Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Racism in rock-a-billy

Go down 
+16
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Setzerado
vic
Twenty Flight Rick
Spanishdavid
Hot Rod Girl
pony65k
Kid Setzer
Kelley
Brett
Andi
Rickabilly
Le Hub'
gretschoholic
Guitarmaniac
Minnesota Fats
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:02 am

DOH!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 am

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am

Rickabilly wrote:

I would highly recommend the non-native English-speaking members of our community avoid learning their English from "South Park."

Mr. Hankey-billy

Oh... Embarassed

lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Brett wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:

I would highly recommend the non-native English-speaking members of our community avoid learning their English from "South Park."

Mr. Hankey-billy

Oh... Embarassed

lol!

I usually don't do that, but I couldnd't think of any fitting experssion in that moment. I'm really with you that such mistakes should be pointed out and I never have a problem with someone pointing out my mistakes to me, because that's how I really learn english =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 pm

no statements necessary. Your english is brilliant.
You are from germany and 16 (!), but your english is much better than a lot of people in my age i know.
(And i talk about people who needs to talk and write in english because of the job.)

But i`m interested in bad words in english (only for the job)
What is the exactly meaning of fag?

TGIF

Brett
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

sorry

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 pm

It can be a term for a cigarette 'To light up a fag'.. but is commonly used in a derogatory way for people attracted to the same sex... It can also be used to describe being tired 'After a long days work I was completely fagged out'.. I know my mum says it alot with reference to being tired or to 'fag out on the couch'.. but yeah commonly it is used in a derogatory way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks Kid, got it now...

very informative board.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 12:01 am

Brett, fag is a derogatory/unkind term for a homosexual or gay person. It's short for faggot, which carries the same meaning. Though this can be confusing, as fag is also a perfectly legitimate British term for cigarette... and as I learned while in Wales a few months ago, apparently a faggot is also a type of meatball! The funny thing is I learned this while eating in a Welsh pub with two lesbian friends and we saw "Welsh faggots" on the menu! We all had a good laugh.
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Fats, I think there may be a kernel of truth in your question. In the 70s and 80s RaB scene, there was a bit of blending with punk, and in my recolection, there was a skin head/ racist element there. I don't think it was in the majority at all...but it was there.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 3:43 pm

Not wanting to incite anything here, but isn't there a so called racist element in all kinds of music audiences throughout the years? Racism goes in both directions too don't forget. Look at some of the really hateful lyrics in rap music, stuff that could really incite a riot and breeds hate. How many white rappers can you name?

Too me, music isn't a race thing, every culture has music that talks to them in some way or another. Unfortunately though, the racism aspect seems to come from the audience, not from the music (in most cases).

It's a scary debate, but hopefully balanced.

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 pm

pony65k wrote:
Not wanting to incite anything here, but isn't there a so called racist element in all kinds of music audiences throughout the years? Racism goes in both directions too don't forget. Look at some of the really hateful lyrics in rap music, stuff that could really incite a riot and breeds hate. How many white rappers can you name?

Too me, music isn't a race thing, every culture has music that talks to them in some way or another. Unfortunately though, the racism aspect seems to come from the audience, not from the music (in most cases).

It's a scary debate, but hopefully balanced.

René-a-pony

Well said, couldn't agree more
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:08 am

As an African woman, I'd like to say a few words here.
As Rickabilly perfectly said, the places were Rockabilly was born in the early 50's were not the most enlightened ones. So, yes, there were a kind of racism at the beginning, but it was something "normal" at this times in this places. We must not look at this era with our eyes of today (as Fats was saying in another thread : "is it 1959 or 2009 ?", I mean in half a century, things & mentalities has changed)
Time has passed and things are differents now. I've been to a lot of Rockabilly gigs, meeting a lot of Rockabilly legends : Ray Campi, Sleepy LaBeef, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brian Setzer, Slim Jim Phantom... They are all great guys, very polite (a quality that is sometimes a little "disappearing" in Europe) and, most of all, I've always felt good talking with them. It's the same thing with the crowd : I've never felt bad among people while gigs or after gigs. Last example is here where I feel like home among Europeans, Australians and Americans Brian Setzer & Rockabilly fans.
Thanks.
Best to you all.
Nicole
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:45 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I was away for awhile.....did I miss something sexual ? Do tell.
Back to top Go down
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 3:57 am

Setzerado wrote:
As an African woman,

you are an African woman! Since the time that we discussed I do not know anything!
It is true that in this forum is the last of our concerns about our origins or anything else that did not relate directly to Brian!
I personally think this topic has no place in this forum and that we wanted Minnesotafats test by describing it as gay and black!
I think he thought we shock.

What is good when you really make friends on this forum, this is the big surprise at the first meeting!
In my case I turn to my first question: girl or boy?
then gay, black etc... nothing to f**k!
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Racism + Rockabilly = NO WAY MAN!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:51 am

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 am

Setzerado wrote:
As an African woman, I'd like to say a few words here.
As Rickabilly perfectly said, the places were Rockabilly was born in the early 50's were not the most enlightened ones. So, yes, there were a kind of racism at the beginning, but it was something "normal" at this times in this places. We must not look at this era with our eyes of today (as Fats was saying in another thread : "is it 1959 or 2009 ?", I mean in half a century, things & mentalities has changed)
Time has passed and things are differents now. I've been to a lot of Rockabilly gigs, meeting a lot of Rockabilly legends : Ray Campi, Sleepy LaBeef, Jerry Lee Lewis, Brian Setzer, Slim Jim Phantom... They are all great guys, very polite (a quality that is sometimes a little "disappearing" in Europe) and, most of all, I've always felt good talking with them. It's the same thing with the crowd : I've never felt bad among people while gigs or after gigs. Last example is here where I feel like home among Europeans, Australians and Americans Brian Setzer & Rockabilly fans.
Thanks.
Best to you all.
Nicole

Just sitting here at work wasting time looking through old threads when I saw this one and it gave me a bit of a shock! For some reason I always associate the posters on here with their avatars so have always assumed Setzerado was a guy!! No big deal but I wonder if others on here make the same assumptions based on that little pic at the side?

As Rickabilly (is that a he or a she) might sign off...

Bringing back a thread from the grave-abilly!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 1:28 pm

scatcatcnut wrote:
I wonder if others on here make the same assumptions based on that little pic at the side?

Then you're a guitar. And I'm Brian Setzer. Very Happy

With the name Andi I'm confused for the opposite sex all the time. Til they see me in person. Then they assume I've mispronounced it and my name is Annie. Whatever.

dead-thread-derail-abilly,

That Chick You Were With All Night Drinkin'

Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 2:36 am

I like to consider myself somewhat White Falcon-esque!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am

White Falcon? That's so racist! Razz

Fight the power!

Steering the thread back on track-a-billy

*Just so we're clear: It's a J-O-K-E. I'm not calling Brett a racist, just like I wasn't calling Chris a homophobe more than 2 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 am

Rickabilly wrote:
White

*Just so we're clear: It's a J-O-K-E. I'm not calling Brett a racist, just like I wasn't calling Chris a homophobe more than 2 years ago.

Me? Shocked
I wasn´t involved in this conversation (or i forgot)
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:19 am

They do actually make a Black Falcon should anyone feel really strongly about it!! Also a Silver Falcon though probably only the Silver Surfer himself would be moved on grounds of race for that one. Oh and also a Green Falcon for the leprechauns out there - or Billy Lee Riley's band members.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racism in rock-a-billy   Racism in rock-a-billy - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racism in rock-a-billy
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next