Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release

Go down 
+12
Diggey
gretschoholic
steve
Budgie
I'm Incinerator
Rickabilly
ruger9
Brett
mjcodina
tvthewiredturtle
johnnykool327
Twenty Flight Rick
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
I'm Incinerator

It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 2:14 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Budgie wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Its all gummy feeling...

Maybe you should just wash your hands...??

Suspect

Budg' ..I have the driest hands on the planet, not a sweaty guy thank God.

The problem with some guitars like this SSLVO, is that it is a production
model and is not truly 100 "Lacquer" finished. That would be to costly
and hand made.

So what they do is shoot the raw body with a filler/sealer that is urethane based.
Its a thin coat once finish sanding is applied and then the lacquer is shot..
So it can be marketed as "vintage lacquer finish" when its not technically true.

I have owned many guitars that have actual hand rubbed 100% lacquer finishes and
they are incredible.

I'm going to take this guitar to a luthier and have him refinish the neck as well as do the tvjones "pull the stock frets and replace with stainless steel setzer spec frets".
Its gonna set me back some $400 but.. I LOVE the sound of this guitar.

That sounds sweet. I'd love to have my SS redone in a dark gun metal gray metallic/sparkle and have some fatter frets on that neck.

TV I thought you weren't a big fan of the trestle braced sound?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Not for Brian Setzer sound thats true, soundpost rules for that Smile trestles are totally cool rockin sound for EVERYThing else but I will always favor my soundposted SSU from 99'
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Me too!
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 am

No Best Buys within 50 miles had it. So I ordered from Amazon... should be here in a few days. Looking VERY forward to it.

Still haven't bought the new Xmas album... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
steve

steve

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm

walmart only carries recordings of abused chinese factory workers and exploited
small town americans.

Hahaha---so true! My local Best Buy had it right out on display much to my suprise. The DVD? Awesome of course!
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 pm

steve wrote:
walmart only carries recordings of abused chinese factory workers and exploited
small town americans.

Hahaha---so true! My local Best Buy had it right out on display much to my suprise. The DVD? Awesome of course!

I was in the US in 2007 visiting my family in Williston, North Dakota, the same week as "Red Hot & Live" was released. The last time I was there (back in '86) they had a really good record store in town, but this time I had to try Walmart to get the album. The kid in the music department had never even heard about Brian Setzer ("uhhm, is that a band?"), or Brian Setzer Orchestra, let alone Stray Cats. Same story everywhere I checked BTW, not just Walmarts. A week later, I found a copy in New York. In a real record store. Twisted Evil

Now, the new DVD apparently isn't scheduled for a European release yet, but I've asked "my contact" at Surfdog's Norwegian distributor to tell me ASAP when he gets it. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I know another person asked, but does anyone know if they still plan to offer this as a CD/Itunes etc?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am

I am hopeful that with the Blu Ray and Euro Region DVD releases yet to come that the promised audio only version will soon appear. Apparently, my local newspaper's music critic agrees, saying that the DVD is so good, you can just put it on for the music:

Setzer, Diamond Shine On New Releases

By L. KENT WOLGAMOTT / Lincoln Journal Star JournalStar.com | Posted: Monday, November 1, 2010 11:35 pm

On DVD: The Brian Setzer Orchestra, "It's Gonna Rock 'Cause That's What I Do." Since 1990, Stray Cats top cat Brian Setzer has been putting a new/old spin on vintage rock 'n' roll, adding a Doc Severinsen-style big band to the rockabilly bass/drums/guitar format.

With 13 horns and a pair of female backing vocalists, one of whom is his wife, Setzer's orchestra brings some swing and blues, letting saxophone and trumpet add some punch while keeping Setzer's Gretsch guitar front and center - which is what keeps things rockin'.

This 100-minute DVD captures the BSO in concert last June at the Montreal Jazz Festival, where it played for 150,000 people. The set starts out heavy on BSO songs, reaching a quiet zenith with the Sinatra-esque ballad "Lonely Avenue."

Then the band disappears, leaving Setzer and a stand-up bassist and drummer to romp through some rockabilly. They pay tribute to his heroes Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent and tear through Stray Cat faves like "Stray Cat Strut" before bringing back the horns for a drive to the finish.

As concert DVDs go, "It's Gonna Rock ‘Cause That's What I Do" is very good. It actually rocks and captures much of Setzer's sweaty showmanship. He's as good as they get playing rock 'n' roll guitar, dresses the part and knows how to lead a band, entertaining and connecting with thousands blocks away from the stage - or sitting months later in a living room.

Setzer also has a live Christmas album with the Orchestra on the holiday market. That's a sign of how good the band is live. And it's why, after you've watched the DVD a couple times, you can just put it on for the music. Grade: A

For the record, this writer's been a huge fan of Lee Rocker's solo career, so it's nice to see the guy heap some praise Setzer's way.

Read All About It-billy

Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

I FINALLY watched it. Definitely a special show... those of us who gig (or used to) know when a show just goes completely "right."

To date, my FAVORITE LIVE SETZER TONE... previous to this it was the Xmas DVD, only when playing the SSLVO. I own a Hot Rod, and I love it, but I can tell my GAS for an SSLVO is never going to leave me...
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am

Diggey wrote:
I know another person asked, but does anyone know if they still plan to offer this as a CD/Itunes etc?

Apparently, it will be available on iTunes on Nov 9, according to the New Year's Eve pre-sale email I just received:
Quote :

:: UPDATE
You asked for it, so now we're gonna deliver it! It's Gonna Rock... on Blu-ray, Double-CD CD, and iTunes!!

We're rolling these new formats out over the next couple of months. The MP3 album is going to be available for download on iTunes starting November 9th.

Stay tuned for more info on the Blu-ray and CD... you'll be the first to know when these awesome versions will be released.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am

ya.. and NOW ITS GONNA BE RELEASED as a @#$%& BLU-RAY dvd... so glad
I bought the first one in non blu-ray. So I have to sell it ..anybody want one
shipped nice and cheap?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm

How's the audio? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 am

House work is done, coffee is ready,
i`m gonna watch the show NOW.
The press conference was very interesting.

edit: fantastic show. BSO at their best. The DVD volumen is a bit low indeed but the overall sound is perfect. The shots, pictures and cuts are pretty cool. The stage light was excellent. The canadian crowd were awesome.
THE DVD of the year!

Last edited by Brett on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : after watching the DVD)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 am

I love Bernie, but I'm sorry, Tony Pia really rocked that show.
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 am

Brent wrote:
I love Bernie, but I'm sorry, Tony Pia really rocked that show.

Yep, he did.
Btw, i was trying to find you. Are you in?
Back to top Go down
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 8:21 am

I can usually be seen when they show a wide shot of the front of the stage. I'm the tall person to the left of the stage usually with my arms raised clapping....My huge ape like arms are higher than anyone else... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 11:26 am

I took the original dvd I bought on release day back to my local Best Buy and swapped it out. The audio is at a higher volume on my new copy, but still lower than my other dvds.
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:49 am

[quote="Brett"]House work is done, coffee is ready,
i`m gonna watch the show NOW.
The press conference was very interesting.

Press conference?
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 am

lol! i was asking the same question when i first read it.

Yes, they did a Pre-show press conference in Montreal with Brian.
He talks about Montreal, the music, etc..
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 am

Ah, Thank you Brett. I waiting for the Blu-ray. cheers
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 am

Am I one of the few still living in the dark ages of DVD and PS2? (do they even make games for those anymore?) I haven't been near a record shop or music department of a store in a long while, so I'm not sure if the local Best Buy or Target has this DVD, The local independent shop here had the recent live cd release last time I was there. I'm trying to stay away from those places to save a few bucks, plus I got a lot of stuff I need to get more familiar with as far as listening goes.

Though, I feel like I need to pick this concert DVD up someday. I've been slacking on these recent Setzer releases...
Back to top Go down
mark t

mark t

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:36 am

Tony has gotten way better since the previous year in Ottawa.....he was terrible before! You could tell though that he was still trying to find his sea legs so to speak. Anyway, the reason that his hair looks like that is because he was also touring with the Doobie Brothers, and couldn't really come out of costume long enough to get a pomp going.

Anyway, i'm very stoked about the Bluray release....I held off on buying the DVD for that reason, and i'm glad that there's one coming. Being that the audio should be lossless instead of compressed digital, it should be friggin' brilliant.

It'll be cool to see how the Bluray compares to the being there....
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Tony's always had sort of a cartoonish pomp that resembles the headgear of the Great Gazoo. The photos I've seen of the 2010 Doobie Brothers tour show Tony in need of a comb and a bit of hairspray, but nothing too different from the hair he has sported throughout his history with the BSO.

It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Doobie%20Doobie%20Doo

It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Piazoo It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Gazoo

I've listened to quite a few BSO performances with Tony Pia, and I don't think I would ever consider him to be a terrible drummer. He's actually very talented. But I get what you mean about him "finding his sea legs" while settling in with the BSO. You can hear a significant difference between the "Don't Mess With a Big Band" CD (recorded in January 2009 - fairly early in Tony's tenure with the BSO - his second tour with the BSO) and this latest offering on the "It's Gonna Rock" DVD and audio download.

There were times, especially on some of the Wolfgang material in the 2007 tour and the 2008 one-off in Aspen, where Tony and the orchestra seemed to be hanging on for dear life. I don't know if that was because of the complexities of the score, the acoustics, or something else, but the band seems to have locked in to Tony much better on this 2010 Montreal performance.

Bernie Dresel will always be my favorite drummer employed by Brian Setzer. But Tony Pia's strong showing on "It's Gonna Rock" helps make this DVD/album a fine addition to the Setzer catalog.

Listen to the Music-billy

Back to top Go down
MJ

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:36 pm

I'd compare his hair to the rockabilly guy on the Flintstones more than to Gazoo. Can't think of his name...
Back to top Go down
mark t

mark t

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 am

Are you thinking of Jimmy Darrock, the surf guy?

I wouldn't say that Tony was a terrible drummer, I guess.....at the Ottawa show I was at, he didn't play very well. of course, my comparison before this was Bernie Dresel, who nobody can touch. :-)

I had a pretty good story about Tony's improved drumming typed out, but just realized that i'm not allowed to tell it. Shocked needless to say, he's gotten a lot better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release   It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's Gonna Rock DVD - US Release
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2