Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A request for the guitar guys here.

Go down 
+2
tvthewiredturtle
setzerino
6 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

A request for the guitar guys here. Empty
PostSubject: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 am

Could anyone help with the song 'lonely summer nights'

I have the tab from the link on these pages but i cant figure out the chord changes in response to the lyrics. I managed to find another tab on the net but the chords are different and dont quite sound as good as the tab provided here.
Sorry for being a pain but im struggling.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:34 am

setzerino wrote:

I have the tab from the link on these pages but i cant figure out the chord changes in response to the lyrics. I managed to find another tab on the net but the chords are different and dont quite sound as good as the tab provided here.

ooohh where is the capt?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 am

setzerino wrote:

Hi,

I can feel your frustration coming though my computer screen

OK - first I am assuming you are talking about the tab from here ?

If so have you tried this chord chart here ?

Both of these seem to be pretty good and will get you playing along to the record.

Assuming we are talking about the same tab then ignore all the fancy fills, arpeggio's etc that are tabbed out and just concentrate on the basics - there is a chord progression laid out there for all parts of the song - I am also assuming that you can play the chords described and change between them pretty smoothly and quickly? I am asking because it is not a simple 3 chord trick tune and the chords come pretty thick and fast if you are struggling to hit them accurately each time

It may help to break the song down so you can understand its format - this tune has only 2 basic sections - verse and chorus - there is a chord progression for the verse and one for the chorus - each time a verse is played its the same chords, each time a chorus is played its the same chords each time - so you really only need to learn the timing of the chords for one verse and one chorus

the song breaks down like this:

- Intro (one verse without any singing)
- verse 1 (same chords as above)
- verse 2 (and again)
- chorus 1
- verse 3 (same progression as the other verses)
- Sax solo/chorus (its just a full chorus with sax instead of vocals for the first half)
- Verse 4/Ending (same as the other verse with a little ending tacked on)

So, with that in mind you can pick the intro and learn the timing of the chord changes for that - once you have that down you just repeat it for all the other verses. Its the same with the chorus - learn the timing of the chords in the 1st chorus and then play the same thing over the sax solo/chorus section.

OK - assuming you can play the progression just fine then its a matter of timing the changes from one chord to the next - TAB is not too accurate for this as it is impossible to show exactly when a chord should be played in a bar (whereas music notation can do this - but you need to be able to read it Very Happy )

One way to get the timing is to print out the tab and then write the lyrics in over the top of each bar yourself

Another option is the time honoured way of listening / playing / listening / playing over and over again until to can feel the rhythm and the changes - if you use a computer when you practice then windows media player has a slowing down function so you can play the song at half speed but it will still be in the same key - this is good if you are struggling with the speed of the song. If you dont use a computer then something like a Tascam CD-GT2 will do the same thing to a cd.

Counting the beats in the bar can also help 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 etc. You can tap you foot as you count the beats whilst listening to the song - this can also help you sense the rhythm of the changes - one chord on the 1st beat of one bar, one on the 1st beat of the next bar etc

The main thing is that someone else has worked out the chord sequence for you - only you can actually play it so you need to really listen to the song to hear when the next chord is being played - it may be your ear isn't musically developed (mine still isn't but through training it has got a lot better than it was) - you may want to work on this also - it will certainly be a help to your playing in the long term

There is no short cut or easy answer - no-one can play the instrument for you and you will only improve at your own pace but if you keep practising it will come (I promise) Very Happy

I hope this has been of some help

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am

oh my god,many many thanks.

I can pretty much do the chords although im a bit rough.
I will try and use my laptop to practice along with so i can slow the song down. (I struggle practicing along to music as i have the kids running around the house and the missus on facebook all day, im lucky if i find 20 mins quality practice time a day)
Thanks again youve been a great help.
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am

setzerino wrote:
oh my god,many many thanks.

I can pretty much do the chords although im a bit rough.
I will try and use my laptop to practice along with so i can slow the song down. (I struggle practicing along to music as i have the kids running around the house and the missus on facebook all day, im lucky if i find 20 mins quality practice time a day)
Thanks again youve been a great help.

Hi,

Thats cool Cool

Any other questions please let me know

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 4:36 pm

jonhope.. Thank you very much for pointing me to the wmp thing.. I was looking for a program which could slow down a song for a long time but never found anything satisfying.. But this is good enough! Thanx
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am

jonhope,
Thanks for the great explanation and especially for bringeing back the link to the BS tab site that I lost a while ago.

On practising:
When learn the complex parts of songs, I use Winamp with the Pacemaker (pitch and tempo control) and Loop Master Musicians Tool (A/B loops down to bits of seconds, even single notes/chords possible) plugins.

There is also an "Easy Chords" plugin for the recent Winamp versions, I tried it but didnĀ“t find it very useful (too many wrong chords).

Hope that might be useful, too... flower
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Sorry this be a bit late, as I don't post quite as often as I used to, but jonhope gave some pretty good advice. Let me just expand on that a little bit. Learn the form of the tune and some basic music theory behind it, as this will help you navigate the changes. This one is a jazz-standard AABA with 8-bar sections each, with slight modifications on repeats.

Also, the iv (minor 4-chord, Ebm7) is a substitution not diatonic to the key of Bb. So, situations like that can make things tricky.

Finally, the song is in 12/8 time which imparts a slightly diff. feel than 4/4, more of a doo-wop (triplet-feel).

There is no one magic bullet to learning this stuff. It just takes alot of hard work, practice, and the ability to learn more about music and the guitar.

I hope that helps ye out.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A request for the guitar guys here.   A request for the guitar guys here. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A request for the guitar guys here.
Page 1 of 1