Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ScottS
ScottS

Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Empty
PostSubject: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Just bought a Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp on fleabay for 162 bucks.

Hope its got some growl.

Anyone play with one yet?
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 am

I've probably not seen a Gretsch amp up close since before the last 2 wars, man! What do you think of it so far? Is it the same as the G5222 featured on the Gretsch site? If the tone is good the price is aok, it might be fun to get a THD Yellow Jacket and experiment with different tubes like a 6L6. I'd maybe try a different speaker, too.
Let us know! cheers
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 am

I'd like to get one of the new models, the Executive or Playboy. I've heard they sound great, but I've never played through one.
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:30 am

There are no dealers listed in Nebraska or Iowa, so that means Fender dealers can get them but probably will not stock 'em. I'd like to know the internal construction of the 5222. If the electronic construction is true, an amp like that could be sweet to have.
Tavo: Any info from your end?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:56 pm

every one needs to dance to the beat of their own drummer and budget so its hard
to want to interject here as you cannot possibly compare real hand made point to
point pro amps like the Victoria amp co. built Gretsch line or THD amps and compare them to the gretsch 5XXX series amp or korean/china built anything. Those are factory built electronics of the lowest grade quality. They are functional and they can be upgraded
and turned into really toneful recording amps but for the most part as stock, they are simply functional novelties that are fun to play with.
Real pro items like the Gretsch Playboy,Variety,etc (built by victoria of course) cost
a damn fortune, above and beyond the fortune it takes to buy a real Gretsch guitar.
Its frustrating in this economy to even imagine spending into your budget to own such jewels..

I grabbed up the epiphone valve junior head for $90 and its matching cab for $100. Yes it has some gumption and zazz off the shelf but for the most part
its a students practice amp... Until you either pay someone to upgrade its internal parts or become a hobbyist amp builder.

I dumped the stock poop eminence speaker for a celestion vintage 30 and swapped out most of the internal cheapo components for NOS hifi parts,achanged out the tubes for Ei tubes and the amp is actually decent competion against my dads fender blues deluxe (that is a $700 amp). Its enjoyable to sit and play with full dynamics.
I wouldnt be able to take it out and perform with but its a real household warrior when you give the amp back the correct parts the designer made it with and the bean counters stole! Smile

So... yes these little offshore builds can be turned into gems with some elbow grease and a few extra dollars.
the Gretsch 5222 is the same amp as the fender champ 600, so there are mods on the net for turning these cute little buggers into gold:
http://300guitars.com/index.php/articles/diy-hot-rodding-the-new-fender-champion-600/

btw.. just changing the speaker in these little amps doesnt make it sound better, I made this mistake when I grabbed up a jensen alnico P-8 4ohm cab. thinking It might magically make the valve junior sound better. nooope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:11 pm

No matter what, you get what you pay for, brother!
Next time I'm in Chicago, I'd like to try the THD Univalve. We just can't get any of the good stuff here, but, it's a minor-market anyway. There's a place just west of the loop and not far from where my daughter lives that stocks 'em, so I'll just have to make a side trip and try it out. If the build quality of my Hot Plate is any indication, their amps must be solidly constructed.
Are you in Nashville yet, Tavo?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Daddio wrote:
Next time I'm in Chicago, I'd like to try the THD Univalve. We just can't get any of the good stuff here, but, it's a minor-market anyway. There's a place just west of the loop and not far from where my daughter lives that stocks 'em, so I'll just have to make a side trip and try it out. If the build quality of my Hot Plate is any indication, their amps must be solidly constructed.

no.. its not in the cards for now. I tried. no one wants to buy my house or cars. Cant find a decent job in nashville either. Its been an impossible thing to grab a hold of with the financial anchor here in so cal. so for now it remains a dream.
tv
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:56 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Daddio wrote:

no.. its not in the cards for now. I tried. no one wants to buy my house or cars. Cant find a decent job in nashville either. Its been an impossible thing to grab a hold of with the financial anchor here in so cal. so for now it remains a dream.
tv

Yeah, but you gotta have dreams, my friend.
You've checked it out and that takes stones for an adult with all the prerequisite expenses and obligations. Give your wife and kids hugs and kisses and keep goin'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp   Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gretsch G5222 Tube Amp
Page 1 of 1