Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The grandparents thread

Go down 
+9
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
enjay07
pony65k
Guitarmaniac
webelvis
lonesomecat
Twenty Flight Rick
Spanishdavid
Andi
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

The grandparents thread Empty
PostSubject: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:46 am

It seems many of us had and have some pretty fantastic grandparents. If you haven't already elsewhere on this board- heck, even if you have - take this opportunity to share stories and photos and celebrate them!

I have been blessed to have three sets of grandparents, what with divorces, remarriages and unfortunately, early loss in the case of my paternal grandmother. I have lost two of my grandfathers, and both were very special to me.

Grandpa't (I couldn't pronounce "Grandpa Art" when I was little, it just came out Grandpa't. And it stuck), my mom's stepdad and my grandfather since before I was born, passed away just before my wedding. I cannot recall ever seeing him without a smile and a loud, boisterous laugh (he was slightly deaf so everything from him was loud, but you heard the laugh most often.) If he loved you, he punched you on the shoulder and said, "hey Tiger!," while grinning from ear to ear. He had a lot of love, so he did it a lot.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Grandpa't in digital form. He was the first person I'd ever lost that I was close to, and it made me appreciate my family that much more. I'm very glad that I've since recorded audio or video interviews and taken many photographs of my older family members. Never underestimate how much you'll appreciate having those memories later.

Happily, mom's mom is still with us and she is a force to be reckoned with. I've never known anyone as opinionated and strong willed and clear on right and wrong as my Grandma. She also, at every holiday gathering, tells fantastically hilarious stories about my mother and her terrible youthful klutziness, much to my mother's chagrin. I'm really glad I got some of those stories on video. I visited Grandma as soon as I landed back in the States, and will see her again this weekend.

The grandparents thread DSC_2793a

Dad's dad was Papa. Every grandfather on that side of the family had been called Papa and he was proud to take over the title when I was born, his only grandchild. I could talk about him for ages. He rode motorcycles, made turquoise jewelry, believed there were only two kinds of music - country and western - and taught me how to two step when I was little, letting me stand on his cowboy boots as he led me around the living room floor listening to Tom T. Hall. After retiring from a career in the aerospace industry he scampered off to build a house in the wilds of Oregon. I reckon a little of that pioneer streak got to me, since I later did something similar. He passed away in March 2008. I wear his favorite turquoise and silver bracelet nearly every day.

The grandparents thread DSC_0137

So now it's your turn. Tell us a story or two, show us a photo or three.
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am

My pleasure to introduce you to my grandmother, Rita. She passed away a year and a half ago more or less, but she is present in my life EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I have the cane she used to walk with, by my bed, as a constant reminder of her. It will go with me forever, wherever I am. She used it daily at least her last 12-14 years in this world. So it was part of her. I feel close to her when I touch it.

This is a very old shot, but it was her favorite, of us together. She had this picture at her bedroom by her bed:

The grandparents thread L_8423f95feb5a1630023e51e43543f684

She did like to drink a shot of Baileys from time to time. One bottle of it could last over a year or even two.... but each time I got her one as a present you could see a smile in her face. She was never a drinker nor a smoker, but she always said: "I do like that little thing.... every once in a while":

The grandparents thread L_c7ce28bd34e331e8adb29b55d8765344

I miss her so much.

I love you, grandma!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 am

Absolutely beautiful David, thank you for sharing. Those photos are fantastic!!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 am

This thread is making me tear up! I think it's because of the strength and level of influence our grandparents have over our lives, and how that love and influence is never forgotten. The examples cited here on this board are a testament to the power and longevity of that bond. Spanish D, Johnny Kool, and Rickabilly have all shared touching accounts of that. Part of my emotional response to this topic is because I am now going through that process of decline with my grandma - my mom's mom, Mabel.

Mabel lost her fiancee in the attack on Pearl Harbor. She was raised as one of 7 children on a farm near Stokesdale, NC. She was ahead of her time. For some reason, she said the hell with this and left the family farm by herself and made the Joad trek to California. She became a Rosie the Riveter and built airplanes for one of the big makers, either Hughes or McDonnel Douglas. She met my grandpa out there, the son of Austrian immigrants 20 years her senior. They got married and returned to NC where they started their family.

Grandpa Mike died of a stroke when I was about 5, but I remember him. Some of my earliest memories are with grandma Mabel. My parents lived then across a dirt road from her house, so she was a constant presence and provider of assistance and daycare for my sister and me. When I was a toddler, grandma used to take me to church where she played piano and led the choir. I would sit on the piano stool with her and turn the pages of sheet music at her direction.

She was a political/community activist in the vein of her FDR roots and politics. She taught me to not be afraid of standing up for what you believe in even if you're the only one standing. She's a tough tough woman. She has her moments of clarity and still knows who we are, but it's hard. Again my condolences to JohnnyKool.
Back to top Go down
lonesomecat

lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:12 pm

all dead ... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm

This thread is great so many memories!!
My Grandpa was, and still is a real cool cat. I think he was already born with a Saxophone hangin' around his neck. Wink My Brother learned all the Basics of playing it from him.
This is a Picture of him and the Rest of my family last christmas:
The grandparents thread L_0fe910
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Here's my Grandma and my Grandpa. I really love them both more than I can express.
My Grandpa used to be a trucker for a local building company and when he was still working he made tours through all of Germany and even down south to Italy. He also used to ride cool motorcycles until my Mom was born. He also has gigantic hands=)
The grandparents thread Christophkonfirmation00

My Grandma is the best cook I can imagine. As my Grandparents live only about 50m away from us we eat lunch over at their house every Wednesday. She cooks for the whole family (When we are complete we are 11 people) and it's always brilliant.
She also bakes the best cakes. Here she is on my birthday last year cutting the cakes she made.
The grandparents thread Christophkonfirmation03
The grandparents thread Christophkonfirmation03
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Man.... I want a piece of that cake!!!!!

Andi, thanks for opening this thread!

I envy you for having your grandpa.... I never met one of them, and the other one (Rita´s husband) died when I was only 2 or 3... I have vague memories of him. That´s why Rita was so important to me. She was basically my only grandmother.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Ahh grandparents Laughing Unfortunately I never got to meet my Grandpa's, they both passed away before I was born. I was never close to my Grandma on my Mother's side, but "Oma" on my Father's side was an amazing lady. She was a tiny thing, just around 5 feet tall. I called her Little Oma to differentiate between her and my Mother's Mother. There was a tiny language barrier as my German was pretty basic when I was younger, but there was soo much love between us. I will always remember the looks she gave and her touch, it's some of the most memorable moments of my life.

She was here on holiday and we went to a motor museum for the day. I think I was about 11 at the time. We were in the cafe having coffee and cake. There was a little silver milk container. I commented how cute it was. Later when we got home she opened her bag and gave it to me. I found that container in Dad's garage last year all tarnished. We gave it a good clean and now it sits proudly on display in their home. When I saw it in the garage, so many memories came flooding back. When ever I think of this story I both laugh and cry.

Unfortunately I lost her to cancer in 1997. I cried so hard for her and still do. I miss her something awful, but I still feel her with me and I'll never ever forget how special she was and still is. She passed away in Vienna where she lived and I never got a chance to say goodbye. In 2001 I finally got to Vienna. The first stop I had to make was to see Oma's grave. I wish she was still here, what I wouldn't give for one of her hugs and to hear he say "I Love You" to me again.

Ahhh the memories.

Thanks Andi, you're a treasure. I shall now go and wipe away the tears.

Pony Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 6:48 pm

This is awesome. Thank you all for sharing.

Grandparents rock!

sunny
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 pm

[img]The grandparents thread 4_gen14[/img]

Sorry about the size of the photo.

This is my "4 Generation" photo from many years ago. Here my oldest son is 3 months old; he's 12 1/2 years old now! That's my mom & her mom (my grandma) with me.

My grandma was widowed in the 1930's and raised 3 children on her own, never to remarry. While a "single mom" she went back to university and received her degree in education so she could become a teacher. She was quite literally the "glue" that always kept our family together. I was the 2nd youngest grandchild she had, and my oldest cousin is about 15+ years my senior.

Grandma took care of all of us when we were growing up. We all have special stories of spending the night with grandma (it was such a special treat!), grandma's flannel sheets (like crawling into a fireplace!), playing in her unfinished basement, grandma's Tater-Tot casserole, playing "Authors," the list goes on forever.

She lived to be 103. Always a rock. Always a firm hand. Always full of love to share. She had a stroke about a week before her 99th birthday and was forced into a nursing home at that time. She'd been living on her own up until then.

Being a single mom now too, I have so many questions I would love to ask her. Where did she get her strength? Did she ever get scared and worry she wouldn't be able to "do it all" for her family? You know..life questions.

She passed away November 1st a couple of years ago. That same year I had a dream on Christmas Eve that she was sitting next to me at the dinner table on Christmas Day. In the dream she never said anything, she just sat there eating her dinner, listening to the laughter and the stories......and she was happy. I cried my eyes out.

Call me crazy, but I believe there are angels around us all the time. Even though I don't know if I'm making the right parenting/career/life choices all the time, when things get rough I can always feel my grandma's soul intertwined with mine. Gone from this world, yes. Gone from my heart? Never.
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:19 pm

My moms dad died in 1978 at the age of 81. He was born and lived in the same house his entire life and never spent a night anywhere else until he was in his late 70s ,when he slept one night in our house. Can you imagine that. 81 years sleeping in the same house ,night after night.
In his 20s ,during the Irish war of Independance ,he was part of a group that used to dig up the local roads in order to hinder the movements of the British soldiers.
My fathers parents were second cousins (which would explain alot). My fathers dad had 9 siblings . Himself and one sister was all that survived into adulthood. All the rest died from TB in thier teens.
My fathers mom was only 12 years old when she had to leave home to go work for farmers ,milking cows. No wages ,just a room in a shed and food.
My wifes grandad fought in the first world war in an Irish regiment of the British army (the South Irish Horse) which were a cavalry regiment.
Both of my Grandmothers spent 6 years in New york in the 1930s , and both returned to live in Ireland in "arranged " marraiges.
My moms mom could speak fluent Irish (Gaelic) as she grew up in an isolated part of the country.
They lived thier early lives in extreme poverty as did most of the country in those times.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Enjay, that was really, truly beautiful and moving. Vinnie, it was great to read about your history as well.

I spent the day yesterday with my grandparents and many other family members - it was wonderful. My grandfather, always with big plans, wants me to figure out how we can buy a radio station together!! My grandmother (in the photo above) looked absolutely lovely yesterday. She nearly knocked me over with shock and laughter when she made the comment "I don't give a flyin' rip," which is about the strongest language I've ever heard out of her!!

'Twas a great day.

sunny
Back to top Go down
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:43 pm

My cousin John is putting together an album of family photos going back to my great-grandfather. He sent me a disk of the scans he made.

Here's a few awesome ones.

My great-grandad Henry.

The grandparents thread HenryHAtkinson

My great-grandad (center) with two of his cousins.

The grandparents thread SamHarry

A CRAZY photo of my great-grandad with his med school class. If you look close, you can see the cadaver they've been working on.

The grandparents thread Henrymedschool

My great-grandad Henry and great-grandma Grace.. chillin in the woods.

The grandparents thread MotherGraceGrandadLR

This is my dad's dad. My grandad Harry.

The grandparents thread HHJrTurkeyHunLR

And my grandmother, Maxine.

The grandparents thread Maxineriley

And the two of them around 1972-73.

The grandparents thread HarryMaxineLR
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:53 am

My Grandma passed away Thursday at 5am and her funeral is tomorrow. My life and work experiences have given me a lot exposure to death. This was the first time that I've felt that it was a good thing. She was in a lot of pain, but now she is in a better place. Unfortunately, my uncle also passed away this week, as did another member of my extended family. My church has 3 funerals - Thursday, today, and tomorrow. The clergy are definately earning their pay this week.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 am

Rick, I'm so sorry for your losses. Thank you for sharing your Grandmother with us in this thread. We'll all be thinking of you.
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 11:41 am

Yeah sorry.
The best to you and your family.
Just enjoy your family as much as you can. They are the only thing that real matters in life. I don't have any grand parents left. My grand fathers I never met because the died in WOII on the line of duty. My parents were just about age 5 then.
I do believe there's life after this life on earth and that all people that left us are doing fine.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 5:35 am

Thanks Andi and Patrick!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, Rick. It was touching to read of your grandmother's influence in your life. I wish you and your family strength and comfort during this difficult time.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Sorry to hear that Rick.

I´ll my support to you and your family, from me, here in Spain.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 am

Thank you Spanish D and Rick for the kind words.
Back to top Go down
straytatoo30

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi all

Unfortuantely my dad 's parents passed away when I was really young, never had the chance to meet them,

It seems they were really close, no Tv in those days, my grandmother gave birth to 16 kids only 10 survived at birth and my dad was the 9 th child.

From mums side , I was fortuntate to spend quality time with grandma until her death in 2000. Granpa passed away again when I was really young, we are blessed with the great times we spend with our grandparents.

cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The grandparents thread   The grandparents thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The grandparents thread
Page 1 of 1