Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tabs ....and ampli!?!

Go down 
+7
gretschoholic
sabrejet
tvthewiredturtle
Brett
jonhope
Guitarmaniac
marcoabilly
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brett

Brett

Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

you bet... preamp tubes usually start going south after 6months of gigging and practicing, supposedly they are to last 2yrs but thats for bedroom warriors.
This doesnt mean they dont work but all the great distinct tones you first heard
are now kinda dull. ...sound familiar? maybe?

@TV
SIX MONTH????? I heard something about 10 years... Shocked

Ok, i`ll try this first. Than we will see.

@Pete: Hi Mate, you´re amp sounds very cool. That´s nearly the sound i`m looking for.

@Shaker: thanks for the Info. I was thinking over buying this amp, but with your`s and TV`s opinion i`ll better think over it again.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 am

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

you bet... preamp tubes usually start going south after 6months of gigging and practicing, supposedly they are to last 2yrs but thats for bedroom warriors.
This doesnt mean they dont work but all the great distinct tones you first heard

@TV

Thanks

seriously man, NOS tubes do last upwards of 2yrs if you are a weekly giggin
guy but no way on the reissues unless your amp is bias right in the middle (which
means no killer tone, just okay tone). If your amp has a tube rectifier, they normally
go 11 to 13 months.. and they just quit totally when they go. Definitely not a tube to ignore, even power tubes tend to take out a screen grid resistor if they blow.

Take care of your tube amp and it'll take care of you Smile

btw.. my father still at age 65 has to try to make sure I am never correct and
he has the same crap tubes in his twin amp he's had for 8yrs. It finally last month
started making crackling sounds. He plays a half hour a day at really low volumes so there is proof somewhere on the planet that if you keep your amp in one place in the corner of the family room and put the slip cover on it after every practice session and carefully wait 2 minutes before flipping your standby switch on, you too
can have progressively thinner crappier tone each yr you wait for your tubes to die.
Smile ...and he's smiling on the inside at this moment.
I think I'll charge him full retail for tubes. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 12:34 am

Oh, i believe your words and really appreciate you comments. But this was new to me and i`m not a newbie. I will order now new Tubes for my amps!!!

About the red Flag thing (external cab with 8 Ohm speaker)
here is my manual. I use conf. 2:
Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 FenderManual
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:25 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I heard the 65' Princeton reissue with several custom shop tele at NAMM this
last week... That amp breaks up in the highs and keeps the lows..holy xmas
that thing sounded great going through the PA system..
Affordable and portable with tube reverb ... Almost as good as my old
67' Princeton Reverb!!

Tried it myself today, it totally agree - breaks up really nice in the highs. The owner of the store were really suprised himself how good that amp sounded! He had not tried himself so he really went happy and offered me a good price which I am considering.
Anyone want a Traynor YCV 40 with a V30 ?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:01 am

Brett wrote:
Oh, i believe your words and really appreciate you comments. But this was new to me and i`m not a newbie. I will order now new Tubes for my amps!!!

About the red Flag thing (external cab with 8 Ohm speaker)
here is my manual. I use conf. 2:
Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 FenderManual

Why does modern fender never cease to amaze me..wow. So its 8ohms, but
when you engage the ext speaker jack with another 8ohm speaker the total
load is now 4ohms, or you can put a raw 1/4 plug into the main speaker jack
which opens up the 4ohm tap on the output transformer and the extension
speaker jack is now just a 4ohm output...

not bad. this means you could get yourself a 2x12 cab with a 4ohm load just
like a bassman, disconnect the internal speaker, plug in a dummy jack to the amps speaker output and run the signal from the extension jack to the 4ohm bassman
cab.

Fun stuff man! Smile This makes sense of the mod for earlier versions of this amp
that have a yellow/green wire sitting inside the chassis unused (no extension jack)
and you can use that instead of the 8ohm tap, to convert your amp to straght 4ohms.

All to say, you are never using the full power of that amp until you use a 4ohm load
which would allow it to run at near 100% instead of the stock internal 8ohm speaker which makes the amp run at 50% power.

You realize that is like unhooking 4 of your 8 cylinders in a V8 engine. That sucks... but it sez that this circuit design of the blues deluxe is capable of much more bassman like tendencies which means more headroom and tone spectrum for your gretsch!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:40 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

like a bassman, disconnect the internal speaker, plug in a dummy jack to the amps speaker output and run the signal from the extension jack to the 4ohm bassman
cab.

Rolling Eyes good to know...

To use a good 2x12 cab is my future plan.

So, now i`ll start to "customize" my little amp. New Preamp tube is ordered. I`m just looking for a new speaker. Greenback`s only have 25 W...hm..maybe a Celestion Vintage 30...

Cool... Cool
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 11:36 am

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

cab.

Rolling Eyes good to know...

To use a good 2x12 cab is my future plan.

So, now i`ll start to "customize" my little amp. New Preamp tube is ordered. I`m just looking for a new speaker. Greenback`s only have 25 W...hm..maybe a Celestion Vintage 30...

Cool... Cool

the delicious soulful Greenback is 25watts but remember in the amp 8ohms is only 50% power, so a V30 is overkill(it'll still sound awesome of course). The Celestion G12H30 is rated at 30watts and can handle pretty much everything the V30 puts out, it just has more cone break up earlier for smoother overdrive. The V30 has always a kind of fizzy upmids bark when you hit it
with lots of overdrive. I liked my cab with a greenback and G12H30 for rock better
than the v30 cab
BUT.. when it comes to rockabilly Setzer style, he never pushes the amp that hard (turn a blonde all the way up and the overdrive is F'n awesome like ACDC but so loud you need a diaper)
so the V30 shines in delivering a really full sonic spectrum at low"ish" volumes..but
this in a closeback cab. Open backs never deliver the lows fat enough.. that
big tight fat bottom your gretsch wants to hand to your ears. Big Fierce klang, kerrang and thwomp..

you know.. Smile
Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Beyonce_knowles
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 2:18 am

Yep, got it.

Sometimes pictures helps a lot.... Cool
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:18 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

@TV

Thanks

guy but no way on the reissues unless your amp is bias right in the middle (which
means no killer tone, just okay tone). If your amp has a tube rectifier, they normally
go 11 to 13 months.. and they just quit totally when they go. Definitely not a tube to ignore, even power tubes tend to take out a screen grid resistor if they blow.

he has the same crap tubes in his twin amp he's had for 8yrs. It finally last month
started making crackling sounds. He plays a half hour a day at really low volumes so there is proof somewhere on the planet that if you keep your amp in one place in the corner of the family room and put the slip cover on it after every practice session and carefully wait 2 minutes before flipping your standby switch on, you too
can have progressively thinner crappier tone each yr you wait for your tubes to die.

TV, Do you think the brand of Rectifier Tube has any bearing on the tone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 11:00 am

shaker wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

@TV

Thanks

TV, Do you think the brand of Rectifier Tube has any bearing on the tone?

Well technically the rectifier has nothing to do with the tone but rather with the conversion of AC to DC current.. but because a tube rectifier doesnt react as "quick" as a solid state rectifer, a great deal of guitarist want a tube rectifier for its feel or sag as the guitarist attacks the note clean or overdriven. It feels nicer when you are playing a slab guitar to have it in a nice open back combo when you've got a say a maple neck strat or telecaster..

Having said that, some amp are built utilizing different versions of a rectifier tube, say a
Vox AC-30 uses a little GZ34 ( USA spec's it 5AR4) and being that its a psuedo Class A amp
they give that rectifier tube max voltage to keep it stiff and tight, very much not like
a reissue '59 Bassman thats using a 5UG4 large glass bottle tube rectifier...

So... you end up with players experiment with the voltage sag or tightness of an amp say with a stock 5UG4 and adjust the "sag" or feel by swapping in a 5Y3 to lower the amps headroom and getting a real sag and compression or tightening things up by moving up to a GZ34.. The only thing tighter than that to my knowledge is a Solid State Rectifier plug, and that is the exact swap in I use on a Fender Deluxe. I hate a fender deluxe's 6V6 with a gretsch but a change of its power tubes and slight bias correct allows you to put a set of 6L6 tubes in and remove the rectifer tube for a
SS rectifier plug. That amp instantly shines for hollow and semi hollow at very decent SPL.

..I guess I didnt answer you directly as you asked if "brand" might affect tone. I'm sure some will try to argue but you can only smile when their argument uses "feel" terminology.
Brand can affect your performance but not tone... A Ruby Tube GZ34 is a really nice rectifier tube and does its job for at least one yr of gigging amp performance, but a NOS frend MAZDA GZ34 will last double that..

Another good but kinda funky example is a Condom (eessh), its job is to protect you from STD's and help in Birth control... As long as the Condom is of a quality construction, it doesn matter what brand it is, technically its a physical barrier between a man and a woman genitalia( I cannot speak of the other sorry).
Brand and design can affect performance though....

Suspect Suspect Suspect Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:58 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

True bypass isnt a concern on your pedals? signal attenuation... stuff like that? Smile

Ummmm... Embarassed

Well, for live stuff, I'm pretty sure nobody have noticed wether or not my pedals are true bypass anyway.... About a year ago, I came across a 301, and when I feel like haulin some extra gear, i bring it. And for recording, of course. But this weekend the DanEcho (I fixed a broken soldering, and it's still working Very Happy ) was small enough to fit my carry-on luggage as we flew to the Netherlands for a gig. So it'll probably be with me on-and-off for another ten years. I use a Gollmer Booster (handmade, Swedish) to push the front end of the Bassman, and the sound is pretty good IMO. Smile

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

True bypass isnt a concern on your pedals? signal attenuation... stuff like that? Smile

Ummmm... Embarassed

Well, for live stuff, I'm pretty sure nobody have noticed wether or not my pedals are true bypass anyway.... About a year ago, I came across a 301, and when I feel like haulin some extra gear, i bring it. And for recording, of course. But this weekend the DanEcho (I fixed a broken soldering, and it's still working Very Happy ) was small enough to fit my carry-on luggage as we flew to the Netherlands for a gig. So it'll probably be with me on-and-off for another ten years. I use a Gollmer Booster (handmade, Swedish) to push the front end of the Bassman, and the sound is pretty good IMO. Smile

Anders

the Devil kills a Kitten and the angels cry when you dont use low capacitance cables and true bypass effects.
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

The
preamp tubes are 12AX7a stock tubes but the europe equivalent of vintage
american tubes are the JJ ECC803 longplates. They are great in these amps..
Tighter bass and puncy mids with sweet smooth highs.

Hey TV,

i changed the Preamp Tubes. I bought exactly the JJ ECC803.
Awesome. The gain is now a little less, it`s not that loud at 2 as is was. (but very small different)
But the sound is much better.
I changed the speaker also ( i took a Vintage30...the greenback will be taken later in my external cab).

It is not a new amp or completly different sound, it sounds like a Fender Blues Deluxe but with more punch, more "Fender"-sound. Great. Together with my cab the sound has more headroom (is this right to say in english?).

In Summer i will go for new Powertubes...! Laughing

Thanks for your suggestions.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:32 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Ummmm... Embarassed

Anders

the Devil kills a Kitten and the angels cry when you dont use low capacitance cables and true bypass effects.
Twisted Evil

Laughing Gretsch -> Korg DT10 -> Gollmer Booster -> Voodoolab Sparkledrive -> Gollmer 60's Trem -> DanEcho (or RE301) -> Fender Bassman 6G6-B. I use George L's all the way. Does that at least save the kitten? Wink
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:23 pm

gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Ummmm... Embarassed

Anders

Twisted Evil

Laughing Gretsch -> Korg DT10 -> Gollmer Booster -> Voodoolab Sparkledrive -> Gollmer 60's Trem -> DanEcho (or RE301) -> Fender Bassman 6G6-B. I use George L's all the way. Does that at least save the kitten? Wink

Kitty probably still loses a paw because the Korg DT10 is not true bypass and would need upgrading to the new Korg Pitchblack which has true bypass...
so right now your guitar is running through the entire length of the tuner and the danecho circuit whether engaged or not. You have sinned by capacitance loading and
attenuating your guitar's high end. rabbit clown

ps. being serious, do you hear a significant difference in your performing volume if you
take those offenders out of your signal chain?
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:26 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
gretschoholic wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Ummmm... Embarassed

Anders

Twisted Evil

Kitty probably still loses a paw because the Korg DT10 is not true bypass and would need upgrading to the new Korg Pitchblack which has true bypass...
so right now your guitar is running through the entire length of the tuner and the danecho circuit whether engaged or not. You have sinned by capacitance loading and
attenuating your guitar's high end. rabbit clown

ps. being serious, do you hear a significant difference in your performing volume if you
take those offenders out of your signal chain?

I really don't, but that could be the effect of twenty-five years of gigging with loud drummers (you know, the guitar's never loud lol! )
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 1:07 am

I realize a difference if i play alone and try some new stuff.
With the band in a small club, bad monitoring, singing-talking people, the difference become smaller. Shocked

For Rockabilly i use a small effect chain: Guitar-Burriest Booster/Overdrive-Korg Tuner. All true bypass.
Echo is in the effect way/Poweramp in/out. (Fender Blues Deluxe)

For Rock: TC Major send in/send return, (Marshall DSL Top)
Guitar-MXR Overdrive-Tuner-Wahwah Crybaby. Thats it.

I try to use good cable also.
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 am

I really don't, but that could be the effect of twenty-five years of gigging with loud drummers (you know, the guitar's never loud lol! )[/quote]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it's ALWAYS the DRUMMER'S fault!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:31 am

Quote :
I really don't, but that could be the effect of twenty-five years of gigging with loud drummers (you know, the guitar's

That's spot on!

Once you're out at a gig at stage volume with the drummer and rest of the band joining in the mix, those little subtleties you heard at home or in the studio are gone out the window!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:38 am

Pistol Pete wrote:
I
Yep, it's ALWAYS the DRUMMER'S fault!!!!!!

Who else? pig
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 am

shaker wrote:
Quote :
I really don't, but that could be the effect of twenty-five years of gigging with loud drummers (you know, the guitar's

That's spot on!

Once you're out at a gig at stage volume with the drummer and rest of the band joining in the mix, those little subtleties you heard at home or in the studio are gone out the window!!

I dont agree, I build rigs to have the subtleties at stage volume.. I have no use for helping the bedroom warrior shine his magnifying glass, I work for performing musicians
since thats what I've been myself for decades.
I do agree that no one in the audience (especially beer laden) cares about any of the stuff we talk about/impliment here BUT..
There is no way in hell I am using shite guitar cables and pedals after spending so much
hard work and money on fixin a vintage point to point fullerton built amp,
Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 L_9e57b85cde1646bf9ec8e089414eb836

and half ass jap. gretsch SSU that I fully rebuilt with the best american parts.
This rig is a performance rig for big loud rockabilly music with class.

some of us are nut jobs and some are just nuts jocolor

btw.. whats the difference between a drummer and a pizza?
a pizza feeds a family of four............badabing!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tabs ....and ampli!?!   Tabs ....and ampli!?! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tabs ....and ampli!?!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2