Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Palm Springs and SD setlists

Go down 
+4
Brett
Rocky Mountain Cat
peeteycat
Andi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

Palm Springs and SD setlists Empty
PostSubject: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 pm

More as I'm able, but in the meantime, shorthand setlists straight from my phone

Tin roof
Lightning
49 merc
Your true love
Dirty boogie
Honey man
Trouble train
Sleepwalk

Hold me hug me rock me
Blue moon of kentucky
Red hot
Runaway 4/2
Gene eddie 4/3
Fishnet
Strut/panther

Jjw
Rumble

RTT
Brand new Cadillac

GREAT night at the Belly Up. Palm Springs, beautiful room but would've liked better bass sounds. Danny Glass was phenomenal both nights and pushes that band like craazy!!

Last edited by Andi on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 am

AND....I made it to work on time.
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 am

Thank you Andi!

I'm glad you had a great time - I'm looking forward to hearing more.

How about some details about Hold Me Hug Me Rock Me? And how was the instrumental version of Blue Moon Of Kentucky?

Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:02 am

Tin Roof

Sounded fine to me...
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:41 am

Glad you made it on time Peeteycat, I was a bit concerned with how late you left! I'm so happy we got a chance to see you and Scatman!

Hold Me Hug Me Rock Me, obviously, was the start of the trio set. It's a Gene Vincent tune (which I knew sounded familiar but I couldn't place it at the time. Duh, I have it on a Gene Vincent CD!!) I just checked and it turns out it's on one of those Tomcats CDs too, "High School Confidential Live at TKs Place, 1980." Cool choice!

I was really hoping he'd play a couple more from Instru-MENTAL (especially an original or two!) but I love his treatment of Blue Moon of Kentucky - it was a lot of fun both nights. Strangely enough, he never once mentioned the new album coming out!

RMC, I've got photos of printed setlists and tickets from both nights to send you, hopefully tonight. Batman was scheduled as the opener (complete with masks) but Danny told me in Palm Springs that literally seconds before going onstage Setzer nixed it.

The room in Palm Springs had an amazing sound system, but even though we tried listening from several different places in the room we never felt like the mix was quite right - the guitar sounded great no matter where you stood, the vocals were okay depending on where you were, but the horns were too far back in the mix and the bass and kick drum were almost nonexistent (to the point that during the trio set I actually heard a guy yell to Spazz to turn it up.) The Belly Up was significantly improved, but the room is also much smaller and when you're standing near the stage you're quite close to the actual sound coming off the instruments, rather than hearing the speaker system! Still, Jimbo and the rest of the crew are to be commended: it's a damn tough job making all those players (48 microphones on stage!!) sound consistently good every night, in every different situation, and every different room, and they work hard!

Both nights it felt like the band was absolutely powering through the music, the energy level was SO high - even more so the second night. You could feel it! At one point at the Belly Up Brian introduced sax player/music director Tim Messina and said something like, "we've been together 20 years and played all different kinds of rooms, big and small. Just a minute ago Tim said to me, 'brother, this is the shit!'" He and Tim both had huge grins on their faces.

During Rock This Town last night, with the entire band in their leopard print jackets, on their feet, wailing, with the backlights blasting through, I had one of those "HOLY SHIT!" moments - they were so incredibly powerful!!

A great experience all around.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 am

By the way, Runaway Boys was only played the first night, Gene and Eddie only played the second night - that may not be clear above.

EDIT: WHOOPS!!! IT was just pointed out to me that I left out Sleepwalk. It was played both nights, full band, I somehow lost it in the copy/paste on my phone. It's updated now.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 am

Taken by a friend that was standing right behind me at the Belly Up last night.

Palm Springs and SD setlists 206390_104937279591387_100002253456891_53074_2820228_n

Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 am

Great review. Thank you Andi.

I guess 2nd show was loud?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Cindy7609

Cindy7609

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am

Last night's show was loud and he was really on fire! Very Happy Loved it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cindy7609/sets/72157618310781300/
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 am

Andi wrote:
RMC, I've got photos of printed setlists and tickets from both nights to send you, hopefully tonight. Batman was scheduled as the opener (complete with masks) but Danny told me in Palm Springs that literally seconds before going onstage Setzer nixed it.

Nice. Very much appreciated.

I wonder why Brian scratched Batman. It would have been funny to see with the masks....

Andi, you are the best. Thanks for the review.

And The Archive has been adjusted and Sleepwalk has been added. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Andi.
Back to top Go down
Cindy7609

Cindy7609

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 pm

I've posted my review of the show along with a couple of pix I managed to sneak in. It was really an incredible show and i loved seeing him in such a small venue. For me, it's been a long time since I've seen him in a place that small. He really seemed to be having a great time last night.

http://lifeonthescene.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/brian-setzer-blows-the-roof-off-the-belly-up/
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cindy7609/sets/72157618310781300/
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Great review y'all. Sounds like you all had an awesome time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
MJ

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks for the great review. Sounds like it was fabulous (of course)!! Glad you all had a blast Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Palm Springs and SD setlists   Palm Springs and SD setlists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Palm Springs and SD setlists
Page 1 of 1