Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house

Go down 
+9
Kid Setzer
FrenchyCat
Setzerado
Brett
Spanishdavid
Jess
Gloria
Le Hub'
Kelley
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelley

Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Empty
PostSubject: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:48 am

this may have been posted before, but of course this is such a great song
so here goes:

Stray Cats version Paris 1989?

NOWW Elvis version from 1970 Very Happy

whicn do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 am

No doubt for me : between the two you propose, I prefer the Cats one.
It would have been different with the 1954 Elvis version (the original at Sun)
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:39 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:52 am

Oh yes Kelley. I've always read Brian saying that the King was the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:04 am

The Cats always, except for Jeanie Jeanie Jeanie, that I prefer the originalv ersion!
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 am

I wish Elvis had done more of those earlier songs in his 70's concerts. I like this slowed down version he's doing in that rehearsal and his voice definately sounds better...more manly and gruff than in the original.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 am

Baby Let's play house. I never heard no one comes even close to the original version....
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 am

Let´s be fair to Elvis and take a look at him performing while he was a true hillbilly cat.

Let´s be fair and admit that Scotty Moore is absolutely brilliant, Bill Black was playing the hell out of that bass and giving some entertainment as well, and DJ Fontana was keeping the beat just fine back there.

That 50´s formation is -to me- by far, the best rockabilly band ever. What would have happened if they had never split....

Said that, the Cats cover of the video you propose is really cool too, but I have to stick to Elvis´original as performed in here and as originally recorded.

It´s a shame Mr.Phillips got rid of him back then... Elvis´ sound was pure energy and high octane rockabilly.
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

One more thing.... have you guys listened to Slim Jim, Lee Rocker and Danny B. Harvey cd where they put the music over Elvis´ Louisiana Hyride Show????

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

That´s a MUST HAVE cd. WILD-WILD-WILD!!!!
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 am

Phantom, Rocker & Harvey version is wild but - in my opinion - very far behind Stray Cats (probably a question of guitarist level...)
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:50 am

ChooChooHotHub wrote:
Phantom, Rocker & Harvey version is wild but - in my opinion - very far behind Stray Cats (probably a question of guitarist level...)

I thing the new version with Phantom, Rocker & Harvey is much better and powerfull. The Stray Cats version is a bit like the Original Cool album, very nice but no balls
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 am

kelleyM wrote:
this may have been posted before, but of course this is such a great song
so here goes:

Stray Cats version Paris 1989?

NOWW Elvis version from 1970 Very Happy

whicn do you prefer?

The Elvis version is a killer, but too short. is there a DVD of this session out?
But look at the Cats backline: 3 (three) Bassman Amps...WOW!!!

Last edited by Brett on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 am

That CD done by Lee, Slim & Danny B to me is absolutely shit.
Never before had I seen such a terrible way to fuck a song...

Sorry for that, but that's what I think... That recording is absolutey pointless
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

JonPascual wrote:
That CD done by Lee, Slim & Danny B to me is absolutely shit.
Never before had I seen such a terrible way to fuck a song...

Sorry for that, but that's what I think... That recording is absolutey pointless

I guess you neither like the Guitar Man and I Was The One album by Elvis?
Oh my god, here we go again lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 10:47 am

I never liked Elvis, to be honest... I don't see anything special in him... but we discussed about this on "Rock This Town KIDS incorporated" thread, didn't we??

It would be the same if I say that I like... don't know, KT Tunstall for instance, or Robbie Williams (2 of my favourite artists)...

But going back to the topic, I think that the arrangements of the songs are horrible, the sound doesnt go with Elvis' voice...
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 am

Rasmussen wrote:
very nice but no balls

Are you serious ? "No balls" ? The Stray Cats version at the end of a gig from the Blast Off tour ! No, you're not serious.
About Phantom, Rocker & Harvey, it's cool but, as Hub said, far behind Brian Setzer.
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Setzerado wrote:
Rasmussen wrote:
very nice but no balls

Are you serious ? "No balls" ? The Stray Cats version at the end of a gig from the Blast Off tour ! No, you're not serious.
About Phantom, Rocker & Harvey, it's cool but, as Hub said, far behind Brian Setzer.

Listen to the song, it nicely played, but not dangerrous at all. I guess it's got something to do with the tempo, and of cause the way it's played. The new version might not be the greatest production in the world, but it's hard and kickin'.
That's the great thing about music, no one is right, it's all depending on the person who's listening to it cheers
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Rasmussen wrote:

That's the great thing about music, no one is right, it's all depending on the person who's listening to it cheers

Absolutely agree with that... But not all with "no balls" Suspect
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Is it worth to give my opinion? I don't think so, that's why I'll give it anyway Laughing
The best version is ...... Elvis '56 one!
Then, Stray Cats AND Jim+Lee+Danny at he same level!
Last: Elvis '70ies

That's only what I think (love) and please... don't throw me anything... Laughing

FC
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 pm

you're okay frencycat

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:00 pm

kelleyM wrote:
like was said earlier it would be boring if there was no conflict on this board
(but of course, not too much ha ha Cool )

I think it's better to say it would be boring if we didn't have differing opinions.. conflict itself is not fun at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Can I say "shit" again to disagree a little bit more??
Hehe, just fun lads and lassies!
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: I will now tell you what to think   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:54 am

I am never wrong about anything ,ever, though you you may disagree with that......but you would be wrong !
So here is the correct opinion to have ; Elvis 1955 Sun version just cant be beaten by anybody no matter who it is, it is just pure primEVIL raw rockabilly. Someone may do a more polished ,modern production sometime in the next 5,000 years but they will never top the man himself.
The 1989 live in Paris version the Stray Cats did was excellent . It rocked ,it didnt veer too far from the Biblical version but it still had the Cats theological stamp. It only lacked testosterone because Brian did not have the voice of a 19 year old Elvis Presley.
The Slim Jim/Lee Rocker/Mr Harvey version was an interesting twist on an old live recording ,nothing more and I believe those 3 dudes would tell you that.
I now invite Rickabilly to add to this conversation in the interests of democracy and such and such.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 am

All bow before the Man, the Myth, the Legend. Sir Vincent of The House of Blackshadow holds the key to all wisdom regarding this matter.

What Vinnie Said-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house   Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elvis vs. Stray Cats let's play house
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next