Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo

Go down 
+5
tvthewiredturtle
Nikko
sabrejet
knudi
Brett
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brett

Brett

Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Empty
PostSubject: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi all you Guitarslingers ,

i`m thinking for an new echo effect. The "Carl Martin Red Repeat".
I watched a youtube review and it was not bad.

Is it usefull for Rockabilly? (The vid shows a lot Pink Floyd and U2 Sounds)
Or is there a better one for this money (99Euros=125USD)

I`m not looking for an exactly Setzersound,
i`m looking for an warm vintage, slapback echo effect.

Thanks

B
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Brett wrote:
Hi all you Guitarslingers ,

i`m thinking for an new echo effect. The "Carl Martin Red Repeat".
I watched a youtube review and it was not bad.

Is it usefull for Rockabilly? (The vid shows a lot Pink Floyd and U2 Sounds)
Or is there a better one for this money (99Euros=125USD)

I`m not looking for an exactly Setzersound,
i`m looking for an warm vintage, slapback echo effect.

Thanks

B

https://hoodoovoodoolounge.darkbb.com/the-cave-guitar-talk-f4/carl-martin-red-repeat-delay-t415.htm

Smile
Back to top Go down
sabrejet

PostSubject: Red Repeat   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,
it's a VERY useful effect for rockabilly - 4 knobs instaead of 3 as on most old pedals - but thankfully none of that tap tempo nonsense... I hate fx pedals especially the modern programmable digital stuff...far to complicated for a technophobe like me - but It's pretty intuitive and there are sample rockabilly settings on their website which will give you a starter point to work from..
It's damn sturdy, very reliable and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly - I don't use any other effects - just echo and the amp itself but the red repeat is damn good. Oh and I love the retro styling!
Just one thing - make sure to use a mains power adaptor - like any echo pedal using batteries will be expensive and can be disastrous if they start running down mid set..
Oh and make sure to mark your settings with a felt pen/chinagraph as there are no calibrations to keep a note of..

But it's BY FAR the most responsive and (to my ears) most authentic sounding and reliable rockabilly echo in that price range...

Good luck!

Brian (Belfast)
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 pm

I had one for a while too. Brian's dead on with what he said. Don't think of using batteries with this pedal. Mine lasted less than 15 minutes.

I traded it simply for the fact that it took up too much real estate on my pedal board. If it was in a smaller case, it would be back.

I put scotch tape around the knobs and make markings in that instead of the pedal. Either that or find a setting you like and put a strap of tape across the top of the knobs.

Great pedal, you'll like it.

Nikko
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 pm

@Knudi: sorry, i forgot this thread...

@Nikko, Brian: thanks, your answers helps a lot...

btw: i normally plug an echo effect in the effect way of the amp (Fender: poweramp in /out, Marshall return/send).

I heard this years ago:
Time effects like an echo, chorus or reverb has to plug always in the effect way if possible.
Do you all have your echo effect before the amp?

Nice day

B
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 3:00 am

Brett wrote:
@Knudi: sorry, i forgot this thread...

I actually owned one myself until I changed it to the T-Rex Reptile.
I really enjoyed it because of its warm tone, nice slapback and also the option to do other kind of delays like you mentioned, Pink Floyd and U2.

Yes, I have my before the amp Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 am

Before the amp also. I don't have one of them fancy effects loops.

N
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 am

sabrejet wrote:
Hi,
it's a VERY useful effect for rockabilly - 4 knobs instaead of 3 as on most old pedals - but thankfully none of that tap tempo nonsense... I hate fx pedals especially the modern programmable digital stuff...
But it's BY FAR the most responsive and (to my ears) most authentic sounding and reliable rockabilly echo in that price range...

Good luck!

Brian (Belfast)

So youre saying you are okay with this Carl martin RR pedal being that its delay signal is 100% digital (uses a Prince chip). It takes the precious analog signal, converts its delay signal entirely to digital going into the circuits processor chip and then converts it back to analog... Smile

just want to be sure you know that you might inadvertantly be
a technophobe by owning this pedal.. Smile

FWIW..
while not the same price range the
Diamond Memory Lane has
a pure 100% analog delay signal but also
have True bypass AND tap tempo
(these controls are not in the audio path so the pedal can claim
all analog signal path)
take a look inside:
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Ml2board
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Nikko

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 am

It made me 100% digitally happy. Digital happiness is not the same as analog happiness, but really, really close.

N
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:15 am

Nikko wrote:
It made me 100% digitally happy. Digital happiness is not the same as analog happiness, but really, really close.

N

digital manipulation is merely manipulation with digits
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Bought one two months ago, easy to use, nice sound, good value for money.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 am

Nikko wrote:

Great pedal, you'll like it.

Nikko

yes, i do.

get it today and it`s great for this money.

Thanks to all.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:10 am

why not just get the "REAL" deal analog delay for the same price
on ebay? Setzer used one, good enough for me.

BOSS DM-2 or DM-3 from the 80s.. $150
warm rich real 100% analog tone.. priceless

clown clown

btw.. there is also the SIB Mr. ECHO plus if you have to go new skool
there NIKKO... thats full of digi-bits of fun with a big analog taste
that stays in your mouth like a bottle of jameson and a good woman.
Smile
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo SIBMrEchoPlusBig
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:16 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

clown clown
Smile

cause i don´t like the most Boss Products. I don´t know this Echo Pedal, but the most Boss pedals i used it was first "WOW" and later "it sucks, sounds not real" (hope you understand what i mean.)
maybe next time i will try the Boss pedal...

But now i go for Carl.... Cool
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 am

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

clown clown
Smile

cause i don´t like the most Boss Products. I don´t know this Echo Pedal, but the most Boss pedals i used it was first "WOW" and later "it sucks, sounds not real" (hope you understand what i mean.)
maybe next time i will try the Boss pedal...

But now i go for Carl.... Cool

oh I understand the Boss pedal stigma, its gets all of us.. We know they've been around forever, built like a tank dependable with
good marketing then we buy into all of it and yes the WOW factor is
short lived...

BUT I am talking about a specific pedal from the 80s that was intent
on taking the place of TAPE echo... yes there were many companies doing the same thing but they used such cheap ass analog chips that their res either produced only mud for slap back (think AD-88 Ibanez)
or an irritanting ring tone (DOD and MRX time delay did this)..
The BOSS DM-2 had the good matsushita bucket brigade analog chips
and delivered a CLASS A pure analog delay with a great FET bypass
that conditioned your signal even when off (one or 2 of these are okay inline with your guitar and amp, otherwise it needs to be trbypass)

All to say the real secret weapon is actually the Boss DM-3 analog delay from the eighties that succeeded the DM-2 for a few yrs.. again hard to find and run just under $200 but the extra sheen on the warm vintage delay is something VALUABLE to put in line with an EXPENSIVE guitar and amp..
take a look inside this ancient beauty:
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo DM-2_in--2
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo DM-2
Back to top Go down
I'm Incinerator

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:45 am

I'd love to get my hands on a DM-2 or a DM-3, but for now, I'm pretty happy with my D(inosaur size)L-4. 3 delays plus tap tempo...all the noisy artifacts don't bug me much Smile

I've heard pretty good things about the Analogman AR20DL as well. Those are around the same price as a DM-2.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
All to say the real secret weapon is actually the Boss DM-3 analog delay from the eighties that succeeded the DM-2 for a few yrs.. again hard to find and run just under $200 but the extra sheen on the warm vintage delay is something VALUABLE to put in line with an EXPENSIVE guitar and amp..

yep, nothing against to say from my side. As i wrote i never tried this Boss DM pedal.
And for sure it is important to use quality gear.
I`m with you but my new pedal is not crap.
it sounds good, maybe not so good like others but it`s really ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIO-lussoc

i tried at home the Gilmore Shuffle...really cool, neighbours thought i became a hippie again... Cool
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

yep, nothing against to say from my side. As i wrote i never tried this Boss DM pedal.
And for sure it is important to use quality gear.
I`m with you but my new pedal is not crap.
it sounds good, maybe not so good like others but it`s really ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIO-lussoc

i tried at home the Gilmore Shuffle...really cool, neighbours thought i became a hippie again... Cool

oh jeeze, I hope you are not thinking I am implying the carl martin is bad in ANY way man... not so. I'm excited you guys have found a pedal
that will get you there for a good price.. Maybe I should have said that. pale sorry.

gotta remember I still keep a line6 DL4 on the pedal board, no way in hell I'll let that go. It just happens to have the boss DM-3 next to
it!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh, no need to say sorry, Tavo. Everything is fine. Laughing
English is not my first language and this is the Internet.
So Missunderstandings are natural.

delay regards

Brett
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 1:36 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
that conditioned your signal even when off (one or 2 of these are okay inline with your guitar and amp, otherwise it needs to be trbypass)

What is the main difference between DM-2 & DM3 ?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 3:13 pm

knudi wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

What is the main difference between DM-2 & DM3 ?

The DM-2
used an MN3005 and MN 3101 delay chip set

and the DM-3
switched over to a slightly "improved" chip set
the MN3205 and MN3102

This gave a slightly longer delay time ( 1/4 of a millisecond?) with
a cleaner punch to the note more clear decay ... also added an additional dry out for signal splitting.

This pedal was not as popular as the DM-2 but rockabilly and country
cats dig this thing slightly improving signal output and tight echo but
still totall warm, saturated tape fat slapback... read: not a hippy delay
for classic rock..rather a perfect vintage echo that competes with some
tape echoes.

Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Boss_dm3_0001
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Boss_dm2

interesting chinese econo/cheapo analog pedal out:
Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo 585286
Back to top Go down
knudi

knudi

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 4:32 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

hmm, have you tried it ?
Back to top Go down
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:15 am

I use a Malekko Echo 300, bright version. For the money you get a killer vintage style effect. Check this link out. Great pedal and will blow away the Red Repeat, which I had untill I got this and then it went bye bye.

http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php/echo-300b
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:03 am

knudi wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

hmm, have you tried it ?

not interested for myself. I've spent too much time and effort on my
rig to insert a cheap chinese stomper into the arsenal. When you start using NOS Tubes and low capacitance cables and peterson strobostomp tuners,etc.
..yes it does have true bypass but
that is one box that stays on ALL the time so it doesnt matter if
you have a $2K gretsch with all american electronics and a vintage
american amp with vintage nos tubes... plug into anything less than
a run of the mill Boss pedal and you may as well not have spent the time and money on anything more than the usual Guitar Center suspects. Which by the way sound great, no problems for sure.. expensive gear doesnt make you a better guitarist.

Its just that most S.W.A.T. team shooters dont step into their neighborhood Wal-mart sports department for box of generic
ammunition. Smile Smile Smile

It does look like fun though and I am NOT trying to being snooty, I gave a "rockabilly" guitar lesson the other night across town and I sure aint bringing my rig with me. I have two fender solid state amps I use for stunts like that. The fender deluxe 90 has DSP echo and weighs like
20lbs. I would never perform with it but it has a place and purpose for
sure.. It worked just fine to teach a I-mVI-IV-V progression in 6/8 !! Smile
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 11:56 am

hello friends
know pedales news you CMATMODS Deeelay? there are a lot of opinions very best , buzz t campbell plays with this pedal, he made tours of stray every adult training centres with his group in first party
elvis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo   Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carl Martin Red Repeat Echo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next