Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blondshell

Go down 
+6
webelvis
Twenty Flight Rick
tvthewiredturtle
I'm Incinerator
Pistol Pete
chunkymac
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Blondshell - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the wife's view on getting a blondeshell.

In the past, she's mentioned that she would be cool with it if I saved and got it myself, with out her help or etc.

Then she mentioned last night that there are other things that should come first...I believe she has the baby fever Shocked .

I'm going to keep on saving, because I'm still TCB'ing on the other expenses. Eventually I will get one of these, in due time...just kind of deflated my hopes a smidge.

I even mentioned that I would start purging some of the other gear I currently have scratch

you know they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

In the past, she's mentioned that she would be cool with it if I saved and got it myself, with out her help or etc.

Then she mentioned last night that there are other things that should come first...I believe she has the baby fever Shocked .

I'm going to keep on saving, because I'm still TCB'ing on the other expenses. Eventually I will get one of these, in due time...just kind of deflated my hopes a smidge.

I even mentioned that I would start purging some of the other gear I currently have scratch

I understand her stance on it all, but she never said I can't have one either Twisted Evil . It's all about balance and execution...so maybe a nice gift of equal or greater value would need to be ready to go to balance (she does like vegas...)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

I understand her stance on it all, but she never said I can't have one either Twisted Evil . It's all about balance and execution...so maybe a nice gift of equal or greater value would need to be ready to go to balance (she does like vegas...)

forget that hah.. I just trained mine (as if) to accept that when I SELL my amp or guitar it is only to acquire another.. no skimmin the fund for budget! Smile this is why a paypal account is nice Smile
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

forget that hah.. I just trained mine (as if) to accept that when I SELL my amp or guitar it is only to acquire another.. no skimmin the fund for budget! Smile this is why a paypal account is nice Smile

I don't think I have an adequete stock of sellable gear to equal a blondeshell and a cab, unless I sell it all and have nothing to plug into the Blondeshell experience afro

Gotta atleast have the Spectra Sonic and a few pedals...and cables to hook them up with!

I'd like to hear my tele through a blondeshell. I was playing it all weekend, and when it boils down to it, there really isn't a substitute for a good tele...I was really enjoying the middle position with the CR set to nearly kill: MV wide open and volume was about 1-2 o' clock...these Harmonic Design Vintage Plus pickups sound pretty great with the cheesy stock american series wiring and controls. I'd love to give this a revamp in that department with something more geek, but it's sounds nice at the moment.
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 am

luckily im just about young enough to get away with telling the mrs my mum bought it for me lol
In the mean-time ive been told that once ive paid for new double glazing that i have the green light to get a new amp oooooo, the joys of responsibility
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am

chunkymac wrote:
luckily im just about young enough to get away with telling the mrs my mum bought it for me lol
In the mean-time ive been told that once ive paid for new double glazing that i have the green light to get a new amp oooooo, the joys of responsibility

double glazing? You bought a doughnut shop?
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 am

Perhaps they are potters. Isn't "double glazing" a type of pottery finish?
Back to top Go down
chunkymac

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 am

double glazing- not sure if its called the same in the states, i need new windows in my house to make it more energy efficient,
the last thing waist line needs is me owning a doughnut shop Laughing
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 am

chunkymac wrote:
double glazing- not sure if its called the same in the states, i need new windows in my house to make it more energy efficient,

oh ya.. we call it.. Double Paned windows! if you are rolling in the bucks you can opt for "E glass" too.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:14 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
chunkymac wrote:

oh ya.. we call it.. Double Paned windows! if you are rolling in the bucks you can opt for "E glass" too.

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. granted my house doesn't have many windows, but I know they'll be replaced at my expense someday...whether if I do it when the need comes, or if I go to sell my house in a few years. got a HUGE window in the living room too Sad

On my way to work I was listening to Exile on Main St. (part of my recent tele fixation). Now I'm wondering how well the blondeshell can cop those old Stones/Faces bluesy/country rock tones. I imagine with the switch on "plank" it would do it up pretty well!
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:

On my way to work I was listening to Exile on Main St. (part of my recent tele fixation). Now I'm wondering how well the blondeshell can cop those old Stones/Faces bluesy/country rock tones. I imagine with the switch on "plank" it would do it up pretty well!

In my view, definitely!
Funny you ask because lately I have been playin alot on my RW strat tuned in open G and the capo on the 4th fret. Happy, Tumblin dice etc. Really cool and really rockin and the blondeshell gives you the Stones 70s sound as well. Swithc to "plank" and you are there. Big massive sound which says ROCK! You feel like you are in that ugly stinking basement in Franch back in 72 Very Happy
I think most of Exile was done with Teles and Ampeg amps and some Fender Champ amps and what a sound. "Rocks off" is my altime favouritt RockNRoll tune!

Hey man!
The blondeshell do them all Wink
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 am

YES!!!

Rocks Off Just sets the mood for that entire album IMO. Tumblin Dice is another good one. So many good tunes on that album. I got the reissue on cd a few days before my wedding, so listening to it again after a few months of off time just really puts me in a good mood...so I'm guessing that it puts me back into that spot of all that jittery excitement? I can't believe that they recorded this album in a sketchy dank basement using high powered Ampegs. I'm surprised they can still hear!

I'm going to keep on saving and see how I can make it work out! Then hide a brown deluxe or a blonde tremolux! Smile...I'm not going to push it...I just need to purge some stuff out...or try to.

I'm going to start keeping my tele in open G. I have an acoustic in open G, but it's not as fun as having an electric in open G. I have my spectra sonic I can keep in standard
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm

hey Wrock.. all parts of the puzzle are here, hope to have it all good to go by monday
Blondshell - Page 3 Wrocks10
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Very Happy Yehaw! G-R-E-A-T !!!! bounce

Thanks a lot Tavo - take you time, don´t hurry - I just can´t believe it´s about to happen - great sound comes to me.

Now I REALLY have to take some action on the cab, another week just passed by without me doing anyything.... Embarassed

Glad it´s Friday again and this weekend I have some time off Cool need to get the cab ASAP.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 am

Lucky!!!

Man I'm dying to get one of these without the wife noticing...anyway to make it so the blondeshell can fit into my TopHat early 2004 2x12 cab Twisted Evil

maybe I can pickup a 2x12 cab load the G12H30's into that and have the Blondeshell reside in the unloaded Tophat cab...I think I could explain the cab easier than an amp Twisted Evil Eventually I would just "trade" the TopHat for the Blondeshell.

Then again, my wife is smater than me...she knows how I think
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm

TRUE!

A friend of mine always does it like this to keep his wife from detecting newly aquired stuff:

He buys it secretly and then puts it into the basement to the other stuff. Then, after a while things start to appear and he always convinces her that it´s been around for quite a while and she doesn´t remember. Seems to work qiote well for him. The only thing you need is to have some amps / cabs to confuse her...

So glad I don´t have to excuse to anybody for getting the gear I want. And it actually took me since last May to decide that I REALLY WANT THIS amp amd I managed to save enough dough and now it´s only a few more weeks until I can FINALLY enjoy it.

Hopefully the same will happen to you soon sunny
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 am

that will definitely be hard for me to do since I have only one amp, and my wife is totally aware of my desire to have a blonde bassman/Blondeshell.

pedals are easy to get away with since I'm usually shuffle pedals in and out every so often.

I've wanted a 6G6-B for a few years now but always thought a tax return or something would take care of it, unfortunately there was always something else. Finally I started saving for the Blondeshell in mid october after lusting about this amp after the word got out about it, and have a pretty signifigant jump on the savings for the amp/cab/etc. I may try and clear out some other stuff to make some room/headway for when the right time comes!

Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Wrock wrote:
TRUE!

A friend of mine always does it like this to keep his wife from detecting newly aquired stuff:

He buys it secretly and then puts it into the basement to the other stuff. Then, after a while things start to appear and he always convinces her that it´s been around for quite a while and she doesn´t remember. Seems to work qiote well for him. The only thing you need is to have some amps / cabs to confuse her...

So glad I don´t have to excuse to anybody for getting the gear I want. And it actually took me since last May to decide that I REALLY WANT THIS amp amd I managed to save enough dough and now it´s only a few more weeks until I can FINALLY enjoy it.

Hopefully the same will happen to you soon sunny

burn in time for your amp!! btw.. there is a surface scratch around the edge of the jewel light from shipping, email me. I may have to order another face plate. I'm being anal but thats why these amps sound good.Blondshell - Page 3 190308_10150107593662970_240721872969_6238216_2336847_n
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:09 pm

So TV, how is the Spectra Sonic through a Blondeshell?!?

BTW how did your Spectra Sonic get binding on the headstock?

you really havent seen the video? Smile all blondeshell at a super low volume
2.. then slammed with my preamp pedals.
The spectra has had the pkguard shot in metal flake, pinstripe on the headstock,
wired like a telecaster with bourns pots and oil n foil cap but with a blender pot to split the coil on the supertron
in the neck

Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

finally saw both videos....

man...'billy brain is something fierce!!! I don't think a drive pedal would be needed with a 'billy brain...now I have 'billy brain on my mind...and I do dig purple... The Blondeshell sounds great with a Spectra Sonic pumping through it. I'm not sure if I'm adventurous enough to put a blender pot on mine. The tunes are pretty sweet as well! I can't believe that was on two!!! javascript:emoticonp('Laughing'). All I know is that more TopHat Club Royale doesn't get twangy like that with a Spectra Sonic driving it.

I must say in the video between the 64 and the blondeshell. They both sounded great and I feel they both had their strong points. The Blondeshell had more of a sonic spread...more hi-fi I suppose would be the phrase I'm looking at. while the 64 had more of a focus and a touch more zinginess to it. They are defnitely cut from the same cloth.

good stuff for sure, and now the playing in both videos make me feel a little shameful, and I should put in some serious playing time in between loads of laundry tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 4:33 am

I played a gig today and NOT only did the Gretsch rock through the Atomic + Brain Selttzer BUT so did the Danelectro!!!
These pedals/amp are SO versatile!
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm

We jammed with our friend's 8 son at yesterdays gig...I think he showed us up!
BTW Atomic and Brain both on about 4ish.....
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 3:18 pm

cool kid although he looks like he's 10!! Pete what did you doooo to your tone? sounds like you plugged your guitar into my car radio
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 am

I just had a quick kind of OT question.

For biasing, I know the blondeshell and most of the reproduction 6G6-B's have test points or a biasing pot so you could do it yourself.

How about the vintage 6G6-B's? Would you be able to do it yourself without adding test points or a bias pot? It just seems like a pain in the arse to take it in to a tech each time you need some fresh tubes, and it sucks the fun out of tube swapping. I mean, in theory, I think I would stick with small bottle 5881's or 6L6WGB's, but preamp tubes is where the most fun and most options is where I would tinker around with until I found my own place.

So if I were to go vintage someday on a 6G6-B or any fixed biased amp for that matter am I at the mercy of a tech for tube swaps?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:18 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
I just had a quick kind of OT question.

For biasing, I know the blondeshell and most of the reproduction 6G6-B's have test points or a biasing pot so you could do it yourself.

How about the vintage 6G6-B's? Would you be able to do it yourself without adding test points or a bias pot? It just seems like a pain in the arse to take it in to a tech each time you need some fresh tubes, and it sucks the fun out of tube swapping. I mean, in theory, I think I would stick with small bottle 5881's or 6L6WGB's, but preamp tubes is where the most fun and most options is where I would tinker around with until I found my own place.

So if I were to go vintage someday on a 6G6-B or any fixed biased amp for that matter am I at the mercy of a tech for tube swaps?

Yes and no... Smile
Vintage blondes are just that vintage.. You would have to go inside the chassis with a multimeter, soldering iron and
a handful of replacement resistors depending on what you would be doing.. This involves a Tech every time you
put in a new set of tubes that are not the exact same tube with the exact same values.

You can also in that same visit to the tech pay for a bias pot to be installed and from then on do it yourself, but you are gonna pay a nice price

..or do all of the above by yourself once you have learned how to move around inside high voltage electrical circuits.

by the way, just because an amp has a bias pot doesnt make things any easier because you still have to pull the chassis and use the multimeter to the pins on the power tubes.
This is why I have test points on the back that you slide your digi multimeter into while you turn the bias pot
ALL outside the amp, quickly and efficiently. Something I have wanted on my other amps forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blondshell   Blondshell - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blondshell
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: The cave - Guitar talk-
Jump to: