Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay

Go down 
+6
JC
Budgie
Guitarmaniac
tvthewiredturtle
pony65k
I'm Incinerator
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
I'm Incinerator

3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Empty
PostSubject: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

*not my auction or anyone I know*

Just thought I would pass the word to those who would be interested.

I believe two are '63 and one is a '64 (according to the respective auctions.)

I'd love to make a move on one of these, but still waiting on some funds to come in.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Here's the link

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Jess oliver was VP of AMPEG amps, so now I am gonna hunt him down
and do some "tawkin" about the old skool setzer set up. pirat

btw... This amp is primo.. circuit doesnt appear messed with other than
the electrolytic capacitors changed (the rectifier cap is original and needs
to be changed) along with 2 of the original mallory coupling caps swapped out for newer ones. The original sealed mallory coupling caps do last for quite some time. I just this week finally clipped out all my original mallory's for Orange Drops although I kepts a set of mallory 150 series in the pwr section along with all filter caps changed to Sprague Atoms!

The price on this auction is steep but for what its worth. I bought my
63' blonde bassman for $950 but after tophat did the initial restoration
with NOS tubes I was at $1200. Cab ran me $450.
$1650 for alot of work to get it to setzer-ville..

This one on the auction would involve a $200 investment minimum..but
$2200 would yield a trophy tone beast to last you a lifetime+

I wonder who our ebay "setzerfan" is??? hmmmm TOMMY pig pig tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Don't think so. If you click on the sellers name, there's a pic of the guy and I don't think it look like Tommy or does it??

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 am

I think it looks like Tommy just the hair is not blonde...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Not.
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
J

The price on this auction is steep but for what its worth. I bought my
63' blonde bassman for $950 but after tophat did the initial restoration
with NOS tubes I was at $1200. Cab ran me $450.
$1650 for alot of work to get it to setzer-ville..

This one on the auction would involve a $200 investment minimum..but
$2200 would yield a trophy tone beast to last you a lifetime+

It's actually pretty cheap by Australian standards,
Those amps go for 4 - 5000 AUD dollars down here! Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 7:56 am

I might be a day late and a buck short on that auction.

I'd rather go primo vintage than repro, and primo because, I'm not too sure of the amp tech guys around here. Wouldn't want to spend that kind of cash then take it to get everything back up to spec, and come out with a black faced up blonde...hopefully I could have a little more faith in them than that.

It's still looking like with in the year I can get one (if I can find one).

worse cas scenario, I would be TopHat-less for a little while (no Black Vans No )
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:11 am

I'm Incinerator wrote:
I might be a day late and a buck short on that auction.

I'd rather go primo vintage than repro, and primo because, I'm not too sure of the amp tech guys around here. Wouldn't want to spend that kind of cash then take it to get everything back up to spec, and come out with a black faced up blonde...hopefully I could have a little more faith in them than that.

It's still looking like with in the year I can get one (if I can find one).

worse cas scenario, I would be TopHat-less for a little while (no Black Vans No )

but even if its a blonde bassman found in a closet that hasnt been played for 40yrs, you are still going to have to have ALL electrolytic caps replaced, those caps were only good for 15yrs max..
Also if the amp was in mint condition but used, after all these yrs the
original carbon comp resistors are going to stray from their original values., at least the ones in the power section.

all to say, thats an easy $100+ in parts and labor, plus all new tubes.
caveat: you could infact fire up a completely untouched mint 63 bassman, but you will be playing an amp that has an unusual sound.
Something like a walrus with gas! ha.

Also since blonde bassman amps had fixed bias, you will have to take
it to a tech everytime you change power tubes until you have them put in a bias adjustment pot($65 mod). Then you can buy a TAD tube tester and do your own biasing when its time to drop tubes in the amp (double in cost compared to your EL84 amp)...

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/video-biasing.asp

There is also the chance of the transformers going south if they have any significant amount of rust (usually from east coast ownership).

Isnt that a giant motivator for owning such an amp! Smile I do, its
an incredible amp!
I love mine.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 11:59 am

I know to stay away from "untouched" vintage amps. I saw3 an auction once for a 59 Magnatone 213 that had just came out of the original box (was tucked away back in the back room or in storage for 49 years?) last year, and was told that I would basically need to gut the whole amp and replace caps, power chord, resistors...speaker...wow.

I'm sure that any tech here would be competant in getting a vintage point-to-point Fender amp up and running, I just haven't gotten around to "know" any techs...it seems like the shop guys here go in cycles.

The only part of owning a vintage amp would be the transformer going south. It'd be a sad day...

When I took a gander on Craigslist for a blonde a few weeks ago...I was looking on the Cali craigslist. I mean, they were built in OC, so there should be a few still left around???
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
I know to stay away from "untouched" vintage amps. I saw3 an auction once for a 59 Magnatone 213 that had just came out of the original box (was tucked away back in the back room or in storage for 49 years?) last year, and was told that I would basically need to gut the whole amp and replace caps, power chord, resistors...speaker...wow.

I'm sure that any tech here would be competant in getting a vintage point-to-point Fender amp up and running, I just haven't gotten around to "know" any techs...it seems like the shop guys here go in cycles.

The only part of owning a vintage amp would be the transformer going south. It'd be a sad day...

When I took a gander on Craigslist for a blonde a few weeks ago...I was looking on the Cali craigslist. I mean, they were built in OC, so there should be a few still left around???

thats what happened to Ronnie Crutcher's 63' so he's using a Marsh now for shows from what I was told last.

as far as finding blonde fender amps in california, hens teeth. Nashville's a better bet.

remember too that you've always got Brian
Gerhard to send your blonde to for servicing,
as well as my IE tech in hemet.
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

thats what happened to Ronnie Crutcher's 63' so he's using a Marsh now for shows from what I was told last.

And that Marsh sounds FANTASTIC.
N
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Nikko wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

And that Marsh sounds FANTASTIC.
N

oh ya.. almost had one before the "fall"....
btw.. "ignition" huh? hmmm.. how 'bout THE BRAIN SELZTER.
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. "ignition" huh? hmmm.. how 'bout THE BRAIN SELZTER.

"and paint the mother pink" - Johnny Cougar

Clever. Very clever
N
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

as far as finding blonde fender amps in california, hens teeth. Nashville's a better bet.

What would be options for a vintage amp where the transformer stops fighting the good fight? When you put in an after market tranny (mercury), wouldn't you lose the "magic" of the original iron? The only other option would be to hunt another blonde for a tranny.

I only found one blonde on the So Cal Craigslist...in Fullerton I think. Then again, I think Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are hoarding a few from pictures of their storage/rehearsal space that I've seen...

I will try hunting on Nashville's CL might be less to ship it from there than So Cal.

I didn't know Brian still did servicing for non-TopHat amps? That'd be pretty cool to have a TopHat rebuild in vintage blonde disguise. I could always ask around, a few guys here play vintage BF bassman and bandmasters(still have yet to see a blonde or atleast a transitional 6G6-B)...I'd imagine they get their's serviced locally.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

What would be options for a vintage amp where the transformer stops fighting the good fight? When you put in an after market tranny (mercury), wouldn't you lose the "magic" of the original iron? The only other option would be to hunt another blonde for a tranny.

I only found one blonde on the So Cal Craigslist...in Fullerton I think. Then again, I think Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are hoarding a few from pictures of their storage/rehearsal space that I've seen...

I will try hunting on Nashville's CL might be less to ship it from there than So Cal.

I didn't know Brian still did servicing for non-TopHat amps? That'd be pretty cool to have a TopHat rebuild in vintage blonde disguise. I could always ask around, a few guys here play vintage BF bassman and bandmasters(still have yet to see a blonde or atleast a transitional 6G6-B)...I'd imagine they get their's serviced locally.
mercury magnetics is what Marsh uses, they have it down...plus they do rebuilds of original iron.

btw.. Brian Gerhard rebuilt the blonde I have plus converted a blackface
AB165 for me. I've got Kevin at hemet valley musicians repair doing another AB165 to 6G6-B right now. I've learned a bit since Brian did the first rebuild for me.
I may start offering this service with complete mercury mag and orangedrop/sprague compliment if the pedal works out.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:51 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

mercury magnetics is what Marsh uses, they have it down...plus they do rebuilds of original iron.

btw.. Brian Gerhard rebuilt the blonde I have plus converted a blackface
AB165 for me. I've got Kevin at hemet valley musicians repair doing another AB165 to 6G6-B right now. I've learned a bit since Brian did the first rebuild for me.
I may start offering this service with complete mercury mag and orangedrop/sprague compliment if the pedal works out.

right on! If you do start to repair amps, when I get a bassman I'll have to get it out to you for the initial go-over.

I've thought about getting a blackface and having it done to 6G6-B specs, but going through all of that, I'd rather have a blonde. Plus that little extra barrel knob on the end for the presence control looks pretty cool...I can't lie Embarassed

Tone/ soundwise...what is the difference between a Gomez and Marsh...

if the amp repair happens, would there ever be a day where one could see a TV built 6G6-B?
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:47 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220359797203

TV, how does this one check out from the pictures? I kind of been digging on the transitional look. The start price is sweet...They also have the cab up for auction and that is pretty good start price.

There is another transitional, a 6G6-A, and a Blonde head/speaker cab as well...

but that transitional head caught my attention due to my "untrained" eye seeing how clean it looked.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm Incinerator wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220359797203

TV, how does this one check out from the pictures? I kind of been digging on the transitional look. The start price is sweet...They also have the cab up for auction and that is pretty good start price.

There is another transitional, a 6G6-A, and a Blonde head/speaker cab as well...

but that transitional head caught my attention due to my "untrained" eye seeing how clean it looked.

That thing is totally stock from those pictures, all caps and carbon comp resistors totally stock WOW!! (it would definitely need a new cap job)
TOTALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have had 2 transitional 6G6-B and both needed new trannies, but
they sounded incredible (in this pict. is also my el sonido and tophat
cab,my buddy owns it all now)
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_820d59f33a914a8b96f638ed31ca1345

below this is the 66'blackface I just modded to 6G6-B blonde (cab is
a fender custom shop vibroking w/ V30s), all
caps changed to orangedrops,tads, and sprague.. notice the presence control is put in the back of the chassis in place of the extra speaker jack.
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_c96cd58655b841c4b838347cc3a9f96a3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_8c1b125d83ee46eb89636633a51e71ab3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_42070aaa16ef46c0b1cbad9366211053
This one on the bottom is my actual 6G6-B 63' circuit board with all orangedrops,sprague,mallory. All stock values, just with top grade components

Last edited by tvthewiredturtle on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 pm

TV,

Can I sleep in your basement? In return, I'll clean and guard your amps. Not a single dust will touch those babies.
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 7:02 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
I'm Incinerator wrote:

That thing is totally stock from those pictures, all caps and carbon comp resistors totally stock WOW!! (it would definitely need a new cap job)
TOTALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have had 2 transitional 6G6-B and both needed new trannies, but
they sounded incredible (in this pict. is also my el sonido and tophat
cab,my buddy owns it all now)
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_820d59f33a914a8b96f638ed31ca1345

below this is the 66'blackface I just modded to 6G6-B blonde (cab is
a fender custom shop vibroking w/ V30s), all
caps changed to orangedrops,tads, and sprague.. notice the presence control is put in the back of the chassis in place of the extra speaker jack.
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_c96cd58655b841c4b838347cc3a9f96a3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_8c1b125d83ee46eb89636633a51e71ab3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay L_42070aaa16ef46c0b1cbad9366211053
This one on the bottom is my actual 6G6-B 63' circuit board with all orangedrops,sprague,mallory. All stock values, just with top grade components

The pic look all too familiar...I drool everytime I see them.

How much would a cap and resistor job run on average? I know bench/tech fees are a little different from person to person.

If the price stays low enough on this one, it'd be worth it. I've been seeing a lot more 6G6-B's on the'bay lately
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey TV, I am curious as well what you think of the Gomez up against the Marsh as far as quality and tone? Since you da man for gear, what says you bro? Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Diggey wrote:
Hey TV, I am curious as well what you think of the Gomez up against the Marsh as far as quality and tone? Since you da man for gear, what says you bro? Thanks in advance

I dont own a marsh but I know that marsh is using mercury magnetic
transformers and caters a little more to the mojo of the rocker and billies. Gomez is really really fixated on the surf guitar crowd even though buddy d. is using his amp.
I pulled a few large stage gigs with the Gomez, but I had to change
a cap inside the amp and all the tubes.

The big thing that most wouldnt notice is that the Gomez repro
had really "girthy" transformer saturation. Almost identical to
the blackface to Blonde conversions I have done. The iron in
the mojotone transformers is too brute, almost ACDC ish. Like I said I dont think most guys would sense this unless they've been playing through an original blonde 6G6-B's old iron.
When you have small bottle 6L6WGBs mixed with the old iron of the blondes, there is this terrific voltage saturation at around 5 on the vol. of the normal channel when you have the presence completely open
(ala setzer). Obviously its loud, but doesnt "Feel" as loud and brutal as the gomez El Sonido repro bassman.
I'm pretty sure Marsh's use of the Mercury tranny (tone clone?) is
why Ronnie C. is really digging his since his 63' crapped its tranny.

I still need to take stock of a Marsh to compare it but since I've been having real good luck with converted blackface's its hard to want to
spend all that loot on a full repro when most only use the 6G6-Bs normal channel. The blonde normal channel is only utilizing the last two pre amp tubes ( V-3, and P-1).
The other thing that doesnt work for me too well is that Gomez is really really sticking to repro series Mallory coupling caps, and they
are just too warm sounding comparted to Orange drops.
here's another shot of my 63' blonde w/ new cap job
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay 02150910
and here is the inside of a gomez (dont share this at all please)
3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Inside10
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 pm

thanks, and BTW, I am about to get on and order your CD. I have to ask, are you guys like a Gospel style band all the time or just made a heavy to gospel CD? Its cool either way and I'm digging just that its different. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Diggey wrote:
thanks, and BTW, I am about to get on and order your CD. I have to ask, are you guys like a Gospel style band all the time or just made a heavy to gospel CD? Its cool either way and I'm digging just that its different. Thanks in advance

hey thanks.. no I'm not a gospel trio, but I will always record gospel on my albums, it resonates
in my soul since my dad taught me to sing with old cash and elvis gospel. Even the songs that
arent gospel still wrestle subject matter with my beliefs versus my nature.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay   3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3 6G6-B bassman amps and cabs on eBay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next