Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

meditations on the Nocturne

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
vic

vic

meditations on the Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: meditations on the Nocturne   meditations on the Nocturne Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm a tasteless slob. I've been playing for 30 years an never put much thought into tone, just plug it in and go was my motto. Until stumbling on this curious little forum that is...I've learned a lot. I've had exactly two effects pedals in 30 years. A crummy 80s digial delay of a name I can't remember but even then I know it sucked, and a danelectro slap back that clearly sounds like crap. But now I have a gen u ine Nocturne and I have seen the light.

My rig is a 5120 with TVJ classics and a fender blues jr. I'm not very good at putting tone into words as others are but what the effect reminds me of is when they scrubbed 500 years of caked on grime off the Cistine Chaple, Michelangelos paintings came to life. Seen as they were intended for the first time in 100s of years. The Nocturne makes my sound bigger and cleaner with out cranking it up and becomming tinny. My korean made cheap gretch and mexican made cheap fender sound much more like the real thing, which is all I was ever after.

Thanks T
Back to top Go down
vic

vic

PostSubject: Re: meditations on the Nocturne   meditations on the Nocturne Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:07 pm

I chased the dragon just a bit more and bought myself an EH memory Toy. So now the 5120 goes into the nocturne, then the memory toy, then into the blues jr amp. It sounds flippin great. I don't know how that analog delay did it but now there is a more creamy crunch, even when the nocturne is off the break up is smoother. When both pedals are on, nocturne gritch about 3:30, no bass roll off cause I'm at living room volume, delay set to slap back...tone nirvana.

On a side note, I fried the nocturne due to my own stupidity. The manufacturer fixed the thing, changed out the knobs to the cool new cream retros, and refused to let me pay for his time, talents, and expertise. Some guy who lives out west or something, wish I had caught his name. tongue Great will be your reward my friend.

Last edited by vic on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: meditations on the Nocturne   meditations on the Nocturne Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Suspect Suspect Suspect hmmm... I love creamy knobs
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meditations on the Nocturne   meditations on the Nocturne Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

meditations on the Nocturne
Page 1 of 1