Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elvis Duets?

Go down 
+7
gretschoholic
Le Hub'
Ematt
FrenchyCat
Jess
Hot Rod Girl
Bear85
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bear85

Bear85

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm am a fan of the King, for pretty much my whole life, but I confess to not following what's been going on in Elvisland, because he's...well...dead.

So anyway, I'm on my way to my mother-in-law's to pick her up for Thanksgiving dinner, and I retune the radio to something she might like a bit more, so I landed on an AM "music of your life" kind of station. Of course, they were already in full Christmas rotation. (BTW, I've now heard Regis Philbin sing, and it's not pretty.)

On the way back to our place, they announced that they had a song from the new Elvis Duets Christmas album. They played I'll Be Home For Christmas with Carrie Underwood.

I didn't like it.

I know whoever's running the show over there has a commodity that people are willing to pay money for, but ... I don't know, it just makes me sad, I guess. A lot of people hate Christmas music, but I LOVE it, and Elvis's first Christmas album is like the yardstick for me. It's just so good - the pop side, the sacred side, and both sides done as only Elvis could do them.

Then somebody has to go and mess with it just to make money.

I won't let it ruin my Christmas, though! I'm just going to do my best to ignore it.
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Yeah, I don't care how much modern technology advances....live singers should not be allowed to create duets with dead artists. It's sacrilege, just not right. One exception...Nat King Cole with Natalie Cole.

Too much turkey!
hrg
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 pm

First off all, I haven't heard this X-mas album yet (They did not do it on vinyl, pretty strange by the way).
But I got nothing against this kind of thing, as long as it works. I also like the "Guitar Man" album, and "I was the one" album. I did not like the 50's live tracks on the "This is Elvis" album. The producer Joan Deary put an extra guitar to the tracks and it sounded real fake to me.
I loved what Danny B. Harvey did with the live 54/55 tracks together with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker.

Love live the King king
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 am

Rasmussen wrote:
I loved what Danny B. Harvey did with the live 54/55 tracks together with Slim Jim and Lee Rocker.

Love live the King king

I don't like these kind of duets, too, except those mentionned above: this is an amazing work and I love it...

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
Ematt

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 8:58 am

I bought the Christmas duets album a couple of weeks ago and have yet to play it as i dont play Christmas stuff till we get into December. But if i`m honest, i dont have high hopes as these "duets" often sound a little cold .

I loved the I Was The One album but hated the overdubs on the Guitar Man/Too Much Monkey Business albums. If ever an artist was s**t on by a record company it was Elvis, but he never stood up to them when he was alive so its no suprise what they do now.
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 2:34 pm

I really don't like duets between alive artist & dead one.
Even when it's Jim & Lee / Elvis. It hurts...
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Isn't the whole point of a duet having two people sing a song TOGETHER? IMO, if one of them have been dead for some thirty-plus years, it's not a duet - it's just an overdub. Greedy, greedy people, them record industry guys... Mad

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
JC

JC

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 5:51 pm

I've always been surprised that the Don't Cry Daddy duet Lisa Marie did on the 25th anniversary of Elvis' passing was never officially released!
The royalties could have gone to a Charity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 12:26 am

The lyrics of "Elvis on Velvet" come to mind.
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 9:11 am

Rasmussen wrote:

That´s an absolutely brilliant and outstanding cd. It just fits perfectly.

I think it is a completely different thing from all those duets.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 am

Spanishdavid wrote:
Rasmussen wrote:

That´s an absolutely brilliant and outstanding cd. It just fits perfectly.

I think it is a completely different thing from all those duets.

And when I worked in a record store for a while I sold a copy each time I played it in the shop, so I guess those old tabes worked well with a new beat to it
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 3:06 am

I´m sure Elvis would be proud of it.
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 2:59 pm

MURDER!!!

Buy the 57 xmas album/cd,and hear the KING at his blues best...100%.

king king king king king king king king king king king
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
Jess

Jess

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 7:43 am

Quote :
Buy the 57 xmas album/cd,and hear the KING at his blues best...100%.

I got the original vinyl, best christmas album ever recorded
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elvis Duets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Duets?   Elvis Duets? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elvis Duets?
Page 1 of 1