Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?

Go down 
+11
Spanishdavid
I'm Incinerator
scatcatcnut
tvthewiredturtle
Aussie_Sam
Patrick
mjcodina
vic
gretschoholic
Andi
fintanbk
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jess

Jess

Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 am

The World's Greatest Living Guitarist

To me these things are a joke, best album ever, best guitarist ever...... In the end it's about what you like best yourself.
Must have been done the first time by some kind of a magazin, just to sell more. Sorry just the way I look at it
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 am

scatcatcnut wrote:
I'm gonna weigh in here as well against Jack White -surely the most over-rated guitarist of modern times. I've already posted a similar rant on the other artists page -but c'mon folks -as I said elsewhere -blues for people who've never heard a real blues record. All the indy kids reading NME thinking something new is happening - IT'S NOT!

I have to puts some yang on your yin.. Smile Led Zep's Jimmy Page wasnt anything "new", it was a total ripoff but Jimmy had different "eyes" than the old delta blues men plus he knew how to market. Thats why he hired a yong singing model named Robert Plant to
front the band...

To me as a kid, that sh$t WAS ssoooo new, so cool, so damn loud and angry!

All to say, I was amused when that first White stripe Lego video came out BECAUSE
it made my oldest son (then like 5 -6yrs old) pay attention to the music. The Lego video made my son PAY ATTENTION to what the artist was playing.
Then when he decided to take his guitar seriously a few yrs ago.. He started "hearing" the blues in that music.. just way louder and powerful...

here is the total kicker that happened 5 seconds ago. I'm cracking up right now..

I'm posting to this thread going on an on about how led zep made me search out the
delta blues men (I'm sitting in the living room ) and my oldest boy (now 13) goes walking down the hall with his Ipod and headphones, strummin this "riff" unplugged, on his strat.. He is beating out this thing over and over, so I stop him and yell "are you trying to learn that main riff in aerosmiths "train kept a rollin?".. he takes off his
headphones and goes "noooo dad its Girl Who Has No Faith in Medicine by Jack White"

holy crap... there it is.. THERE IT IS. ..this is awesome! Thank you JACK WHITE
for speakin to the young kids your language of the rock n roll history story!!
ps. now I gotta go grab him and let him read this thread.
there is nothing NEW under the sun - king solomon, OT
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
scatcatcnut wrote:
I'm gonna weigh in here as well against Jack White -surely the most over-rated guitarist of modern times. I've already posted a similar rant on the other artists page -but c'mon folks -as I said elsewhere -blues for people who've never heard a real blues record. All the indy kids reading NME thinking something new is happening - IT'S NOT!

I have to puts some yang on your yin.. Smile Led Zep's Jimmy Page wasnt anything "new", it was a total ripoff but Jimmy had different "eyes" than the old delta blues men plus he knew how to market. Thats why he hired a yong singing model named Robert Plant to
front the band...

All to say, I was amused when that first White stripe Lego video came out BECAUSE
it made my oldest son (then like 5 -6yrs old) pay attention to the music. The Lego video made my son PAY ATTENTION to what the artist was playing.
Then when he decided to take his guitar seriously a few yrs ago.. He started "hearing" the blues in that music.. just way louder and powerful...

here is the total kicker that happened 5 seconds ago. I'm cracking up right now..

I'm posting to this thread going on an on about how led zep made me search out the
delta blues men (I'm sitting in the living room ) and my oldest boy (now 13) goes walking down the hall with his Ipod and headphones, strummin this "riff" unplugged, on his strat.. He is beating out this thing over and over, so I stop him and yell "are you trying to learn that main riff in aerosmiths "train kept a rollin?".. he takes off his
headphones and goes "noooo dad its Girl Who Has No Faith in Medicine by Jack White"

Hey, it took me nearly 29 years and one of the best cover/tribute bands I've ever seen to "get" Zep. The tribute band (The Song Remmains The Same out of Omaha, NE) is crazy on how "on" they are. After seeing them a few times, I got the urge to get the Led out on my own time and I bought the MOthership Collection...which is still missing some key songs IMO.

So a spring and summer filled with the guitar stylings of Page, White, Auerbach, Hendrix, and Gibbons- I was working on those blues rock riffs...and to this day "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Angel" give me goose bumps, crazy.

Maybe I need to get some MK I, MK II, MK III tone benders? haha
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
scatcatcnut wrote:

front the band...

Hey, it took me nearly 29 years and one of the best cover/tribute bands I've ever seen to "get" Zep. The tribute band (The Song Remmains The Same out of Omaha, NE) is crazy on how "on" they are. After seeing them a few times, I got the urge to get the Led out on my own time and I bought the MOthership Collection...which is still missing some key songs IMO.

So a spring and summer filled with the guitar stylings of Page, White, Auerbach, Hendrix, and Gibbons- I was working on those blues rock riffs...and to this day "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Angel" give me goose bumps, crazy.

btw.. this might be for the cave, JMI is re-issuing those tonebenders..the markII is
freakin awesome.
..and yes you speak truth Omaha man.. the Wind Cries Mary!! give redman many goosebumps, make him miss walking with Mary many days. cyclops
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
scatcatcnut wrote:

front the band...

btw.. this might be for the cave, JMI is re-issuing those tonebenders..the markII is
freakin awesome.
..and yes you speak truth Omaha man.. the Wind Cries Mary!! give redman many goosebumps, make him miss walking with Mary many days. cyclops

I saw that. Solasound/Colorsound also has a reissue out of the MKII built by the guy who makes D*A*M pedals. Pricey, but other worldly from what I hear. It seems like there are a few guys making some rad benders, fuzzfaces, and other vintage type fuzzes these days- Skin Pimp, Lumpy's Tone Shop, Deviltone, Creepy Fingers, etc.

I've been a Hendrix fan for most of my life, and I remember when I was 20 and driving to school and had Hendrix playing...those were some great times.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:

I've been a Hendrix fan for most of my life, and I remember when I was 20 and driving to school and had Hendrix playing...those were some great times.

"this may be love" does it for me.. Ironically I was turned on to Hendrix
when I was 20, but it was because of my Fascination with
The Red Hot Chili Peppers influence of Hendrix. Thank you Frusciante
for being my childhood Jack White.

btw.. Ever hear the Stray Cats layin out "train kept a rollin"?
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm

"Little wing" is still one of my favorites tunes and "Voodoo Chile" of Electric Ladyland incl. Steve Winnwood playing organ.
These guys were completly stoned this night but played like hell.

"Train kept a rollin" by Stray Cats (Original Cool) is nearly Punk...or Psycho? bounce

@TV: how late is it in S-Cal?
I`m starting to work now... Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Brett wrote:
"Little wing" is still one of my favorites tunes and "Voodoo Chile" of Electric Ladyland incl. Steve Winnwood playing organ.
These guys were completly stoned this night but played like hell.

"Train kept a rollin" by Stray Cats (Original Cool) is nearly Punk...or Psycho? bounce

@TV: how late is it in S-Cal?
I`m starting to work now... Shocked

its 11:40pm... Just turned off the soldering iron!! Smile

ps. listen to Stings version of Little Wing, he's always been a fan
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Brilliant, brilliant version. He also does a great live version of Purple Haze (though it's got that refined British Stingness about the vocals that just don't quiiiite suit Wink)
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Wow...9 hours. Have a good night and don´t forget to unplug...

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Yes, i know that, it`s from the 80ies and a bit jazzy.
Imho top of all cover version is the SRV instrumental.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Wow...9 hours. Have a good night and don´t forget to unplug...

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Yes, i know that, it`s from the 80ies and a bit jazzy.
Imho top of all cover version is the SRV instrumental.

without question SRV took that and made it BELONG to
his own SOUL.. Classic case of the re-do being better than
the original! I have absorb that recording deep into my
psyche.
Back to top Go down
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 am

Roots
1. Nick Curran
2. Redd Volkhart
3. Roy Clark
Rock:
1. Warner Hodges
2. Malcolm Young
3. Angus Young
Other (pop etc)
1. Johnny Marr (smiths)
2. Marc Ribot (tom waits)
3. Duane Denison (jesus Lizard, Hank 3, Tomahawk, Legendary Shack Shakers)
Metal:
1. Adrian Young/Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
2. Dime
3. James Hetfield. (so what if he don't play lead. deadliest right hand in metal)
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 am

Bigbassape wrote:

2. Malcolm Young
3. Angus Young

Malcom before Angus? Cool
but i agree.
What he´s doing is awesome.
Rhythm like a steam mashine.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 am

Bigbassape wrote:
Roots

3. James Hetfield. (so what if he don't play lead. deadliest right hand in metal)

I am not anti-solo guy at all but finally someone speaks the truth!!

I have waaay more respect for guitarists that tow a tight groove,
command metronome perfect timing and hold the band together
than some flashy sloppy bastard with a hand full of lead riffs and finger
acrobatics.

You can walk into any guitar center and spot "The wankers" instantly. They
bleed false bravado and insecurity like a stuck pig. pirat
Back to top Go down
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Bigbassape wrote:
Roots

I am not anti-solo guy at all but finally someone speaks the truth!!

I have waaay more respect for guitarists that tow a tight groove,
command metronome perfect timing and hold the band together
than some flashy sloppy bastard with a hand full of lead riffs and finger
acrobatics.

You can walk into any guitar center and spot "The wankers" instantly. They
bleed false bravado and insecurity like a stuck pig. pirat

The rhythm guys never get any love. Malcom Young is amazing. and his lead work back on the jailbreak record was great too.
Hetfield plays parts that are so intricate they boggle the mind, and he sings while he does it.

i get burned on wanking.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 am

Check this out, the amazing rhythm work is good to hear up from 04:09.
Without this E major chord the solo of Angus were not the same.

Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 am

Holy crap we did it. According to a post on Facebook Brian was voted the world's greatest living guitarist in that dbTwang poll.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:28 am

Andi wrote:
Holy crap we did it. According to a post on Facebook Brian was voted the world's greatest living guitarist in that dbTwang poll.

somethings are just unatural and creepy? what stripper poll was this? the Twang? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 pm

http://blog.dbtwang.com/greatest-living-guitarist-poll-the-results/

From the blog, which seemed to be down for most of the morning (probably due to the 16,000 Setzer fans from Facebook storming it):

Quote :
We’ve had a great time running this the first of a series of polls we are planning around guitars and guitarists and we’ve also learnt a lot on the way about the power of social media and the online guitar community with much of the voting traffic coming from posts on Facebook and fan forums.

So yeah, obviously this poll doesn't show that Setzer is the Greatest Living Guitarist. It shows he's got the most active online community of fans amongst the guitarists the blog listed for the voters to choose from. Interestingly, of those 16,000 Facebook fans, only 351 of them actually put in a vote for Setzer. Here's the top 10:

Quote :

1st: Brian Setzer – 351 votes

2nd: Joe Bonamassa – 208

3rd: Eric Clapton – 176

4th: Tommy Emanuel – 129

5th: Jeff Beck – 131

6th: Jimmy Page – 119

7th: Eddie Van Halen – 87

8th: BB King – 78

9th: John Mayer – 74

10th: Steve Vai – 73

And my boy Jack White didn't even place in the top 20. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?   Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian - The World's Greatest Living Guitarist?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2