Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive

Go down 
+14
Budgie
Pistol Pete
Sharky
tvthewiredturtle
penguin
Brett
steve
MJ
johnnykool327
donpepe
Twenty Flight Rick
Scatman
gretschoholic
Rickabilly
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brett

Brett

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
B

If Tony Pia had started a metal band with Brian, then I think you truly couldn't compare Bernie and Tony. That would be a different band, a different style of music, and the comparisons would be unfair. But the fact is Tony Pia occupies a spot in the same rockin' BIG BAND that his formidable predecessor, Bernie Dresel, did. The same spot, the same songs... comparisons are only natural, although the difference in styles, backgrounds, and abilities might make it somewhat difficult.

Bernicophant-a-billy

from this point of view, you´re right.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Brian, Bernie and Mark = Magic.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
I don't think anyone here has said in this thread or on this board that Tony Pia is a bad drummer.

He's DEFINITELY not a bad drummer, but I just wanna add my two cents about what makes me prefer Bernie's grooves:

It's what they do on the snare that really makes the difference. As far as I can tell from recordings I've heard (and seen, thanks to various youtube clips + of course the latest Montreal appearance), Tony plays only the backbeat (the second and fourth beat of the bar) on the snare, while Bernie played a two-hand shuffle on most of the stuff. Almost like ghost notes in between the two's and four's. I have no better way of explaining what I mean, since I don't know the technical terms in English... But if you watch for instance "Mystery Train" from the Live In Japan DVD, you'll see that Bernie plays a rather busy groove on the snare with his left hand throughout the song, while "driving" the cymbal with his right hand. I'm not a drummer myself, but out of all the drummers I've played with through the years, I have two favourites, and they both did - and do - the same. It makes the beat more interesting, and adds some extra life to the songs IMO.

That said, the version of "Gina" on DMWABB is probably my favourite version so far. Again, the magic is in the snare. Tony plays pretty much the same groove as Ringo did on "Get Back", and it drives the song so much more than using the floor tom, like Slim Jim does.

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:43 pm

sidelake bob wrote:
Brian, Bernie and Mark = Magic.

Absolutely!

cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Interesting discussion, and I'm trying to come up with material for an emotional uprising, but I'm falling short. I've been fortunate to see both drummers. My impression last Dec was that Tony was more rock oriented, and I enjoyed the show live. Listening on cd though, I hear Rickabilly's point. For a real side by side comparison though, I want to hear Tony on a rendition of Caravan, then I could give some insight. I think it's more than what's done exclusively on the snare, although Bernie is strong there. Listen to what Bernie's doing on those floor toms, especially in LIJ.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:
Interesting discussion, and I'm trying to come up with material for an emotional uprising, but I'm falling short. I've been fortunate to see both drummers. My impression last Dec was that Tony was more rock oriented, and I enjoyed the show live. Listening on cd though, I hear Rickabilly's point. For a real side by side comparison though, I want to hear Tony on a rendition of Caravan, then I could give some insight. I think it's more than what's done exclusively on the snare, although Bernie is strong there. Listen to what Bernie's doing on those floor toms, especially in LIJ.

yep caravan would be good.. and to play devils advocate.. member' that studio 54 whatever video when bern had a scary mustache and mullet plus there were other folks?.. I loved that vid but you could tell between that and Live in japan that the band found their voice, locked n loaded.. Maybe Tony is yet to dial that sh#t in?

..or maybe he just doesnt care to play like anyone but himself, and setzer said sure??
I just finished recording a 7 tune honkytonkabilly album and
this drummer's forte' is funk... he was mad because I kept going, I need " chicka BOOM chicka BOOM" not "BOOMchickaBOOM" ...but after a couple of runs he got it, cuz he was about the feel of his kit, not tied to the technical aspect ( counting measures,etc)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 pm

You are the man TV!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:45 am

It's a pity that Bernie decided to leave Brian, honestly. Tony is of course, a wonderful drummer but... I don't like him. It's the sound, the style... I don't know, but he doesn't seem to fit into the band... You can replace a saxophonist, trumpetist, bassist... but never a drummer. In fact, one of the reasons why many bands have a characteristic sound is mainly because of their drummer. Imagine AC/CD without Phil Rudd, Elvis Costello without Pete Thomas or The Knack without the first drummer, the late Bruce Gary... they wouldn't be the same and here, with the BSO it's just the same. No Bernie, no BSO sound.... but as you say, that's my two cents!
Back to top Go down
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 4:00 am

Wow.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 am

Slowly steering this back to the "From the Vaults" topic... As I said previously, before I got sidetracked on beating the drums, I am looking forward to the possibility of older live shows being released in the future. On the earlier shows from 1998 - 2003 (which may be too early to be in Surfdog's archive) the band was touring a lot more regularly, Brian's vocal range covered more ground, and many of the musicians in the band had been there for years. The economy was better, the BSO enjoyed greater commercial success, and I believe the energy and enthusiasm of the musicians was unsurpassed. However, with the Live in Japan DVD and the Ultimate Live Collection, this era may have been adequately documented in the eyes of Brian and Surfdog. By drawing from recordings of a more current lineup, it's a way to keep people interested in the future of the BSO. I'm not sure that was accomplished with DMWABB, but I think the Montreal Jazz Festival DVD will build a level of excitement for the next time the BSO hits the road. I know when I watched the webcast, I thought, "Man, this band's still got it!"

Listening to live recordings is a tough way to judge the BSO. So much of the live experience is visual, from the Vixens, to the horn choreography, to Tony's spinning tom gimmick, to Brian's magic fingers, charisma and stage presence ... there's a lot going on, more than just the music. Plus, when you're at a show, and something doesn't quite go according to plan, either you're less likely to notice, or if you do notice it, it bothers you less because you see the band laughing it off and having a good time. It's a communal experience that translates better on DVD than CD. Plus, if you have the space provided on the DVD, you can include the entire show, with in-between song banter, jokes, etc. For example, if they ever do a '68 CBS DVD, there's a bit where Brian brings out the double-necked guitar, and starts playing "Stairway to Heaven" to the delight of the audience, who obviously gets the joke. Without the visual of that guitar, the gag doesn't work as well.

Obviously, there are a lot more audio recordings than video sources out there, so I'll take what I can get. CDs, downloads, or DVDs, keep 'em coming!

Give 'em the real thing-a-billy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 am

It would be great if Surfdog could get teh rights to relase that Live In Japan 1999. I remember that show being broadcasted on TV and there is a bootlegs DVD circulating through Ebay from time to time... I really love that show... Hawai 5-0, Let The Good Times Roll, Mellow Saxophone, Brand New Cadillac... would be awesome!!

As for other possible live releases on CD... for sure something from the Nashvillains European Tour 2005!
Back to top Go down
brian blaut

PostSubject: about Tony's drumming   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm

I remember loving Tony during the Christmas tour show. He's a talented cat for sure.
BUT, while listening to the latest live CD, I find Tony's drumming a bit of a distraction, believe it or not. It seems EVERTHINGS a constant fill. He doesn't like to play a straight pattern for more than a second. He's like a guitar player that just plays lead, even over the rhythm parts. I don't 'feel' the beat as much. I can't get behind it as much as he seems to always be playing a constant fill. In stead of a driving, steady beat, it becomes a complex texture that's always changing in the background. I wish he'd calm it down a little - be a little more choice about when to use the fills and when to blend into the song. Funny, I NEVER notice these things. But I noticed it (before I read this thread) and cared enough to draw that opinion.
Back to top Go down
penguin

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Tony has been on tour with the Doobie Brothers this whole summer.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

Does that mean that Brian can put "Jesus Is Just Alright" in on the setlist for the next Christmas tour? santa

Ol' Black Water, Keep On Rollin'-billy
Back to top Go down
penguin

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Rickabilly wrote:

"Does that mean that Brian can put "Jesus Is Just Alright" in on the setlist for the next Christmas tour?"

LMAO!
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:05 am

Every new Brian record is to me like having an old friend stopping by for a visit.
Back to top Go down
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 3:48 am

Tony has been on tour with the Doobie Brothers this whole summer.
Somewhere on a Doobie Brother's message board someone is posting "...man, Tony just doesn't play "China Groove" the same way as John Hartman....." lol! (and yes I had to look up who DB's drummer was)
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 am

..could this mean TPia might be sportin' hair like Patrick Simmons now????
Back to top Go down
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Hey Scatman!   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 am

Scatman - which Doobie do you be?
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 2:33 am

gretschoholic wrote:

...but Bernie's in a whole 'nother league... Oh, and I miss Mark Winchester too... silent

Anders

You said it , man!

BB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive   Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Montreal DVD and Frampton, er, Christmas Comes Alive
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2