Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone remember Psychobilly

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Anyone remember Psychobilly Empty
PostSubject: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:51 pm

On the old forum there was a member called "Psychobilly ". An English kid , quiet knowledgeable. Anybody remember him ,or is he posting under another name. Just curious ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 5:04 am

No idea about him Vincent.... though I must admit that I was thinking of the music genre when I read the subject line... I was about to say that Psychobilly is the worst I've ever heard!!
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Gotta admit i hate that music too. Never understood the moderate success of the Meteors or thier ilk.
Back to top Go down
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Wow. I dunno how to even respond to this.. Psychobilly music has been such a huge part of my life for the past 15 years or so.

I guess I got into it because I got tired of 3,000,000 songs about cars, girls, soda pop shops, etc.. (although you could argue that psychobilly has too many songs about monster movies, zombies, etc..) It was a natural extension for me as a mix of punk and rockabilly; i.e; the music I loved mixed with the music I was raised on. In my experience, there is also less pretension within the subculture. Everyone is more interested in the music than how wide your jeans are cuffed or the brand of grease in your hair. It was a "fuck-you" to what my friends and I had started calling "good dancin' boy music".

I'm surprised that you can't find any redeeming qualities as far as the music goes. The Meteors' first 3 albums are legendary, as well as releases from Batmobile, Long Tall Texans, Guana Batz, etc.. And that's just a few.

Man. Now I'm all fired up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Oh Radioclash,
I must admit that I love some tunes by Batmobile, but more in the direction of rockabilliy, such as Dynamite, Can't Find My Way Back Home and so on... about Guana Batz... never liked them at all except for I'm On Fire and Texas Eyes. The rest is quite unbearable for me
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I also don't really like psychobilly. Or at least what I've heard of it so far.
I like some more "moderate" artists, for example The Rev!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Guitarmaniac wrote:
I also don't really like psychobilly. Or at least what I've heard of it so far.
I like some more "moderate" artists, for example The Rev!

The Rev is psychobilly only by default.. He had a single with "psychobilly" in the title and now he's got the check mark down next to his name forever.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Lord Vincent, the lad you seek went by "Psycho Rockabilly" on a previous incarnation of the board. Garon is his name, and my wallet is much lighter for having made his acquaintance. As a 17-year-old, the young man possessed a wealth of knowledge of rockabilly and psychobilly, and hipped me to a number of artists I might not have checked out otherwise. Johnny Bach, Paul Ansell, The Boss Hoss, and many others. He also kept me straight when I would confuse Ronnie Dawson, Ronnie Hawkins, Dale Hawkins, and Stephen Hawking! Of course, he was a big psychobilly fan as well, and for the most part, that influence eluded me. He and radioclash would get along swimmingly.

I put my name in to be adopted by young Master Garon's parents as his much older, fatter brother a few years back, as his Mum was prone to doing things like hiring Darrel freakin' Higham to play his birthday party!

There's a saying that goes something like "Youth is wasted on the young." In the case of Garon, Kid, Webby, Chris, and a few other youngsters 'round here, I would have to disagree.

Old Man Rickabilly
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Yes ,Rick. Garon is the guy I was thinking of (that sounds a little weird). I remember being quiet taken by how much knowledge he had of the music for such a young guy.
Mr. RadioClash. Hope I didnt insult you or your taste in music. It was not my intention.
I have seen a few Psycho bands such as Sharkbait ,Guana Batz and King Kurt. I'm sure they have thier merits, It's just I could never really relate them back to Rockabilly or Punk.
I am a huge Sex Pistols fan , I,ve met Glen Matlock , saw P.I.L as well as the Pistols live and saw Joe Strummer and the Dammed live once too.
Actually ,come to think of it ,very few of the "modern "rockabilly bands grab me. I fell in love with The Stray Cats of course. I love the earlier albums by the Jets, some Matchbox ,some BlueCats. And Darrell Higham and the gorgeous Imelda May.
I never liked Restless or the Rockats ,except for a few tunes ,I dont think Polecats were that big of a deal. The singers voice is/was awful. And most of the original 50's stuff that you find on these compilation albums is dreadful too ,occasional gems ,but mostly rubbish. The more obvious 50's stuff is what grabs me and rattles my very soul.
I dont like beetroot or turnips either. I dont like most beer , I dont like organized religions , I dont like my Wifes sister in law and me and my brother aint the best of pals either. There's a kid in my sons class at school who I dont like. I dont like Beyonces music but ,man ,I'd love to put a saddle on her back and ride her around my lawn all day.
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Psycho Mommy said: "They'll say she wouldn't even hurt a fly!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Psychobilly   Anyone remember Psychobilly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember Psychobilly
Page 1 of 1