they were released... (and I just realized it's nearly twenty years ago.... Suspect )

Anders

speaking of forever...
are we gonna have to wait 20 yrs for you to share your
amber 6120 with the new jones pkups? hint hint? tongue
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:10 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Anders

speaking of forever...
are we gonna have to wait 20 yrs for you to share your
amber 6120 with the new jones pkups? hint hint? tongue

Ooops... silent errhh, not 20 I hope... There's a better topic for that in the cave, I'll do it this weekend. Rolling Eyes

Anders (Lazy)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doheny 6 days & counting.   Doheny 6 days & counting. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doheny 6 days & counting.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next