Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nocturne ARRIVED!

Go down 
+2
christopher
ruger9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ruger9

ruger9

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 11:42 am

Going to go run thru the gears now... will be back with a review later...

BTW Tavo- really really fine work. You didn't mess around. Top notch everything, all 'round. And it's beautiful.

As for the review, I've got a Hot Rod with TVJ Classics, and I will be running into a Genz Benz Black Pearl, which is a Vox AC30 variant. So it's not a blonde bassman, but most of us who will be using the Nocturne prolly don't have blondes... YET. I'll be running guitar->Nocturne->delay (Echo Park, AD999)->amp.

Will report back!
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm

OK...

1st... NOW I KNOW WHY MY TV JONES NEVER SOUND LIKE BRIAN'S!! It's that damn preamp. The preamp lends some kind of a midrange sweetness, hard to describe, makes everything sound slightly less scooped, a little more beefy. But still retains all that clarity. It's something I've never really been able to accomplish with the amp's EQ section. This is definitely something I have noticed in Brian's live sound for awhile now, but could never get it... tried overdrives, tried the Timmy, everything seemed to "touch" the tone too much, or sound like an overdrive. The Nocturne adds that cool mids presence without boosting gain (unless you want it to).

2nd... THANK YOU FOR THE BASS ROLLOFF! It works GREAT for those of us dealing with open-back combos. It really helps alot.

3rd... you want that pinstriped Hot Rod "Ignition" sound once in awhile? No problem... and no OD pedal needed. Just turn the gain up on the Nocturne, and there's more mids & more drive at your command. To me, kinda' sounds like putting Supertrons in your axe! Very cool!

4th... it cleans up really well. Turn your guitar's volume knob down to 8-9, and it cleans up REALLY well. You can go from "Cats On A Hot Tin Roof" to "My Favorite Things" with just a small turn of the vol knob. And I have no "volume kit"/"treble bleed" on my vol knob.

Now, I realize I JUST got this thing, but I have been studying Setzer's tone for years, and while I have never had the cash to get a 6G6-B yet (I will someday), I have constanly worked at getting his live BSO tone. I've tried ALOT of different drives & delays. Short of getting a real 301 or 6G6-B, this thing really IS a key part of the equation. I heard & felt it instantly. Like... "there IT is!! THAT'S what I've been waiting to hear! I KNEW something was missing." Now all I need is a Blonde Bassman, and I'll be in 7th Heaven. (and maybe a TTE, but don't get me started... Laughing )

One suggestion Tavo: on the website & in the literature, you really only discuss the Blonde, but you should also let people know this thing also works similarly with other amps... No, it won't turn a Les Paul & a Marshall into a Gretsch hollow & a Blonde, but if you've got TVJs, and you're looking for that "Setzer Sound", regardless of your amp choice the Nocturne definitely helps. Definitely sends you down the right road a little more than you were before. You mentioned somewhere that this "ain't the cowboy gretsch sound"... I'd say what it does is take that "Cowboy" Gretsch sound, which is cool, and turns it into the "Setzer Grestch" sound.
Back to top Go down
christopher

christopher

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks for the review, very much appreciated. I'm lookin' forward to receive one as well but it'll take a little longer I guess, I'm living far away from Tavo's. I'd really love to hear what it sounds like through your rig, couldn't you possibly upload a short snippet?
Chrr
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:46 am

Got mine too! Like Nikko, only got to look at it, not play through it yet. I ordered the purple one and it is beautiful. It's worth having just for the pin-striping. Definitely a collector's item in the years to come.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
ruger9

ruger9

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 am

Sorry, I don't have any means for recording clips.
Back to top Go down
christopher

christopher

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 am

ruger9 wrote:
Sorry, I don't have any means for recording clips.
Never mind!Sad
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:52 pm

CHAPTER 2:
OTHER GUITARS

So, today I was running thru the gears on the Nocturne, but this time with my TELE... well, surprise surprise. I've discovered an interesting "side effect", if you will. Something the circuit maybe wasn't designed to do, but does anyway...

FAT BOOST. Yep, like a clean boost (even tho Tavo specifically says it's a PREAMP not a BOOST), you can get unity gain up to some extra gritsch, and because of the circuit design there's some added bass too.. that's the "fat" part. With the bass rolloff on the Nocturne, adjust to taste.

I've owned quite a few clean boosts in my time, looking for the "FAT boost with just a little added gain", and the Nocturne does it as good or better than all of them.

Fulltone FatBoost (v.1 and v.2)
RC Booster
Dragon Boost
Demeter Fat Control
OD-820 (supposed to do what a Klon does)
Sparkle Drive (functions kind of like a Klon)

You notice I mention the Klon a couple times. I've never owned a Klon, but it seems the most popular use of a Klon is a "fat, cleanish boost, adding just a little dirt." That's what the Nocturne can do. I'm NOT COMPARING IT TO THE KLON. But, just plug in your tele, or strat, or even HB guitar- dial up your usual rhythm sound, kick on the Nocturne, twiddle the 2 knobs, and just see if you don't like what happens... Cool
Back to top Go down
elvis

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:19 am

hello
scratch Everybody watches for videos or mp3 of the ncturne -pedal
elvis
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:28 pm

My Nocturne Pedal arrived this morning cheers

Apart from myself I know Pistol Pete has one, does that mean there are only 2 down here in Australia?

Quick question, I use a Visual Sound Volume Pedal 1st in line, should the Noctune go before or after?

This is my current setup below, (the GE7 might go, I only use it for added Twang to my 6120 for certain songs.)

[img]Nocturne ARRIVED! 09112009[/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 8:28 am

Burriss makes the sweetest ts808!! I would indeed keep the nocturne hearing your
pickups first... dont know what a vol pedal would do infront of it. I'll have to grab my
80s morley and see..
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Sponsored content

Nocturne ARRIVED! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nocturne ARRIVED!   Nocturne ARRIVED! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nocturne ARRIVED!
Page 1 of 1