Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hollywood Nocturne

Go down 
+7
JC
Brett
mjcodina
Patrick
matt
webelvis
Davy Jones
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:30 pm

Here be another Christmas present for all of ye guitar players out there. I have completed another unofficial Setzer transcription, this one due to popular request by many of you from both forums, including Daddio, TV, WebElvis, Brett, Ponczek007, among others.

So, here it be matey's, in my opinion, the best B.S.O. song ever done, transcribed for electric and acoustic guitars as well as vocals.

Hollywood Nocturne (off the Dirty Boogie album, key of E minor)

Hollywood Nocturne.pdf

I am running short on time today, so I will either put up another post, or re-edit this one within the next few days discussing the musical analysis and technical playing tips, but I wanted all of you to have the .pdf file as soon as I finished with it, so I'm dispensing with all the other stuff and just posting it now.

Enjoy it.

Capt. Jones

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, as promised before, here goes the analysis:

According to the Dirty Boogie liner notes, Setzer actually recorded this song during the sessions for the Guitar Slinger album back in 1995. So, he used those musicians instead of the ones on the rest of the Dirty Boogie album. Why this song wasn't put on Guitar Slinger as originally penned, I don't know, but given the fact that there are 3-4 diff. versions of that album (counting Japanese releases), I guess I can see where that track may have gotten lost in the shuffle, especially with the change from Hollywood Records to Interscope clouding things up as well. Regardless, I'm glad he finally released it, the inclusion of that song really was the highlight among highlights of the Dirty Boogie album. Also, and RockyMountainCat would know for sure, I don't think this tune has ever been performed live. That probably has to do with the mix of acoustic and electric guitars, however, if the BSO ever performs in the ocean somewhere (i.e. cruise ship) perhaps I'll volunteer to sit in on acoustic gtr. if he agrees to play this song, as I think I know the arrangement. (Ha!Ha!Ha!) Ok, enough joking around, here's some tips on how to play the song.

Hollywood Nocturne (Key of Em) Performance Notes

1. I arranged the song for one acoustic and one electric guitar, however, I believe that in spots (i.e. intro.), Setzer actually overdubs a second acoustic guitar. For simplicity, I combined the two acoustics into one line on the arrangement, and that contains 95% of the music performed, but I just want to make everyone aware, in case ye hear something a bit different on the record when playing through the piece.

2. Unless you play this with another guitarist, you might want to switch between the acoustic and electric parts on your electric (i.e. neck and bridge pickups, effects pedals, etc.) by playing the lead lines during the solos, and then going to the acoustic rhythm parts during the verses.

3. I notated the song pretty much line for line, but you might want to improvise the rhythm lines, as they are pretty extensive. The rhythm work is actually the harder of the two, especially to hear clearly under all of the orchestra.

4. Once ye play through the melody (lead gtr. and vocal), if ye like, it will be easier to transcribe the orchestra parts, as they embellish the melody.

Song Analysis

The form is a modified jazz standard (AAB), where I've notated AA as being the 1st 16 bars of the Intro. & Verses after the 4-bar intro. and/or transitions, and B as the 8-bar descending, modulating section or Pre-Chorus (as I've labeled it), with the transitions after the 1st and 2nd Verses as the Chorus (as I've labeled it).

Intro.
The 1st chord is Em9, followed by an altered minor chord D#m(maj7) that suggests either the E harmonic minor or E melodic minor scale. He pretty much plays various positions and extensions of these chords throughout the song. The lead gtr. plays a form of the melody based on the E minor scale with two extensions (the b5, Bb, and the #7, D#). Same for the saxophone, which I notated for guitar. At the end of the 16 bar AA sections, the next 8-bar section B comes into play:

Am-Am(maj7)-Am7-Am6-D7-Gmaj7-Abm7-Db7-Gbmaj7-Gm7-C7-Fmaj7-F#m7-B7#9

If ye recall, the descending line from the Am chords is a Setzer-favorite as he used the same progression in Jade Idol with the Stray Cats. From there, he back-cycles through the keys of G, Gb, and F, before returning to Em via a ii-V change. The lead line and vocal line later follow those changes.

1st Transition
After the Em9 arpeggio, it was really tough to hear the accompanying G-chord, so I may be off here, but I think this is another part where he overdubs.

1st Verse, Pre-Chorus, and Chorus
Follows the intro. form with chordal alterations. The chorus is played slightly differently than the 1st transition.

Sax Solo
Rhythm comping similar to intro. and verses, however, he only plays one A section before the B section.

Bridge
Ok, here under the Em9-A9#11, Dm9-G9#11 changes, I arranged the acoustic guitar, with an eye toward keeping time, and as it's hard to hear it under the electric and piano, towards incorporating the piano line as well. The ascending augmented chords were also inundated with the orchestra, so I tried to capture what the guitars were doing there as well. The theory behind that line, to me, is he's outlining an Edim7 chord (E, G, Bb, C#).

Gtr. Solo
Again, he shifts between E minor and E harmonic minor, mainly at 7th position. Great solo, and although not his hardest to play, one of the best, primarily because it focuses on restating the melody instead of just cramming licks, one of the secrets of jazz soloing.

2nd Verse, Pre-Chorus, and Chorus
A crescending volume swelled feedbacked electric guitar line (D#-E) opens the 2nd Verse, which follows the 1st with more embellishments (note the arpeggios played in the 1st A section and the Harmonics played in the 2nd A-section). The Pre-Chorus and Chorus echo the 1st Verse, while he ends the song with a higher melody note. As the orchestra fades out, a couple of horns play notes from an Em9 chord, while an acoustic guitar plays a fast run up the Em and E dorian scales (C# instead of C) to finish the song.

Well, that about covers it. Again, I hope everyone enjoys the song, keep in mind that it's tough, especially the acoustic part, but well worth learning in my opinion.

As always, any comments, questions, or corrections, feel free to post em. Thanks to all those who've posted so far as well.

Capt. Jones

Last edited by Davy Jones on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added in musical analysis (playing tips))
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Davy I love you!!
Thanks a lot for all that great stuff!!!
Can't wait to start playing it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
matt

matt

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for that Davy
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Great man!!
I guessed the intro chords right!
Rock on!
Cool

matt wrote:
Thanks for that Davy

By the way I like the 1990 Aston Martin Vantage/Virage more...
pig
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 10:08 pm

great cause i was just in a restaurant this evening and i could have swore i heard it. its been in my head ever since
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Brett

Brett

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:17 am

A X-mas Gift by the Captain... Thank you very much!

(but we donĀ“t have to work for the next 100 years on board? Shocked )
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
JC

JC

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 4:16 am

Excellent!!!!!!

Thank you Captain
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Daddio

Daddio

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 9:05 am

Eddie Lee was a little miffed at first, but, I got him calmed down! He can be quite the hothead sometimes! Rolling Eyes
-Daddio
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 am

Daddio wrote:
Eddie Lee was a little miffed at first, but, I got him calmed down! He can be quite the hothead sometimes! Rolling Eyes
-Daddio

dude...what are you talking about? Shocked

thanks DJ for the tab, you are right Hollywood nocturne is indeed the best BSO
tune, with awesome guitar tone. so much so I'm basing my pedal on it.
The original version "harlem nocturne" composed by Earle Hagen that Setzer aped really makes you feel like a spy hiding in the shadows of some dark rainy alley.

here's 42 other versions of the original:
Hollywood Nocturne 42-versions-of-harlem-nocturne
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for that clip TV! That was awesome!
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:04 pm

[quote="tvthewiredturtle"]
Daddio wrote:
-Daddio

dude...what are you talking about? Shocked

Really, TV. If you have to ask, it's too much for you, brother! Oohhh, what's that whooshing noise goin' past your head?
Seriously, don't take this stuff so seriously, man! Smile
BTW: "Dude" ? Really? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Wow, great!!! bounce

Thanks for the pdf, Davy! (BTW: Which software do you use for tabbing?)

and thanks to TV for the Clip. I strongly recommend listening to the Danny Gatton version, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hollywood Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hollywood Nocturne   Hollywood Nocturne Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hollywood Nocturne
Page 1 of 1