Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Robbie Williams Fan Forum

Go down 
+7
RadiationSteve
nietsk
JC
Guitarmaniac
Andi
Brett
Rickabilly
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Empty
PostSubject: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 am

Man With The Magic Touch wrote:
I guess you are all wrong concerning Robbie.... the fact that he does drugs and all that shit doesnt meant he is not a good singer.

He loves jazz & swing and rock n roll music. If you have a look at a DVD called The Robbie Williams Show, you will see that all the decoration is based on Elvis 68 CBS, the Jailhouse Rock clip, etc.

He is a wonderful entertainer, a nice singer and even better song-writer...

I don't care about what he does in his private life, but when it comes to music, he is one of the kings of the whole damn world!

Rickabilly, if you don't like what is posted here by other members of this forum, just don't post. Sometimes the thread tittles are not a "closed path", they can deviate to other topics and honestly, Rick, I am completely sick of your always having to be the man with the last word and the only one who seems to be correct in here... If an occasional visitor reads this topic, I don't care about what he/she might think because we are not talking exactly about "Why I am not buying the new album", but we did talk about it and them, we commented on other issues.

Shall we start a new topic on the "Other Artists" section or on the "Off Topic" any bloody time that we slightly change the subject????? This would be honestly, endless... oh, excuse me, I need to start 10 new posts to deal with whatsoever I have in my mind lol!

You're excused. lol! (The universal emoticon that supposedly takes the edge off any comment)

OK, Jon. Here's your Robbie Williams thread. BTW, I have never said opposing opinions are wrong. If that's how a person truly feels about something, their opinion cannot be right or wrong. If I address a specific opinion with a differing opinion, I am not attacking them or telling them they don't have a right to their opinion, I'm just offering mine. I'm not saying my opinion is right or better than anyone's. It's just my opinion.

You've actually got me intrigued about this Robbie Williams fellow. Admittedly, I know nothing about him, but would like to know more. I don't begrudge people their personal failings, or particularly give a rip about Wikipedia summaries and tabloid nonsense, but that DVD sounds very interesting. Tell me more about him. Other than the one-off swing album, is he primarily Brit-pop, or does he have a rockin' side? Are their other artists to whom you would compare him, or does he constantly change from album-to-album?
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:18 am

Robbie is big in Europe but he never made it in the US.
He is a good entertainer and i liked the Swing Show.
But his normal thing it imho...eh...to much british?...no, that`s not correct...too much calculated pop music.

Last week he did a free live show in berlin. but what i heard it wasn`t very good.
I guess, it was a mistake. He needs the big stage, the Vidi-wall, the pyro and the big lights.
And i donĀ“t like his permanent statements like : "oh, it so hard to be a popstar, the drugs, the girls, the money, i am so depressive...!"
Hey...ask the people of GM and Opel what is really hard.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I don't begrudge people their personal failings, or particularly give a rip about Wikipedia summaries and tabloid nonsense

When it comes to learning about artists that are new to me I have found Wikipedia immensely helpful. It often provides a performer's history, influences, background and other useful information in a more insightful way than, perhaps, their own shiny, slickly-written website would. Williams first gained stardom as a member of a popular British boy band. That much is probably on his website. An unfiltered recap of the direction, reception and performance of every single one of his albums, however, probably is not. Both bits of information lend insight to his musical choices. The Wikipedia information might be more helpful in determining what album to buy though.

What little I've heard - even some of the stupid pop stuff - I actually really like. But, as Brett has already pointed out, Williams himself spouts his own tabloid nonsense. It's tough to simply enjoy someone's music when they insist on making a public ass of themselves at every turn, writing songs about how controversial they are, etc. I'd love to just enjoy the guy's music.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

And for a look at the wide variety of stuff Williams does..

Mr Bojangles:

Rudebox:

South of the Border (Brit-rock, not Sinatra):

Take That:
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:53 pm

I really like his swing stuff, he has a good voice. My sister used to be a big fan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:34 pm

I suppose when someone is the global phenomenon that Robbie Williams is, Wikipedia will have a lot of useful information. I've been frequently frustrated with Wikipedia when looking for information on lesser-known artists, i.e. older rockabillies. What I meant was, I wanted to hear from people who were enthusiastic about his music, as the people who are more dismissive usually haven't taken the time to provide any sort of thoughtful insight into the music they hate. Why would they? Life's too short for that!

But y'all have done something much more effective I hadn't mentioned, and that's presenting the actual music. Man, that cat's all over the map musically. Not half bad, either.

Luckily, I haven't been exposed to all that tabloid stuff yet, so I can focus on the music.

Thanks for the introduction!
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Youre right Rick. If you don't care about all the press stuff about him and only watch the music you can see he's a great entertainer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Robbie Williams does a great version of 'Sweet Gene Vincent'!
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 4:14 am

Hi Rick...

here is the Sweet Gene Vincent version done by Robbie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdQLueVeJeo

And another some nice songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gcXFQNeOMY (Something Beautiful)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKoq-9IgI8 (Let Me Entertain You - to me, his best song!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycRDb7qrEo&feature=PlayList&p=B87A90F3959F43D3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10 (have a look at the 68CBS deco!)

Aye, he is mainly a pop singer, I wouldn't say Brit Pop because that would be mainly Oasis and Blur, just a f**** wonderful pop singer.
He needs the big stage, the lights.... that's how he feels better, nonetheless those small venue concerts are good as well.

Apart from being a pop star, he plays rock and swing, and he includes some swing/rock songs during his shows. You can easily have a look on youtube and you will discover how great he is.
What he says or not, I don't really care as long as he makes some good albums.

Same with Brian... I don't really care what he does or says, but I'm grand if he makes a decent album.

Enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 12:57 pm

He is a wonderful entertainer, a nice singer and even better song-writer...

I think it is well known that Robbie does not write his own songs. I believe a man called Guy Chambers does it for him..

I'm not a fan of Robbie but I hope you enjoy the music you like.
Can't withstand to share with you a video that made me giggle though:

Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Nietsk,
you are partially right... but Robbie does write his own stuff together with the other songwriter you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 4:34 pm

This is the only R.W. song i like.....probably because i've heard it so many time. I think this is his most famous and biggest song.
Prefer Darius but each to his own when we're discussing 'pop' music.
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Ematt

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:25 am

As Liam Gallagher once said of Williams, "the fat dancer from "Take That".

File under cheaky chappy novelty music for young girls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Robbie is not for young girls only.... and he was the only one from Take That who has really made it!! Now Take That are reunited (or they made a comeback not long ago) but without Robbie they are nothing. Robbie is wonderful, not only for young and desperate teenagers, but for many people too.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:39 am

your right Robbie Williams is not only for young girls, he's got a huge gay following and they are obsessed with him in the club scene.
Kinda like Cher, in the States.. but Cher isnt gay.

hmmmmm.. The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:53 am

Why are you so f**** obssesed with gay people???
Are you one of them who has yet to get of the closet or so???
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Why are you so f**** obssesed with gay people???
Are you one of them who has yet to get of the closet or so???

that is so gay.... The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Fresse
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 pm

That is so gay from your side lol!

You think you are smart, but you are giving yourself away, mate.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:19 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
That is so gay from your side lol!

You think you are smart, but you are giving yourself away, mate.

you're right. I'm left The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:49 pm

You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear...
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:

Is that a spanish thing, something lost in translation? The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

It is an English saying.... and basically, it means that you can't ask for more when you know that it is impossible to get that more... but anyway smart alec, I don't like wasting my time with this kind of silly things
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:

The idiom is 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'
which means 'If something isn't very good to start with, you can't do much to improve it.'
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:56 pm

yep... I'm 44 and there is nothing in my innate psyche that takes gaydom seriously... but ehhh.. if I dont paint it funny, I cant process that realm of weird. I shouldnt have added my 2 cents to this thread, its a given.

we now return you to the wonderful world of Rickabilly digesting the new world view of non american pop icons The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_clown
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:57 pm

This whole direction of conversation reminds me of a favorite quote...

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Wink

Carry on,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Robbie Williams Fan Forum   The Robbie Williams Fan Forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Robbie Williams Fan Forum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next