Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dancing with the Stars

Go down 
+25
penguin
Pinkpiratekitty
lisathegreaser.
Pirate Paul
tvthewiredturtle
Babs
t.man
Kid Setzer
GreasyKidStuff
vic
Chillicat
kbilly
WildCat
Davy Jones
cosbird
Amity
Kiki
scatcatcnut
Rocky Mountain Cat
Rickabilly
Scatman
peeteycat
ScottS
Hot Rod Girl
Hepkitten
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Scatcatnut is welcome to his or her opinion around here without being attacked. It is possible to challenge the opinions and words without resorting to name-calling. "Scnut" clearly stated they are a fan of the more rockin' fare, especially the trio/Nashvillains stuff. There are areas of Wolfgang that definitely stray over into more easy listening fare, at times drifting dangerously close to Lawrence Welk (hard to criticize Lawrence Welk on a Dancing With the Stars thread). But there is also a tremendous amount of fine musicianship on display throughout the album. I think there are songs on there that are as good as anything Brian has ever recorded - For Lisa is one for the time capsule - one of my all-time favorites.

Still, the direction of the album was quite a surprise to many fans who had been awaiting a new non-Christmas CD for more than seven years, expecting something closer to Vavoom or The Dirty Boogie. The variety of material from Rockabilly Riot to 13 to Wolfgang's Big Night Out has both impressed some fans and confused others. You can't please everyone. One can appreciate an artist without embracing every era of their career. I'm not a fan of Bobby Darin's foray into folk music in the early 60s, for example. Most of Elvis' movie tunes and some mid-70s material don't appeal to me. I still count myself a fan of both Bobby Darin's and Elvis' music. So you don't like Wolfgang. So you'll exercise caution before making your next Setzer purchase. No big deal - there's quite a collection of great music stretching back more than 25 years for you to enjoy. Go put on one of those albums, and keep a-rockin'.

Rockin' chair-a-billy
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:02 am

As rickabilly says everyone's entitled to their opinion - I've been a fan of the cats since the very first time they appeared in the music press here in UK - and that was before I even heard them - saw the pics and as a long time rockabilly fan even then I knew they were just 'right'. Since then I have bought every single official Cats/Setzer/Setzer related/Slim Jim/Lee product tha has been released bar the 2nd Xmas album and the new Xmas stuff.

I have also bought around 75 bootlegs -admittedly no money in them for the band - plus seen the Cats numerous times. Have also bought and kept evey single UK publication they have appeared in plus a lot more from round the world. Having established my 'credentials' I think I am allowed to air some disquiet over the lack of rock'n'roll in some of the output of late!

I'm 48 now and reached the age where I would rather say what I think than what people like to hear!

As the cats sang 'rockabilly rules OK!'
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:09 am

Pirate Paul wrote:
Hot Rod Girl wrote:
Have you been taking lessons from Pirate Paul?
Take care,
hrg
LORD OF THE BSO
Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Setzer_flatley

lol! Let me see those "jazz hands!" lol!

Cheers PP pirat

Great! Paul, you rock! I wonder if you could add the vixens too....what a hoot!

cheers
hrg
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 am

penguin wrote:
scatcatcnut wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:
. Put on Wolfgang's Big Night Out if you want to shed a tear over the absence of rock-n-roll. The Brian Setzer Orchestra's a lot more than three chords and a backbeat.

I think that the whole BSO thing is starting to drive me away from Brian's music to be honest - there are tracks on each of the BSO albums that could comfortably be classed as 'elevator muzak', the Xmas albums have some woefully MOR type tracks and the Wolfgang album is the worst offender of all. I'll be sticking with the regular BSO stuff cos there are enough tracks to make it worth while but the trio/r'n'r format wins for me every time.

So let me get this straight. You don't like what Brian's been doing lately so you are ready to write him off forever? Maybe you should have told him what you wanted him to record. "So let's see, "scatcatwhatever" what would you like to hear?" What are the "regular" BSO tracks? Please enlighten us? Wolfgang is a very good album. Maybe you aren't hip enough to appreciate it. Ever think of that?

Oh Penguin,
Find a nice iceberg, grab whatever alcoholic beverage you desire, and chill out.

Old enough to know better, and too young to care,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:50 am

Hilarious pictures from TV and Pirate Paul! Hats off to both of ye for putting those up.

I thought the B.S.O. gave a great performance. It seemed that the audience really ate it up as well. I guess, though, that the thing to keep in mind, is that it's gotta be tough after playing a song for 30-some odd years (perhaps 15 with the orchestra) that when you're asked to edit it down to fit into the allotted time, you still naturally want to play it the way it normally goes. Couple that with the fact that you're improvising portions of the song/solo, and that you're acting the part of "lead singer/frontman", and the result can sound a bit jumpy in spots. Overall, though, I thought Brian and the band were in good form, and I enjoyed the performance (even the comical dancing with the guitar after the song finished).

My only complaint is that it was too short of a spot. I mean if they can have other "artists" on the show for two or three songs, why not at least the same time for the B.S.O.? I stated it earlier in this thread, but there are several other songs from their catalog that they could play besides the well-known swing tunes that could be used as backing music for other dances on the show. In addition, you could even include the house orchestra with the B.S.O., which might enable you to play something with piano and/or strings (i.e. September Skies).

Oh well, all in all, a cool thing to see.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Worst thing was - I guess there is this non-live show on first at 8:00 where they show all of the dancers from the last live show. I didn't know that, and had to sit through that whole show waiting for the BSO, only to find out Brian's thing didn't start till 9.

I mean, I guess dancing is fine, but sitting through 2 hours of things like Cloris Leachman dancing . . . .

Let's just say, it was great to see Brian and the boys when they finally did get to play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 am

I enjoyed the performance, of course. I really think Brian looks unwell, though.
Not trying to "stir the pot'", that's just my honest visual reaction.
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 4:28 am

I just think he's getting old and his sideburns are getting grey =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 1:17 am

Just watched the performance.
Only guitar and vocals were live performed, right?

No critics, it`s normal in a TV show with such a big orchestra.

B
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:53 am

Brett wrote:
Just watched the performance.
Only guitar and vocals were live performed, right?

No critics, it`s normal in a TV show with such a big orchestra.

B

Huh? This is interesting. How do they do this without having sound coming from the horns, drums and such? Boy, am I a clueless one when it comes to this.

Take care,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dancing with the Stars   Dancing with the Stars - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dancing with the Stars
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3